Who Should Be The Next Coach?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Who Should Be The Next Coach? 

Post#201 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:05 pm

boomershadow wrote:As much as I love Burke's personality and have been impressed by his body of work here over the years, the defense that we were playing against the Heat was not working at all, and it is probably going to get less effective as time goes on and switching becomes more and more a staple.

Hard to know if that's more on Burke or Nate though.

From what I've read, Nate called the offense and defense in game, and dictated what we practiced. Dan taught principles of what we practiced, and worked individually with guys on defense. Popeye and Bayno worked with the big guys on defense.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#202 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#203 » by pacers33granger » Tue Oct 6, 2020 10:20 pm

boomershadow wrote:As much as I love Burke's personality and have been impressed by his body of work here over the years, the defense that we were playing against the Heat was not working at all, and it is probably going to get less effective as time goes on and switching becomes more and more a staple.

Hard to know if that's more on Burke or Nate though.

I'd lean more towards it being personnel related, as well as Miami just having a well run offense with some unique sets.

But it's tough to work the defense where we try to funnel guys to Turner just based on who we were playing. I'd consider Justin our only "good" defender during the playoffs outside of Turner. Brogdon simply could not keep up with Dragic, Vic had mobility issues, Aaron is improving but still young, TJ is still prone to mistakes, Doug suck, and Jakarr was outmatched.

Without a healthy Vic our perimeter defense is pretty lacking.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#204 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:23 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Great article. I'm sold on Finch although we could save millions and just hire Caitlin.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#205 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Anyone have access to IBJ to see if there’s any news of value in here?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#206 » by Wizop » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:27 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Anyone have access to IBJ to see if there’s any news of value in here?
No access. Nice that Bjork still in contention. If Mark's writing in IBJ he can't have the access he once had. I still think we're waiting to interview Miami or LA assistants.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#207 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:16 am

I just really have a feeling that D’Antoni’s agent (who also reps Pritchard) really pushed Indy as the suitor all year as a means to negotiate with Houston, and then planned on the Philly job being his. I think we have been used more as a negotiating ploy than a real suitor. Just my gut instinct. Pritchard has talked too much about modern communication and the new age of players to sign one of the oldest possibilities on the market.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#209 » by pacers33granger » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:27 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I just really have a feeling that D’Antoni’s agent (who also reps Pritchard) really pushed Indy as the suitor all year as a means to negotiate with Houston, and then planned on the Philly job being his. I think we have been used more as a negotiating ploy than a real suitor. Just my gut instinct. Pritchard has talked too much about modern communication and the new age of players to sign one of the oldest possibilities on the market.

I could see this, but it also begs the question of why someone like Joerger was ever even a consideration given his past issues with communication and opting to just do what he wants to do regardless of the rest of the organization's wishes.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#210 » by boomershadow » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I could see this, but it also begs the question of why someone like Joerger was ever even a consideration given his past issues with communication and opting to just do what he wants to do regardless of the rest of the organization's wishes.

I been on the Jorger train mostly because his rosters seem to get the most of their talent, and we havent seemed to do that the last few years.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:37 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#213 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#214 » by Moooose » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Is KOC even a reliable source? To me, he's the least that I would listen to from that Ringer group.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#215 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Caitlin's piece on Cornrows about Finch is certainly impressive. I'm all for a coach that actually likes our roster.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#216 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:19 pm

Moooose wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Is KOC even a reliable source? To me, he's the least that I would listen to from that Ringer group.

Yeah, I don’t know. He’s a big enough name that I shared it is all. I don’t assume anyone is 100% except for when Shams or Woj are breaking it. But KOC broke some stuff last offseason. Hard to say. Also, hard to say that Finch is the front runner when 2 big possibilities are still to have their in person interviews. Seems a bit hasty.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#217 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Wizop wrote:Caitlin's piece on Cornrows about Finch is certainly impressive. I'm all for a coach that actually likes our roster.

Caitlin is very talented. Have enjoyed reading her stuff for sometime.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm

From Shams’ recent article on The Athletic:
Indiana Pacers

Indiana will interview Heat assistants Chris Quinn and Dan Craig soon, trim their pool of candidates to a few finalists for further in-person interviews next week, and zero in on a decision afterward, sources said. The Pacers have interviewed a double-digit amount of candidates, including Pelicans assistant Chris Finch, Raptors assistant Nate Bjorkgren, Chauncey Billups, and former Kings and Grizzlies coach Dave Joerger.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#219 » by boomershadow » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:21 pm

Wizop wrote:Caitlin's piece on Cornrows about Finch is certainly impressive. I'm all for a coach that actually likes our roster.

I nabbed this off the Pacers reddit, and I like a lot of what I saw in the first 15 minutes or so.

The really basic "corner game" that he shows around 08:15 is beautiful. I'm not really an Xs and 0s type of fan, but the ball gets thrown to the big at the elbow, and then there are three options that happen almost simultaneously. The guy in the corner cuts to the basket, and if he doesn't get the ball immediately spaces out to the 3 point line on the other side. The ball then goes to the wing behind the 3 point line. He can shoot or go right back and get a pick from the big he got the ball from. Maybe he gets to the rim, if not then the ball goes right back out to the 3 point line on the other side to start a new play. That's the type of offensive system I would love to see the Pacers run.

Sabonis running that play from the elbow would be awesome. And it's not like Sabonis never got the ball at the elbow under Nate, but there's just a level of complexity in there that we didn't see with the Pacers for a few years now. Get guys making crisp cuts and moving the ball instead of standing around looking like they don't know where they're supposed to be.

If this is the direction we go, I'm all about it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#220 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers