ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#261 » by Ernest » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:13 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Ernest wrote:Signing a vet min contract to a former star and the 2019 season are really not relatable. Cousins- or anyone we sign- could easily be cut. I haven't really followed Cousins, has he been a coaching problem after sac?

Actually they are very relatable considering the next season after 2019 was this past one and he was available again and repped. Y Jeff Schwartz and we needed a big- so it’s very relatable as to why we didn’t have interest.

It would also be relatable again as I said he has a history of locker room problems and now Injury problems and btw he’s gonna be a laker again so it’s totally a moot point

I was meaning it this way: from reports, Kyrie was the problem in 2019. There was no way we were just going to cut him. If we signed someone now to a min contract and they caused problems we could cut them. That is how I mean they are not comparable.

Now sure. Maybe Brad was a hard no on DMC and maybe he still is. If that is the case fine. Maybe DMC is really toast, but people on here were saying Rondo was toast for years and he just won a title as about the 3rd best guy on the team. I have no idea where DMC is at mentally or physically and no one posting here does either. All I'm saying is that if everything went right, it would be a huge boost for us. If things didn't go right we would lose what 2 million dollars? Seems like a possible low risk high reward.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#262 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:05 am

DMC hasn't been a good basketball player for a while. Golden State couldn't even play him two seasons ago in the playoffs, he was so bad. I dunno if two years and another injury will have done much good for him. If the Celtics could take a no-risk shot at him that's great, but I'm sure that's how every team views him, and he's not signing in Boston when he could probably get picked up by either LA team in a second. He's a vet min or taxpayer MLE guy and I find it hard to believe he would choose Boston if everyone is offering the same contract. Same deal with Rondo; LA has his Bird rights so why would they let him leave? Doubt he has any desire to leave LeBron regardless. I don't think I could handle regular season Rondo.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#263 » by Ernest » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 am

Agreed. We can talk all day about if he would do well here or not but the chances of him wanting to come here are probably low. That's probably true for a lot of guys. Hopefully Danny will try to get everyone and come up with someone. It was kind of pitiful how thin our bench was this year. I'm I'd danny I' calling DMC and Melo and Howard, I'd even call Vince Carter and beg him to do another season. There have got to be a few more guys to add to a list like this. Point being we are very close right now. We need some vet help to go for it.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#264 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:10 am

Read on Twitter

Bring back Larry Legend!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,317

Post#265 » by Froob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:15 am

Here’s my plan

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#266 » by Froob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:40 pm

They should tell Rondo if he returns and wins a championship, they’ll retire #9

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#267 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:57 pm

Ernest wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Ernest wrote:Signing a vet min contract to a former star and the 2019 season are really not relatable. Cousins- or anyone we sign- could easily be cut. I haven't really followed Cousins, has he been a coaching problem after sac?

Actually they are very relatable considering the next season after 2019 was this past one and he was available again and repped. Y Jeff Schwartz and we needed a big- so it’s very relatable as to why we didn’t have interest.

It would also be relatable again as I said he has a history of locker room problems and now Injury problems and btw he’s gonna be a laker again so it’s totally a moot point

I was meaning it this way: from reports, Kyrie was the problem in 2019. There was no way we were just going to cut him. If we signed someone now to a min contract and they caused problems we could cut them. That is how I mean they are not comparable.

Now sure. Maybe Brad was a hard no on DMC and maybe he still is. If that is the case fine. Maybe DMC is really toast, but people on here were saying Rondo was toast for years and he just won a title as about the 3rd best guy on the team. I have no idea where DMC is at mentally or physically and no one posting here does either. All I'm saying is that if everything went right, it would be a huge boost for us. If things didn't go right we would lose what 2 million dollars? Seems like a possible low risk high reward.

I think kyrie was the biggest problem but there were many others. He by far was the worst and set the tone but having guys in contract years playing for themselves and thinking they are better , as good or more deserving than the role given and the player in front of them, had a spider web effect that trickled through the whole team.

(Cousins would be playing for a long term contract and imo think hes better than the role given to him)

If it doesn’t go right we waste another year of kemba last all star years, brown and Tatum don’t develop again and brad stevens leadership gets called into question and perhaps this time the other players tune him out for good.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#268 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Ernest wrote:Agreed. We can talk all day about if he would do well here or not but the chances of him wanting to come here are probably low. That's probably true for a lot of guys. Hopefully Danny will try to get everyone and come up with someone. It was kind of pitiful how thin our bench was this year. I'm I'd danny I' calling DMC and Melo and Howard, I'd even call Vince Carter and beg him to do another season. There have got to be a few more guys to add to a list like this. Point being we are very close right now. We need some vet help to go for it.

Love ya buddy but those are the last 4 calls I’d make and aren’t getting us over the top. Howard, dmc, melo & washed Vince? maybe for ice cubes big 3
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#269 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:21 pm

You guys have got to be kidding with this DMC stuff. Even if he was healthy what kind of "veteran leadership" is he going to bring? How to tank a franchise single-handidly? What has he ever done?
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#270 » by The Corey's » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Froob wrote:They should tell Rondo if he returns and wins a championship, they’ll retire #9

Are we going to ignore how bad of a shooter rondo is?

Who's going to fill the void for his inability to shoot consistently when this team already has 5 or 6 guys who go through cold stretches?

We need someone who can shoot if they can't do anything else. Rondo isn't the answer. I saw that movie already and it sucked.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#271 » by Froob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:32 pm

The Corey's wrote:
Froob wrote:They should tell Rondo if he returns and wins a championship, they’ll retire #9

Who's going to fill the void for his inability to shoot consistently when this team already has 5 or 6 guys who go through cold stretches?

We need someone who can shoot if they can't do anything else. Rondo isn't the answer. I saw that movie already and it sucked.

Rondo just shot 40% from 3 in the playoffs.

RIP The_Hater
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#272 » by The Corey's » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:34 pm

Froob wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

Rondo just shot 40% from 3 in the playoffs.

Yea and he's the only one who showed up in game 7 of the 2010 finals too.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen enough of him to know thats an anomaly and not who he is.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#273 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:41 pm

I don’t think rondo will happen but as a die hard c’s fan I’d love it just for sentimental reasons....I’d worry tho that the fact he really takes the whole regular season off would be a dangerous trait for the young guns.

That worries me. He’s great in the playoffs - I just worry about jt and brown getting any bad habits.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#274 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 pm

Someone tell me if I’m right? if we traded Hayward for expiring contracts equal to his salary- we still wouldn’t have max space correct?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#275 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:09 pm

I’m fully on board with Rondo to replace Wanamaker. We could really use a championship vet. I feel like our young guys can get caught up in the ups and downs of playoff games and series and a player who can speak to them from experience would help. It seems like Rondo has mellowed out and could be that.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#276 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:38 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:Someone tell me if I’m right? if we traded Hayward for expiring contracts equal to his salary- we still wouldn’t have max space correct?

Correct once Tatum's max deal kicks in. That's why the Celtics have to extend Hayward or trade him this off season otherwise they will lose a valuable asset for nothing like Kyrie Irving and Al Horford. Ainge got lucky that he was able to scramble and sign Kemba Walker after Horford left.

The Gordon Hayward decision is Step 1 to the Celtics off season.

Celtics are effectively over the salary cap until Kemba Walker's deal expires in 2023-2024 unless Ainge has a major sell off. Reason why you can't just let Hayward walk away if he opts in.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#277 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Shams just confirmed it: Rondo is opting out.

Also says AD is staying and Jerami Grant, Dragic, KCP are all likely staying. And that Dwight has interest from the Warriors.

https://theathletic.com/2140002/2020/10/15/nba-free-agency-news-and-rumors-anthony-davis-and-lakers-decisions-heat-contracts-and-more-goran-dragic-news/
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,435

Post#278 » by Triple7 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:27 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

I agree at some point you need to roll the dice....don’t think it’s on DeMarcus cousins nor do I think Dwight would work here or anywhere else where they didn’t have a lebron

Well if it’s for the minimum, then it would had been worth the risk. I don’t think Danny thought we could really contend last season.

Worth the risk of having a malcontent In the locker room after the train wreck of 2019? No thanks. Last year was all about making the game fun and having a great locker room which would allow Tatum and brown to grow like they did.

There was no reason to take a risk on either coming off the horrible year of kyrie and underachieving. This year? I could see more of a risk but again if you’re gonna take a risk- do it on an injury prone player not a character issue guy and def not on a player who is BOTH

For a non-guaranteed minimum contract? Come on! We could just cut him the second he poses any problems. The fact was we needed a big man, and Dwight could have helped us. He knew that was his last chance, and he played great with his role for the Lakers. Well playing with established vets like Lebron and Rondo probably helped Dwight with his role, as opposed to playing with our young team, and with Stevens!
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,954

Post#279 » by leper-con » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 pm

Daryl Morrey out at Rockets GM.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#280 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:42 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Someone tell me if I’m right? if we traded Hayward for expiring contracts equal to his salary- we still wouldn’t have max space correct?

Correct once Tatum's max deal kicks in. That's why the Celtics have to extend Hayward or trade him this off season otherwise they will lose a valuable asset for nothing like Kyrie Irving and Al Horford. Ainge got lucky that he was able to scramble and sign Kemba Walker after Horford left.

The Gordon Hayward decision is Step 1 to the Celtics off season.

Celtics are effectively over the salary cap until Kemba Walker's deal expires in 2023-2024 unless Ainge has a major sell off. Reason why you can't just let Hayward walk away if he opts in.

That’s how I understood it as well jut sometimes I need someone to articulate it for me and you did a great job thanks man

Return to Boston Celtics