Around the League: 2020 Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Around the League: 2020 Offseason 

Post#1 » by Sixerscan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Probably going to end up being the 2020-2021 offseason but let’s keep it simple for now.

Sounds like the plan is draft on 11/18, then free agency on 11/30 or 12/1. Not sure when if there’s gonna be some sort of moratorium on trades before that. Guessing you don’t see much until they figure out what the cap is going to be.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,532

Re: Around the League: 2020 Offseason 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,804

Post#3 » by Negrodamus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#4 » by Lou_23 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm

:eek2:
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#5 » by the_process » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I bet you he wishes he had taken the Sixers job two years ago.

What are the chances he ends up here? I’d give him the keys to the franchise.
phiphan
Head Coach
And1: 2,331

Post#6 » by phiphan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:28 pm

Please get Morey
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,754

Post#7 » by Sixersftw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 pm

Please. If you can give me Morey, Joerger, and fire Scott O'Neil then I'll forgive it all Harris. Okay maybe not everything but like, a lot.

Honestly, if we got those 3 things I'd say, successful season.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM

Post#8 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:59 pm

The ownership is cheap. They can’t afford Morey.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#9 » by davesilver » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Please morey
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#10 » by davesilver » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 pm

76ciology wrote:The ownership is cheap. They can’t afford Morey.

What makes you say they’re cheap (aside from selling 2nd rounders)? They’re dishing out a ton to Doc. I think they’d overspend on Morey.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#11 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:05 pm

Not a fan of Morey.

He is like MDA. He is too reliant on one style and lacks the flexibility.

I think that micro ball with heavy ISO and very low PnR team he built are a fire-able offense.

But I’d definitely want him as a consultant, just not the head honcho of our front office.

He’s be perfect for the Kings with the science experiment that Vivek is trying to build
76ciology
RealGM

Post#12 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:06 pm

davesilver wrote:
76ciology wrote:The ownership is cheap. They can’t afford Morey.

What makes you say they’re cheap (aside from selling 2nd rounders)? They’re dishing out a ton to Doc. I think they’d overspend on Morey.

Im learning the art of being sarcastic
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#13 » by the_process » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Please. If you can give me Morey, Joerger, and fire Scott O'Neil then I'll forgive it all Harris. Okay maybe not everything but like, a lot.

Honestly, if we got those 3 things I'd say, successful season.

Firing Scott O’Neil makes up for at least 75%.
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#14 » by Phillyboy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:52 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Probably going to end up being the 2020-2021 offseason but let’s keep it simple for now.

Sounds like the plan is draft on 11/18, then free agency on 11/30 or 12/1. Not sure when if there’s gonna be some sort of moratorium on trades before that. Guessing you don’t see much until they figure out what the cap is going to be.

Hope I'm not asking a silly question or two but with this crazy season I have to ask. :)

Will teams be allowed to make trades on draft night? Be able to discuss them ahead of time? Thanks Sixerscan ahead of time
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#15 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:53 am

Phillyboy wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Probably going to end up being the 2020-2021 offseason but let’s keep it simple for now.

Hope I'm not asking a silly question or two but with this crazy season I have to ask. :)

Will teams be allowed to make trades on draft night? Be able to discuss them ahead of time? Thanks Sixerscan ahead of time

I haven't seen anything but I'd be very surprised if they couldn't. It will probably be like the draft normally is, where certain trades can be just be made, but others because of certain CBA reasons can be agreed to in principle but not executed until the new league year starts (normally the same time as free agency).

And you and I both know that whatever the rules are, people are going to find a way to talk :lol:
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#16 » by Phillyboy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Phillyboy wrote:

I haven't seen anything but I'd be very surprised if they couldn't. It will probably be like the draft normally is, where certain trades can be just be made, but others because of certain CBA reasons can be agreed to in principle but not executed until the new league year starts (normally the same time as free agency).

And you and I both know that whatever the rules are, people are going to find a way to talk :lol:

Sixerscan thanks for the info. I was just wondering about tampering rules in a crazy season. It's an aggressive schedule indeed and IMO when schedules are shortened and time is of the essence it often generates surprise deals and other opportunities for those who are prepared. 30 GMs and their teams all say they want to win and many will see if they can get in on the fast action. Our team included. Are our FO people really clueless? Putting past aside for a moment the real test begins now that the season is officially over.
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,687

Post#17 » by stormi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:29 pm

in for the shambles and mourning
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#18 » by rzzzzz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:50 pm

I'm sure Daryl's full page appreciation to Harden is strictly sentimental, with no thought towards future contingency.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#19 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Phillyboy wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Phillyboy wrote:

Sixerscan thanks for the info. I was just wondering about tampering rules in a crazy season. It's an aggressive schedule indeed and IMO when schedules are shortened and time is of the essence it often generates surprise deals and other opportunities for those who are prepared. 30 GMs and their teams all say they want to win and many will see if they can get in on the fast action. Our team included. Are our FO people really clueless? Putting past aside for a moment the real test begins now that the season is officially over.

I doubt the league will enforce the tampering rules any more strongly than they have in the past, which is to say they won't enforce them unless someone acts like Magic Johnson and does it in such an obvious and public way that they leave the league with no choice.

Our front office surely engages in such covert tampering too, unless you think Al Horford such coincidentally decided to sign here within an hour of free agency opening (the Celtics claimed otherwise as I recall).
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#20 » by BullyKing » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Phillyboy wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I haven't seen anything but I'd be very surprised if they couldn't. It will probably be like the draft normally is, where certain trades can be just be made, but others because of certain CBA reasons can be agreed to in principle but not executed until the new league year starts (normally the same time as free agency).

I doubt the league will enforce the tampering rules any more strongly than they have in the past, which is to say they won't enforce them unless someone acts like Magic Johnson and does it in such an obvious and public way that they leave the league with no choice.

Our front office surely engages in such covert tampering too, unless you think Al Horford such coincidentally decided to sign here within an hour of free agency opening (the Celtics claimed otherwise as I recall).

We don't tamper. Tampering is where you do things in secret that you're not allowed to do. Based on the rumored deal for Horford way in advance and letting the world know he wanted Thybulle, Elton is the anti-tamperer - he is an open book.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers