ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors interested in Dwight Howard

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 360

Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#1 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 pm

If true, they may go after a wing all along. Unless they go really big with both Wiseman and Howard? Probably not as our 5 position would be too stacked.

Personally, don’t want nothing to do with Howard.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Re: Warriors interested in Dwight Howard 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:02 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:If true, they may go after a wing all along. Unless they go really big with both Wiseman and Howard? Probably not as our 5 position would be too stacked.

I do want nothing to do with Howard.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#3 » by cdubbz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:07 pm

I don’t mind Dwight at all. He’s healthy for once, he’s in phenomenal shape, and he’s a veteran.

Makes sense not to waste the #2 pick on Wiseman when we can Get veteran bigs and young athletic wings. Howard can play 20mpg in the regular season . But Going extra big with Howard and Wiseman would be a straight move to battle AD
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#4 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:If true, they may go after a wing all along. Unless they go really big with both Wiseman and Howard? Probably not as our 5 position would be too stacked.

I do want nothing to do with Howard.

I don’t want *anything* to do with Howard (Stupid autocorrect).
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst

Post#5 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:38 pm

If we get Howard, then they probably don't see anything special in Wiseman (Then, again, The Logo isn't around to help with that decision, lol). So, Deni Avdija, it is.

Curry/Poole
Thompson/Lee
Wiggins/Avdija/Tuscano
Green/Paschall
Howard/Looney/Chriss/Smiley

If we end up drafting Avdija, I have a feeling he will play/be more a 4 than a 3. He loves to get on the break after securing the defensive rebound, and dish it to a cutting player or someone on the perimeter.. much like Draymond. His one-on-one defense against the stronger 4s or 5s will be of concern, of course. Kid's gotta get stronger.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#6 » by whatisacenter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:40 pm

I am not a fan of Dwight but I see the fit...I just don't want to cheer for him
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#7 » by Onus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Finally a rumor I can get behind
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#8 » by Mylie10 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Rather have this dude

Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#9 » by donkeylips » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 pm

im ok with signing dwight but i want wiseman
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#10 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm torn. I've not liked Howard's game and fit with the Warriors' scheme, but part of that was based on the assumption that he couldn't subvert his ego and serve as a role player (rather than a star). This year with the Lakers, he did that, but that was also (in my opinion) because LA has 2 Alpha dogs (Lebron and Davis) who not only could help keep him in line, but could compete physically with him. While the Warriors have leaders, they tend to be more quiet leaders by example (other than Draymond), and none of them can compete with Dwight physically. So I'm not sure he would be as apt to take a lesser role with us.

And I'm not sure he would want to play on the Warriors anyway. Back in 2016, I was in Aspen in June and crazily ran into Howard literally the morning after the Warriors had lost Game 7 to Cleveland (on Kyrie's shot). He was a nice guy, and we chatted for a few minutes. I identified myself as a Warriors fan - asked him if he was planning on staying in Houston (he had a player option - which he declined literally 2-3 days later), and his thoughts on the finals. He chuckled - I remember him saying something like "Draymond got what he deserved" (in having been suspended), and I got the feeling that he had no interest in being part of the Warriors (at least at that time). Remember that a couple of summers earlier (2013), the Warriors had vied for his services in free agency, and he had turned them down then. So would he want to join the Warriors now? I don't know. But if he did? I'd offer him the full MLE for 2 years, and be happy with it.

And if I had a time machine and could then retroactively go back to the draft (which, unfortunately, is before free agency), I'd trade down from 2, try to get into the range between 4 and 8, and would target Vassell and Avdija, in that order.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#11 » by HiRez » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Going to be really hard for me to like this move. We don't need knuckleheads on this team and Dwight is King Knucklehead. Hoping this scheme falls through, I don't care for what reason. Having said that, Javale was a knuckehead and was OK on this team so maybe they can make it work.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#12 » by ahmetmekin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:28 pm

I would prefer Ibaka but Dwight is also fine addition. If they do not have a plan to trade Looney then probably this means that we do not draft a C.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Eff Dwight
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#14 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Rather have this dude

Why didn't you say so before now?
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#15 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

Why didn't you say so before now?

Yeah, first I've heard Mylie mention it.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mylie10 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm

Did you scroll to pic two?

I know I’m redundant and sorry for that. Just can’t get excited about Dwight Howard when so might have a kid built like a young Dwight Howard who will be a better more versatile option.
Khoee wrote “
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#17 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Looks like Tarzan, plays like...nobody knows who he plays like.

The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#18 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:56 pm

I'd rather get a big man strong enough to defend big centers and quick enough to credibly defend AD as well. That might be asking too much from FA though.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#19 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:I'm torn. I've not liked Howard's game and fit with the Warriors' scheme, but part of that was based on the assumption that he couldn't subvert his ego and serve as a role player (rather than a star). This year with the Lakers, he did that, but that was also (in my opinion) because LA has 2 Alpha dogs (Lebron and Davis) who not only could help keep him in line, but could compete physically with him. While the Warriors have leaders, they tend to be more quiet leaders by example (other than Draymond), and none of them can compete with Dwight physically. So I'm not sure he would be as apt to take a lesser role with us.

And I'm not sure he would want to play on the Warriors anyway. Back in 2016, I was in Aspen in June and crazily ran into Howard literally the morning after the Warriors had lost Game 7 to Cleveland (on Kyrie's shot). He was a nice guy, and we chatted for a few minutes. I identified myself as a Warriors fan - asked him if he was planning on staying in Houston (he had a player option - which he declined literally 2-3 days later), and his thoughts on the finals. He chuckled - I remember him saying something like "Draymond got what he deserved" (in having been suspended), and I got the feeling that he had no interest in being part of the Warriors (at least at that time). Remember that a couple of summers earlier (2013), the Warriors had vied for his services in free agency, and he had turned them down then. So would he want to join the Warriors now? I don't know. But if he did? I'd offer him the full MLE for 2 years, and be happy with it.

And if I had a time machine and could then retroactively go back to the draft (which, unfortunately, is before free agency), I'd trade down from 2, try to get into the range between 4 and 8, and would target Vassell and Avdija, in that order.

We could also go back a couple of years in this forum. Before they signed Javale, there was talk about signing Howard IIRC and he was quoted as saying he wasn't sure he wanted to play for the Warriors.

In any event, I don't know if he'd be as effective on the Warriors because he was allowed to push people, get away with a lot of offensive fouls. He got in Jokic's face and tangled up with him, got him in foul trouble once or twice.

I don't know that outside the Lakers, he'd get that kind of officiating.
Ilovethebay
Senior
And1: 166

Post#20 » by Ilovethebay » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Did you scroll to pic two?

I know I’m redundant and sorry for that. Just can’t get excited about Dwight Howard when so might have a kid built like a young Dwight Howard who will be a better more versatile option.

While risky, i'd say get both of them. Wiseman is not ready to make a significant contribution next year. Being able to practice against DH in practice every day would pay huge dividends in the future. Love him or hate him DH is still probably the strongest dude in the league. While I'm not totally sold on Wiseman, I do see him as a player who can eventually get you those tough buckets down the stretch. Love the way he can turn left or right shoulder and hit the fade-away. At his height and wingspan it will be virtually unblockable.

Return to Golden State Warriors