ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,463

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#3121 » by DG88 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:47 pm

Adam Spinella dives into the Atlantic division on each teams picks and what prospects he feels would work for them.

WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#3122 » by WeTheNorth123 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:15 am

check out the question at the 1.42 mark

YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,485

Post#3123 » by YelloC » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:38 am

When you consider all the variables that will factor into next season, this might be the year to draft young or stash overseas. There may not be a G league season and the possibility that player development could be hindered or paused due to Covid19 means that draftees could lose a year of development.
If the international leagues are functioning but not the G league, Raptors might be better off leaving a player overseas for a season. It would defer the first rounders salary for a year and if the player exceeds expectations the Raptors would have another asset to package.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#3124 » by God Squad » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:50 am

Dalek wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Amazing the amount of love/attention Nate Knight is getting in this thread lol you would think he's a top 10 player slipping in the draft.

Ha ha! I think there are a couple posters driving this interest (I am one of them). I don't have any idea if this guy is in play for any pick, or if they plan to sign him as an undrafted free agent, but the one thing is for certain: Masai/Bobby will likely shock the NBA media and draft a guy that no one will expect.

The only time I think I was ever right about a pick involving Masai was OG, and that was a fluke that he fell to the Toronto pick. I don't expect the same to happen again, but maybe a guy like Josh Green or RJ Hampton or Tyrell Terry falls and pick 29 is easy.

Knight, for all the attention he gets here is practically buried in mainstream draft sites. He is a mid-major big who led the NCAA in PER. He is eerily similar to Pascal Siakam being a mobile big who has some tricks in his bag, and is a great competitor with a high motor. It would be a shock if they drafted him at 29, but Siakam was picked at 27, so anything can happen.

The one guy I fully believe that his stock has skyrocketed and no longer in play for us unless a move is made. I see him picked as high as the top 7 and low as 14.
BallstriKer
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#3125 » by BallstriKer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:57 pm

I've watched Tyrell Terry's media availability and yes, the kid's stock has skyrocketed judging by the number of teams that have reached out to him. He's definitely not in play at 29, and he's for sure gonna be one of the more popular picks for a lot of teams drafting in the mid to late lotto. Also the kid is just really serious about all this, he's got a chef cooking his daily meals, all kinds of personal trainers and whatnot. I don't know how common that is for a player that's yet to be drafted, but they sure are putting a lot of resources into this thing.

The good news is watching Maledon's media availability, he might actually slip to us. He was saying that only 9 teams had reached out to him, and may be it's a language thing, but he didn't exude that "they all want me really bad" confidence that Tyrell has. So may be we get lucky and he slips. Don't know if the Raps were one of the teams that reached out though since noone asked that question (Terry said he interviewed with the Raps).
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#3126 » by pr0gr4m » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:35 pm

BallstriKer wrote:I've watched Tyrell Terry's media availability and yes, the kid's stock has skyrocketed judging by the number of teams that have reached out to him. He's definitely not in play at 29, and he's for sure gonna be one of the more popular picks for a lot of teams drafting in the mid to late lotto. Also the kid is just really serious about all this, he's got a chef cooking his daily meals, all kinds of personal trainers and whatnot. I don't know how common that is for a player that's yet to be drafted, but they sure are putting a lot of resources into this thing.

The good news is watching Maledon's media availability, he might actually slip to us. He was saying that only 9 teams had reached out to him, and may be it's a language thing, but he didn't exude that "they all want me really bad" confidence that Tyrell has. So may be we get lucky and he slips. Don't know if the Raps were one of the teams that reached out though since noone asked that question (Terry said he interviewed with the Raps).

I would prefer Maledon he can be a good system player now and develop as we build on continuity with our roster into the new decade. He is a SGA potential player and he has good habits and discipline instilled in him from his prior system.

I doubt either falls to 29 though. I would be okay with taking a risk on Hughes if we want to take a risk and try to develop a scorer or Reed if we want to be safe.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#3127 » by Psubs » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:43 pm

God Squad wrote:
Dalek wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Amazing the amount of love/attention Nate Knight is getting in this thread lol you would think he's a top 10 player slipping in the draft.

Ha ha! I think there are a couple posters driving this interest (I am one of them). I don't have any idea if this guy is in play for any pick, or if they plan to sign him as an undrafted free agent, but the one thing is for certain: Masai/Bobby will likely shock the NBA media and draft a guy that no one will expect.

The only time I think I was ever right about a pick involving Masai was OG, and that was a fluke that he fell to the Toronto pick. I don't expect the same to happen again, but maybe a guy like Josh Green or RJ Hampton or Tyrell Terry falls and pick 29 is easy.

Knight, for all the attention he gets here is practically buried in mainstream draft sites. He is a mid-major big who led the NCAA in PER. He is eerily similar to Pascal Siakam being a mobile big who has some tricks in his bag, and is a great competitor with a high motor. It would be a shock if they drafted him at 29, but Siakam was picked at 27, so anything can happen.

The one guy I fully believe that his stock has skyrocketed and no longer in play for us unless a move is made. I see him picked as high as the top 7 and low as 14.

Agreed, if Terry measures out at a legit 6'3 then there's not that much that separates him, Haliburton, Hayes and Ball as a prospect.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,813

Post#3128 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:58 pm

WeTheNorth123 wrote:check out the question at the 1.42 mark

Nice.

He has size and shooting on the wing, we need that. I was hoping we'd give him a look.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,463

Post#3129 » by DG88 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 pm

nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#3130 » by nabbs » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 pm

BallstriKer wrote:I've watched Tyrell Terry's media availability and yes, the kid's stock has skyrocketed judging by the number of teams that have reached out to him. He's definitely not in play at 29, and he's for sure gonna be one of the more popular picks for a lot of teams drafting in the mid to late lotto. Also the kid is just really serious about all this, he's got a chef cooking his daily meals, all kinds of personal trainers and whatnot. I don't know how common that is for a player that's yet to be drafted, but they sure are putting a lot of resources into this thing.

Terry might be someone the Raps trade up for. Tbh I like Maledon's size and creation ability. He is so young too. Masai scouted him

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#3131 » by Dalek » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 pm

nabbs wrote:

Terry might be someone the Raps trade up for. Tbh I like Maledon's size and creation ability. He is so young too. Masai scouted him

I also doubt Terry falls to the Raps so if they are interested, they will need to trade Norm to move up. Not sure they will find takers, but Boston has so many picks that they might part with one for Norman. I puke in my mouth just thinking about Norm in Boston.

Maledon really impressed me in his media availability. He kind of seemed nervous at first, but then you get the picture of his character. The guy is just serious about the game, wants to be his own player not the next Tony Parker, and wants to go to the NBA right away to play. So he isn't open to a draft and stash, so those playoff teams will need to have roster space for him, which could make Toronto appealing because I think they are open to playing their prospects through mistakes (at least in limited minutes).

I re-watched his film and he seems less like a traditional PG, and more like a score-first guard who knows how to make the right pass, but it is only after he looks for his own shot. He reminds me a bit of Shai Gilgous-Alexander with his size and pacing. I don't really like his burst, but his positional size is pretty interesting. He would be a good size for SG or PG and with that wingspan they could make him into a defensive weapon.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#3132 » by nabbs » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Dalek wrote:
nabbs wrote:

I also doubt Terry falls to the Raps so if they are interested, they will need to trade Norm to move up. Not sure they will find takers, but Boston has so many picks that they might part with one for Norman. I puke in my mouth just thinking about Norm in Boston.

Maledon really impressed me in his media availability. He kind of seemed nervous at first, but then you get the picture of his character. The guy is just serious about the game, wants to be his own player not the next Tony Parker, and wants to go to the NBA right away to play. So he isn't open to a draft and stash, so those playoff teams will need to have roster space for him, which could make Toronto appealing because I think they are open to playing their prospects through mistakes (at least in limited minutes).

I re-watched his film and he seems less like a traditional PG, and more like a score-first guard who knows how to make the right pass, but it is only after he looks for his own shot. He reminds me a bit of Shai Gilgous-Alexander with his size and pacing. I don't really like his burst, but his positional size is pretty interesting. He would be a good size for SG or PG and with that wingspan they could make him into a defensive weapon.

Boston or Utah potentially. It depends on who they like. Norm +29 should be good enough to get 14 or somewhere around there. The thing about him is his age, size, off ball ability and PG skills. He can make all the reads and passes you want a point guard to make and his shot is projectable. Having a 6'5 guard with legit PG skills would be such a nice change.

Terry gives me poor man's Steph vibes

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#3133 » by Indeed » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm

nabbs wrote:
Dalek wrote:
nabbs wrote:

Boston or Utah potentially. It depends on who they like. Norm +29 should be good enough to get 14 or somewhere around there. The thing about him is his age, size, off ball ability and PG skills. He can make all the reads and passes you want a point guard to make and his shot is projectable. Having a 6'5 guard with legit PG skills would be such a nice change.

Terry gives me poor man's Steph vibes

I don't see why they want Powell and his 2 years contract that runs up to 2022.
Jazz would have Gobert and another max player if they don't take on Powell's contract.
Celtics would have someone close to max in replacing Hayward if they don't take on Powell's contract.

It is hard to imagine a team want a contract that prevent them from signing a max player at 2021. Those teams are asking for a pick to take these kind of contract (eg. Sacramento). It will be a 2 years contract for a 2 year contract for Powell, we are not getting an expiring as Powell is not having teams lining up to sign him after his contract is over.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#3134 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:51 pm

nabbs wrote:

May actually like Maledon just as much, if not more so that would be amazing it this happened.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#3135 » by Dalek » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:54 pm

nabbs wrote:Terry gives me poor man's Steph vibes

I think his floor is exactly that, which is really equivalent to Seth Curry. That is not a bad base to work with and could get him on the floor sooner. I watched a lot of his AAU film and Terry does have pretty good passing ability that was not shown as much in college.

Read on Twitter

To me, Terry could end up like the next Trae Young. If you listen to Terry he is probably one of the most articulate players in the draft even if he is one of the youngest. He has to add better separation on his shot creation, but I think that he will get there in time.

BallstriKer
Freshman

Post#3136 » by BallstriKer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:34 pm

How does Maledon project compared to Delon Wright?

Both lengthy guards and if I remember correctly, Delon was kind of an advanced stars darling with good intangibles.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,645

Post#3137 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:39 pm

You're fried.
We're discussing him as a potential selection with our 59th overall pick or as an undrafted pickup.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3138 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:58 pm

BallstriKer wrote:How does Maledon project compared to Delon Wright?

Both lengthy guards and if I remember correctly, Delon was kind of an advanced stars darling with good intangibles.

He’s much better than Delon at the same age, but the biggest difference is shooting. Delon was a reluctant shooter from pretty much everywhere. Maledon has a nice shooting package (pull up, C+S and off screens)
BallstriKer
Freshman

Post#3139 » by BallstriKer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:48 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:

He’s much better than Delon at the same age, but the biggest difference is shooting. Delon was a reluctant shooter from pretty much everywhere. Maledon has a nice shooting package (pull up, C+S and off screens)
That's awesome! It'd be amazing if he slipped to us. Delon was picked a little higher too if I remember correctly.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#3140 » by Indeed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 am

BallstriKer wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

That's awesome! It'd be amazing if he slipped to us. Delon was picked a little higher too if I remember correctly.

I think Wright was a pretty good defender, not surprised Wright is the better defender, but without a 3 point shot, he is unplayable in the modern NBA game. And I guess Maledon would be Davis type combo guard than Wright was a pass first guard.

Return to Toronto Raptors