ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Knicks pursue Morey? UPDATE: Morey to Philly

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Should the Knicks Pursue Morey?

Hell Yes
44%
Hell No
56%

Total votes: 59

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Should the Knicks pursue Morey? UPDATE: Morey to Philly 

Post#1 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 pm

With the news of Morey being forced out/stepping down from the Rockets, should the Knicks make the move to pursue him to replace Perry?

- Do we think he would play well within the structure we've already built?
- Can he build away from Morey ball?
- Do we want Morey ball?
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,037

Re: Should the Knicks pursue Morey? 

Post#2 » by robillionaire » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:37 pm

F no. look at the terrible job he did in houston
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,978

Post#3 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:39 pm

No. He disrespects the mid range game and thinks big men are useless.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#4 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:45 pm

There was a Daryl Morey before D'Antoni. We have a few iterations of his philosophies to evaluate.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,121

Post#5 » by mpharris36 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm

I prefer Bobby Webster...he is target #1 IMO
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,334

Post#6 » by Phish Tank » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:48 pm

nope
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,908

Post#7 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:00 pm

My question is if we are even in the market for a big name GM or if we are already have enough decision makers? My take is we would be looking for someone to do the grunt work, work the phones (Perry right now) while the other guys already hired make the big decisions with Rose having final say. Doesn't seem like there is a lot of room for another big decision maker and not sure a big name like Morey would accept that role.

But no just cause it might lead to too many cooks in the kitchen
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,073

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Morey doesn't strike me as the type that would work well with a lot of name guys around and above him (he'd get lost in the shuffle just like Scott Perry has since the new regime took over and I don't think that'll suit him).

A better option would be someone like Mike Zarren (current assistant GM with the Celtics) who can operate on his own and is extremely sharp but don't come with the mega sized ego or need to be the top dog. Or someone like Larry Harris who's been the assistant GM and director of player development with the Warriors throughout their current run at the top.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,517

Post#9 » by DaGawd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:12 pm

I wouldn’t mind...
BaF
Washington Wizards
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,253

Post#10 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 pm

I hate the Rockets style. They are way to analytics friendly.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,682

Post#11 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:20 pm

moocow007 wrote:Morey doesn't strike me as the type that would work well with a lot of name guys around and above him (he'd get lost in the shuffle just like Scott Perry has since the new regime took over).

A better option would be someone like Mike Zarren (current assistant GM with the Celtics) who can operate on his own and is extremely sharp but don't come with the mega sized ego or need to be the top dog.

Yeah I agree. I'm a big Morey hater. I think he thinks he's the smartest person in the room all the time and I don't like the arrogance and stubborness that comes with that. It shows in the way he built his team towards the end of his Houston reign. I prefer what I perceive to be Leon Rose's humble yet killer mentality. The Westbrook trade was asinine at the time and looks even worse after the disaster against the Lakers. Noto mention going completely all in on small ball directly led to that demolishing as well. He's made a ton of excuses as to why his teams have consistently underperformed in the playoffs and has never once seemed to look in the mirror and adjust his approach. If anything, he's doubled down on his failed strategy and now has sunk the Rockets future because of it.

All that being said I can't deny that he would be a good asset to have if he's willing to check his ego at the door. He's come out on top of numerous trades and Fertitta honestly seems almost worse than Dolan to work for so I don't know how much of the end of his tenure can be explicitly blamed on him. He also has always been good at identifying top end talent. The Harden trade being the main example.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#12 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:My question is if we are even in the market for a big name GM or if we are already have enough decision makers? My take is we would be looking for someone to do the grunt work, work the phones (Perry right now) while the other guys already hired make the big decisions with Rose having final say. Doesn't seem like there is a lot of room for another big decision maker and not sure a big name like Morey would accept that role.

But no just cause it might lead to too many cooks in the kitchen

This would be my big thought around this as well.

Are all the decision makers in place, and now we just need an executor? If so, there are no real big names to bring in.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,517

Post#13 » by DaGawd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:22 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:I hate the Rockets style. They are way to analytics friendly.

True but I wonder how much of that was centered around the play style of both their best player and coach that was in place. I think Morey might be adaptable
BaF
Washington Wizards
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#14 » by Cookies4Life » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Morey puts way too much emphasis on analytics, he's essentially the Billie Beane of basketball which is only good to an extent. I'm a fan of analytics combined with the eye test and I don't know how well Morey would mesh with all the upper management hirings this team has had this offseason since I'm pretty sure Daryl hasn't worked with any of these guys before.

I don't like the fact that Perry is still here though, it makes no sense. If we were starting fresh, everyone from the previous regime should've been let go.
RealGM
And1: 39,136

Post#15 » by 2010 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:39 pm

No. If the reports that the decision was made 100% by him, then that means he was no longer committed to the Rockets. Those same reports also stated he has expressed pursuing interests outside of basketball.

Which means that is the absolute last type of GM candidate we need to pursue to replace Scott Perry. We need someone who is hungry. Not bored with the game, or only willing to come for the massive paycheck.

I'm not a huge fan of his team building philosophy either.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,280

Post#16 » by Hes_On_Fire » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Replace Perry?

Morey wouldn't take order from Rose.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,248
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#17 » by BKlutch » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:04 pm

I don't believe Adam Silver wants him in the NBA for a while. He'd pressure the Knicks not to hire him. In fact, the statement that Morey intends to work outside of basketball makes me wonder if his exit wasn't brokered by Adam Silver over Morey's Hong Kong / China statements.

In addition, I don't like Morey's style of trying to go it alone and his actual choices of players and coach. Westbrook for Chris Paul did not help. Chris Paul, himself, wasn't a great fit. And D'Antoni has not shown he can win in the playoffs as much as he can in the regular season. He's good at run and gun but doesn't succeed as much against more intense defenses and more of a half court game in the playoffs. I'm also very unhappy with how Houston acquired Jeremy Lin to the detriment of the Knicks, Lin's development, and the Rockets as well.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,342

Post#18 » by dakomish23 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Any upgrade is welcome IMO.

Ppl forget how many great moves this guy made, both in the draft and trades, before this year’s debacle.

That 17-18 team was very close to winning it all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,128

Post#19 » by DOT » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:15 pm

I mean, I don't think you can say he's a bad GM or did terrible in Houston

He was hired in 07, made the playoffs his first 2 years, missed the next 3 years with 42, 43, and 34 wins, traded for Harden in 2012 and has made the playoffs every year since (8 straight seasons), made it out of the first round 5 times, made it to the conference finals twice. I would take 2 trips to the conference finals in 4 years, and 8 straight playoff appearances.

Really just had the bad luck of peaking right during the Warriors' dynasty, between 2015-2019 they ran into the Warriors 4 out of 5 trips

I think he's at least pretty good, not amazing.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,248
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#20 » by BKlutch » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:17 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Any upgrade is welcome IMO.

Ppl forget how many great moves this guy made, both in the draft and trades, before this year’s debacle.

That 17-18 team was very close to winning it all.

I completely agree an upgrade would be welcome. BUT I'm not convinced that Morey would be on board with Rose and all the people he has already brought on board. Just like the players on the floor need to be, the front office team needs to all be on the same page.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Return to New York Knicks