Who Should Be The Next Coach?

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Re: Who Should Be The Next Coach? 

Post#221 » by Boneman2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:17 pm

boomershadow wrote: Get guys making crisp cuts and moving the ball instead of standing around looking like they don't know where they're supposed to be.

If Oladipo had Reggie's skill set of moving without the ball our team would certainly prosper. Victor has all the tools he just needs to change his game up to recognize Brogdon, Sabonis and Aaron Holiday as the primary distributors, realizing he can still be the number #1 option without the hassle of facilitating for others. TJ Warren is the perfect example of this because he embraced this role and in the process led the team in scoring without over dribbling or interfering with distribution. You mentioned players standing around looking confused and I assert that the 99' Pacers would've looked very similar had Reggie Miller demanded to handle the ball and consequently the distribution would have suffered. Players have to know their roles.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#222 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

As ultimately expected...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#223 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#224 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:29 pm

So sounds like Chauncey won’t be a finalist here in Indy.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#225 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:42 pm

No overlap in candidates with the Houston job. We seem to be mostly looking at new and young, while Houston is looking for experienced and veteran.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:49 pm

APPARENTLY, Chauncey isn’t yet out! :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#228 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:No overlap in candidates with the Houston job. We seem to be mostly looking at new and young, while Houston is looking for experienced and veteran.

I'd ask Chauncey if he'd come here as lead assistant if the new coach approves. we're looking at a lot of white guys.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:No overlap in candidates with the Houston job. We seem to be mostly looking at new and young, while Houston is looking for experienced and veteran.

I'd ask Chauncey if he'd come here as lead assistant if the new coach approves. we're looking at a lot of white guys.

I think it seems pretty clear that he has his lead assistant spot lined up for The Clipper and Lue, and maybe even contractually agreed upon. If we want him, we likely have to as a head coach only.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#230 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:If we want him, we likely have to as a head coach only.

or offer him bigger than normal money.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#231 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:If we want him, we likely have to as a head coach only.

or offer him bigger than normal money.

Out pay Ballmer and LA money? And to coach not under a best friend? And to break a possibly contractual agreement? It’s not often you can break up a package deal like this. And would realistically cost close to as much per year as the head coach, I’d bet, to get a guy to break up with a close friend and the organization he’s spent a lot of time with, and his home.

Hypothetically, yes, but realistically no.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#234 » by pacers33granger » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:39 pm

That's a good hire for Sixers. But I'm glad they took him out of the equation for us.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#235 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:56 pm

pacers33granger wrote:That's a good hire for Sixers. But I'm glad they took him out of the equation for us.

I think it's a good spot for him to learn the personal side of the game in many ways, too. If he's believed to be a hard to work with kind of guy, getting the support of Doc behind him (right or wrong) is probably a good base to repair his image.

And agreed.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#236 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:05 am

Wizop wrote:

Well there's still Mark Jackson!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#237 » by Wizop » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:01 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I'm looking for an assistant who comes to the interview with a plan to maximize the skills of our current players.

Sent from my phone.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#238 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:38 am

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I'm looking for an assistant who comes to the interview with a plan to maximize the skills of our current players.

Sent from my phone.

I thought you might like that.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#239 » by Topofthekey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:46 am

Boneman2 wrote:
boomershadow wrote: Get guys making crisp cuts and moving the ball instead of standing around looking like they don't know where they're supposed to be.

If Oladipo had Reggie's skill set of moving without the ball our team would certainly prosper. Victor has all the tools he just needs to change his game up to recognize Brogdon, Sabonis and Aaron Holiday as the primary distributors, realizing he can still be the number #1 option without the hassle of facilitating for others. TJ Warren is the perfect example of this because he embraced this role and in the process led the team in scoring without over dribbling or interfering with distribution. You mentioned players standing around looking confused and I assert that the 99' Pacers would've looked very similar had Reggie Miller demanded to handle the ball and consequently the distribution would have suffered. Players have to know their roles.

Reggie's movement without the ball also generated opportunities for his teammates. The opponent usually had to paid frantic attention to where Reggie was, where's he's going, and as a result that oftentimes made it easier for Reggie's teammates

Of course, no stat is going to capture this dimension of Reggie's game. The amount of points he generated for his team simply by being a threat and constantly moving
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#240 » by Topofthekey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:58 am

boomershadow wrote:
Wizop wrote:Caitlin's piece on Cornrows about Finch is certainly impressive. I'm all for a coach that actually likes our roster.

I nabbed this off the Pacers reddit, and I like a lot of what I saw in the first 15 minutes or so.

The really basic "corner game" that he shows around 08:15 is beautiful. I'm not really an Xs and 0s type of fan, but the ball gets thrown to the big at the elbow, and then there are three options that happen almost simultaneously. The guy in the corner cuts to the basket, and if he doesn't get the ball immediately spaces out to the 3 point line on the other side. The ball then goes to the wing behind the 3 point line. He can shoot or go right back and get a pick from the big he got the ball from. Maybe he gets to the rim, if not then the ball goes right back out to the 3 point line on the other side to start a new play. That's the type of offensive system I would love to see the Pacers run.

Sabonis running that play from the elbow would be awesome. And it's not like Sabonis never got the ball at the elbow under Nate, but there's just a level of complexity in there that we didn't see with the Pacers for a few years now. Get guys making crisp cuts and moving the ball instead of standing around looking like they don't know where they're supposed to be.

If this is the direction we go, I'm all about it.

That has been the frustration the past few years hasn't it

That, and guys wondering what they're supposed to do with the ball

Return to Indiana Pacers