ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Four)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Chello1
Junior
And1: 114

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#1881 » by Chello1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:59 am

I am telling you we should keep the pick and look at using some ammo to move up from 33. Pick at 1 and 17 and maybe get into the 20's using our 33 and some other ammo. With those three picks we try to hit the home run. If people are undervaluing this draft then we should become buyers. This draft has 3-6 studs in it without a doubt. So do what you do in the stock market.... when everyone is running in one direction you better run in the other or you will never make a penny. I would love it if people think this draft is weak and we can get into the top 25 and add 3 first rounders. I believe we should take Wiseman or Ball with the first pick. Those two to me have the best potential to become stars. Figure out the rest later. Just my two cents....
Chello1
Junior
And1: 114

Post#1882 » by Chello1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:02 am

IceManBK1 wrote:
Neeva wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Another trade down option with bulls #1, JJ, Spellman etc for Dunn, otto porter Jr and markanen. Would be great if they give us #4. If not it's alright.

Dlo
Chris Dunn
Otto Porter JR
Lauri Markanen
Towns

stop this is god AWFUL!

Dunn and porter and really good defenders. Dlo needs a defensive guard like Dunn to hide him on defense. Porter's contract is bad... But he's ur definition of a 3d player. His numbers are down this year cuz he's avg less than 25 mins and less touches.

GGGGGOOOOODDDD AAAWWWWFFFFUUUULLLL IDEA! Think superstar! Not middle of the road average at best guys........
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1883 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:07 am

Chello1 wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:
Neeva wrote:
stop this is god AWFUL!

Dunn and porter and really good defenders. Dlo needs a defensive guard like Dunn to hide him on defense. Porter's contract is bad... But he's ur definition of a 3d player. His numbers are down this year cuz he's avg less than 25 mins and less touches.

GGGGGOOOOODDDD AAAWWWWFFFFUUUULLLL IDEA! Think superstar! Not middle of the road average at best guys........

#1 pick and our fillers not enough to get you a superstar. And on this team dlo and towns are gonna be the superstars...they need a good support cast and good role players to complement them.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1884 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EkTz87zXYAY4mdm?format=jpg&name=small
It's official, we got him lol...

j/k...he would look good in a wolves uniform though.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#1885 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:14 am

Baseline81 wrote:Again, it's mainly to discuss, but here's NBASupes latest post on Hawksquawk:
Back:

I've been told Minny has up to 12 teams who have given them offers for 1st overall. I was told Indy was by far the most interested but was declined as they only want to move one of Turner or Sabonis and that's it. Minny would like Warren and one of them. Indy is willing to trade Warren/Oladipo but Minny wants assurance on Dipo which will not happen and Indy sees Warren as a main piece.

Minny wants a pick swap with a top 8 team and a 2021 lightly protected 1st like Atlanta got from Dallas. I was told, no one was interested. Minny offered Atlanta the pick for a pick swap and Hunter and was quickly declined and they did the same for Kevin H and was quickly declined as Atlanta had no interest in trading anyone in their core. Atlanta did counter with Bruno and #6 and was declined. As of right now, i am told a sitting offer of 1st/James Johnson for #6 and OKC 1st 2022 is the standing offer. They tired the same with NY. Wanted Robinson/#8 for #1 and was declined. NY offered 8/27 for 1st overall as a standing offer.

Most of the teams who have made a standing offer with Minny are drafting outside of the top 10 and are playoff level teams. I was told that the target of that pick varies. I was told, none of the offers are really that attractive and that Minny is hoping a team will fall in love with a prospect and move up as we get closer to the draft. He thinks they will try to go back to Indy to really do a deal as Indy has the best package on the open market. I asked if Minny does just move back, which deal do they like more, ATL or NY. He said he doesn't know but he thinks Atlanta willingness to take on money could swing the pendulum to Atlanta.

He is confident CP3 will end up either in Philly or New York and even more confident NY will get a PG in the draft, via trade or FA. This is why NY isn't hard on moving up to get Ball. They have options. I did asked what would Atlanta do if they landed #1, and he said they will likely flip it. There are some extremely attractive rentals on the open market and this might make Atlanta think about getting one of them considering where they want to go as an org without trading a core piece. No, Giannis is not available, FYI.

Oladipo has the most active market, although the value isn't great in return and he thinks this will open the flood gates for future trades. A lot of contenders and a couple pretenders want Oladipo BAD!

Rumors are that Indiana likes Chris Finch for next coach, someone who was in New Orleans for the Davis/Cousins combo. Might try to make Sabonis and Turner work still rather than trade one.

That said, I'm intrigued by Sabonis. I know this is more of a center skillset here than PF, but I feel like they'd like his passing in this offense. Would be a significant jump over needing to give Naz minutes. Plus, I feel like Naz could fetch something real good on the trade market, with his potential, age and contract.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 685

Post#1886 » by karch34 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:45 am

Dewey wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:
Neeva wrote:
stop this is god AWFUL!

I’d consider #1/filler <> #4/markanen/Dunn

Thought Dunn was a free agent, but I like idea better only because that Porter contract is bad. Unless you are looking for a big expiring for a 2nd or 3rd move it doesn't make sense IMO.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#1887 » by theGreatRC » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:15 am

I believe the value is the pick is so low due to so many months with no new information regarding the top prospects(Also, this draft isn't strong anyway). Think about it:

Anthony Edwards showed flashes, but was inconsistent and his on/off switch was set to off many times.

Melo Ball averaged 17/7/8 but shot HORRIBLE from the field and took bad shots often.

James Wiseman didn't return to NCAA after the suspension

This is all info we've known since march, once these guys get in for workouts and word gets out about how "good" "much bigger than projected" "NBA ready" the top prospects are, the offers will get sweeter.

I truly believe we will get good value for the top pick once these prospects start to get dusted off and shine in workouts/interviews/etc

Or, it could completely be the other way around and these top 3 prospects look worse than imagined, doubt it though.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#1888 » by packforfreedom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:16 am

Imagine getting that first pick to build around KAT und DLO in a strong draft. :nonono:

I am really afraid we're f*cking this thing up.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#1889 » by minimus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:13 am

packforfreedom wrote:Imagine getting that first pick to build around KAT und DLO in a strong draft. :nonono:

Same concerns. But if we think about the last draft: Culver(top pick) - kind of miss. Reid(undrafted) - hit. Nowell (2nd round) - kind of hit. Draft and offseason is a long, complex chain of events, decisions, and work. I hope we will hit in general, even if we miss in some cases.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#1890 » by packforfreedom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:32 am

yeah the Culver pick really hasn't instilled any confidence in me in that regard.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#1891 » by Dewey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:00 am

karch34 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:

I’d consider #1/filler <> #4/markanen/Dunn

Thought Dunn was a free agent, but I like idea better only because that Porter contract is bad. Unless you are looking for a big expiring for a 2nd or 3rd move it doesn't make sense IMO.

Primarily I see a markenan fit at forward within our motion offense. And then we could get another solid piece at #4
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#1892 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:14 pm

shrink wrote:If you want to do a breakdown of expected value, you should insert a valuation for each of those outcomes. I value them like

0 = Dud
10 = Average
20 = above Average
75 = NBA Star. (Could you trade for a star offering 3 “above average” players? 4?)

People may disagree that Star’s should be ranked so highly, but NBA stars define franchises. Above average players can be found in free agency, even in MIN, if a team wants to pay for them.

Lastly, there is nothing in my original post advocating taking the player that has the least chance of being a dud.

I would go something like:
-25 = Dud
0 = Average Player
20 = Above Average
75 = NBA Star

Drafting a dud has too much negative consequences for a franchise in committing time, money, salary, playing time, and cost of development of other players.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#1893 » by rambo_ortega » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:27 pm

1st pick overall for Bradley Beal
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1894 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm

packforfreedom wrote:Imagine getting that first pick to build around KAT und DLO in a strong draft. :nonono:

I agree with your point. However:

Strong draft or weak draft are defined by what exactly?

Would a strong draft be strong if it had a Lebron at top to make the decision easy for finding greatness? While everyone else in the draft pales in comparison. Take Lebron out of the 2003 draft and you are left with more difficult decisions at top, less seperation. Darko, Wade, Bosch, Carmelo, West, or one of the many long term league players from this draft like those MN ended up getting aquianted with later like Ridnour, or even 6'7 210 Josh Howard who ended his career in MN. How about Ndudi Ebi, their choice that year? The level of players in the draft really can only be said years or careers later.

Or could a strong draft be loaded with so many interesting both skilled and desired size prospects that they make it difficult to project one to the top? Is it possible in this scenario that the masses in search for instant answers would loft two to three project level players based purely on singular traits that seem to sort of set them apart whether it's true or not, or simple access to the hype machine? Or no one flashed indisputable separation in college so it automatically falls to open ended enthusiasm about players that haven't proven they might be mediocre yet?

For us random fans of the team looking at the draft it's fine that we can't find the real talent of this draft easily noticable. But this is why team GM's/scouts/front offices are paid money to do this. Find the right player out of this more difficult to seperate set of players. It's their job. It's not their job to pick from the set of three players annointed by the massess of internet sports publishers. Go find that player.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#1895 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:22 pm

rambo_ortega wrote:1st pick overall for Bradley Beal

I'd do it.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1896 » by moonpie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:11 pm

TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#1897 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Off the wall idea, but with Morey and D'Antoni out in Houston, would Harden be available? Not saying I want to go all in on small ball or an iso heavy offense like Houston ran this past year, but Harden was also deadly when the Rockets first moved him to point and they ran a ton of high PNR, and with KAT being able to pop and roll that would be far more deadly than Capella being a rim runner only as Gardens screener.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#1898 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:32 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:Off the wall idea, but with Morey and D'Antoni out in Houston, would Harden be available? Not saying I want to go all in on small ball or an iso heavy offense like Houston ran this past year, but Harden was also deadly when the Rockets first moved him to point and they ran a ton of high PNR, and with KAT being able to pop and roll that would be far more deadly than Capella being a rim runner only as Gardens screener.

Wouldn’t dlo have to go for this trade to work? can’t imagine Kat being thrilled to only play one game with his friend.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,834

Post#1899 » by Domejandro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:52 pm

Pick would have to be signed with a thirty day wait period.

GSW: James Johnson (TPE), Omari Spellman (TPE), Minnesota unprotects the 2021 pick, and seconds.
OUT: Protected Second

HOU: Jarrett Culver, Jacob Evans, #1, and future Draft Picks.
OUT: James Harden

MIN: James Harden
OUT: James Johnson, Jarrett Culver, Omari Spellman, Jacob Evans, #1, and future Draft picks.

D’Angelo Russell / Jordan McLaughlin (UFA)
Malik Beasley (RFA) / Kelan Martin (UFA)
James Harden / Josh Okogie
Juancho Hernangómez (RFA) / Jake Layman
Karl-Anthony Towns / Naz Reid / Jarred Vanderbilt
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#1900 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Unless Rosas exchanges Kat for Embiid.
KAT for Embiid and 21
Russell, 1, future picks for Harden?

Harden