Image ImageImage Image

BullsTV: Scrimmage/interviews - Thursday at 1 pm CT

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Re: BullsTV: Scrimmage/interviews - Thursday at 1 pm CT 

Post#61 » by PaKii94 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 pm

The two things that stood out to me is Coby will be good and gafford is very overrated by people thinking he can easily replace wcj.

Also Lauri's shot looks quicker/smoother. The hesitation on the post play though...smh. idk what happened to him from rookie season to now. Back then he wasn't backing down from anyone. He didn't have the strength to bang with peeps but he had the fire. Now even though he's stronger he's gotten timid/hesitant. It needs to be coached out of him

Sato also had quite a few assists. He can keep the team running smoothly if he's not asked to create too much
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#62 » by rtblues » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Does Adam Mokoka have a shot to stick around?
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#63 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 pm

rtblues wrote:Scroll back to Doug's post on attending a scrimmage last year and then reporting on it in this forum. Not that under wraps actually.
Were they crap? Yes, but it was pretty much in plain sight. But overall, yes I feel this management is and will be more transparent, you know, like a real organization is.

1: I don't think transparency to the fans is a strength or weakness necessarily. It depends what you are being transparent about.

2: John Paxson was extremely transparent, pretty much all the time, to the point where people felt he telegraphed Bulls moves, so I don't think lack of transparency was any weakness on the Bulls front.

3: Arturus hasn't been particularly transparent with anything yet. They said they were evaluating Boylen, then crickets for 2-3 months while everyone complained, then out of no where fired, then all kinds of guesses and "sources" about how the Bulls would hire and who they would hire and they went and dropped a crap ton of money on Donovan whom wasn't on anyone's list.

I think what the new org looks like they are doing is building out a larger, more professional FO. Their moves to bring in more player development people and pay more money to have more bodies helping out both on the court and in the front office seems like a step in the right direction. The Bulls previous or appeared more like an old school, everyone is super involved with everything type of organization that didn't scale as well to the exacting demands of the modern NBA.

That said, I don't think transparency (and whether you think that's a positive or negative) is one of the features that I believe has increased from the old org to the new org.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#64 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Jvaughn wrote:Was it televised last year? I may have just missed it, but I don't recall seeing anything outside some highlights in the past here and there.

I don't believe it was. Worth noting, this is sort of a different event. That was a preseason practice. This is a weird bubble practice, that's still sort of part of the 19/20 season since we missed out on the last 8 games. I think part of this is definitely to engage fans though because they can't go to real preseason games or other events.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#65 » by rtblues » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:15 pm

dougthonus wrote:
rtblues wrote:Scroll back to Doug's post on attending a scrimmage last year and then reporting on it in this forum. Not that under wraps actually.
Were they crap? Yes, but it was pretty much in plain sight. But overall, yes I feel this management is and will be more transparent, you know, like a real organization is.

1: I don't think transparency to the fans is a strength or weakness necessarily. It depends what you are being transparent about.

2: John Paxson was extremely transparent, pretty much all the time, to the point where people felt he telegraphed Bulls moves, so I don't think lack of transparency was any weakness on the Bulls front.

3: Arturus hasn't been particularly transparent with anything yet. They said they were evaluating Boylen, then crickets for 2-3 months while everyone complained, then out of no where fired, then all kinds of guesses and "sources" about how the Bulls would hire and who they would hire and they went and dropped a crap ton of money on Donovan whom wasn't on anyone's list.

I think what the new org looks like they are doing is building out a larger, more professional FO. Their moves to bring in more player development people and pay more money to have more bodies helping out both on the court and in the front office seems like a step in the right direction. The Bulls previous or appeared more like an old school, everyone is super involved with everything type of organization that didn't scale as well to the exacting demands of the modern NBA.

That said, I don't think transparency (and whether you think that's a positive or negative) is one of the features that I believe has increased from the old org to the new org.

Let's be honest, are ANY NBA teams really transparent?
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#66 » by meekrab » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Only about 5 minutes in but Lauri almost missing the rim on that 3 hurts my eyes.
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#67 » by HINrichPolice » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Was hoping for a lot more footage. Not sure why they showed AK instead of the scrimmage! Either way, it was a fun watch for a few minutes.
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#68 » by ZOMG » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:39 pm

As long as we're overreacting... the lowlight of the scrimmage was Lauri driving into the middle of the lane... hesitating... and passing it back out to the perimeter for a worse look like he's Wendell Carter. SMH. He had an easy 10ft floater or even a dunk.

Someone needs to tell Lauri that Boylen is gone, you don't have to turn down automatic 2pt baskets from the midrange anymore. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Overall, Markkanen looked exactly the same as last year (I know, deja vu) - floating around, meekly getting out of the way, and jacking up quick threes when he gets the ball. Certainly didn't look like he'd added any skills.

But hey, that's how he's gonna look on a team dominated by ball-pounding guards.

For all his talk about wanting a bigger on-ball role in the offense, Lauri really seems to have something of a floor spacer gene. He's got an instinct for upholding and correcting the balance of the spacing at all times, which is good for the team.. but bad for Lauri individually. A guy like that gets lost in the shuffle even though he's trying to do the right thing. As long as the coaches are not making it a point to involve him in actions, he'll keep floating.

Will be very interesting to see what Donovan does with him.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#69 » by cjbulls » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Zach and Coby looked very good. Zach especially looked a cut above without much effort.

But I don’t see how these two can play together long term. They are both score first guards with limited positional flexibility. Who is running the offense? And adding a third ball dominator who can lead the offense would seem to undermine Zach and Coby’s strengths.

I’m confident in both of these guys long term, but they’ll probably need to move one to keep progressing as a team
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#70 » by sco » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:16 pm

cjbulls wrote:Zach and Coby looked very good. Zach especially looked a cut above without much effort.

But I don’t see how these two can play together long term. They are both score first guards with limited positional flexibility. Who is running the offense? And adding a third ball dominator who can lead the offense would seem to undermine Zach and Coby’s strengths.

I’m confident in both of these guys long term, but they’ll probably need to move one to keep progressing as a team

I know folks like you disagree with me, but having 2 guards who can score with the ball in their hands looks like an advantage to me. Unlike others, I don't think either guy is selfish - rather they've been forced to take more shots than they otherwise would have with a healthy set of players on the floor. I saw Coby out there looking to set guys up in addition to getting his shots.
:clap:
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#71 » by cjbulls » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:33 pm

sco wrote:
cjbulls wrote:Zach and Coby looked very good. Zach especially looked a cut above without much effort.

I know folks like you disagree with me, but having 2 guards who can score with the ball in their hands looks like an advantage to me. Unlike others, I don't think either guy is selfish - rather they've been forced to take more shots than they otherwise would have with a healthy set of players on the floor. I saw Coby out there looking to set guys up in addition to getting his shots.

I see Coby using the pick and roll to setup teammates when the defense rightfully focuses on his shot, but not really running offense. That’s not a huge knock though and I don’t think they’re “selfish” either. They are playing the most efficient basketball given their skills. Coby is already beyond where I thought he’d be as a scorer, but behind where I’d hope he be as offense initiator/pg.

Admittedly, the two scoring guard offense has worked in Portland and, to different extents, Houston and Washington so I shouldn’t dismiss it. I just don’t see how you can develop a “complete” offense with a two scoring guard setup.

Ironically, the current regressed version of Lauri is well suited to a two scoring guard offense.
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 2,999

Post#72 » by jordanwilliams6 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 pm

sco wrote:

I’m happy to run with a 2 guard centric lineup similar to Portland. It’s never really worked for that team because they’ve always had a pretty weak supporting cast, but they did make the WCF last year. I’m not saying Zach & Coby are yet on the level of Dame & CJ, just similar play styles.

If healthy, Otto, Lauri & WCJ is a better front court than anything the Trailblazers have ever had.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#73 » by Jcool0 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#74 » by Ben Wilson25 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:07 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:
sco wrote:

I’m happy to run with a 2 guard centric lineup similar to Portland. It’s never really worked for that team because they’ve always had a pretty weak supporting cast, but they did make the WCF last year. I’m not saying Zach & Coby are yet on the level of Dame & CJ, just similar play styles.

If healthy, Otto, Lauri & WCJ is a better front court than anything the Trailblazers have ever had.

Yeah, I think the notion of a PG who brings the ball up, directs traffic and runs the offense is an antiquated concept. We’re basically in an era where there’s just guards, wings and centers.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#75 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:10 pm

Did Lauri post up someone? If not. Well it was nice seeing you. Go play in Europe.

Less encouraging was LaVine taking the ball cleanly from Markkanen as he attempted to back LaVine down and post him up.

Oh boy. Hahahaha. End me someone end me....
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,133

Post#76 » by HomoSapien » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Meh, it's hard to get much out of this. Fun to see a little bit of Bulls action though.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,724

Post#77 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:27 pm

rtblues wrote:Does Adam Mokoka have a shot to stick around?

He's pretty terrible. Check his G-League stats. https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/m/mokokad01d.html

We really need to do a better job of using the 2-way contract spots on legitimate prospects.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#78 » by cjbulls » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:37 pm

Ben Wilson25 wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:
sco wrote:I know folks like you disagree with me, but having 2 guards who can score with the ball in their hands looks like an advantage to me. Unlike others, I don't think either guy is selfish - rather they've been forced to take more shots than they otherwise would have with a healthy set of players on the floor. I saw Coby out there looking to set guys up in addition to getting his shots.

Yeah, I think the notion of a PG who brings the ball up, directs traffic and runs the offense is an antiquated concept. We’re basically in an era where there’s just guards, wings and centers.

But don’t they need someone to organize the team/offense? Most if not all of the top teams at least have that although not always their pg. Zach and Coby don’t appear to be that player so it means you’d need to find that player at a different position which is more difficult.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Post#79 » by PaKii94 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:37 pm

Gafford was pretty bad on defense. He was broken quite a few plays.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 751

Post#80 » by othawhitemeat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:58 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Meh, it's hard to get much out of this. Fun to see a little bit of Bulls action though.

The only thing to me that stands out is that Coby seemed stronger and more decisive. I think he will take that next step and especially with a guard type coach in Billy D.

Return to Chicago Bulls