ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who should Minnesota Pick at #1 (Assuming Minnesota keeps the pick)?

Anthony Edwards
42%
LaMelo Ball
22%
James Wiseman
35%

Total votes: 116

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,938

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1381 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Jedzz wrote:Love had openly demanded trade by January of that year and it was already known before that. Btw, Lebron had already courted him for a possible role in Cleveland before Lebron even left Miami. I feel certain that the Timberwolves and Caveliers had been talking about how to make this work for months before that draft took place.
Spoiler:
The Caveliers only signed Wiggins (#1 overall choice) to a two year deal guaranteed deal. I found that strange. But if you drafted a choice that another team made demands for while planning the trade, I can see why you wouldn't want to be locked into a deal with thatt player longer if by chance the deal evaporated for some reason before being consumated. My assumption all along has been that the Cavs drafted Andrew Wiggins that year on the suggestion by the Wolves. The once reported story that Cavs owner and Taylor finally agreed to Wiggins in the deal over a Summer League coffee chat I have always believed was pure fiction, that the Cavs "didn't want to give up Wiggins in the deal" was all fiction, and it was just salesman shows for the sake of the two franchises fanbases. Lebron was running that show and Love was coming there come hell or highwater.

I don't know if the spoiler text is your thoughts or someone else's, but Wiggins signed a standard rookie-scale contract. All first rounders get just two years guaranteed.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,938

Post#1382 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:26 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Domejandro wrote: LaMelo Ball has MASSIVE flaws, but if there was not the background noise of his father existing, basketball fans would be far less ridiculous with their takes on him.

Because he would be an undrafted project and people wouldn't have to describe how sickoning it is to risk a #1 overall on such a project?

This is exactly the type of talk Domejandro is talking about. Zero chance LaMelo would go undrafted.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#1383 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Domejandro wrote: LaMelo Ball has MASSIVE flaws, but if there was not the background noise of his father existing, basketball fans would be far less ridiculous with their takes on him.

Because he would be an undrafted project and people wouldn't have to describe how sickoning it is to risk a #1 overall on such a project?

This is exactly the type of talk Domejandro is talking about. Zero chance LaMelo would go undrafted.

You are correct Klomp. I place the likelihood of Ball going undrafted, barring injury or some huge character flaw emerging at virtually zero percent. I acknowledge all of Ball's good points, but I'm far from a fan of using the #1 pick on him. To me his negatives cancel out his positives and I just don't want us using #1 overall on a net zero player. If we pick him I hope the triple double machine emerges along with better defense than he has shown. I give only a 5% chance of him ever becoming a poor shooter rather than a horrible shooter. Him becoming an NBA average shooter I would put at 1%. It is not my intent to trash the Kid. This is what I believe. His upside is enough at this moment that I have him at 10 on my draft board.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#1384 » by urinesane » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 pm

Huge disclaimer here: I do not believe this is a reason to not draft Ball or something that should be weighed heavily in the decision... but it is pretty damn entertaining imo.

Trigger warning (I guess?)

Rated R for crude language.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1385 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 pm

urinesane wrote:Huge disclaimer here: I do not believe this is a reason to not draft Ball or something that should be weighed heavily in the decision... but it is pretty damn entertaining imo.

I was only able to watch a couple minutes, because that guy was DISGUSTING. I don't want language and visual images like he uses going into my brain. Sorry if I'm not a good sport about it.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#1386 » by urinesane » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:35 pm

Oh sorry, I've added a trigger warning to it.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,966

Post#1387 » by Domejandro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Because he would be an undrafted project and people wouldn't have to describe how sickoning it is to risk a #1 overall on such a project? To imagine having to pay 5 to 10 a year and meanwhile your team feels they have to play him some where between 25 minutes to Starting just to maintain that draft value at least fictionally for future trade options. And if he's just an average producer people will claim an extension must be maxed because of all the fake selling of him over the rookie years. Imagine all this for a player you have to reteach every skill to if we are to believe the people that say he's had no basketball training. And that's if you believe he's had no basketball training while being part of the Ball family with a father pushing his kids' futures this hard for the NBA game.

If only this was baseball and the Wolves could have signed him to a futures deal the day after he scored 90 points in a highschool game. But this is the NBA where you tank seasons entirely to earn chances for the #1. And this is the risky payoff?

Yes, professional General Managers are overhyping LaMelo Ball because they are too stupid to detach a name from a player.

Beyond parody, actually no point discussing the Draft if people buy into this.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1388 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm

urinesane wrote:Oh sorry, I've added a trigger warning to it.

Thanks for adding the warning, but people might miss it where you placed it. I would put it above the video.
It was more than just the language. Definitely R rated.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#1389 » by urinesane » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Thanks for adding the warning, but people might miss it where you placed it. I would put it above the video.

Fixed.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1390 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:01 pm

urinesane wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Fixed.

You've done your duty. I don't fault you for posting. Some people will enjoy it. I enjoyed some of it, but just too much disgustingness.
urinesane
Lead Assistant

Post#1391 » by urinesane » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:06 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
urinesane wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Thanks for adding the warning, but people might miss it where you placed it. I would put it above the video.

Fixed.

You've done your duty. I don't fault you for posting. Some people will enjoy it. I enjoyed some of it, but just too much disgustingness.

It definitely won't be for everyone and is not meant to be a judgement of Ball, just thought it was interesting to see what sort of playstyle he came from before he was on a lot of our radars.

It should definitely be taken with a fistful of salt though.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1392 » by Mattya » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:20 pm

That Vassell workout clip they posted then deleted was really rough.
Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Post#1393 » by Midw35t » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The offensive talent for Obi is undeniable.

His lack of any feel defensively is also undeniable.
Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Post#1394 » by Midw35t » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm

LaMelo Ball has one great trait - passing.

What else can he do? What else has he proven?

Obi has a real package offensively. Defensively he is terrible.

Wiseman and Edwards show flashes of greatness on both ends. I lean towards Wiseman, but I can get behind either.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#1395 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm

I aee Vessell falling hard now, but i dont even know if I take him at 17...
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#1396 » by minimus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Mattya wrote:That Vassell workout clip they posted then deleted was really rough.

He just fell out of lottery.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#1397 » by minimus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Midw35t wrote:LaMelo Ball has one great trait - passing.

What else can he do? What else has he proven?

Passing, rebounding, finishing at rim.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#1398 » by shangrila » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 pm

Neeva wrote:I aee Vessell falling hard now, but i dont even know if I take him at 17...

Seriously? I'd take him and run at 17. You can't teach his defensive instincts.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1399 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Because he would be an undrafted project and people wouldn't have to describe how sickoning it is to risk a #1 overall on such a project? To imagine having to pay 5 to 10 a year and meanwhile your team feels they have to play him some where between 25 minutes to Starting just to maintain that draft value at least fictionally for future trade options. And if he's just an average producer people will claim an extension must be maxed because of all the fake selling of him over the rookie years. Imagine all this for a player you have to reteach every skill to if we are to believe the people that say he's had no basketball training. And that's if you believe he's had no basketball training while being part of the Ball family with a father pushing his kids' futures this hard for the NBA game.

If only this was baseball and the Wolves could have signed him to a futures deal the day after he scored 90 points in a highschool game. But this is the NBA where you tank seasons entirely to earn chances for the #1. And this is the risky payoff?

Yes, professional General Managers are overhyping LaMelo Ball because they are too stupid to detach a name from a player.

Beyond parody, actually no point discussing the Draft if people buy into this.

To be honest I'm pretty much done talking about this stinkin draft business. it's been a sham for years, maybe always, preloaded with phony hype for years. Everyone knows each team's GM is feeding smoke and mirrors out for their own benefit. Yet still, we have everyone eating up every little report that was fed to "sports journalists". I really feel as though this year getting the #1 overall is going to cause more harm than good to this team that never got a chance to see what they had after the trade deadline. It's going to cause havoc in this roster and they didn't need it.

I look at two recent undrafted players and a rookie 13th pick of the heat that were forceful pieces of a playoff juggernaut and finals team, not to mention being led by a former #30 pick, and it all just confirms that this whole draft process is a big joke, along with 75% of the player evaluations, fictional values and rankings going into it. So why should I believe everyone that is so addament about the players hyped in this one.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1400 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:35 pm

Neeva wrote:I aee Vessell falling hard now, but i dont even know if I take him at 17...
\

:lol: to the undrafted bin!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves