ImageImageImageImageImage

Ladies And Gentlemen, Tyronne Lue

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Re: Ladies And Gentlemen, Tyronne Lue 

Post#21 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:32 pm

I don't think we can say for any certainty (at all) that we'll be running the same offense, defense, etc. Lue is the decision maker now, he wasn't before. It's not an exciting hire, but the jury is still out on whether it's a good one. Plus I'm pretty sure it's well understood within the organization that rolling out the same thing next season is simply not going to cut it (or else we would have kept Doc)- we didn't have a loud ticking clock last season, but we will next season.

For now I trust the FO. I mean we could still be featuring Blake Griffin as our marquee guy, or Tobias Harris.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Re: Ty Lue time!! 

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:37 pm

DieHardFan wrote:I wonder why this promotion happened after 2 weeks. Did our FO really searched? Wasn't happy with what they found yet? Was that a panic move bc Lue was about to sign with Houston or Pelicans?

Time will tell i guess.

I imagine the interest from other teams was a factor in the timing, but doubt it was a panic move. Pretty sure the Clipper FO and Lue would have been in close communication throughout the process. I think the Clippers would have always had final chance to step in, had another team offered Lue a job.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 980

Post#23 » by clipperlover » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Awesome Doc 1.5!!! :banghead:
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,179

Post#24 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:For now I trust the FO. I mean we could still be featuring Blake Griffin as our marquee guy, or Tobias Harris.

I mean, we haven't gone any further in the playoffs with the current roster than we did with Blake. And even with Tobias, we at least still had all our draft picks for the next decade.

I trusted the FO at the start, but I don't anymore. It's just too many major errors piling up: letting Doc waste three more seasons upon taking over, the shady way they handled the Blake trade, drafting Jerome over MPJ, getting fleeced by OKC in the PG trade, not trading Trez at the deadline, and now settling for Lue as the next coach after an uninspiring coaching search. I can only speak for myself, but this team has to get past the second round next season before I start trusting anyone in charge of it again.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#25 » by clipperlover » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 pm

donemilio21 wrote: that probably means we will lose ... Kalamian too.

How is that bad?
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#26 » by clipperlover » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:For now I trust the FO. I mean we could still be featuring Blake Griffin as our marquee guy, or Tobias Harris.

I mean, we haven't gone any further in the playoffs with the current roster than we did with Blake. And even with Tobias, we at least still had all our draft picks for the next decade.

I trusted the FO at the start, but I don't anymore. It's just too many major errors piling up: letting Doc waste three more seasons upon taking over, the shady way they handled the Blake trade, drafting Jerome over MPJ, getting fleeced by OKC in the PG trade, not trading Trez at the deadline, and now settling for Lue as the next coach after an uninspiring coaching search. I can only speak for myself, but this team has to get past the second round next season before I start trusting anyone in charge of it again.

Those draft picks are just so important. We need them to get the next Reggie Bullock, C.J. Wilcox or Brice Johnson in the later 1st round.

Most draft picks amount to nothing more than what you can pick up off the street. Ballmer isn't going to sit back and let this team fall into the lottery. He will be aggressive with moves.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#27 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:59 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

True, but we wouldn't be getting out of the first round right now had we not set all those wheels in motion starting with the Blake trade.

I trusted the FO at the start, but I don't anymore. It's just too many major errors piling up: letting Doc waste three more seasons upon taking over, the shady way they handled the Blake trade, drafting Jerome over MPJ, getting fleeced by OKC in the PG trade, not trading Trez at the deadline, and now settling for Lue as the next coach after an uninspiring coaching search.

I think it's very much a cup half-full, half-empty thing. There are certainly things to point to as negatives.

I can only speak for myself, but this team has to get past the second round next season before I start trusting anyone in charge of it again.

It's a short leash for sure either way. I'm especially keen on roster moves before next season, that alone will give us a good idea of what to expect, and how much optimism we'll have.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#28 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:03 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I don't think we can say for any certainty (at all) that we'll be running the same offense, defense, etc. Lue is the decision maker now, he wasn't before. It's not an exciting hire, but the jury is still out on whether it's a good one. Plus I'm pretty sure it's well understood within the organization that rolling out the same thing next season is simply not going to cut it (or else we would have kept Doc)- we didn't have a loud ticking clock last season, but we will next season.

For now I trust the FO. I mean we could still be featuring Blake Griffin as our marquee guy, or Tobias Harris.

all good points

the FO wasn't gonna bring in someone who wasn't acutely aware of the lack of adjustments doc made in the playoffs.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#29 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:08 pm

clipperlover wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

Those draft picks are just so important. We need them to get the next Reggie Bullock, C.J. Wilcox or Brice Johnson in the later 1st round.

Most draft picks amount to nothing more than what you can pick up off the street. Ballmer isn't going to sit back and let this team fall into the lottery. He will be aggressive with moves.

It's hard to believe that after the GM Doc era, there's still people downplaying the importance of the draft. Imagine thinking it's a bad thing to have young talent on cheap team-controlled contracts.

Beyond that, it's also a decade's worth of flexibility for other moves that we traded away for this roster that clearly isn't good enough. The overall opportunity cost from the PG trade is insane to think about.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#30 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:10 pm

madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:11 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:I don't think we can say for any certainty (at all) that we'll be running the same offense, defense, etc. Lue is the decision maker now, he wasn't before. It's not an exciting hire, but the jury is still out on whether it's a good one. Plus I'm pretty sure it's well understood within the organization that rolling out the same thing next season is simply not going to cut it (or else we would have kept Doc)- we didn't have a loud ticking clock last season, but we will next season.

all good points

the FO wasn't gonna bring in someone who wasn't acutely aware of the lack of adjustments doc made in the playoffs.

If I was in on the interview and got to ask a question, it would be, "What do you think went wrong in the season and playoffs, and how do you plan to address it as head coach?" I can't imagine that not being a big part of their internal discussions with Lue. I'm not saying Lue must have the best answers, but pretty sure continuity was not their main priority here LOL.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#32 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:12 pm

i mean that's literally had to have been the biggest thing in each interview they've had: what they would have done differently and why
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#33 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 pm

it's just asinine to think lue will be doc 2.0 or whatever, and that the team didn't seek to address their problems in the playoffs.

like imagine thinking the team wanted more of the same. well actually if that was the case they would have just kept doc, wouldn't they?

just amazes me the tripe people come up with.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#34 » by playaloc916 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 pm

I'm not thrilled about the hire, but I'm not hating it either. I do like bringing in Billups as the lead assistant. In a way, it's almost like they wanted to hire him as the HC, but wanted to ease him in. I doubt Lue or Cassell would be happy with Billups bypassing them both as HC, especially with no coaching experience. In this way, they keep some stability in keeping the more experienced Lue as the HC. Also, it's not Mike F'n Brown, or MDA. Either of them would be worse IMO. The pool of candidates was pretty dry. Not many decent head coaches, but a few promising assistant coaches. I don't think there was a clear favorite, so they went with the "safest" choice...

Regardless, I'm sure Ballmer was extra critical of this hiring. This was the guy who went on a tirade and wanted to fire the entire team. I don't think he would accept hiring Lue if it mean getting Doc 2.0. Lue must have prepared a lot to answer Ballmer when he undoubtedly asked, WTF went wrong, and what he plans to do about it... But I hope they add another good assistant, as right now, it's Lue, with Billups as lead, and Larry Drew. I'm thinking Cassell is probably gone.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#35 » by donemilio21 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 pm

clipperlover wrote:
donemilio21 wrote: that probably means we will lose ... Kalamian too.

How is that bad?

We have been a good defensive team because of him. He is known to be a defensive coordinator type like, like how Tom Thibadaue was in Boston in later 2000s. There is a reason all the teams he coached were defensively good and had winning records, like the Raptors team before he joined Clippers or the Thunder team before that.

It may not be surprising if he gets a head coaching nod somewhere, he certainly will get a lead assistant offer at the very least.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,190

Post#36 » by Max Headrom » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:55 pm

nickhx2 wrote:it's just asinine to think lue will be doc 2.0 or whatever, and that the team didn't seek to address their problems in the playoffs.

like imagine thinking the team wanted more of the same. well actually if that was the case they would have just kept doc, wouldn't they?

As you can see, some posters are just gonna be negative no matter what...
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#37 » by Clemenza » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:59 pm

KL78192020 wrote:Not sure he's the right guy for the job. He took a leave of absence in 2018 because it got to much for him, which is fine. But not sure he's cut out for the rigors and stress of a head coaching job and the pressure that will come to win.

What are you talking about? He a championship winning coach who came back from a 3-1 deficit against Golden State. He's been to the Finals twice as a matter of fact.

I'm satisfied with the hire personally. We don't need a savior.. all we need is a guy who cut out the foolishness, play the winning hand and not favorites, run an offense that consists than take turns-iso ball, not coddle the stars, make adjustments, and get some kind of player development going. The job was too pressurized and spotlight driven to experiment with a coach from the college ranks or from overseas. Lets see what he can do
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Post#38 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:03 pm

playaloc916 wrote:The pool of candidates was pretty dry. Not many decent head coaches, but a few promising assistant coaches. I don't think there was a clear favorite, so they went with the "safest" choice...

Regardless, I'm sure Ballmer was extra critical of this hiring. This was the guy who went on a tirade and wanted to fire the entire team. I don't think he would accept hiring Lue if it mean getting Doc 2.0 [...] but I hope they add another good assistant, as right now, it's Lue, with Billups as lead, and Larry Drew. I'm thinking Cassell is probably gone.

Which is why I think the Clippers might go after a coach nobody has ever heard of before (read: not affiliated with NBA in any capacity) to be one of Lue's assistants. That coach may come from the NCAA, overseas, maybe even a high school coach. Who's an unknown assistant that could surprise the league?
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#39 » by clipsfever » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:08 pm

I'm enthusiastic about the rather dull Chauncey B not being part of our broadcast team anymore...
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#40 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:23 pm

nickhx2 wrote:it's just asinine to think lue will be doc 2.0 or whatever, and that the team didn't seek to address their problems in the playoffs.

The front office would have kept Doc if Ballmer didn't intervene, so yes, they wanted more of the same. Which is why they hired more of the same.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers