ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,136

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1701 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:32 pm

The Effect wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
The Effect wrote:Im good on maxey, he screams "malik monk" to me. That might be a lazy comparison but thats all i see when i watch him
And we all see how that went with monk\clifford
Where are you seeing that? Monk was a undersized shoting/scoring machine at Kentucky. Maxey is more of a athletic slasher that projects as a solid shooter. I dont see the comp.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

both are 6'3, 195lb shooting guards
Both are very athletic slashers with good shots but take alot of bad shots
Their numbers are pretty identical except for the 3pt shot
Both good defenders

To me, they are similar players except that Monk is more athletic and better shooter

IIRC Monk was way more of an off ball shooter type. Didn’t flash a lot of slashing like Maxey
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#1702 » by Knightro » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Skybox wrote:You lost me at “doesn’t get to the line”

Bane's FT Rate was only 13% which was incredibly low for anyone, much less an experienced senior with a USG of 24.4.

I don't hate Bane, he's obviously an excellent shooter.

I just think he's firmly a role player at the NBA level with almost no chance of becoming much more.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#1703 » by The Effect » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:36 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
The Effect wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:Where are you seeing that? Monk was a undersized shoting/scoring machine at Kentucky. Maxey is more of a athletic slasher that projects as a solid shooter. I dont see the comp.

both are 6'3, 195lb shooting guards
Both are very athletic slashers with good shots but take alot of bad shots
Their numbers are pretty identical except for the 3pt shot
Both good defenders

To me, they are similar players except that Monk is more athletic and better shooter

IIRC Monk was way more of an off ball shooter type. Didn’t flash a lot of slashing like Maxey

he was more of a shooter, but he was also one of the more athletic\high flying players in the draft. Might not of slashed as much as maxey, but it wasnt because it wasnt part of his game, its just that he could do more things
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,485

Post#1704 » by Skybox » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:06 pm

Knightro wrote:

Bane's FT Rate was only 13% which was incredibly low for anyone, much less an experienced senior with a USG of 24.4.

I just think he's firmly a role player at the NBA level with almost no chance of becoming much more.

There are quite a few good players in our draft range, but, IMO, a 3 and D shooter isn't what we need (you can never have enough but not our biggest priority). I think, unless there's a broad talent gap, we really need someone who can put the ball on the floor, stir things up, create offense, get to the line...as well as shoot 3's. Tall order, but I think possible. That's why I'm not nuts about Vassell (for example), who will be a great player but, just like Mikal Bridges, will sit in the corner and wait (for who?) to draw the defenders away. I'm a Fultz fan and he SHOULD be shooting a lot of FT's but it takes more than one to disrupt perimeter defense and create good shots.I like a combo guard, secondary ball handler. Terry, Maxey, Lewis are my guys. I'd really like to snag a second mid-FRP, likely in an AG or Evan trade, to ALSO grab one of those bigger, athletic, 3 and D guys like Nesmith, Vassell, Bey, Green, etc...I have no problem with 3 rookies (including Okeke) as our veteran core would largely still be intact.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#1705 » by zaymon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:38 pm

Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:

There are quite a few good players in our draft range, but, IMO, a 3 and D shooter isn't what we need (you can never have enough but not our biggest priority). I think, unless there's a broad talent gap, we really need someone who can put the ball on the floor, stir things up, create offense, get to the line...as well as shoot 3's. Tall order, but I think possible. That's why I'm not nuts about Vassell (for example), who will be a great player but, just like Mikal Bridges, will sit in the corner and wait (for who?) to draw the defenders away. I'm a Fultz fan and he SHOULD be shooting a lot of FT's but it takes more than one to disrupt perimeter defense and create good shots.I like a combo guard, secondary ball handler. Terry, Maxey, Lewis are my guys. I'd really like to snag a second mid-FRP, likely in an AG or Evan trade, to ALSO grab one of those bigger, athletic, 3 and D guys like Nesmith, Vassell, Bey, Green, etc...I have no problem with 3 rookies (including Okeke) as our veteran core would largely still be intact.

Well Bane is propably the best secondary ball handler maybe outside Lewis. His FT rate was a lot higher for the first two college seasons when he was not the lead ball handler. It was comparable to all these guys really. Given his size and strength, he will propably stay the best playmaker in the nba. I dont know how you can dismiss Bane in one sentence and promote Terry, Maxey and Lewis in other. Only age works in their favour, but they will not grow 6'6 with Bane frame.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#1706 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Saw a suggestion.... AG+ #15 for Levert + #19...

... what would you'll think?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#1707 » by Def Swami » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:09 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:Saw a suggestion.... AG+ #15 for Levert + #19...

I'd do it.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,662

Post#1708 » by MagicMatic » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Sign me up.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1709 » by Xatticus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:16 pm

I suppose I'd do it without the pick swap. I just don't see the reason to agree to that. I'd rather have Dinwiddie though. I'd agree to the pick swap if we got Dinwiddie and filler for Gordon instead. The extra year on LeVert's deal is nice, but I believe Dinwiddie is the better player and provides more of what we need.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

Post#1710 » by MasterGMer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 pm

I'd do it too
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,796

Post#1711 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 pm

Xatticus wrote:

I suppose I'd do it without the pick swap. I just don't see the reason to agree to that. I'd rather have Dinwiddie though. I'd agree to the pick swap if we got Dinwiddie and filler for Gordon instead. The extra year on LeVert's deal is nice, but I believe Dinwiddie is the better player and provides more of what we need.
Cause Levert is seen as a better player. So to even out the value the pick swap is needed. Id consider this trade. Not sure the Nets would

Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,940

Post#1712 » by Ducklett » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:03 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

Cause Levert is seen as a better player. So to even out the value the pick swap is needed. Id consider this trade. Not sure the Nets would

Since KD has got there, Levert has gone from "great player" to "break-out superstar" which I find strange. Just wanted to point that out.

Not sure how I feel about Levert on the Magic. What do you guys think he would bring to the team?
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#1713 » by MasterGMer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:13 pm

Ducklett wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

Since KD has got there, Levert has gone from "great player" to "break-out superstar" which I find strange. Just wanted to point that out.

Not sure how I feel about Levert on the Magic. What do you guys think he would bring to the team?

An emerging star and 2nd option under Vuc or sometimes the 1st option
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,940

Post#1714 » by Ducklett » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:Cause Levert is seen as a better player. So to even out the value the pick swap is needed. Id consider this trade. Not sure the Nets would

He is about to turn 27, don't you think he is what he is at this point? Or do you think it is a product of being in that situation that he didnt emerge and still can?
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#1715 » by MasterGMer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Ducklett wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

He is about to turn 27, don't you think he is what he is at this point? Or do you think it is a product of being in that situation that he didnt emerge and still can?

His talent is definitely there. Watching him and this young Magic team is interesting. But the FO knows better than a fan like me
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#1716 » by J the Drafter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:35 am

I know it’s the least popular option, but the team is short on players who can lock down power forwards and centers. Gordon and Isaac are big small forwards more than they are true power forwards. We’ll need to see how well Okeke does defending NBA fours. The absence of big man defenders leaves a weakness in the defensive lineup our front office are creating, even if the league currently has a shortage of offensive centers of and power forwards. I consider covering that weakness to be fairly important.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1717 » by Xatticus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 am

IllMagic04 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

Is he? I don’t know what that is based on. LeVert takes a lot of shots. He has lower career eFG and TS percentages than Gordon. That is the criticism of Gordon. LeVert’s 2P% has been plummeting and I really doubt he is actually a 36% 3-point shooter. He is an inferior defender and he is a year older. The only real plus that I see is the extra year on his deal, if that’s something you want.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,471

Post#1718 » by dc » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:32 am

J the Drafter wrote:I know it’s the least popular option, but the team is short on players who can lock down power forwards and centers. Gordon and Isaac are big small forwards more than they are true power forwards.

In the modern game, those guys are both PFs. Boston made the ECFs starting Tatum and Brown at F.

Isaac could definitely be a demon on the defensive side but for his injuries.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,662

Post#1719 » by MagicMatic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:21 am

J the Drafter wrote:I know it’s the least popular option, but the team is short on players who can lock down power forwards and centers. Gordon and Isaac are big small forwards more than they are true power forwards. We’ll need to see how well Okeke does defending NBA fours. The absence of big man defenders leaves a weakness in the defensive lineup our front office are creating, even if the league currently has a shortage of offensive centers of and power forwards. I consider covering that weakness to be fairly important.

Ennis, Isaac, Okeke, Aminu, and Birch have it covered.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,078

Post#1720 » by tiderulz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:07 am

Xatticus wrote:

except 3 pt shooting. Dinwiddie not a good shooter

Return to Orlando Magic