Image ImageImage Image

BullsTV: Scrimmage/interviews - Thursday at 1 pm CT

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Re: BullsTV: Scrimmage/interviews - Thursday at 1 pm CT 

Post#81 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 pm

This was fun jut to see the guys play basketball, but I wouldn't take too much away from how they were utilised or played - at least I won't, not until the new head coach and coaching staff get a chance to truly implement their own system.

Hell, we don't even know what our team will look like at the start of the season, there could be just as much roster change, as there has been with the front office and coaching, so you just never know. Then there is of course the draft to come.

I can't wait for the season to start! Though I'm not expecting the playoffs from Billy's first season coaching the Bulls, but I am expecting improvement. I haven't been this optimistic about the Bulls in some time.
Why so serious?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Post#82 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:43 pm

How does a 20 year old have such a full beard? I just don't get it.
Why so serious?
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#83 » by cjbulls » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:47 pm

The other thing I learned is that Arturas does not have much of a media personality. Hoping that he’s not our primary FA recruiter. Is that Eversley’s role?
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#84 » by Ben Wilson25 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 pm

cjbulls wrote:
Ben Wilson25 wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:I’m happy to run with a 2 guard centric lineup similar to Portland. It’s never really worked for that team because they’ve always had a pretty weak supporting cast, but they did make the WCF last year. I’m not saying Zach & Coby are yet on the level of Dame & CJ, just similar play styles.

If healthy, Otto, Lauri & WCJ is a better front court than anything the Trailblazers have ever had.

Yeah, I think the notion of a PG who brings the ball up, directs traffic and runs the offense is an antiquated concept. We’re basically in an era where there’s just guards, wings and centers.

But don’t they need someone to organize the team/offense? Most if not all of the top teams at least have that although not always their pg. Zach and Coby don’t appear to be that player so it means you’d need to find that player at a different position which is more difficult.

With a good offense and versatile playmakers you should have multiple guys on the floor who play that role. We’ve unfortunately had pretty bad offenses and 1 dimensional players for a while. The last time we had one guy playing that role (Rose) the Heat just swarmed him in the playoffs and shut our offense down.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#85 » by cjbulls » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:18 pm

Ben Wilson25 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Ben Wilson25 wrote:
Yeah, I think the notion of a PG who brings the ball up, directs traffic and runs the offense is an antiquated concept. We’re basically in an era where there’s just guards, wings and centers.

But don’t they need someone to organize the team/offense? Most if not all of the top teams at least have that although not always their pg. Zach and Coby don’t appear to be that player so it means you’d need to find that player at a different position which is more difficult.

With a good offense and versatile playmakers you should have multiple guys on the floor who play that role. We’ve unfortunately had pretty bad offenses and 1 dimensional players for a while. The last time we had one guy playing that role (Rose) the Heat just swarmed him in the playoffs and shut our offense down.

So you want a complete rebuild then? They don’t have versatile playmakers. So they can get a bunch or hope to get a primary one. Seems easier to add one than replace several.
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,000

Post#86 » by jordanwilliams6 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 am

cjbulls wrote:The other thing I learned is that Arturas does not have much of a media personality. Hoping that he’s not our primary FA recruiter. Is that Eversley’s role?

It seems that way. Eversley has made his way as an executive at Nike previously and is supposedly a good relationship builder.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#87 » by VolumePoster » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:12 am

Obviously it’s all just a scrimmage...

But Coby. Dude looked good. Good passing, sick handle, fast and strong. Obviously shooting is his make or break skill.

I’m not reaching for a point guard. Strictly bpa for me. Whether it’s Wiseman, Toppin, Deni, Ball...Im really looking forward to seeing Coby run the point.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#88 » by VolumePoster » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:13 am

cjbulls wrote:The other thing I learned is that Arturas does not have much of a media personality. Hoping that he’s not our primary FA recruiter. Is that Eversley’s role?

Yup. 100%. I can’t recall the quote but AK intimated as much.
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#89 » by Ben Wilson25 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:32 am

cjbulls wrote:
Ben Wilson25 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

So you want a complete rebuild then? They don’t have versatile playmakers. So they can get a bunch or hope to get a primary one. Seems easier to add one than replace several.

We’re hopefully building for the long term so I expect this roster to look very different 4 years from now. I don’t expect a burn it to the ground and start over rebuild, but yeah, if you listen to Chopper’s stated vision he wants high IQ versatile players and I think we’ll see him make incremental moves in that direction starting with this year’s pick. I doubt he came here to just add a couple of pieces to offset the weaknesses of the current roster.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#90 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:37 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
rtblues wrote:Does Adam Mokoka have a shot to stick around?

He's pretty terrible. Check his G-League stats. https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/m/mokokad01d.html

We really need to do a better job of using the 2-way contract spots on legitimate prospects.

Honestly this is one of the things I'm looking forward to with the new regime. Especially how they have added to the scouting department.

No more wasting 2-way contract or roster spots as favors to agents anymore.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#91 » by Grodoboldo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:07 am

Damn, LaVine's arms look bigger than Abby's from The Last of Us 2!!!
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
dpucane
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#92 » by dpucane » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 am

PaKii94 wrote:Gafford was pretty bad on defense. He was broken quite a few plays.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. He even lost felicio for an easy dunk.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using RealGM mobile app
The Chosen one
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#93 » by The Chosen one » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:37 am

Man Coby and Zach are going to be lethal together. I can’t think of a faster backcourt right now. They both are going to go off for over 20 points a game. Whites playmaking looks way better. He made some good reads that didn’t lead to assist. He dropped a dime to Wendell in transition that Wendell should’ve dunked but he passed to out to Makoka for a 3. Zach looked unstoppable which is to be expected. It’s nobody out there that had a chance of guarding him, even the top defenders in the league struggle to guard Lavine. I’ve been saying this for a while Hutch is going to be good. I saw Hutchinson play a few times in person and he looks way more athletic in person than on tv. I think he’s going to play a key role for the bulls. I like that Markannan looks agressive. He does need to be able to take advantage of guards on him though or he will always be a 3 or 4th option. Lavine added strength will help him on defense. Carter looked very mobile. Even though he missed his 3 point shot I liked that he had the confidence to take it within hesitation. Satoransky looks like a guy that might be able to give you solid minutes running the back up point guard spot. He had some nice passes. I want to see him be more aggressive with his shot when he has it though.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#94 » by TeamMan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:14 am

The Chosen one wrote:Man Coby and Zach are going to be lethal together. I can’t think of a faster backcourt right now. They both are going to go off for over 20 points a game. Whites playmaking looks way better. He made some good reads that didn’t lead to assist. He dropped a dime to Wendell in transition that Wendell should’ve dunked but he passed to out to Makoka for a 3. Zach looked unstoppable which is to be expected. It’s nobody out there that had a chance of guarding him, even the top defenders in the league struggle to guard Lavine. I’ve been saying this for a while Hutch is going to be good. I saw Hutchinson play a few times in person and he looks way more athletic in person than on tv. I think he’s going to play a key role for the bulls. I like that Markannan looks agressive. He does need to be able to take advantage of guards on him though or he will always be a 3 or 4th option. Lavine added strength will help him on defense. Carter looked very mobile. Even though he missed his 3 point shot I liked that he had the confidence to take it within hesitation. Satoransky looks like a guy that might be able to give you solid minutes running the back up point guard spot. He had some nice passes. I want to see him be more aggressive with his shot when he has it though.

Great evaluation.

Agree with everything that you listed.

If OPJ can make a full comeback, the Bulls will have a great run-and-gun team.

Would like to see Hutch's 3P shot to see if he's shooting it with confidence.

Good that the G-League players were included. It's clear that the new FO and HC want to get a close up look at everybody.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#95 » by rtblues » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:26 am

With everything that's going on in the world right now, listening to Coby White talking about some fries being "Fire" is a very comforting distraction :-) How can you not love this kid? He's a rare breed in this league and a breath of fresh air, and I'm digging his game a lot too right now.

I was really impressed that he mentioned that there are three parts of his game that he has been working on improving over the Summer/Pause. 90% of getting better at anything is self-evaluation and self-awareness. It's easy to just work on the stuff that one is good at it. But to look at one's self and admit and face weaknesses is the first and most important step in correcting and improving those specific things. The 3 things he mentioned are basically the things that have been noted in the media, and recognized by some on this board, and now he has taken that on himself to improve.

Most encouraging for me was seeing how he has the potential to play the 1 with Lavine at the 2. He may just solve all of the talk about needing a PG or drafting one. They can instead look at wings, or find a backup PG with their 2nd round pick (Malachi Flynn?) or a three-point shooter (Markus Howard?).
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#96 » by rtblues » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
rtblues wrote:Does Adam Mokoka have a shot to stick around?

He's pretty terrible. Check his G-League stats. https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/m/mokokad01d.html

We really need to do a better job of using the 2-way contract spots on legitimate prospects.

Yikes! Thank you. Never mind.....
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#97 » by mtron32 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:03 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:This was fun jut to see the guys play basketball, but I wouldn't take too much away from how they were utilised or played - at least I won't, not until the new head coach and coaching staff get a chance to truly implement their own system.

Hell, we don't even know what our team will look like at the start of the season, there could be just as much roster change, as there has been with the front office and coaching, so you just never know. Then there is of course the draft to come.

I can't wait for the season to start! Though I'm not expecting the playoffs from Billy's first season coaching the Bulls, but I am expecting improvement. I haven't been this optimistic about the Bulls in some time.

Yeah I just watched and it looked like they were still running that same defense from last season and Lauri is still afraid of the post. Shots are falling though but that defense may be the reason. If they can keep Hutchison healthy he may be a solid piece for us.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#98 » by dougthonus » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 pm

The best thing about this scrimmage is hearing Adam Amin on it. Easily the biggest talent upgrade the Bulls have seen since Derrick Rose. What a breath of fresh air this guy is. I hope he stays here long term, but I think he's oozing talent and will be picked up by a national spot sometime really fast.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls