ImageImageImageImageImage

Lue new Clippers coach

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,445

Re: Lue new Clippers coach 

Post#21 » by mtcan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm

alpngso wrote:
mtcan wrote:Lue is soooo overrated. He quit on the Cavs after Lebron left after he was exposed as a bad coach.

Dude won a ring still. I think he’s actually underrated. Completely destroyed Casey

Lebron killed Casey...Lue had little to do with it.
If the strategy is to surround Lebron with 4 other shooters...and your entire roster consists of Lebron, Tristan Thompson and a bunch of shooters...you can't make a wrong move no matter who you sub in.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,357

Post#22 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:34 pm

alpngso wrote:
mtcan wrote:Lue is soooo overrated. He quit on the Cavs after Lebron left after he was exposed as a bad coach.

Dude won a ring still. I think he’s actually underrated. Completely destroyed Casey

or was it lebron? we shall see.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#23 » by maternal85 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:16 pm

Greg Foster Jr. wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
traps#10 wrote:Why is Lue considered a good coach?

Why isn't he ? He has won the ultimate prize as a head coach before.

And then what happened when he didn't have Lebron on his team anymore?

The same thing with every other 29 head coaches
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#24 » by maternal85 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm

traps#10 wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

Everyone knows Lebron was the real Head Coach and the GM when they won the chip in Cleveland lol

And now it'll be KL2 team, and he'll be the real GM. So what's your point. I guess Erik Spo is not a good coach too ?
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#25 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Don't know if Lue is a good X's and O's coach or strategic coach especially defensively. The Clippers need more than just a player's coach, which is basically what Doc Rivers was.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#26 » by kalel123 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:56 pm

There are people who think Lue is a good coach. I'm not too sure about that. To be sure though, his tenure with Clippers should show us one way or another. Would be interested to find out.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#27 » by Clay Davis » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 pm

Lue's offensive system in Cleveland was dope

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#28 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:09 pm

im not sure if hes that much better than rivers.

if anything their success relies a lot on Kawhi and Georges health
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Kreamy
RealGM
And1: 2,097

Post#29 » by Kreamy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Greg Foster Jr. wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

He went 1-17.
ballislife89
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#30 » by ballislife89 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Lmao, is this real? I thought it was some sort of parody at first. :lol:
Buddythefriend
Junior
And1: 476

Post#31 » by Buddythefriend » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:58 pm

Clay Davis wrote:Lue's offensive system in Cleveland was dope

I.e. give the ball to LeBron.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#32 » by ruckus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 pm

He supposed to be a good coach. It's hard to judge though when the only frame of reference is a team with Lebron. Spoelstra wasn't really recognized until Lebron moved on and was able to coach a team that overachieved above its talent level.

Even if Lue succeeds with the Clippers, it'll most likely be attributed to the talent on the roster instead of any key adjustments that he made as a coach.

It's also hard to garner respect from us casuals when his only other claim to fame is getting stepped over by AI.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,937

Post#33 » by Anticon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 pm

Clay Davis wrote:Lue's offensive system in Cleveland was dope

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using RealGM mobile app

That system was LeBron and shooters though. The Clippers don't even have a point guard.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#34 » by kalel123 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:48 pm

ruckus wrote:He supposed to be a good coach. It's hard to judge though when the only frame of reference is a team with Lebron. Spoelstra wasn't really recognized until Lebron moved on and was able to coach a team that overachieved above its talent level.

Even if Lue succeeds with the Clippers, it'll most likely be attributed to the talent on the roster instead of any key adjustments that he made as a coach.

It's also hard to garner respect from us casuals when his only other claim to fame is getting stepped over by AI.

I think there's something to be said about a coach being able to manage egos and personalities.

Lue would've done that with multiple teams if he does succeed with Clippers. I think then he definitely deserves respect as a good coach.

Until then though, jury's definitely out on him.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,437

Post#35 » by KL78192020 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:08 am

Not only that. He took a leave of absence in 2018, because of stress and anxiety. Not sure he cut out for it.
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Post#36 » by Los Manos » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 am

I'm getting flash forwards to 2021 and Paul George telling the media that no-one considered it title or bust when it's your first year with a new coach.

While I'm ok giving a guy a second chance after the situation with stress/anxiety that lead to Lue stepping away from his team mid-season (I give the benefit of the doubt that he now has developed coping mechanisms) it does cause concern whether he has the right style/demeanor to get the best out of the Clippers.

It was fascinating to hear from Jared Dudley on Bill Simmons podcast about how Frank Vogel got the best out of the Lakers - No ego. To paraphrase, if guys were having 6 conversations in the locker room, Vogel will wait until everyone's finished rather than interjecting and demanding attention. It rang very similarly to Nick Nurse's demeanor. In a championship calibre locker room you can't be constantly acting like your voice is always the most important. The players are too experienced with exceptional basketball iq themselves and their egos have to massaged.

While Lue comes across as fairly low ego, I don't think it's a major leap to assume he stepped away in Cleveland because of continuous friction in the locker room that he wasn't experienced enough to handle. And that could very well be because he was demanding his voice be heard and the players pushing back with frequency.

Maybe he has learned his lesson and will be more relaxed and allow more ownership from the players. Because in the NBA for competing teams with veterans, the best head coaches know there is a limit to the impact of their voice and they do far more listening during the regular season than talking, knowing that their voice must still be fresh come playoffs when the team really needs to hear it.

I think Nick Nurse described it with Woj as having six bullets and in our championship year he only needed to actually pull the trigger 3 times. Experienced coaches know their voice and influence is finite in an ego filled locker room. Let your assistants be the daily voices and don't waste your bullets until your team really needs to be blasted. The regular season is such a grind that the head coach's priority should be to stay relaxed, keep everyone happy and don't bruise any ego's unnecessarily.
supra2k8
Starter
And1: 4,070

Post#37 » by supra2k8 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:15 am

If things don't go well, I can see the Clippers firing Lue and allowing Billups to take over as the head coach
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,437

Post#38 » by KL78192020 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:18 am

kalel123 wrote:
ruckus wrote:He supposed to be a good coach. It's hard to judge though when the only frame of reference is a team with Lebron. Spoelstra wasn't really recognized until Lebron moved on and was able to coach a team that overachieved above its talent level.

I think there's something to be said about a coach being able to manage egos and personalities.

Lue would've done that with multiple teams if he does succeed with Clippers. I think then he definitely deserves respect as a good coach.

Until then though, jury's definitely out on him.

Sure he can many egos, but what did he do without Lebron? 1-18 record lol.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,407

Post#39 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:27 am

Lmao
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#40 » by Hero » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 am

Greg Foster Jr. wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

He has Kawhi and Paul George.

Return to Toronto Raptors