Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Re: Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though. 

Post#541 » by Alize » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Pg81 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
LeBron was the primary ball handler for his team, MJ was not so not a good comparison.

Of course, but that's why comparing raw apg numbers is also unfair. They had different roles on their teams.

Pace or possession adjusted is not any better either doubly true when you compare two players from eras which are over 20 years apart. Pace does not affect superstars much in terms of scoring, it affects role players much more.
Jordan is a better scorer than LeBron I doubt anyone apart from some LeBron stans dispute that. LeBron provides a lot in other eras than MJ though.

The scoring edge is minimal. Lebron is more effiecient from 3 point land and way way more efficient near the basket.
GhosDini
Junior
And1: 685

Post#542 » by GhosDini » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:05 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
GhosDini wrote:The thing Lebron fans will slowly have to come to terms with is the fact that this is not a real championship. Sure, it will be called one and recognized as such by the media and NBA. But whenever this goat conversation comes up people arent going to respect this title at least the way they do others.

People say there are no asterisks. People also say not all titles are equal. In the grand scheme of things this just might be the lowest quality championship in NBA history.

That's fine. What LeBron can hang his hat on is the fact that we obliterated the West on a neutral court when he and the Lakers would have had home court advantage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Lol. Everyone was injured, out of shape, and not even wanting to be there. But take what you can get I guess.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#543 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:14 pm

Nothing has changed and nothing will change. Lebron lost the chance to be the very best a very long time ago.
Alize
Senior

Post#544 » by Alize » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:56 pm

GhosDini wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
GhosDini wrote:The thing Lebron fans will slowly have to come to terms with is the fact that this is not a real championship. Sure, it will be called one and recognized as such by the media and NBA. But whenever this goat conversation comes up people arent going to respect this title at least the way they do others.

People say there are no asterisks. People also say not all titles are equal. In the grand scheme of things this just might be the lowest quality championship in NBA history.

That's fine. What LeBron can hang his hat on is the fact that we obliterated the West on a neutral court when he and the Lakers would have had home court advantage

Lol. Everyone was injured, out of shape, and not even wanting to be there. But take what you can get I guess.

Sure. Give me out of shape Denver Nuggets over anything Jordan beat.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#545 » by twyzted » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm

Alize wrote:
GhosDini wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:That's fine. What LeBron can hang his hat on is the fact that we obliterated the West on a neutral court when he and the Lakers would have had home court advantage

Afraid of a challenge are we?
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
GhosDini
Junior
And1: 685

Post#546 » by GhosDini » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Alize wrote:
GhosDini wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:That's fine. What LeBron can hang his hat on is the fact that we obliterated the West on a neutral court when he and the Lakers would have had home court advantage

Lol
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#547 » by Jkam31 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:39 pm

ThePersianFreak wrote:To me the absolute peak of LeBron is higher than Jordan (Last 3 games against GSW in 2016 is the highest level of basketball from an individual that i've ever seen). That's because of LeBron's versatility on defense and the way he anchored the D and was the main rim protector for the Cavs. MJ had better defensive career and overall i put him ahead of LeBron defensively, but the ceiling of LeBron is higher defensively and that showed during those Finals. But 3-5 games is a very small sample size and overall i think Jordan had the higher peak (albeit very close to LeBron and Shaq) over the course of a single season. Jordan was a tad more consistent during his prime but LeBron's prime is soooooooo long. Overall i think their Peak/Prime is comparable but the fact that LeBron's prime is almost 14 years gives him the edge.
So, in a vacuume i think their colse to each other.
Then there's the individual and team accolades, Jordan is better here, 2 more rings while being the best player and 1 more regular season MVP. I don't value these type of accolades that high, but when you're comparing 2 players that are so close to each other, you can use these as tiebreakers.
Right now i have Jordan and LeBron as 1a and 1b. If LeBron has another 2 seasons of superstar play and wins another ring as the best player on his team, i can put him ahead of Jordan.

Of course these are all my opinions and im the kinda guy who values peak/prime more that longivity. That's why i have Shaq at number 7 on my list (Jordan, Bron, Kareem, Magic, Russell,Duncan, Shaq). Of course if you value longivity more, Kareem and Duncan have their cases. If you value defense and leadership more, Bill Russell has his case and ... .

How when Kyrie was just as good as him in that finals series Oh nevermind it’s al lebron ignore me
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Post#548 » by Homer38 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
ThePersianFreak wrote:To me the absolute peak of LeBron is higher than Jordan (Last 3 games against GSW in 2016 is the highest level of basketball from an individual that i've ever seen). That's because of LeBron's versatility on defense and the way he anchored the D and was the main rim protector for the Cavs. MJ had better defensive career and overall i put him ahead of LeBron defensively, but the ceiling of LeBron is higher defensively and that showed during those Finals. But 3-5 games is a very small sample size and overall i think Jordan had the higher peak (albeit very close to LeBron and Shaq) over the course of a single season. Jordan was a tad more consistent during his prime but LeBron's prime is soooooooo long. Overall i think their Peak/Prime is comparable but the fact that LeBron's prime is almost 14 years gives him the edge.
So, in a vacuume i think their colse to each other.
Then there's the individual and team accolades, Jordan is better here, 2 more rings while being the best player and 1 more regular season MVP. I don't value these type of accolades that high, but when you're comparing 2 players that are so close to each other, you can use these as tiebreakers.
Right now i have Jordan and LeBron as 1a and 1b. If LeBron has another 2 seasons of superstar play and wins another ring as the best player on his team, i can put him ahead of Jordan.

Of course these are all my opinions and im the kinda guy who values peak/prime more that longivity. That's why i have Shaq at number 7 on my list (Jordan, Bron, Kareem, Magic, Russell,Duncan, Shaq). Of course if you value longivity more, Kareem and Duncan have their cases. If you value defense and leadership more, Bill Russell has his case and ... .

How when Kyrie was just as good as him in that finals series Oh nevermind it’s al lebron ignore me

Kyrie was better to LeBron in his finals at nothing whether this is playmaking, scoring,defense or fourth quarter scoring.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#549 » by Drygon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 am

Here's context in all of LeBron's' 9 NBA Finals appearances (2007-2018)...

twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#550 » by twyzted » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:46 am

Drygon wrote:Here's context in all of LeBron's' 9 NBA Finals appearances (2007-2018)...

In game 5 vs gsw 4th quarter
Lbj 2/7 fg 0/2 3pt 1/1 ft 4rebs 1 ast 1 blk 5 pts
Kyrie 5/9 fg 1/2 3pt 1/1 2 rebs 1 ast 12 pts.
Full game
Kyrie 17/24 5/7 2/2 4 rebs 6 ast 2 stl 41 pts
Lbj 16/30 4/8 5/8 16 rebs 7 ast 3 stl 3 blk 41 pts
That is alot of help
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,568

Post#551 » by homecourtloss » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:53 am

Drygon wrote:Here's context in all of LeBron's' 9 NBA Finals appearances (2007-2018)...

2012 “Young.” Yeah, they were, but literally more talent than any team Jordan played in the finals. That team also had a +6.44 SRS and would be +9.15 the very next year (GOAT level SRS) but were derailed by injuries.

2014 “Aging Spurs.” OK. Aging is bad, young is bad. I guess playing 35 year old Stockton and Malone is ok, though.

2016 faced “crippled and unhealthy team.” :lol: :lol: That seems real objective :lol:

Out of their 16 Finals’ opponents, LeBron faced the 6 best and probably at least the 7 or 8 of the 10 best.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#552 » by Drygon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:59 am

homecourtloss wrote:

2016 faced “crippled and unhealthy team.” :lol: :lol: That seems real objective :lol:

I don't know why you (as a Raptors fan) is brushing it off when you guys won NBA Finals 2019 with exact same reason.
Alize
Senior

Post#553 » by Alize » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:49 pm

what is this **** of a too long meme?
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,859

Post#554 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Wilt will always be goat... not even close... still holds over 70 NBA records.... a man amongst boys...

.Chamberlain holds 72 NBA records, 68 by himself. Among his records are several that are considered unbreakable, such as averaging 22.9 rebounds for a career or 50.4 points per game in a season, scoring 100 points or 55 rebounds in a single game, scoring 65 or more points 15 times, 50 or more points 118 times.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Post#555 » by Homer38 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:56 pm

We can also focus on the negative things of Michael Jordan if you want!

Read on Twitter
A_Biased_Fan
Junior
And1: 479

Post#556 » by A_Biased_Fan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:19 pm

homecourtloss wrote:

2012 “Young.” Yeah, they were, but literally more talent than any team Jordan played in the finals. That team also had a +6.44 SRS and would be +9.15 the very next year (GOAT level SRS) but were derailed by injuries.

2014 “Aging Spurs.” OK. Aging is bad, young is bad. I guess playing 35 year old Stockton and Malone is ok, though.

Out of their 16 Finals’ opponents, LeBron faced the 6 best and probably at least the 7 or 8 of the 10 best.

I literally think Skip Bayless wrote that summary he posted :lol:
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#557 » by OdomFan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:26 pm

homecourtloss wrote:

You'd guess right considering Michael Jordan was also 34-35 in that 97 and 98 Finals series. Lebron on the other hand was much younger than the aged Spurs players being brought up here.

Lol at the 2012 Thunder being better than every finals opponent Jordan face. Just another example of ignorant incorrect hot takes.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,384

Post#558 » by The4thHorseman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:35 pm

You know someone's shook AF when they're claiming the 2016 Warriors were "crippled"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,384

Post#559 » by The4thHorseman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:39 pm

OdomFan wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

You'd guess right considering Michael Jordan was also 34-35 in that 97 and 98 Finals series. Lebron on the other hand was much younger than the aged Spurs players being brought up here.

Lol at the 2012 Thunder being better than every finals opponent Jordan face. Just another example of ignorant incorrect hot takes.

MJ was the one after the 1993 season who needed time off cause he was physically and mentally drained (his own words). You don't think his time away from the game didn't help him heal his mind and body for the 96-98 run?
Alize
Senior

Post#560 » by Alize » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm

I also think the 2012 OKC is a better team than anything Jordan faced in the 90s.
OdomFan wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

2016 faced “crippled and unhealthy team.” That seems real objective

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board