Ladies And Gentlemen, Tyronne Lue

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Re: Ladies And Gentlemen, Tyronne Lue 

Post#41 » by Clemenza » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:48 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:it's just asinine to think lue will be doc 2.0 or whatever, and that the team didn't seek to address their problems in the playoffs.

like imagine thinking the team wanted more of the same. well actually if that was the case they would have just kept doc, wouldn't they?

just amazes me the tripe people come up with.

The front office would have kept Doc if Ballmer didn't intervene, so yes, they wanted more of the same. Which is why they hired more of the same.

We had seven years of Doc's bad decisions lets at least give Lue a season before we start any kind of narratives up against him. He hasn't even coached one game yet
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,437

Post#42 » by KL78192020 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:59 pm

Clemenza wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:Not sure he's the right guy for the job. He took a leave of absence in 2018 because it got to much for him, which is fine. But not sure he's cut out for the rigors and stress of a head coaching job and the pressure that will come to win.

What are you talking about? He a championship winning coach who came back from a 3-1 deficit against Golden State. He's been to the Finals twice as a matter of fact.

I'm satisfied with the hire personally. We don't need a savior.. all we need is a guy who cut out the foolishness, play the winning hand and not favorites, run an offense that consists than take turns-iso ball, not coddle the stars, make adjustments, and get some kind of player development going. The job was too pressurized and spotlight driven to experiment with a coach from the college ranks or from overseas. Lets see what he can do

Have you heard of this guy named Lebron? He took probably one of the worst coaches in Mike Brown to the finals.

Tyron Lues record without Lebron? 1-18. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but it remains to be seen if he can perform under pressure, LA is going to be worse that Cleveland where he had to take that leave of absence.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#43 » by esqtvd » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 am

Clemenza wrote:We had seven years of Doc's bad decisions lets at least give Lue a season before we start any kind of narratives up against him. He hasn't even coached one game yet

no, let's start whining now and ruin every game of the 2020-21 season just to be safe :lol:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#44 » by TheNewEra » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:08 am

Wonder how this impacts the younger guys I read Lue leans more on his vets as well. Tristan Thompson can also become a option now but will he take a backup role or will Lue try to force him as the starter
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Re: Ty Lue time!! 

Post#45 » by Kelphus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:23 am

MartinToVaught wrote:We didn't need a savior, we needed a coach. Instead we hired someone who watched the games while LeBron did all the coaching for him.

It's impossible for me to get excited about another proven mediocre-at-best retread when that's all the Clippers ever hire and it never works for us.

Just wondering what the betting line is on when MTV starts his "Fire Lue" thread.
I am guessing after first Clipper loss.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#46 » by TucsonClip » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 am

Goner wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:This is a terrible, lazy hire. It honestly feels like we never fired Doc in the first place. :noway:

It does seem that Lue is a backwards hire. But he has two things going:

1. He's younger. Doc Rivers is 59 years old, and has coached for 20 years. Doc coaches guys who played for him before, who defeated him, and his own son. Lue has never exhibited those behaviors.

2. He broke an unbreakable record. No team in NBA history had ever come back from a 3-1 deficit in the NBA Finals, the record was 32-0. Under Lue, the Cavs broke the Cleveland Curse with that comeback, defeating the 73-9 Warriors in the process. The only reason why the Cavs lost in consecutive Finals after the 3-1 miracle comeback was that Golden State acquired Kevin Durant to give them a Fantastic 4.

I have my doubts about this hire, too. But I'm not going to call this a Doc Rivers 2.0 situation, not yet. Let's see what Lue can do.

Yeah, but you didn't even mention his ability or style of coaching. Lue has a reputation of being a Ra-Ra guy with little in the way of X's and O's. Since our roster as presently constructed lacks a floor general (like Lue had in LeBron), there isn't much suggesting that he brings what we need.

The above reputation is based on a false media narrative.

The players like him (n two different variations of the roster), he's a good strategist, and he'll hold guys accountable.

Couldn't disagree more.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#47 » by nickhx2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 am

Max Headrom wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:it's just asinine to think lue will be doc 2.0 or whatever, and that the team didn't seek to address their problems in the playoffs.

like imagine thinking the team wanted more of the same. well actually if that was the case they would have just kept doc, wouldn't they?

As you can see, some posters are just gonna be negative no matter what...

there's plenty of miserable people on this board whom i've had zero compunction about blocking.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#48 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:19 am

Clemenza wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

The front office would have kept Doc if Ballmer didn't intervene, so yes, they wanted more of the same. Which is why they hired more of the same.

We had seven years of Doc's bad decisions lets at least give Lue a season before we start any kind of narratives up against him. He hasn't even coached one game yet

This is not Lue's first head coaching job and there's already a large enough sample size to judge him by.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,202

Post#49 » by Max Headrom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 am

TheNewEra wrote:Wonder how this impacts the younger guys I read Lue leans more on his vets as well. Tristan Thompson can also become a option now but will he take a backup role or will Lue try to force him as the starter

LeBron wanted vets to play and the owner in Cleveland gave LeBron all the power. Look at what LeBron did when he got to the Lakers, he's never liked playing with younger players. Lue doesn't have the LeBron cloud over his head anymore and no matter how you slice it, he out coached Kerr in the finals that year. He makes adjustments in the playoffs and that's exactly what this team needed. The hell with the regular season
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#50 » by nickhx2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:35 am

clipsfever wrote:I'm enthusiastic about the rather dull Chauncey B not being part of our broadcast team anymore...

actually this is the best part
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#51 » by playaloc916 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:19 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:The pool of candidates was pretty dry. Not many decent head coaches, but a few promising assistant coaches. I don't think there was a clear favorite, so they went with the "safest" choice...

Regardless, I'm sure Ballmer was extra critical of this hiring. This was the guy who went on a tirade and wanted to fire the entire team. I don't think he would accept hiring Lue if it mean getting Doc 2.0 [...] but I hope they add another good assistant, as right now, it's Lue, with Billups as lead, and Larry Drew. I'm thinking Cassell is probably gone.

Which is why I think the Clippers might go after a coach nobody has ever heard of before (read: not affiliated with NBA in any capacity) to be one of Lue's assistants. That coach may come from the NCAA, overseas, maybe even a high school coach. Who's an unknown assistant that could surprise the league?

That's why I like Nurse; he hand picked a few head coaches from Europe to be a part of his coaching staff. Non-basketball related, but I also remember reading an article saying that teams that have a diverse makeup, often collaborate better or are more productive than less diverse ones. So an external coach, not affiliated with the current team, could be very beneficial.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by Clemenza » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:25 am

KL78192020 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:Not sure he's the right guy for the job. He took a leave of absence in 2018 because it got to much for him, which is fine. But not sure he's cut out for the rigors and stress of a head coaching job and the pressure that will come to win.

What are you talking about? He a championship winning coach who came back from a 3-1 deficit against Golden State. He's been to the Finals twice as a matter of fact.

I'm satisfied with the hire personally. We don't need a savior.. all we need is a guy who cut out the foolishness, play the winning hand and not favorites, run an offense that consists than take turns-iso ball, not coddle the stars, make adjustments, and get some kind of player development going. The job was too pressurized and spotlight driven to experiment with a coach from the college ranks or from overseas. Lets see what he can do

Have you heard of this guy named Lebron? He took probably one of the worst coaches in Mike Brown to the finals.

Tyron Lues record without Lebron? 1-18. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but it remains to be seen if he can perform under pressure, LA is going to be worse that Cleveland where he had to take that leave of absence.

Cleveland wanted to tank after Bron left and Lue didn't want to and he got axed for it. So Vogel didn't benefit from Bron & AD, Spolstra didn't benefit from Bron, Wade, & Bosh, Phil didn't benefit from MJ, Pippen, Kobe, and Shaq... Doc got a ring and still eats well off it because KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen. You guys gotta stop with this bullsh*t. Fine Lue got a ring cause of Bron and so did these other stooges who got fat off of Bron as well. Lets keep it consistent if we're going to go this route.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#53 » by God Squad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:11 am

Hey Clips fans, how do you guys feel about this hire? I'm really loving the Chauncey lead assistant pickup. Hopefully, he'll be able to take the reigns.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#54 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:32 am

God Squad wrote:Hey Clips fans, how do you guys feel about this hire? I'm really loving the Chauncey lead assistant pickup. Hopefully, he'll be able to take the reigns.

I just hope that Lue is able to make proper adjustments and fix any chemistry problems (maybe the front office will have to get rid of some guys though).

I think Chauncey was a very smart player and in contrast to many fans, I think he made insightful observations as a commentator. He may be a better head coach than Lue. I kind of wanted them to hire him or Cassell instead of Lue.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#55 » by nickhx2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:34 am

God Squad wrote:Hey Clips fans, how do you guys feel about this hire? I'm really loving the Chauncey lead assistant pickup. Hopefully, he'll be able to take the reigns.

I think plenty of people would have liked a more mysterious/exciting pick, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it would have been a better one.

I think it's a good, solid choice. He's got history of making adjustments in the playoffs (something we clearly did not have) and he's also got the wherewithal to hold his players accountable. People like to meme on him but I just mostly think they are too willing to buy into media and realgm narratives.
nickhx2
RealGM

Re: Ty Lue time!! 

Post#56 » by nickhx2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:39 am

from the link i posted earlier

"Despite a national reputation as a “player’s coach”–a designation regularly used to downplay the tactical abilities of Black coaches–and some concern that Cleveland’s success had more to do with Lebron James than Lue’s coaching, observers close to the Cavaliers team have a very high opinion of Lue’s command of offensive X’s and O’s, defensive game planning, and willingness to experiment and adjust over the course of a playoff series. That’s all in addition to, yes, building foundations for strong relationships in the locker room that allow him to hold stars accountable, most famously calling out Lebron James at halftime of game 7 during the 2016 NBA Finals."
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Clemenza » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Now all these 'players were upset over Kawhi's load management' stories are all over the news. Lol, so ya'll really thought a college, a European, or a first time head coach was going to be thrown into this situation? Ty Lue more than likely broke down to Ballmer and Frank on how he was going to mend the team back together during interviews.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#58 » by TucsonClip » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:18 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
The above reputation is based on a false media narrative.

The players like him (n two different variations of the roster), he's a good strategist, and he'll hold guys accountable.

Couldn't disagree more.

Also, if you dont want to believe me, which is fine, here are some quotes from Jovan Buha:

Stylistically, Lue’s Cleveland teams were relatively modern. He’s a more progressive coach than Rivers. He often played small-ball lineups, often with LeBron or Richard Jefferson at the four (picture Leonard or George doing so more often) and downsized the center position by going five-out with Love (imagine JaMychal Green or Marcus Morris Sr.). He even made the difficult decision to bench Love in crunch time of the playoffs in favor of the more defensively capable Tristan Thompson, while maintaining the star’s buy-in to the team’s culture.

Some changes that Lue will bring to the Clippers next season include better ball movement and a faster pace, league sources said. The Clippers will experiment more on the defensive end, mixing in more zone coverages and varying pick-and-roll schemes. The younger players on the roster — Ivica Zubac, Landry Shamet, Terance Mann and Mfiondu Kabengele — will be given larger roles and more minutes. The Clippers plan to stagger Leonard and George’s minutes more, as well as testing out different role players around them to see what lineup combinations work best.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#59 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Clemenza wrote:Now all these 'players were upset over Kawhi's load management' stories are all over the news. Lol, so ya'll really thought a college, a European, or a first time head coach was going to be thrown into this situation? Ty Lue more than likely broke down to Ballmer and Frank on how he was going to mend the team back together during interviews.

Actually it sounded like Clippers had their hands forced because Houston might have signed Lue.

So they didn't want to risk a first-time NBA HC with this roster of stars and vets.

At least he's a name that can be sold to Kawhi.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#60 » by TheNewEra » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Clemenza wrote:Now all these 'players were upset over Kawhi's load management' stories are all over the news. Lol, so ya'll really thought a college, a European, or a first time head coach was going to be thrown into this situation? Ty Lue more than likely broke down to Ballmer and Frank on how he was going to mend the team back together during interviews.

Lou and Harrell seemed to be the most vocal

Return to Los Angeles Clippers