ImageImageImageImageImage

Lue new Clippers coach

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,524

Re: Lue new Clippers coach 

Post#41 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:47 am

He deserves credit if he gets the Clippers over the top. Big question mark is what happens if Clippers don't win the title next season? Getting through the Lakers, Warriors, Mavs, and Nuggets won't be easy.
rapsdontlie
Pro Prospect
And1: 985

Post#42 » by rapsdontlie » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:03 am

Kevin Willis wrote:
traps#10 wrote:Why is Lue considered a good coach?

Really good question. He's a good superstars coach, I wouldn't hire him to build a culture but manage egos and get them to play hard. Other than that, I have nothing.

Can't we say that for Doc too?

I thought they wanted someone who can bring more than that. Strategies, X's and O's--things that matter when it becomes a chess match in the playoffs.

That's why this signing is odd IMO. And to make it even more odd, they signed Lue to a 5 year deal. Maybe because there's no one else better out there? I don't know.

And I also believe that Lebron overrated him as a head coach. Lebron is like the ultimate package--superstar/leader/coach all in one. So he didn't have much pressure when they won. And as great as Kawhi is (and to lesser extent PG), they're not Lebron. So we never really seen how Lue would do with this much pressure.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,003

Post#43 » by kalel123 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:41 am

KL78192020 wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
ruckus wrote:He supposed to be a good coach. It's hard to judge though when the only frame of reference is a team with Lebron. Spoelstra wasn't really recognized until Lebron moved on and was able to coach a team that overachieved above its talent level.

Even if Lue succeeds with the Clippers, it'll most likely be attributed to the talent on the roster instead of any key adjustments that he made as a coach.

It's also hard to garner respect from us casuals when his only other claim to fame is getting stepped over by AI.

I think there's something to be said about a coach being able to manage egos and personalities.

Lue would've done that with multiple teams if he does succeed with Clippers. I think then he definitely deserves respect as a good coach.

Until then though, jury's definitely out on him.

Sure he can many egos, but what did he do without Lebron? 1-18 record lol.

Cleveland roster was pitiful without LeBron.
Kahn_2001
Starter
And1: 2,190

Post#44 » by Kahn_2001 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:49 am

Why 5 years though? Makes zero sense to give an unproven coach that long.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
credit: TurboZone
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#45 » by will » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:09 am

This is a testament to Ballmer's checkbook. Mans just out here doling out 5 years for Ty Lue as his head coach?

GG
Van_Trump
Veteran
And1: 1,266

Post#46 » by Van_Trump » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:52 am

I was never sold on the Clippers team + Kawhi + George being championship calibre.

This does not move the dial for me at all.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,155

Post#47 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 am

he's going to be a push over if the reports of KAwhi being a total diva is true.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
HoopAndTheHarm
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#48 » by HoopAndTheHarm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:58 am

Not sold on Lue managing the personalities on that team. Kawhi, George, Beverley, Lou Williams. Who knows whether either of Morris or Harrell come back but both can be a handful. Beyond that I just haven't seen anything to suggest he's any kind of an innovator on either end of the floor or any kind of master motivator.
I've got a belt on that's holding up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up my belt. I don't know what's really happening down there. Who is the real hero? - Mitch Hedberg

Return to Toronto Raptors