ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,120

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1721 » by pepe1991 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:55 am

dc wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:I know it’s the least popular option, but the team is short on players who can lock down power forwards and centers. Gordon and Isaac are big small forwards more than they are true power forwards.

In the modern game, those guys are both PFs. Boston made the ECFs starting Tatum and Brown at F.

Isaac could definitely be a demon on the defensive side but for his injuries.

Brown spent 50% of his PT at SG this year, but that's not suprising when you see he is just 6'6.

Also both Brown and Tatum ( especially Tatum ) have no issues with putting ball on the floor and attacking as guards/wings.

Where Isaac can't do almost anything off dribble and for team's sake it's better when Gordon doesn't pick up a dribble at all.

Not to mention that Brown and Tatum are 38% and 40% three point shooters, where Gordon and Isaac struggle to even hit 34% mark.

Brown spent 7% of all his pt in playoffs at PF and 77% at SF.
Tatum did play at PF 88% of time, but let's say another major thing. Main reason why Celtics didn't play in nba finals is because their complete lack of size. Adebayo averaged 22 points on 67% TS. They were simply outmuscled and outsized at "bigs". It got so bad that they even tried to play Kanter more just to have 7 footer.

Another thing was Kemba and his size, as he as well, couldn't guard anybody.

2 versitale SFs can play together in today basketball without major issues, but in playoffs it's still required to have center who can secure rebounds, point guard who can actually run offense , at least 2 above average shooters. What actually isn't required, is deep bench. As it's not that hard to squeeze 39-41 min from your starters and play 7 men lineup if you need it.
Bench is only useful in regular season. ( this is main reason, at least imo, why Bucks never go anywhere, they rely heavily on their bench in regular season, their PGs can't run offense and their starting C is alergic to rebounds)
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#1722 » by basketballRob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 am

The Effect wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
The Effect wrote:both are 6'3, 195lb shooting guards
Both are very athletic slashers with good shots but take alot of bad shots
Their numbers are pretty identical except for the 3pt shot
Both good defenders

To me, they are similar players except that Monk is more athletic and better shooter

IIRC Monk was way more of an off ball shooter type. Didn’t flash a lot of slashing like Maxey

he was more of a shooter, but he was also one of the more athletic\high flying players in the draft. Might not of slashed as much as maxey, but it wasnt because it wasnt part of his game, its just that he could do more things
Maxey is a better defender than Monk. He had an off year shooting or he'd be a top 10 lock. He might look good playing with Fultz and guarding the smaller, quick PG's.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/7/7/17543038/tyrese-maxey-wins-eybl-defensive-player-of-the-year

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1723 » by Xatticus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 am

tiderulz wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Saw a suggestion.... AG+ #15 for Levert + #19...

... what would you'll think?

I suppose I'd do it without the pick swap. I just don't see the reason to agree to that. I'd rather have Dinwiddie though. I'd agree to the pick swap if we got Dinwiddie and filler for Gordon instead. The extra year on LeVert's deal is nice, but I believe Dinwiddie is the better player and provides more of what we need.

except 3 pt shooting. Dinwiddie not a good shooter

Eh... he isn't a great shooter, but he isn't a bad one either. His numbers look worse because he plays on the ball. He is their facilitator when he is on the floor, which is why I want him. He will lose those duties when Kyrie is on the floor next year, so he might not even finish games for them. A high percentage of the shots he takes are off the dribble, which are just tougher shots. It brings his percentages down. He has a high 3PAr though, so he has gravity and he uses that to get the basket and set up his passing game. He gets to the line a lot. His percentages would come up if he played off the ball more, but his real value comes from running the offense, which is what we desperately need. He isn't Steph or Kyrie, but his shot is a weapon.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#1724 » by tiderulz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Xatticus wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
I suppose I'd do it without the pick swap. I just don't see the reason to agree to that. I'd rather have Dinwiddie though. I'd agree to the pick swap if we got Dinwiddie and filler for Gordon instead. The extra year on LeVert's deal is nice, but I believe Dinwiddie is the better player and provides more of what we need.

except 3 pt shooting. Dinwiddie not a good shooter

Eh... he isn't a great shooter, but he isn't a bad one either. His numbers look worse because he plays on the ball. He is their facilitator when he is on the floor, which is why I want him. He will lose those duties when Kyrie is on the floor next year, so he might not even finish games for them. A high percentage of the shots he takes are off the dribble, which are just tougher shots. It brings his percentages down. He has a high 3PAr though, so he has gravity and he uses that to get the basket and set up his passing game. He gets to the line a lot. His percentages would come up if he played off the ball more, but his real value comes from running the offense, which is what we desperately need. He isn't Steph or Kyrie, but his shot is a weapon.

career 32% from 3 is bad for a guard to me
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#1725 » by Knightro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Xatticus wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Cause Levert is seen as a better player. So to even out the value the pick swap is needed. Id consider this trade. Not sure the Nets would

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

Is he? I don’t know what that is based on. LeVert takes a lot of shots. He has lower career eFG and TS percentages than Gordon. That is the criticism of Gordon. LeVert’s 2P% has been plummeting and I really doubt he is actually a 36% 3-point shooter. He is an inferior defender and he is a year older. The only real plus that I see is the extra year on his deal, if that’s something you want.

I agree that Dinwiddle is a better player than LaVert despite the perception being the other way around.

Dinwiddie had a 3.14 ORPM last year, 21st best in the entire NBA.

LeVert also isn't as young as people think. He's already 26 and Dinwiddie is just 27.

If the Magic aren't going to rebuild, which it seems like they will not, then give me the better player.

Something like...

Dinwiddie and Prince for Gordon and either Birch or Ennis would work fine.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#1726 » by Bensational » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Def Swami wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:I feel Orl will try to move up for Haliburton. If they dont/can't and stay pat at 15, I think Terry is far and away the best option we could hope for.

The more I watch old clips of Haliburton and listen to his interviews, the more he becomes my favorite prospect in the draft. I really like his game. If the Magic do move up, I would hope it's for Haliburton. But, standing pat at 15 with Terry, Nesmith, and Lewis on the board wouldn't be bad also.

He seems like a Matt Lloyd type, just with a slighter frame than usual. But that 6'5-6'7 wing who can (or did in college) play secondary creator, who's gritty on defense, unselfish and passes well. Jimmy, Oladipo, Iwundu, Frazier (the last two being failed attempts at the archetype). But Haliburton seems much closer to the first two than the latter.

I'd be happy with taking him. I'd then convince myself that we'd have the skills on the team to become one of those "the team transcends the sum of its pieces" stories, with Vuc, Gordon, Okeke, Haliburton and Fultz all becoming a gritty defensive team on one side, and then a showcase of passing and movement efficiency on the other end.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#1727 » by zaymon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Bensational wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:I feel Orl will try to move up for Haliburton. If they dont/can't and stay pat at 15, I think Terry is far and away the best option we could hope for.

The more I watch old clips of Haliburton and listen to his interviews, the more he becomes my favorite prospect in the draft. I really like his game. If the Magic do move up, I would hope it's for Haliburton. But, standing pat at 15 with Terry, Nesmith, and Lewis on the board wouldn't be bad also.

He seems like a Matt Lloyd type, just with a slighter frame than usual. But that 6'5-6'7 wing who can (or did in college) play secondary creator, who's gritty on defense, unselfish and passes well. Jimmy, Oladipo, Iwundu, Frazier (the last two being failed attempts at the archetype). But Haliburton seems much closer to the first two than the latter.

I'd be happy with taking him. I'd then convince myself that we'd have the skills on the team to become one of those "the team transcends the sum of its pieces" stories, with Vuc, Gordon, Okeke, Haliburton and Fultz all becoming a gritty defensive team on one side, and then a showcase of passing and movement efficiency on the other end.

I dont know if Haliburton is Matt Lloyd type. Last year it was NAW and we used him as a decoy. We like players with tools and Haliburton has hardly any.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1728 » by Bensational » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:39 pm

zaymon wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Def Swami wrote:The more I watch old clips of Haliburton and listen to his interviews, the more he becomes my favorite prospect in the draft. I really like his game. If the Magic do move up, I would hope it's for Haliburton. But, standing pat at 15 with Terry, Nesmith, and Lewis on the board wouldn't be bad also.

I dont know if Haliburton is Matt Lloyd type. Last year it was NAW and we used him as a decoy. We like players with tools and Haliburton has hardly any.

What? He's an active defender who plays great help defense whilst also playing the lanes well. He can run transition on and off the ball at a high level. Active passer who can find the open man and move the ball quickly. His handles aren't strong enough to be a lead creator, but as a secondary he'll add another layer of defensive disruption. And he hits the 3 at 40%.

His future growth depends on his ability to learn to create his own shot off the bounce, either from deep or at the rim. But how can you say there are no tools to work with there? Maybe not star level, but certainly around the level that Okeke is projecting to be as a glue guy.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#1729 » by Def Swami » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:31 am

zaymon wrote:
Bensational wrote:
Def Swami wrote:The more I watch old clips of Haliburton and listen to his interviews, the more he becomes my favorite prospect in the draft. I really like his game. If the Magic do move up, I would hope it's for Haliburton. But, standing pat at 15 with Terry, Nesmith, and Lewis on the board wouldn't be bad also.

Shot 40% from 3 over 2 seasons. Great passer and playmaker. Sees plays before the happen. Good length. Plus defender. High IQ. He may never be a superstar, but there are tools. He reminds me of Malcolm Brogdon in some ways.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#1730 » by zaymon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:39 am

Def Swami wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Shot 40% from 3 over 2 seasons. Great passer and playmaker. Sees plays before the happen. Good length. Plus defender. High IQ. He may never be a superstar, but there are tools. He reminds me of Malcolm Brogdon in some ways.

I didnt say he doesnt have skills, he is very skilled. What i meant by limited tools is weak frame, slow first step, average coordination.
He is also very smart, and from Clifford interviews we are putting more emphasis on that.
There are some similarities to Brogdon, but he was strong, could create space and defend many positions, while Haliburton is weak, cant create space and is below average on ball defender.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 834

Post#1731 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:54 am

Any takers on 15th pick with Tyrese Maxey and pair him with Fultz?

Combo guard who can slash, score, pass and finish at the rim.

Here’s the Athletic 8.0 Mock Draft Profile write up on him

20. Miami Heat
Tyrese Maxey | 6-3 guard - 6-6 wingspan | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky

The Heat have obviously had incredible success in recent years selecting Kentucky players. Tyler Herro stands out from last year. The team did like PJ Washington as well, who turned out to be a strong rookie in Charlotte and went the pick before Herro. Bam Adebayo has morphed into one of the NBA’s best big men. And Pat Riley’s overall affinity for Kentucky players is well established.

If you buy into Maxey being a secondary ballhandler who can shoot, this pick makes sense. Kendrick Nunn has not been reliable in the playoffs, and Goran Dragic is a free agent this year. Maxey is a tough kid with a terrific, powerful frame that looks like that of a free safety. He’s 6-foot-3 with a 6-foot-6 wingspan. That often fits in Miami. He also has a real personality to him and is thought to be a great kid and a tremendous worker. More than the non-basketball stuff, though, Maxey is a real threat as an on-ball scoring guard with great craft. He finishes well at the basket, has a terrific floater game and does a great job getting downhill to get into the paint. He’s also a strong on-ball defender.

Ultimately, the big question here is the jumper and what level it gets to. Everyone around the industry is agreed that he is a better shooter than his 29 percent mark from 3 showed last year. But is he a 35 percent shooter? Does he have a chance to get up to 39 percent in the right circumstance? That number is going to tell the tale of how far Maxey goes in his career as a useful player. There probably isn’t a better place for him to land than Miami if that’s the question mark, though. The Heat have developed confident players to work within their jump shot extremely well in recent years.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#1732 » by KillMonger » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:44 am

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#1733 » by The Effect » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:36 pm

If i was a betting man, a month out from the draft, my money for us at 15, assuming no trade down and no major slides (like say hayes falls to a tradable range)

1 - Josh Green - Hes the WeHam prototype
2 - Saddiq Bey - Does all the things we are looking for, reminds me a bit of Chuma
3 - Jalen McDaniels - Weham size\length with high potential. Very Isaac-like game but not as good defensively\

With the wild card pick being Immanuel Quickley. 6'3 PG with 6'9 wingspan and a 41/93/43 shooter and shown the ability to be a lead guard at a major school (kentucky). Its a longshot, but it wouldnt shock me
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#1734 » by The Effect » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:42 pm

Man i would love to see flynn in a magic jersey next year
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#1735 » by Def Swami » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:39 pm

KillMonger wrote:

I really like everything about Haliburton's interview. He mentions that he doesn't like to force bad shots. I like that he says his goal is to be a 50-40-90 guy. I'm a sucker for smart players who can pass and can make plays. He's a guy who won't bust. I don't know what his ceiling is, but he's going to hit it.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1736 » by Bensational » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 am

Def Swami wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

I really like everything about Haliburton's interview. He mentions that he doesn't like to force bad shots. I like that he says his goal is to be a 50-40-90 guy. I'm a sucker for smart players who can pass and can make plays. He's a guy who won't bust. I don't know what his ceiling is, but he's going to hit it.

Yeah, I can see him thriving as a role player and being someone who will be able to come in and compete from day 1. I also don't think his ceiling is as limited as it's made out to be. I see Kris Middleton/Iggy level down the line as a very real possibility for him.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#1737 » by KillMonger » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am

Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 759

Post#1738 » by Tarheel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:11 am

Haliburton screams Brogdon to me. I think he'd be an excellent pickup.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#1739 » by dsg2021 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 am

I haven't seen too much of Haliburton but I see the attraction now. Reminds me of an even better, post-injury Shaun Livingston, who can shoot and pass stronger. I'd be so happy with a big trade that nets like #7 and #12 for Haliburton and Nesmith, while also getting us a 2021 or 2022 FRP without protection (I want my cake, and I want to eat it lol).

Maybe there's no star between Haliburton and Nesmith, but Nesmith is 2/3 and perfect 6th Man material if we get a star 2 in 2021 or 2022. I want JI to use the off-year to become not just consistently healthier, but somehow sneak in jumpshooting and offensive improvements. He has a lot of Giannis-lite potential offensively, some of which we were even starting to see in his last stretch of games!
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#1740 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 pm

everything Maxey says shows he really gets it. The part about being unselfish and coming together to win games at kentucky as a group is solid. He's still my guy at 15 if he's there.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:

Return to Orlando Magic