ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 -- (8PM, Wed, Nov. 18, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#561 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:02 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
snowman wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Question is with Tatum becoming the lead ballhandler on our squad a score-first PG like Kemba or IT doesnt make as much sense. You need a guy who can play off-ball effectively as well as handle. That's a perfect role for Hali.

That is a perfect role for Saddiq Bey, a 45% 3 pt shooter on over 5 attempts per game. 6'8 215, same size, but a bit more muscular as Tatum. I've seem so many names brought up in this thread, followed by "if he can just develop his shot" or "if he can just hit his 3's"
I am so tired of shooting guards and small forwards being drafted that can't shoot the friggin' ball. Let's draft someone that already has a NBA skill in shooting the ball. This guy is not a 3 pt threat, this guy actually makes them. This is who we need at 14.

I largely agree with this. We are a team that shoots TONS of 3s, yet we don't actually have any snipers. All of our best outside shooters are streaky at best. And that's why we often go into huge offensive slumps in games and blow 15, 20 point leads.

Having some players that ALREADY are excellent shooters and don't need to BECOME good shooters is an important need in this offseason.

I'd love for that to be filled in FA or via trade, but the draft is an important piece of that as well.

Bey is not a sniper at all. If you try to cast him into that roll, you will be disappointed.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#562 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:26 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:
snowman wrote:
That is a perfect role for Saddiq Bey, a 45% 3 pt shooter on over 5 attempts per game. 6'8 215, same size, but a bit more muscular as Tatum. I've seem so many names brought up in this thread, followed by "if he can just develop his shot" or "if he can just hit his 3's"
I am so tired of shooting guards and small forwards being drafted that can't shoot the friggin' ball. Let's draft someone that already has a NBA skill in shooting the ball. This guy is not a 3 pt threat, this guy actually makes them. This is who we need at 14.

I largely agree with this. We are a team that shoots TONS of 3s, yet we don't actually have any snipers. All of our best outside shooters are streaky at best. And that's why we often go into huge offensive slumps in games and blow 15, 20 point leads.

Having some players that ALREADY are excellent shooters and don't need to BECOME good shooters is an important need in this offseason.

I'd love for that to be filled in FA or via trade, but the draft is an important piece of that as well.

Bey is not a sniper at all. If you try to cast him into that roll, you will be disappointed.

Let's not discount Hali in this role. Haliburton was one of the best shooters and most efficient players in college basketball, including 99 percentile on catch and shoot jumpers.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#563 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:59 pm

Danny.

Can you hear me?

Get us Haliburton and Wiseman in this draft. I was really high on Okongwu due to him most likely being cheaper. But screw it.

Get us Hali and Wiseman. Keep Smart Brown and Tatum.

Thank you.
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 360

Post#564 » by RodyTur10 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:20 pm

100proof wrote:Danny.

Can you hear me?

Get us Haliburton and Wiseman in this draft. I was really high on Okongwu due to him most likely being cheaper. But screw it.

Thank you.

I think Wiseman wouldn't play more than 10/15 minutes a game under Stevens in his rookie season.
Everytime he gets beat in the pick-and-roll or misses a rotation he will be yanked and Grant or Theis will be put back in.
The available extra minutes will go to Tatum, Brown, Smart and a back-up point guard.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#565 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:

Can you hear me?

Thank you.

I think Wiseman wouldn't play more than 10/15 minutes a game under Stevens in his rookie season.
Everytime he gets beat in the pick-and-roll or misses a rotation he will be yanked and Grant or Theis will be put back in.
The available extra minutes will go to Tatum, Brown, Smart and a back-up point guard.

Yeah he certainly wouldn't get any more minutes than Timelord in the short-term. Very similar players actually Wiseman just has a few more inches on him. Same wingspan. Timelord is more explosive.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#566 » by snowman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:39 pm

I don't care if all Saddiq Bey can hit in his first year is wide open 3's. With all the doubling on Tatum, and Kemba, who do you think will be seeing wide open 3's. Most of Brown and Smart's 3 point shots were wide open. I'll take that with Bey, and go from there. In our offense, ball movement creates open looks. We just need someone whose skill set is hitting that shot when it presents itself. I would rather have a player that hits at 45% on open shots, than one that hits on 25% of contested shots. Also, looking at his highlights (yes I know, they are highlights for a reason) many of his shots were contested.
100proof
Starter

Post#567 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:06 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:

Can you hear me?

Thank you.

I would assume that if Danny is looking to trade up to get him, there will be a firm understanding with Brad that Wiseman plays through some of those gaffs. Just like smart always has with those ill advised 3pointers.
100proof
Starter

Post#568 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:09 pm

JHTruth wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:

Can you hear me?

Thank you.

Yeah he certainly wouldn't get any more minutes than Timelord in the short-term. Very similar players actually Wiseman just has a few more inches on him. Same wingspan. Timelord is more explosive.

I like Timelord as much as the next guy, but Wiseman is more explosive, is taller, is stronger, slightly longer winspan, taller standing reach and has much more to build off of.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#569 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:09 pm

100proof wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:

I like Timelord as much as the next guy, but Wiseman is more explosive, is taller, is stronger, slightly longer winspan, taller standing reach and has much more to build off of.

Nah. Standing reach about the same. 9'4" for Rob and 9'3.5" for Wiseman. Wiseman 34" max vert and Rob 40". Rob is more athletic and explosive with similar reach. No need to trade up for basically the same player effectively on the court..
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#570 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:12 pm

100proof wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:

Can you hear me?

Thank you.

I would assume that if Danny is looking to trade up to get him, there will be a firm understanding with Brad that Wiseman plays through some of those gaffs. Just like smart always has with those ill advised 3pointers.

I haven't heard a single person connect Wiseman to the Celtics. Or Okongwu for that matter. Celtics aren't looking for bigs in the first round it seems anyway
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,954

Post#571 » by leper-con » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:22 pm

I don't think we are adding a rookie. Look for vet bigs. We are contending not developing.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#572 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 pm

100proof wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:

Can you hear me?

Thank you.

You're talking about an essentially straight-from-HS player in terms of his development. He played 3 college games. He's going to be extremely raw.

NBAdraft.net

"While he looked incredibly strong in his first few games, the suspension followed by the decision to shut it down leaves scouts and NBA decision makers with a lot less to work with and the question of just how much his game may have tapered off had he played the entire season … He had a reputation in high school of having a motor that ran hot and cold and there were some questions that many wanted to see answered with a full season of intense play … Wiseman showed glimpses in limited action, but he also showed that he is pretty raw in his skill set and overall basketball IQ at the moment … While he is a potentially game-changing defender, he also seems to be a bit jumpy looking to send shots into the stands, and prone to fakes that lead to fouls or compromises the team’s defensive balance on the court"

He wouldn't be playable much at first. At least Rob has been in the system a couple years..
100proof
Starter

Post#573 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:29 pm

JHTruth wrote:
100proof wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:

You're talking about an essentially straight-from-HS player in terms of his development. He played 3 college games. He's going to be extremely raw.

NBAdraft.net

"While he looked incredibly strong in his first few games, the suspension followed by the decision to shut it down leaves scouts and NBA decision makers with a lot less to work with and the question of just how much his game may have tapered off had he played the entire season … He had a reputation in high school of having a motor that ran hot and cold and there were some questions that many wanted to see answered with a full season of intense play … Wiseman showed glimpses in limited action, but he also showed that he is pretty raw in his skill set and overall basketball IQ at the moment … While he is a potentially game-changing defender, he also seems to be a bit jumpy looking to send shots into the stands, and prone to fakes that lead to fouls or compromises the team’s defensive balance on the court"

He wouldn't be playable much at first. At least Rob has been in the system a couple years..

I disagree.

Wiseman is already more talented at everything that Robert is
And Wiseman is healthy.

If I thought for 1 second that Timelord would be alowed to start, make mistakes and could stay healthy for an entire year then I might change my mind. I think Defensively they can have similar ceiling, but offensively, Wiseman has much more to work with. Has excellent form on his shot.

He is like Chris Bosh built like Hassan Whiteside.

Here is what Pierce says too:

https://247sports.com/Article/James-Wiseman-interview-NBA-Draft-Paul-Pierce-makes-strong-statement-Boston-Celtics-144109997/

“If you pass up on this guy, the GM who passes on him won't be around very long,” Pierce said. “You're talking about a physical specimen. He's ready for the NBA right now. He reminds me a lot of Chris Bosh, Anthony Davis, Kevin Garnett. He's athletic. He has shooting touch. He has skill. If this kid is not the No. 1 pick, some guy is going to be looking for a job.”
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#574 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:34 pm

leper-con wrote:I don't think we are adding a rookie. Look for vet bigs. We are contending not developing.

Yeah Celtics under Brad have essentially rolled out mediocre vet bigs at C his entire tenure.

Theis
Baynes
Zeller
Amir Johnson
KO

Etc. I guess if you count Al as a C he is the only really above average player they've had at the spot. Brad struggles to play Rob, one of the most effective young Cs per minute in the League.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#575 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:36 pm

100proof wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
100proof wrote:

NBAdraft.net

I disagree.

And Wiseman is healthy.

If I thought for 1 second that Timelord would be alowed to start, make mistakes and could stay healthy for an entire year then I might change my mind. I think Defensively they can have similar ceiling, but offensively, Wiseman has much more to work with. Has excellent form on his shot.

https://247sports.com/Article/James-Wiseman-interview-NBA-Draft-Paul-Pierce-makes-strong-statement-Boston-Celtics-144109997/

“If you pass up on this guy, the GM who passes on him won't be around very long,” Pierce said. “You're talking about a physical specimen. He's ready for the NBA right now. He reminds me a lot of Chris Bosh, Anthony Davis, Kevin Garnett. He's athletic. He has shooting touch. He has skill. If this kid is not the No. 1 pick, some guy is going to be looking for a job.”

Yeah but Paul isn't the coach of the Celtics. Doesn't really matter what he thinks lol.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#576 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:38 pm

100proof wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
100proof wrote:

NBAdraft.net

I disagree.

And Wiseman is healthy.

Come on man. Workouts in an empty gym? I mean I like him as a prospect but we don't really know what kind of player he is really? Rob can hit threes in warmups I've watched him pre-game several times..
leper-con
General Manager

Post#577 » by leper-con » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:39 pm

JHTruth wrote:
leper-con wrote:I don't think we are adding a rookie. Look for vet bigs. We are contending not developing.

Yeah Celtics under Brad have essentially rolled out mediocre vet bigs at C his entire tenure.

Theis
Baynes
Zeller
Amir Johnson
KO

Etc. I guess if you count Al as a C he is the only really above average player they've had at the spot. Brad struggles to play Rob, one of the most effective young Cs per minute in the League.

BoB athletically is fantastic and he makes up for a lot of poor fundamental rotations with sheer athleticism. But he is often out of position, he doesn't body up on defense the way the other Williams did. He struggles guarding quicker players in space and often goes under the screen. HE has the skillset but he just isn't doing it. That's the bottom line. i'll add that I love what he brings but I can see why he gets yanked in and out of the line up. When everyone is moving on a string and he is doing his own thing it breaks down the defense,
100proof
Starter

Post#578 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:41 pm

JHTruth wrote:
100proof wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

NBAdraft.net

I disagree.

And Wiseman is healthy.

Come on man. Workouts in an empty gym? I mean I like him as a prospect but we don't really know what kind of player he is really? Rob can hit threes in warmups I've watched him pre-game several times..

Rob has 3 years and 2 of NBA practice, he should be able to hit them by now. But coming into the league he sure as heck couldnt.
Rob also does not have the ability to handle the ball like Wiseman does
Rob also does not have the ability to post up that Wiseman does.

James is 10/10 times a better higher floor higher ceiling player than Timelord
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#579 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:45 pm

leper-con wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Theis
Baynes
Zeller
Amir Johnson
KO

BoB athletically is fantastic and he makes up for a lot of poor fundamental rotations with sheer athleticism. But he is often out of position, he doesn't body up on defense the way the other Williams did. He struggles guarding quicker players in space and often goes under the screen. HE has the skillset but he just isn't doing it. That's the bottom line. i'll add that I love what he brings but I can see why he gets yanked in and out of the line up. When everyone is moving on a string and he is doing his own thing it breaks down the defense,

Going under the screen is the Celtics designed defense or drop coverage. Plenty of teams use it including the Bucks, one of the best, if not the best defensive team in the league.

The four starters with Rob had a better defensive rating with Rob than Theis this playoffs.
leper-con
General Manager

Post#580 » by leper-con » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:55 pm

JHTruth wrote:
leper-con wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Theis
Baynes
Zeller
Amir Johnson
KO

Going under the screen is the Celtics designed defense or drop coverage. Plenty of teams use it including the Bucks, one of the best, if not the best defensive team in the league.

The four starters with Rob had a better defensive rating with Rob than Theis this playoffs.

To my eye test Theis was/is the better overall defender. Bob has more talent than Theis but he needs to improve. The job as currently is his to lose in my opinion.

Return to Boston Celtics