NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Re: NBA 2020 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#321 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Pokuveski would have to be near the top of my list of potential draft busts this year.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#322 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Catchall wrote:If Poku, Tyrell Terry or RJ Hampton slip to #23, I think the Jazz will take one of them. Slim chance that Maxey falls as well.

Otherwise, I think the Jazz will look at McDaniels and Green. I'd say Maledon too, but I think his lack of burst could hold him back.

Would you take Maledon over Kira Lewis? Over Green?

Personally, I don't get the Poku or Tyrell Terry potential picks.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#323 » by Catchall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:20 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Pokuveski would have to be near the top of my list of potential draft busts this year.

He could underwhelm, but I don't think he busts. I think he's Keith Van Horn at age 18.

He's projectable as a shooter, passer and rim protector at the 4. His ability to handle, play downhill and create with the ball gives him an edge to me.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#324 » by Catchall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Catchall wrote:If Poku, Tyrell Terry or RJ Hampton slip to #23, I think the Jazz will take one of them. Slim chance that Maxey falls as well.

Otherwise, I think the Jazz will look at McDaniels and Green. I'd say Maledon too, but I think his lack of burst could hold him back.

Would you take Maledon over Kira Lewis? Over Green?

Personally, I don't get the Poku or Tyrell Terry potential picks.

I would take Kira Lewis Jr. over Maledon.
I would probably take Maledon over Josh Green personally, but could see the Jazz take either.

Poku and Terry both have the potential to be special players.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#325 » by Catchall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:27 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Tyler Bey? Good size for a 3D wing and could even play small ball 4. I love his defense, and his shot has promise.

He needs to transition to playing on the perimeter, but he has Trevor Ariza measurables and defensive potential if he can do it.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#326 » by Catchall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I don't understand (a) why people are excited about Maledon, but (b) specifically why we would want him here. That would be doubling down on adding a player at a completely unneeded position. We already have Mitchell and Conley, certainly no need for a point guard unless they have amazing upside - and Maledon doesn't strike me as that guy. I think he could be solid, but I also worry that his lack of burst is going to really hurt his nba upside (which I think a high end outcome for him is someone like Tomas Satoransky with a bit better shooting, or Delon Wright without the defense).

Conley will expire in a year and could be moved sooner than that. The Jazz need someone in the backcourt next to Mitchell who can play both on and off the ball on offense and switch on defense. That's where guys like Bolmaro, Maledon and Terry could fit. Ingles is best suited for a bench role at this stage of his career, so there's going to be a need for a secondary initiator.

I can see the Delon Wright comps for Maledon, or maybe Nickeil Alexander-Walker. I'm luke-warm on him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,280

Post#327 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I don't understand (a) why people are excited about Maledon, but (b) specifically why we would want him here. That would be doubling down on adding a player at a completely unneeded position. We already have Mitchell and Conley, certainly no need for a point guard unless they have amazing upside - and Maledon doesn't strike me as that guy. I think he could be solid, but I also worry that his lack of burst is going to really hurt his nba upside (which I think a high end outcome for him is someone like Tomas Satoransky with a bit better shooting, or Delon Wright without the defense).

Conley will expire in a year and could be moved sooner than that. The Jazz need someone in the backcourt next to Mitchell who can play both on and off the ball on offense and switch on defense. That's where guys like Bolmaro, Maledon and Terry could fit. Ingles is best suited for a bench role at this stage of his career, so there's going to be a need for a secondary initiator.

I can see the Delon Wright comps for Maledon, or maybe Nickeil Alexander-Walker. I'm luke-warm on him.

Maledon and Terry are terrible defenders, though, so there is not much switching that either can do. At least with Terry I can see the offense being so valuable that you disregard the defensive struggles. Riller, the offensive potential is so high that I don't mind playing him similarly to how we do Mitchell now (or how Miami uses Kendrick Nunn), but I just don't see Maledon being a useful player. I'm all for Bolmaro, but he isn't coming over for two seasons. That would perfectly line up with Ingles' contract expiring, so I wouldn't be surprised if we draft him in the first round and buy a couple of seconds.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#328 » by Catchall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:00 pm

If the Jazz wanted to trade Gobert in a deal that brought back the #1 or #2 pick in this draft, I bet they could probably pull it off.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259879/Wolves-Interested-In-Trading-Out-Of-First-Overall-Pick-For-Win-Now-Player
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#329 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:59 pm

I don't know anything about Maledon but I wouldn't say the PG isn't a position of need. Conley is expiring when next season ends, and DM does not get full-time PG duties whether we like it or not, at least up to this point. The Jazz have been trying for years to find a PG, from Hill, to Exum, to Rubio, to Conley, so PG looks to me like it is still a position of need, and a rookie PG will likely be a project anyway so it's not like we won't have a need once Conley expires (we have a need even when he's still on our roster).
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#330 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:57 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:I don't know anything about Maledon but I wouldn't say the PG isn't a position of need. Conley is expiring when next season ends, and DM does not get full-time PG duties whether we like it or not, at least up to this point. The Jazz have been trying for years to find a PG, from Hill, to Exum, to Rubio, to Conley, so PG looks to me like it is still a position of need, and a rookie PG will likely be a project anyway so it's not like we won't have a need once Conley expires (we have a need even when he's still on our roster).

I just don't think Snyder prefers a pure point guard, so I don't see Maledon ever being on our radar just from a stylistic standpoint, either. Cole Anthony, Grant Riller, Myles Powell, Payton Pritchard, etc. seem more like the kind of guys we'd run out at that position.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#331 » by KqWIN » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:58 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I don't know anything about Maledon but I wouldn't say the PG isn't a position of need. Conley is expiring when next season ends, and DM does not get full-time PG duties whether we like it or not, at least up to this point. The Jazz have been trying for years to find a PG, from Hill, to Exum, to Rubio, to Conley, so PG looks to me like it is still a position of need, and a rookie PG will likely be a project anyway so it's not like we won't have a need once Conley expires (we have a need even when he's still on our roster).

I just don't think Snyder prefers a pure point guard, so I don't see Maledon ever being on our radar just from a stylistic standpoint, either. Cole Anthony, Grant Riller, Myles Powell, Payton Pritchard, etc. seem more like the kind of guys we'd run out at that position.

His offense is designed to not have a pure PG. Its why George Hill was so successful. I don’t know where the obsession of having a PG next to Donovan came from, but we need to cut that out. We already have major issues with too many guys wanting the ball. We need players who don’t need/want to dribble for 10 seconds every time they touch it.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#332 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:46 pm

When we buy a second, if one of them is late, I am kind of intrigued by Paul Eboua.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#333 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:13 am

babyjax13 wrote:When we buy a second, if one of them is late, I am kind of intrigued by Paul Eboua.

Jazz had him in for a workout a year ago. That could be a factor with him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#334 » by zero24gravity » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:06 pm

I still like Jalen Smith at #23, especially if the Jazz bring Clarkson back. (If not, a wing scorer/defender is needed, but probably in FA, not the draft.) He's not perfect, but nobody at 23 is. Length, athleticism, can stretch the floor and protect the rim. The Jazz need length desperately, without losing floor spacing. Their D also has taken serious hits lately, and while not super in the open court, Smith at least adds interior D presence.

I'd like to say J.Brantley can fill in some of those gaps next year, but the Jazz coaching staff must see holes in his game that I'm missing, since, even when short handed this season, he couldn't get on the floor.

No to Carey. I don't see him being able to play with Gobert or supplant Bradley .... so why?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#335 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:28 pm

Not really a 2020 prospect, but here is video of Gobert vs Victor Wembanyama, who is considered to be the first overall pick in any draft he'll enter, probably 2022. We can see Gobert doing some dribbling, driving and 3pt shooting.

Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#336 » by stitches » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:39 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Not really a 2020 prospect, but here is video of Gobert vs Victor Wembanyama, who is considered to be the first overall pick in any draft he'll enter, probably 2022. We can see Gobert doing some dribbling, driving and 3pt shooting.

Probably not with Emoni Bates in the draft. But who knows... that's like... 2 pandemic years in the future. Thanks for the video though.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#337 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:28 am

Utah is in the board in the "NBA draft" subforum. It would be great to have some Utah fans voice their opinions on who the Jazz should pick.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Catchall
RealGM

Post#338 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:06 pm

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:When we buy a second, if one of them is late, I am kind of intrigued by Paul Eboua.

Jazz had him in for a workout a year ago. That could be a factor with him.

;t=173s
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#339 » by stitches » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

People are not discussing Maxey much. I remember watching him in the beginning of the season(seems ages ago) and he was one of the few players that looked like NBA player to me on that roster. What has happened with his stock? I haven't been too much into the draft this season. Isn't he an option for us?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#340 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:39 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

People are not discussing Maxey much. I remember watching him in the beginning of the season(seems ages ago) and he was one of the few players that looked like NBA player to me on that roster. What has happened with his stock? I haven't been too much into the draft this season. Isn't he an option for us?

I've read that the Knicks are high on Maxey, to the point of potentially trading down and targeting him.

Not sure I am interested in another short guard with the 23rd pick (Dotson).

Return to Utah Jazz