ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers Targets - Free Agent Class 2020

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Re: Lakers Targets - Free Agent Class 2020 

Post#281 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:07 am

KCP is this teams Dfish. Not great at anything, but is reliable in big games, strong self confidence, teammates love him, and has a toughness about him.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,537

Post#282 » by stan francisco » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:55 am

CP3 is 321 years old and can pull a hammy getting up off the bench any day. The money he needs completely eliminates all of our depth. I’d rather keep our team together. That ship sailed a while back for me.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
king_james_vers
Junior
And1: 743

Post#283 » by king_james_vers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:15 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:Question: Is CP3 worth that kind of money at this point in his career? I know the thunder are hoping to get multiple FRPs for him, but realistically that is way the hell more than he's worth. Another option would be to simply offer them KCP on a 1yr sign-and-trade. Sure KCP at 33M is a massive overpay, but he fits fine next to SGA-Schroeder and is 25% cheaper than CP3, who you shouldnt want to be paying 44M in 2021-22 unless you're contending for a title. Also, KCP could be used as salary balast in another deal during the season.

Yeah I definitely don't understand the CP3 talk.

He's going to be 36 next year, and most players not named LeBron or Malone fall off a cliff around that age. He's averaged only 66 games a year over the last 9 years, which is a concern to me (habitually injured, only going to get worse with age). Then, yeah, the obvious is how expensive he is.

I also am not sure how great of a fit he is next to LeBron. Paul's best asset is his BBIQ and his distribution, and you kind of neutralize that a bit with him on the floor at the same time as LeBron - there's only one basketball; Rondo looked great in the playoffs, but he was so bad in his first season here when he shared the floor with LeBron. Obviously Paul on the floor would make the Lakers better, I'm just saying he's not the optimal player next to AD/LeBron, he's not a player I would sell the farm for.

Now, on the other hand, I will say this... if they go with the "stars and scrubs" approach, it is the Lakers, so they're probably going to be able to attract some decent role players on the min. This was something I feel like the Cavs struggled with when LeBron was there, Cleveland isn't an attractive destination and I think they didn't have as many opportunities.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#284 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Clippers considering going after Rondo
-Stephen A.
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#285 » by cashflo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Clippers considering going after Rondo
-Stephen A.

That makes a lot sense since they do not have any playmakers on that team
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#286 » by DanishLakerFan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:22 pm

cashflo wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:Clippers considering going after Rondo
-Stephen A.

That makes a lot sense since they do not have any playmakers on that team

Or leadership. Or spines. Or balls. Or souls.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#287 » by slifersd » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:38 pm

Clippers going after Rondo is nothing but a tactic to drive up the price for us. Rondo is a player that needs a good atmosphere to thrive. If you expect him to be the leader of your team, you are in trouble. Remember, he is hardly the most likable guy in his prior stops. I can't imagine how much tension he can cause in a clippers locker room with playoff P and kawhi. If they are willing to offer him huge money, let him go, he is just as likely to be a locker room cancer than anything else.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#288 » by TylersLakers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:30 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:Eric Pincus put out an article today on Bleacher Report about possibly acquiring CP3. What would everyone think of that?

The deal would look like Kuzma, Green, Cook, Bradley, McGee, 1st rounder for Paul

I don't completely hate the idea. Paul's salary is insane however it allows us to maximize this window.

- Re-sign KCP using Bird Rights, 3 year deal starting at 10M.
- Re-sign Dwight Howard
- Markieff Morris to bi-annual exception
- MLE to Gallinari
- Sign Carmelo, Dudley, Cousins, Matthews to veteran minimum deals

G: Paul/Caruso/THT
G: KCP/Matthews/
F: LeBron/Gallinari/
F: Davis/Carmelo/Dudley
C: Howard/Cousins/Morris

Still have 2 more roster spots to fill. Someone like Kyle Korver? Jeff Teague? Paul Millsap? Harkless? There will be vets who go ring hunting.

We really do have a ton of options this summer to improve the roster.

Of course, if we had CP3 instead of Kuz/Green these playoffs, we would be in a good spot and i wouldn't necessarily be against such a deal, but we would struggle a lot to fill out the roster since we only would have the tax-payer MLE (6M).

In a nutshell i think i might do this deal if i knew that the front office had a good plan to round out the roster.

Question: Is CP3 worth that kind of money at this point in his career? I know the thunder are hoping to get multiple FRPs for him, but realistically that is way the hell more than he's worth. Another option would be to simply offer them KCP on a 1yr sign-and-trade. Sure KCP at 33M is a massive overpay, but he fits fine next to SGA-Schroeder and is 25% cheaper than CP3, who you shouldnt want to be paying 44M in 2021-22 unless you're contending for a title. Also, KCP could be used as salary balast in another deal during the season.

We're not a tax team so we'd have two exceptions. The non-taxpayer ($9-10M per season for 4 year contract) and the bi-annual exception (which is about 3.5 million).

Also, there's only 3-4 guys IMO who are going to get over that non-taxpayer MLE. If we're willing to offer a 4 year deal at the MLE, we'll have our pick of the litter. Ibaka, Gallo, Baynes, maybe Joe Harris, etc.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#289 » by zimpy27 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm

TylersLakers wrote:Eric Pincus put out an article today on Bleacher Report about possibly acquiring CP3. What would everyone think of that?

The deal would look like Kuzma, Green, Cook, Bradley, McGee, 1st rounder for Paul

I don't completely hate the idea. Paul's salary is insane however it allows us to maximize this window.

- Re-sign Dwight Howard
- MLE to Gallinari

Still have 2 more roster spots to fill. Someone like Kyle Korver? Jeff Teague? Paul Millsap? Harkless? There will be vets who go ring hunting.

Highly doubt Lakers get CP3, 76ers are in the driver's seat and if not them then Knicks.

Lakers would have to wait several months for players to be traded in that scenario.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,046

The Math In The Heart 

Post#290 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 pm

TylersLakers wrote:Eric Pincus put out an article today on Bleacher Report about possibly acquiring CP3. What would everyone think of that? We really do have a ton of options this summer to improve the roster.

The link in question: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913545-nba-execs-see-lebrons-influence-over-lakers-leading-to-a-chris-paul-trade

I've been meaning to talk about this since the post came out. The cost for acquiring Paul will be record breaking, Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta calling his contract the worst in NBA history. It would take some Olympic-level cap gymnastics to satisfy the salary cap math. But there are two reasons why the Lakers may pursue this trade: friendship and revenge.

We know the story that put the Lakers in a downward spiral while breathing life back into the Clippers thanks to David Stern and his veto. Six playoff visits, two division banners, but not a single conference finals visit. There were rumors of a falling out between Paul and the Clippers during the Doc Rivers run, stemming from his reluctance to trade for Carmelo Anthony because his son Austin would have been a trade chip, and the fear of upgrading the small forward spot because it would have meant giving up their no. 1 pick and savior Blake Griffin to do so.

LeBron James has always needed help to win titles, starting with going to the Heat with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, then returning to the Cavs with Kyrie Irving on board and Kevin Love en route. He comes to the Lakers, he needs Anthony Davis. Paul can help James, sure, but in this case it's Paul who needs help, and being his best friend and godfather, LeBron will happily oblige. That could be motivation for a repeat.

Furthermore, this could be an ultimate blow to the Clipper's psyche and morale. Being mocked for a second 3-1 collapse in 5 years is one thing; seeing the very player who made them relevant now on the Lakers is beyond salt in the wound: it's personal.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#291 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 pm

I just don't see a way how to eat CP3s contract
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#292 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:48 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Highly doubt Lakers get CP3, 76ers are in the driver's seat and if not them then Knicks.

Lakers would have to wait several months for players to be traded in that scenario.

Why would the Knicks even want him? At his age/price, he's the type of player for teams who are either already there or looking for a push over the top. The 76ers make total sense. The Knicks? Zero.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#293 » by zimpy27 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:53 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Highly doubt Lakers get CP3, 76ers are in the driver's seat and if not them then Knicks.

Why would the Knicks even want him? At his age/price, he's the type of player for teams who are either already there or looking for a push over the top. The 76ers make total sense. The Knicks? Zero.

For leadership and to appear competitive. CP3 is enough to add to that team to get them to a low playoff seed, he's that much of a floor raiser.

Knicks have learned (finally) that they need to appear competitive to attract free agents.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#294 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:03 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

For leadership and to appear competitive. CP3 is enough to add to that team to get them to a low playoff seed, he's that much of a floor raiser.

Knicks have learned (finally) that they need to appear competitive to attract free agents.

35-year-old Chris Paul is the answer to that question? I mean you're probably right; this is the Knicks we're talking about. But that makes zero sense to me.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#295 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:06 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

35-year-old Chris Paul is the answer to that question? I mean you're probably right; this is the Knicks we're talking about. But that makes zero sense to me.

Well he's the best answer given the assets they have to give up for him.

What better players are you getting for Randle, Portia and Ntilikina?
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#296 » by BEazy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:38 am

I don't see Rondo meshing well with Lue. If Lue wants to call the plays instead of Rondo that's going to be a problem. Rondo hated Rick Carlisle because he wouldn't let Rondo call plays. So I don't see that working out at all. Plus Rondo and Mr. Load Management...That's not going to sit well with Rondo either.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#297 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:17 am

LAKESHOW wrote:I just don't see a way how to eat CP3s contract

I think the actual best way is to re-sign KCP at 23m for 2 seasons (team option), wait a few months for him to be traded, add Kuzma, McGee, pick 28 player.

CP3, Green, LeBron, AD, Thompson
Rondo, Bradley, Caruso, Markieff, Cousins
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#298 » by tamaraw08 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:35 am

ScHoolBoy B wrote:I don't see Rondo meshing well with Lue. If Lue wants to call the plays instead of Rondo that's going to be a problem. Rondo hated Rick Carlisle because he wouldn't let Rondo call plays. So I don't see that working out at all. Plus Rondo and Mr. Load Management...That's not going to sit well with Rondo either.

Good point about Kawhi and even PG plus they have to use their 9 mil exception and lose key players like Harrell, Morris, Jackson.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#299 » by DanishLakerFan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:32 am

TylersLakers wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

- Re-sign Dwight Howard
- MLE to Gallinari

Of course, if we had CP3 instead of Kuz/Green these playoffs, we would be in a good spot and i wouldn't necessarily be against such a deal, but we would struggle a lot to fill out the roster since we only would have the tax-payer MLE (6M).

In a nutshell i think i might do this deal if i knew that the front office had a good plan to round out the roster.

Question: Is CP3 worth that kind of money at this point in his career? I know the thunder are hoping to get multiple FRPs for him, but realistically that is way the hell more than he's worth. Another option would be to simply offer them KCP on a 1yr sign-and-trade. Sure KCP at 33M is a massive overpay, but he fits fine next to SGA-Schroeder and is 25% cheaper than CP3, who you shouldnt want to be paying 44M in 2021-22 unless you're contending for a title. Also, KCP could be used as salary balast in another deal during the season.

We're not a tax team so we'd have two exceptions. The non-taxpayer ($9-10M per season for 4 year contract) and the bi-annual exception (which is about 3.5 million).

Also, there's only 3-4 guys IMO who are going to get over that non-taxpayer MLE. If we're willing to offer a 4 year deal at the MLE, we'll have our pick of the litter. Ibaka, Gallo, Baynes, maybe Joe Harris, etc.

Not sure we have full MLE and BAE in this situation since we would be pretty far over the salary cap.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#300 » by DanishLakerFan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 am

Actually, regarding this whole CP3-business. If they did use the MLE and the BAE and re-signed KCP using Bird rights and then did the deal, i guess it could be ok. We would be hard-capped and it would take us out of free agency in 2021 as well.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers