Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ree4erMadness
Senior
And1: 981

Re: Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report. 

Post#81 » by Ree4erMadness » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:37 pm

I pretty much called this in my thread "Clippers Chemistry Issues Are on Kawhi" - Cowherd
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1998495

Just gonna copy my post from there...

When the entire league basically stops while waiting to see what team you're going to, these other guys have to still be prepared for anything. So you finally pick the Clippers and you bring PG and everywhere you look, its portrayed as if these guys are coming to save the Clippers. If you're Lou Williams, Montrez Harrell, etc. no matter what you think of them as players, they busted their ass last year for this team. Other guys busted their ass. Hell Kawhi wouldn't even come to the Clippers unless he had a "2nd star" to come with him. You think these guys don't know that? They hear the same stuff we hear. That's not exactly showing your new teammates you have a lot of confidence in them. You have some personal pride. So ok, you just roll with it, we're gonna have a great year and win the title and everything will be fine. But if you've ever been in a relationship, a woman may let you get away saying all kinds of bs but wait until you guys really get into it over something, she's bringing up literally EVERYTHING you've ever said negatively to her whether you said it directly to her or she implied it. People don't forget and they often remember when things go wrong.

Except, your new saviors don't play all the time, one of your supposed saviors doesn't play with any urgency at all.

On most teams, the teams chemistry is mostly affected by the teams best player correct? If the teams best player is unhappy, things arent going to go well for that team.

Kawhi didn't have to worry about chemistry in San Antonio because they already had it and he wasn't the best player.
He didn't have to worry about it in Toronto because they had already had it.

Now he comes to the Clippers, a team with no winning history, never gone to a conference finals, and he basically expects to just waltz in, never say a word, practice when he wants to(even though he's in great shape, everybody else still has to practice and when things don't go right, stuff like this is going to start bothering people more), take over, and everybody else is just going to follow behind like little puppy dogs.

Obviously Kawhi himself didn't say any of that, but that's the situation.

He's the best player, but he doesn't seem to have ability to rally his teammates around him. He's just a really good individual player who can elevate a team that's already pretty good.

He's not Lebron. And I'm not a Lebron fan.

When you compare them, you really see its about more than just ability on the floor. Teammates rally around Lebron, want to play FOR Lebron. No matter what you think of Lebron.

Guys just play WITH Kawhi.

You can see it on the floor. Look at how uninspired Lou Will and Harrell played. I know they got destroyed on defense but they could have absolutely played better on that end. And even on the offensive end, they didn't play inspired. I don't buy that out of shape crap, these dudes are fine. They weren't hurt. Lou just wanted some wings(allegedly) and Montrez lost his grandmother and had to take time off. In the end, its their own fault, theyre professionals. But at the same time, their "saviors" are supposed to galvanize the team and have them ready to play in the playoffs. Last year they played team ball, pick and roll with Lou and Trezz, blah, blah, but now you're 2 stars are complete iso players. We know PG doesn't like to have any plays ran for him as he told Donovan in OKC and I saw that here with the Pacers so he just does his own thing. Its hard for those other guys to get in the flow. In the regular season, they were fine as you can see but in the playoffs, its a different story. That's also on Doc for not finding a way to get these guys involved.
"In America you'll never be free, middle fingers up **** the police. Damn can a nikka just breathe? - Nas - 2008
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,886

Re: Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report. 

Post#82 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:49 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
Los Manos wrote:Posted this on the raptors board, that in fairness it was reported that there were issues in the raptors locker room around January / February 2019 due to Kawhi's special treatment. Definite rumblings that the younger guys started voicing unrest over the disparity of treatment. And it was also reported that Kyle had to be reigned in by management when he started following Kawhi's lead regarding practice habits and general discipline that had begun to deteriorate mid-season.

Ultimately the difference is that management did step in and address the issue. It sounds like the Clippers did not. And that's the difference between a franchise with a chip and one that doesn't.

to be fair, Tor wasnt a franchise with a chip till after that season

Also, to be fair, Kawhi joined a 59-win team whose only fault was that they couldn't get by a guy named Lebron James. Toronto already had the requisite culture & chemistry .... they were just missing an elite bucket getter who didn't shrink in the moments of truth and a coach who could make proper adjustments.
Fadeaway_Jumper
Rookie
And1: 2,754

Post#83 » by Fadeaway_Jumper » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:58 pm

Don’t believe these stories

The media drums up lies and credits it to “anonymous sources” all the time to create a story and some drama. Bradley Beal talked about this on Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson Podcast all the Smoke. He said he media created a false narrative between him and John wall over who was the alpha on the team.

I never believe these gossip headlines until something material happens
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#84 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:
Los Manos wrote:Posted this on the raptors board, that in fairness it was reported that there were issues in the raptors locker room around January / February 2019 due to Kawhi's special treatment. Definite rumblings that the younger guys started voicing unrest over the disparity of treatment. And it was also reported that Kyle had to be reigned in by management when he started following Kawhi's lead regarding practice habits and general discipline that had begun to deteriorate mid-season.

Ultimately the difference is that management did step in and address the issue. It sounds like the Clippers did not. And that's the difference between a franchise with a chip and one that doesn't.

Also, to be fair, Kawhi joined a 59-win team whose only fault was that they couldn't get by a guy named Lebron James. Toronto already had the requisite culture & chemistry .... they were just missing an elite bucket getter who didn't shrink in the moments of truth and a coach who could make proper adjustments.
thats fine but his bolded comments wasnt true, Tor wasnt a franchise with a chip during Kawahi season, maybe that mgmt dealt with the playerss better but had they not won a chip these same stories wouldve surfaced out of Tor as well
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,255

Post#85 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Welcome to being relevant in the LA media market, Clippers.
These kinds of stories will pop up whenever things aren't going perfectly. No one loves some juicy drama like La La Land does.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#86 » by JellosJigglin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:19 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:

thats fine but his bolded comments wasnt true, Tor wasnt a franchise with a chip during Kawahi season, maybe that mgmt dealt with the playerss better but had they not won a chip these same stories wouldve surfaced out of Tor as well

I think his point was that both teams went through the same problem, but Toronto dealt with that problem better and walked away with a ring.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#87 » by Kilroy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:26 pm

jason bourne wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:Should have stayed in Toronto :nod:

My hottie girl is gone and said good-bye. She's in some other guy's arms now :lol:

Now, we know why he didn't join the Lakers. LeBron and AD would not have put up with load management.

It seems like it's simpler than that... Kawhi wasn't going anywhere he couldn't be the clear most important player on the team... He liked those perks too much.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#88 » by HMFFL » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Load management is going to be a more common thing in the future. Doc already said he intends to load manage Joel Embiid.
Look at Major League Baseball, the starting pitchers only pitch a few innings, we possibly won't ever see a 300 win pitcher again, and rarely a complete game. Not trying to go off topic by mentioning another sport but it's the best example I can give.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#89 » by Kilroy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Ree4erMadness wrote:I pretty much called this in my thread "Clippers Chemistry Issues Are on Kawhi" - Cowherd
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1998495

Just gonna copy my post from there...

When the entire league basically stops while waiting to see what team you're going to, these other guys have to still be prepared for anything. So you finally pick the Clippers and you bring PG and everywhere you look, its portrayed as if these guys are coming to save the Clippers. If you're Lou Williams, Montrez Harrell, etc. no matter what you think of them as players, they busted their ass last year for this team. Other guys busted their ass. Hell Kawhi wouldn't even come to the Clippers unless he had a "2nd star" to come with him. You think these guys don't know that? They hear the same stuff we hear. That's not exactly showing your new teammates you have a lot of confidence in them. You have some personal pride. So ok, you just roll with it, we're gonna have a great year and win the title and everything will be fine. But if you've ever been in a relationship, a woman may let you get away saying all kinds of bs but wait until you guys really get into it over something, she's bringing up literally EVERYTHING you've ever said negatively to her whether you said it directly to her or she implied it. People don't forget and they often remember when things go wrong.

Except, your new saviors don't play all the time, one of your supposed saviors doesn't play with any urgency at all.

On most teams, the teams chemistry is mostly affected by the teams best player correct? If the teams best player is unhappy, things arent going to go well for that team.

Kawhi didn't have to worry about chemistry in San Antonio because they already had it and he wasn't the best player.
He didn't have to worry about it in Toronto because they had already had it.

Now he comes to the Clippers, a team with no winning history, never gone to a conference finals, and he basically expects to just waltz in, never say a word, practice when he wants to(even though he's in great shape, everybody else still has to practice and when things don't go right, stuff like this is going to start bothering people more), take over, and everybody else is just going to follow behind like little puppy dogs.

Obviously Kawhi himself didn't say any of that, but that's the situation.

He's the best player, but he doesn't seem to have ability to rally his teammates around him. He's just a really good individual player who can elevate a team that's already pretty good.

He's not Lebron. And I'm not a Lebron fan.

When you compare them, you really see its about more than just ability on the floor. Teammates rally around Lebron, want to play FOR Lebron. No matter what you think of Lebron.

Guys just play WITH Kawhi.

You can see it on the floor. Look at how uninspired Lou Will and Harrell played. I know they got destroyed on defense but they could have absolutely played better on that end. And even on the offensive end, they didn't play inspired. I don't buy that out of shape crap, these dudes are fine. They weren't hurt. Lou just wanted some wings(allegedly) and Montrez lost his grandmother and had to take time off. In the end, its their own fault, theyre professionals. But at the same time, their "saviors" are supposed to galvanize the team and have them ready to play in the playoffs. Last year they played team ball, pick and roll with Lou and Trezz, blah, blah, but now you're 2 stars are complete iso players. We know PG doesn't like to have any plays ran for him as he told Donovan in OKC and I saw that here with the Pacers so he just does his own thing. Its hard for those other guys to get in the flow. In the regular season, they were fine as you can see but in the playoffs, its a different story. That's also on Doc for not finding a way to get these guys involved.

Yeah, coaches at this level don't create team chemistry... They can affect it, but that comes from the players and usually is initiated by the best player, which Kawhi wanted to be himself... So that's why he chose the Clips and chose Paul George as a wingman... (Lou Will Jokes incomming)
And Kawhi isn't as good as LeBron or MJ... So he has to be a better leader than them, like Butler was in Miami... But Kawhi's personality is basically Kemistry Kryptonite... And his form of load balancing only makes it worse, because on top of icing guys out, he's also just physically not there...

And PG is the worst possible 2nd option because he crawls up his own ass at times too...

Kawhi could be the greatest second option in the game if he realized he wasn't cut out to be the main guy on a team. He can carry the scoring load, but he's not the leader he needs to be.

Take a guy like Kobe who was also hard to play with... But for the opposite reason... EVERYBODY knew what he thought about your game... Kobe in his later years didn't practice as much also to save his body, although I never saw him just take games off, that I can remember, and I think it would have been big news...
But when that started happening he also figured out how to be a little more open and more personable with his team... He brought Pau in and together they built a culture and figured it out...
And another thing about Kobe... He worked on his game constantly... Every year, pretty much until his final season, he was adding some wrinkle to his game... He was putting in BBall work year round... Anyone seeing Kawhi do that?

Hell, the first game they played in the bubble I believe was against the Lakers, and I commented then that it looked to me that Kawhi hadn't done a single basketball related thing during the shutdown... He looked slow and awful.. They clearly weren't the same team in the bubble, and maybe it's like Dudley said... "Those dudes just didn't want to be there..."
But that's kind of a problem too... And it comes from Kawhi and PG....
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#90 » by Kilroy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:45 pm

HMFFL wrote:Load management is going to be a more common thing in the future. Doc already said he intends to load manage Joel Embiid.
Look at Major League Baseball, the starting pitchers only pitch a few innings, we possibly won't ever see a 300 win pitcher again, and rarely a complete game. Not trying to go off topic by mentioning another sport but it's the best example I can give.

Agreed, but there's got to be a better way to do it, right?

LeBron plays like 1/2 to 3/4 speed all season, doesn't participate in all the practices, but he's involved and is throwing parties and keeping guys together even during the shutdown and the Bubble...

Kobe in the later part of his career, didn't participate in many practices, but he played the games and set the bar for his players... And those teams sucked anyway... There was no expectation of the finals for them.

Kawhi being a cold fish AND not physically being there, is a problem... Especially on a team with Contender expectations.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#91 » by jason bourne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:50 pm

HMFFL wrote:Load management is going to be a more common thing in the future. Doc already said he intends to load manage Joel Embiid.

It may be more common for guys like Kawhi, but I doubt the top winners, both players and coaches, will do that. It may include owners, too, as I'm not going to go see a team where the top player usually takes a night off. I can see a frequently injured player get rested more. However, the game is about winning, so I think the winning teams won't do that.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#92 » by therealbig3 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:50 pm

Load management isn't a new thing, Pop started load managing Duncan 15 years ago.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#93 » by Buckets22 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:56 pm

I always laughed when people were putting that load managing, lucky, down syndrome fraud in the same list as Bird, Dr. J, LeBron
:king: King James Peoples' MVP 2020 :king:
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#94 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:06 pm

Kilroy wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:Should have stayed in Toronto :nod:

My hottie girl is gone and said good-bye. She's in some other guy's arms now :lol:

Now, we know why he didn't join the Lakers. LeBron and AD would not have put up with load management.

It seems like it's simpler than that... Kawhi wasn't going anywhere he couldn't be the clear most important player on the team... He liked those perks too much.

shoudlve demanded a private plane for his commute from SD to LA, thats crazy he would even do this sort of commute, why not just get a high end apt downtown LA during the season or ask Ballmer for a suite at the ritz lol
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Post#95 » by G R E Y » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Teen Girl Squad wrote:

I'm starting to see why Pop and Kawhi had such a messy divorce in SA. It also adds an interesting twist to Pop saying he had to "change his ways" in terms of accommodating LMA after what happened with Kawhi. If nothing else, it shows what a real unicorn Duncan was as a teammate and how much your best player buying in helps build a culture.

This is apples to oranges, though. LMA's issue was solely because of on-court, how his game was being used. He and Pop talked and that's what Pop adjusted to. It was never anything to do with giving or asking for preferential treatment.

Timmy was the undisputed GOAT as leader, but even after he stopped playing, we had Manu and Tony. Timmy has a space in the Spurs practice facility and was there all the time before he officially became an assistant. Point being, during and after Timmy, the team-first culture remains, and players who didn't or wouldn't fit were shipped out, going back to Rodman, then SJax, and eventually #2.

Just goes to show no player is bigger than the team culture (provided it's strong and healthy) and what happens when the wrong type of player is allowed to exert influence on it.

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#96 » by Mikistan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Buckets22 wrote:I always laughed when people were putting that load managing, lucky, down syndrome fraud in the same list as Bird, Dr. J, LeBron

Are you a doctor?

love how you changed your post from autism to down syndrome, keep going bro you're doing great :noway:
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#97 » by TheNewEra » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Kilroy wrote:

Agreed, but there's got to be a better way to do it, right?

LeBron plays like 1/2 to 3/4 speed all season, doesn't participate in all the practices, but he's involved and is throwing parties and keeping guys together even during the shutdown and the Bubble...

Kobe in the later part of his career, didn't participate in many practices, but he played the games and set the bar for his players... And those teams sucked anyway... There was no expectation of the finals for them.

Kawhi being a cold fish AND not physically being there, is a problem... Especially on a team with Contender expectations.

Did either guy have a chronic degenerative leg issue?
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#98 » by Buckets22 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Buckets22 wrote:I always laughed when people were putting that load managing, lucky, down syndrome fraud in the same list as Bird, Dr. J, LeBron

Are you a doctor?

love how you changed your post from autism to down syndrome, keep going bro you're doing great :noway:

Yea, I used autist but this is underlined as incorrect word, so I switched it :lol: :lol:
:king: King James Peoples' MVP 2020 :king:
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#99 » by Mikistan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Buckets22 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

Are you a doctor?

Yea, I used autist but this is underlined as incorrect word, so I switched it :lol: :lol:

try again
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#100 » by TheNewEra » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Reeko wrote:

I had never heard that about Kyle. That's kind of disappointing. I guess that's part of the benefits of having a strong organizational structure from the top on down, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Webster who reigned him in, he seems to understand how to talk to the players and it looks like Kyle respects him.

That's because it's incorrect. Kawhi's practice habits have always been regarded as exceptional. Kyle has never cared about practice. On Danny Green's podcast he shares a story with Kyle about how Nurse asked Danny and Kawhi to confront Kyle on his lax practice habits at the beginning of the season. Danny pointed out how awkward it was to be put on the spot.

Seems like a lot of luck played into it.

I believe Lou and Harrell being gone can fix things

Return to The General Board