ImageImage

Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP - The Contract discussions

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,920

Re: Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP 

Post#681 » by soxperry » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Giannis will never be Lebron because Giannis just doesnt have the basketball IQ that Lebron does. Who does, though?
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,800

Post#682 » by theFireBlanket » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:50 pm

soxperry wrote:Giannis will never be Lebron because Giannis just doesnt have the basketball IQ that Lebron does. Who does, though?

Student of the game, there's time. He started later than LeBron but his work ethic & commitment might be enough to catch up.

Not only that but LeBron has like 10 years of NBA experience more than Giannis does.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Chad34
RealGM
And1: 5,198

Post#683 » by Chad34 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:54 pm

soxperry wrote:Giannis will never be Lebron because Giannis just doesnt have the basketball IQ that Lebron does. Who does, though?

Lebron has never won or would've won anything without a second or third superstar beside him. Put Anthony Davis on the Bucks and Giannis would wipe the floor with Lebron James.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#684 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:31 am

Chad34 wrote:Lebron has never won or would've won anything without a second or third superstar beside him.

Noone has.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#685 » by Prez » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:48 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
Chad34 wrote:Lebron has never won or would've won anything without a second or third superstar beside him.

Noone has.

Hakeem, Dirk, Duncan all have
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#686 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:07 am

Prez wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:

Noone has.

I agree, but Chad obviously considers the Love and Kyrie types as superstars so I was going by that definition.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#687 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:43 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Feel like even without a huge upgrade we need to move Giannis off ball more regardless. Giving him less responsibility should be able to free his mind more and make less mistakes.

Agree. I'm sure a shakeup of some kind will happen. But if we generally run it back, spend a ton of time in regular season half court based around Giannis ball screens to Bled and Mid. Mid/Giannis seems rarely run but does seem to get good results, spend a ton of time improving on it and maybe Khris will improve on his issues like handle with tons of reps in regular season. Bled was a good PnR lead before he came here, run it and practice it. Who knows if it's good enough to get over the hump, but this has to be better than the current have Giannis barrel into 3 guys while no one moves around him.

Fundamentally this comes to a shift on half court offense. The spread squares is a starting block in transition but when it gets slowed need to adjust into normal ball screen and motion with Giannis being a mass gravity pull freeing everyone else up. Oh, and actually set the screens!!! Not stand there and then run away before contact.

I think most of us watchful observers know this but my biggest question these past two seasons has been "Is Bud the right coach for a superstar like Gianni?" He's a very good coach but does he also have what it takes to adjust and be able to look at these guys and tell them what they also need to do to expand their game so he can run more half-court stuff? I'm a bit worried that he's somewhat of a "D'Antoni East" type of coach.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
theFireBlanket
RealGM

Post#688 » by theFireBlanket » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:55 pm

We hear & see so much BS. I don't think Giannis is leaving Milwaukee, *unless his wife wants to. He seems pretty happy with his teammates & Bud. Then he got injured in the playoffs while they were bounced. Course he's not going to be happy with that part.

He's still the guy that came here 7 years ago, when he's joking around & having fun. I don't see that Giannis leaving Milwaukee because sports media moguls tells him it's the only way to be great & recognized.

SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,788

Post#689 » by SirChurros » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:46 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:We hear & see so much BS. I don't think Giannis is leaving Milwaukee, *unless his wife wants to. He seems pretty happy with his teammates & Bud. Then he got injured in the playoffs while they were bounced. Course he's not going to be happy with that part.

He's still the guy that came here 7 years ago, when he's joking around & having fun. I don't see that Giannis leaving Milwaukee because sports media moguls tells him it's the only way to be great & recognized.

I think it's a difficult situation to gauge.

I'm sure Giannis is genuine when it comes to the loyalty and gratitude towards the organization he has talked about since coming here. That said, it's not fun to lose. Eventually guys as competitive as Giannis want to win titles. If the organization can't put a better squad around him, eventually that competitive drive is going to outweigh any loyalty and gratitude.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#690 » by raferfenix » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 pm

Option 1: Sign a supermax extension

There is no more impactful decision this fall than whether the reigning two-time MVP will choose to sign the five-year extension he will be offered at the start of free agency by the Milwaukee Bucks. That would cement the Bucks as title contenders well into the 2020s.

But it would also alter the plans of the teams hoping to lure Giannis Antetokounmpo away. The Toronto Raptors won't be as scared by an offer to unrestricted free-agent point guard Fred VanVleet that could damage their cap sheet. And the Miami Heat and Dallas Mavericks could look to bolster their rosters now with long-term money that previously would have been unpalatable.

Don't expect an immediate spending spree if Antetokounmpo re-signs -- the 2021 class will still have star power, and the league is carefully navigating pandemic finances -- but his potential availability will keep some teams in wait-and-see mode until he signs his next contract.

Option 2: Hold off on a decision until 2021 free agency

Multiple sources have emphatically said Milwaukee will not look to trade Antetokounmpo if he passes on the extension. Instead, the Bucks will try to improve their roster and use the next year to show Antetokounmpo why he should stay.

Waiting would give Antetokounmpo maximum leverage over Milwaukee over the next 12 months. If the Bucks are willing to add to their payroll to improve the team -- something ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski has reported they are -- Milwaukee could chase a significant upgrade in trades (despite being short on prime assets).

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30127108/nba-free-agency-people-power-make-big-moves
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#691 » by emunney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:53 pm

raferfenix wrote:
Option 1: Sign a supermax extension

There is no more impactful decision this fall than whether the reigning two-time MVP will choose to sign the five-year extension he will be offered at the start of free agency by the Milwaukee Bucks. That would cement the Bucks as title contenders well into the 2020s.

But it would also alter the plans of the teams hoping to lure Giannis Antetokounmpo away. The Toronto Raptors won't be as scared by an offer to unrestricted free-agent point guard Fred VanVleet that could damage their cap sheet. And the Miami Heat and Dallas Mavericks could look to bolster their rosters now with long-term money that previously would have been unpalatable.

Don't expect an immediate spending spree if Antetokounmpo re-signs -- the 2021 class will still have star power, and the league is carefully navigating pandemic finances -- but his potential availability will keep some teams in wait-and-see mode until he signs his next contract.

Option 2: Hold off on a decision until 2021 free agency

Multiple sources have emphatically said Milwaukee will not look to trade Antetokounmpo if he passes on the extension. Instead, the Bucks will try to improve their roster and use the next year to show Antetokounmpo why he should stay.

Waiting would give Antetokounmpo maximum leverage over Milwaukee over the next 12 months. If the Bucks are willing to add to their payroll to improve the team -- something ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski has reported they are -- Milwaukee could chase a significant upgrade in trades (despite being short on prime assets).

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30127108/nba-free-agency-people-power-make-big-moves

Option 1 implies some good arguments for keeping any Giannis agreement under wraps and then having an aggressive offseason before he signs. Opportunity to get the jump on these teams waiting for Giannis.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Post#692 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:23 pm

Do Buck’s fans think Giannis is going to sign the extension before this season or will he wait and be unrestricted in 2021.
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#693 » by mke_design » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 pm

I still have seen nothing definitive coming from giannis that makes me believe he will jet.
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
theFireBlanket
RealGM

Post#694 » by theFireBlanket » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 pm

I like the theory that Giannis if not extended already discreetly agreed to stay & wants to help get other players by distracting foes with the illusion he may look elsewhere.

CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#695 » by CharityStripe34 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:20 pm

Something no one really mentions is the "compromise" option for Gianni where he signs a 3-year deal with an option on the third (2+1). He then has potentially 10 years with the Bucks but is still a FA in the middle of his prime if Milwaukee somehow can't build a title team around him. I could see that happening.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
emunney
RealGM

Post#696 » by emunney » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
Prez wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:Noone has.

I agree, but Chad obviously considers the Love and Kyrie types as superstars so I was going by that definition.

Peep the '79 Finals.
PG Graveyard
Head Coach
And1: 4,461

Post#697 » by PG Graveyard » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:50 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Something no one really mentions is the "compromise" option for Gianni where he signs a 3-year deal with an option on the third (2+1). He then has potentially 10 years with the Bucks but is still a FA in the middle of his prime if Milwaukee somehow can't build a title team around him. I could see that happening.

It still seems like potentially the most likely option too. I don't understand how you write an article and not at least mention this option.
emunney
RealGM

Post#698 » by emunney » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Feels too murky to make any predictions with the CBA unsettled. If something is done to assure max players that they're not going to get screwed by the revenue fluctuations, reasonably good chance he just signs the extension. If nothing happens on that front, not many players are going to sign long term and we're going to have mass chaos next offseason.
Rstuedes24
Pro Prospect
And1: 701

Post#699 » by Rstuedes24 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:46 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:I like the theory that Giannis if not extended already discreetly agreed to stay & wants to help get other players by distracting foes with the illusion he may look elsewhere.

Hoping deep down this is the case too. If it is, the value behind any future 1sts we send out is much higher because “Giannis might not be here”
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#700 » by Diggr14 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:09 pm

This is BS. LeBron has a decent BBIQ, but it isnt great or elite.

The game is hella easy when you are playing 8 on 5.

Giannis is a terrible passer, even though he gets a decent amount of assists. He is often late on passes, tries to make a high level of difficulty pass which often ends in turnovers, or when he kicks to the wing, often is not precise with hitting the shooters so they can catch and shoot in one motion..
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks