Ratings down across all sports,

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Re: Ratings down across all sports, 

Post#21 » by illuminati666 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
illuminati666 wrote:The WNBA benefitted from playing during the same time as the NBA, the co-promoting def had me paying a lot more attention to it. Maybe they should look into running the season over the same span, and maybe a little later so starved basketball fans right after the NBA finals got the WNBA finals.

The WNBA is in the Summer because practically all those women play oversees during normal NBA season. That's were most of them make their real money.

Damn thats interesting. Sucks bc I rly think this would be big for them
LouisLitt
Sixth Man
And1: 3,120

Post#22 » by LouisLitt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Dupp wrote:What the racists got to say about this?

I don't think "racists" are watching basketball.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#23 » by MotownMadness » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:38 pm

LouisLitt wrote:

Do you not understand how broad the term Racist is in 2020. "You dont agree with politics in sports, you're racist" it's such a watered down term used by little woke kids these days.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,903

Post#24 » by Woodsanity » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Weird that the finals took a bigger hit than the playoffs. This was true for the Stanley cup as well. This just shows the blm stuff didn't have much of an impact.

Stanley cup + US Open golf/tennis hit just as hard.

I am wondering why the WNBA actually increased in viewership, I guess its cause they had little viewership to begin with.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#25 » by meekrab » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:26 pm

I'm not an expert but isn't late summer / autumn typically the worst time for TV ratings of all kinds?
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#26 » by D.Brasco » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Weird that the finals took a bigger hit than the playoffs. This was true for the Stanley cup as well. This just shows the blm stuff didn't have much of an impact.

Stanley cup + US Open golf/tennis hit just as hard.

I am wondering why the WNBA actually increased in viewership, I guess its cause they had little viewership to begin with.

Wasn't the WNBA schedule closer in time frame to its normal schedule, it's pretty much a summer league

And yeah their ratings are probably always quite low so even a few more people watching can look like a big uptick.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#27 » by JellosJigglin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:13 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:

Do you not understand how broad the term Racist is in 2020. "You dont agree with politics in sports, you're racist" it's such a watered down term used by little woke kids these days.

I've been called racist for saying not all cops are bad. Nevermind that I have brown skin and have experienced what real racism feels like. The word "racism" used to hold a lot of weight but as you said, it's watered down now and only applies to people who don't agree with woke politics.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Huge oversupply of sports with so many options daily. Also, many restaurants, and bars are closed, or have limited hours. All of the televisions aren't being utilized.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#29 » by 13th Man » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:41 pm

There are obviously many factors that come into play, some bearing more weight more than others. In practically every poll that I've come across, political messaging was up there as one of the top reasons for viewers tuning out. To blindly dismiss this altogether is just irrational and shows partisanship imo.

Sure you can cite other reasons, that's fair but that doesn't mean that the existing factors suddenly disappear. What I see here often is; "It's because of X, it's because of Y", therefore it has nothing to do with politics. What kind of logic is this? You know that there could be multiple reasons that could cause a downturn in viewership right? Just because you've listed a couple of valid reasons doesn't mean that no other factors exist. That's just silly.

About the racist accusations, just lol. I don't even try to defend myself of these types of accusations anymore.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#30 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:15 pm

LouisLitt wrote:

Why’s that?
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#31 » by Village Idiot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 pm

bisme37 wrote:A Marist poll just came out on people's reasons for watching less sports. There are a number of factors and they vary by demographic.

A comparison to a similar Marist Poll conducted in March 2017 shows an overall decline in Americans who consider themselves fans of specific professional sports leagues. Self-described NFL fans fell from 67% at that time to 52% currently. The proportion of baseball fans fell from 51% in March 2017 to 37% now, and basketball fans fell seven points from 44% to 37%. NASCAR experienced a six point drop, 22% to 16% in its fan base.

That 15% point drop for the NFL is really dramatic. I am definitely one of those fans who dropped the sport. I cancelled my league pass subscription when the owners went gung-ho for backing Trump and haven't watched an entire game since. That's five hours of my Sunday's I got back from red-zone and saved me a lot of money. Now I only watch highlights occasionally on Youtube.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#32 » by Spanish_Laker » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Barely no one watches sports on the TV anymore. Most people are using streams on their computers, tablets or smartphones.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Jays4WS
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,415

Post#33 » by Jays4WS » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:Barely no one watches sports on the TV anymore. Most people are using streams on their computers, tablets or smartphones.

Exactly this. Or people have IPTV and they can’t track that stuff. Screw paying hundreds a month for cable when you can pay 12 dollars a month.
21 Hussle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,628

Post#34 » by 21 Hussle » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Different game
:meditate: Patience :meditate:
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,957

Post#35 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 pm

illuminati666 wrote:The WNBA benefitted from playing during the same time as the NBA, the co-promoting def had me paying a lot more attention to it. Maybe they should look into running the season over the same span, and maybe a little later so starved basketball fans right after the NBA finals got the WNBA finals.

This. Drop us into the WNBA finals right after the NBA finals. Run WNBA playoff games on off nights during the playoffs.
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#36 » by narmerguy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:17 pm

13th Man wrote:There are obviously many factors that come into play, some bearing more weight more than others. In practically every poll that I've come across, political messaging was up there as one of the top reasons for viewers tuning out. To blindly dismiss this altogether is just irrational and shows partisanship imo.

Sure you can cite other reasons, that's fair but that doesn't mean that the other existing factors suddenly disappear. What I see here often is; "It's because of X, it's because of Y", therefore it has nothing to do with politics. What kind of logic is this? You know that there could be multiple reasons that could cause a downturn in viewership right? Just because you've listed a couple of valid factors does not mean that no other factors exist. That's just silly.

About the racist accusations, just lol. I don't even try to defend myself of these types of accusations anymore.

It must really burn you that the league gained as many viewers as they lost due to their "politics". :roll:
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#37 » by D.Brasco » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:18 pm

21 Hussle wrote:
Read on Twitter

Different game

The NBA needs to find a better way to monetize digital streams. They still rely too much on cable and traditional ad revenue.

I'll be surprised if within 5 years the NBA doesn't have their own streaming service like the UFC and the WWE already have. Hire the TNT guys give them their own shows etc.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Post#38 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:24 pm

21 Hussle wrote:
Read on Twitter

Different game

What is the percentage of social media revenue for the NBA compared to the TV deal revenue? These numbers are great and all, but it doesnt do anything for their next TV deal. What many people are saying is the NBA is going to face a big change come the next TV deal if the numbers continue the way that they are.
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Post#39 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:47 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:

Agreed.
Also the term fascist... Used by the same woke kids who support viewpoints that basically backed fascism.. They have no idea about it. They've never read about it, nor have they visited the camps or museums. Nothing. Not their viewpoint; they'll immediately jump and label you. Then, when you turn out to be a person of colour, you're an Uncle Tom or a Gabacho or Saheb or whatever...
Woke idiots..

The results itself are obvious. The ratings will be down. There's nothing normal right now and any result of political messaging will only be seen after normalcy returns. Although I doubt there will be any political messaging next year if the Democrats come to power. All of America's problems will be magically solved. It's a fun watch for me and other internationals.
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#40 » by spacemonkey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:54 pm

How does online streaming (from legal sources) factor into these rating calculations?

Return to The General Board