ImageImageImageImageImage

Report: Some Clippers 'Bristled' at Kawhi Missing Games, Being Late for Flights

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Re: Report: Some Clippers 'Bristled' at Kawhi Missing Games, Being Late for Flights 

Post#41 » by Ackshun » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 pm

vincecarter55 wrote:
wtcantfw wrote:
vincecarter55 wrote:
Can someone explain the Fred/Kawhi beef? I haven't heard anything about this but all of a sudden I'm seeing mention of this sprinkled into different threads. I guess I'm out of the loop.

It was reported that some players were not happy with Kawhi's preferential treatment last year, maybe around January. Rumors were it was Freddy who was most vocal. Kawhi and Kyle even alluded to it during their ESPN interview right after we won.

I remember Kawhi and Kyle alluding to there being some issues in the locker room but I never saw it reported anywhere that Freddy was the most vocal. Never would have thought Freddy of all people would be one to speak up about that.

Its weird. I remember an interview mid season where FvV was like "great, take it off. I get to play now. Next man up". Obviously paraphrasing but he really didn't seem bothered that he would be able to get more PT.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Re: Report: Some Clippers 'Bristled' at Kawhi Missing Games, Being Late for Flights 

Post#42 » by Ado05 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Pretty sure they were alluding to Delon wrights trade request.
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#43 » by wtcantfw » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Adrian_05 wrote:Pretty sure they were alluding to Delon wrights trade request.

I hardly think a trade request from the 3rd string PG would be much of a distraction.
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#44 » by Double Bubble » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Spurs were right about this guy, pop don't mess around
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#45 » by Danny1616 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Double Bubble wrote:Spurs were right about this guy, pop don't mess around

Didn't Kawhi choose to leave the Spurs, requesting a trade?

It wasn't like the Spurs kicked him out.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,576

Post#46 » by mdenny » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:09 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:Kind of strange for a grown ass man to want to live in his hometown that badly lol. I've lived most of my life in Toronto but would gladly move somewhere if it meant advancing my career, especially if I only had to live there half the year. So it's strange to me why you wouldn't play on the team that gave you the best chance to win, regardless if it wasn't near San Diego.

It's actually very normal, especially as people get older.

It wasn't normal in any way.

I don't think it's ever happened in the modern era of pro sports. The MVP of a championship team leaves in free agency? Name another one.

It was unprecedented. Nothing normal about it at all.
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#47 » by Coach Smiley » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:47 pm

Kawhi is really losing the benefit of the doubt, the Spurs situation was horrible I ignored it because he came to to the Raptors but that was really messed up. We all know about uncle Dennis, proposing we gut our championship team so he'd stay, and now this. If it was any other superstar (ahem, LeBron) they'd be roasted, the public seems indifferent to Kawhi though.
Vaclac
Junior
And1: 178

Post#48 » by Vaclac » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Coach Smiley wrote:Kawhi is really losing the benefit of the doubt, the Spurs situation was horrible I ignored it because he came to to the Raptors but that was really messed up. We all know about uncle Dennis, proposing we gut our championship team so he'd stay, and now this. If it was any other superstar (ahem, LeBron) they'd be roasted, the public seems indifferent to Kawhi though.

To me, this is just the reality of the max contracts and the best players like Kawhi having a true market value way in excess of what they're allowed to be paid. It means guys can and do make other demands, like dictating trades or to sit out games, etc. The fact that he can't get paid anywhere near what he's worth means there's no cost to actions like this that would depress the value of other players whose true value is below the max.
sprewellchokes
Junior
And1: 346

Post#49 » by sprewellchokes » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm

jimmy keys wrote:
vincecarter55 wrote:
wtcantfw wrote:It was reported that some players were not happy with Kawhi's preferential treatment last year, maybe around January. Rumors were it was Freddy who was most vocal. Kawhi and Kyle even alluded to it during their ESPN interview right after we won.

I remember Kawhi and Kyle alluding to there being some issues in the locker room but I never saw it reported anywhere that Freddy was the most vocal. Never would have thought Freddy of all people would be one to speak up about that.

Fred has a huge ego bud. You're just figuring this out?
I love that about him. I’m still in shock that our former d league guy showed the two time mvp.Absolutely no respect on both evens in the finals.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#50 » by bballsparkin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:34 pm

mdenny wrote:It wasn't normal in any way.

I don't think it's ever happened in the modern era of pro sports. The MVP of a championship team leaves in free agency? Name another one.

Not normal. But not unexpected. Kawhi made it clear he was going to LA. That's the only reason the Spurs would ever trade a player like him. Winning a championship one would hope might have swayed him to stay to defend it. But alas, it did not.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,576

Post#51 » by mdenny » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:51 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
mdenny wrote:It wasn't normal in any way.

Not normal. But not unexpected. Kawhi made it clear he was going to LA. That's the only reason the Spurs would ever trade a player like him. Winning a championship one would hope might have swayed him to stay to defend it. But alas, it did not.

'Not normal' probably isn't sufficient. "It's never happened before" sounds more accurate to me.

Plus they announced it near midnight on a friday night I was working on SC. Ended up being at work til 530am.

I get that we should get over it but let's face it..... that night SUCKED for Toronto hoops fans.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#52 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:32 pm

Bring him back to Toronto
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#53 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 am

mdenny wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:Kind of strange for a grown ass man to want to live in his hometown that badly lol. I've lived most of my life in Toronto but would gladly move somewhere if it meant advancing my career, especially if I only had to live there half the year. So it's strange to me why you wouldn't play on the team that gave you the best chance to win, regardless if it wasn't near San Diego.

It's actually very normal, especially as people get older.

It wasn't normal in any way.

Huh? I said it’s normal for a grown ass man to want to live in his hometown.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
GetFamiliar
Junior
And1: 632

Post#54 » by GetFamiliar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:32 am

wtcantfw wrote:
vincecarter55 wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
Yeah Freddy almost ruined it because he had to play one 38 minute game though :lol: . Luckily we had enough vets to check him.

Can someone explain the Fred/Kawhi beef? I haven't heard anything about this but all of a sudden I'm seeing mention of this sprinkled into different threads. I guess I'm out of the loop.

It was reported that some players were not happy with Kawhi's preferential treatment last year, maybe around January. Rumors were it was Freddy who was most vocal. Kawhi and Kyle even alluded to it during their ESPN interview right after we won.

When Kawhi came back to Toronto for his ring Fred was the only player not to congratulate him. He was injured, but he just stood behind and watched. So something definitely went down between them.

KING KING KABAB KING
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#55 » by jimmy keys » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:50 am

sprewellchokes wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
vincecarter55 wrote:

Fred has a huge ego bud. You're just figuring this out?
I love that about him. I’m still in shock that our former d league guy showed the two time mvp.Absolutely no respect on both evens in the finals.

I don't. It's immature. He thinks he's better than he actually is, which bothers me. He needed to understand there's a pecking order. What was he complaining about playing more? I would've told him to stfu.
blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,803

Post#56 » by blastttOFF » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 am

San Diego is one the best places to live in the world. Close enough to LA but far enough from the glitz and glamour. People are generally friendly and nice weather is absolutely amazing all year round. House prices aren’t blown out of proportion so cost of living is super affordable. The beaches are also surf city.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#57 » by ash_k » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 am

I didnt know that thing about FVV and Kawhi! It makes me love FVV even more! time to pass the torch to make him the General of the team. (by trading Kyle).
Sitting now, playoffs done, I m still happy than he left after winning us the championship. I did not want to have to deal with LOAD-MANAGEMENT ever again.. DeMar was not the greatest, but he never missed a game.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#58 » by beanbag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:28 am

ash_k wrote:I didnt know that thing about FVV and Kawhi! It makes me love FVV even more! time to pass the torch to make him the General of the team. (by trading Kyle).
Sitting now, playoffs done, I m still happy than he left after winning us the championship. I did not want to have to deal with LOAD-MANAGEMENT ever again.. DeMar was not the greatest, but he never missed a game.

And you take Kawhi and his missing games over Derozan and his not missing games every day of the week, right?
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#59 » by ash_k » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:42 am

beanbag wrote:
ash_k wrote:I didnt know that thing about FVV and Kawhi! It makes me love FVV even more! time to pass the torch to make him the General of the team. (by trading Kyle).

And you take Kawhi and his missing games over Derozan and his not missing games every day of the week, right?

Now that I have that ring and LOB. Well, not that easy to answer. Load-management is just not acceptable.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#60 » by beanbag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:04 am

ash_k wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Now that I have that ring and LOB. Well, not that easy to answer. Load-management is just not acceptable.

It literally is acceptable if you want to maximize a Kawhi led team's chances of winning a title.

Dare I say it's necessary.

Return to Toronto Raptors