ImageImageImage

Offseason plan : Fixing this mess

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Re: Offseason plan : Fixing this mess 

Post#1161 » by Arsenal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:54 pm

fl311 wrote:Either Morey is playing extreme hardball or he is actually serious about taking time off.

From what i have heard, he has not given any indication that he wants another job right now

Even if he's interested, he's def gonna play hardball because of the way they did his boy Sam dirty.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#1162 » by Sixersftw » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:09 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
fl311 wrote:Either Morey is playing extreme hardball or he is actually serious about taking time off.

From what i have heard, he has not given any indication that he wants another job right now
Its Morey. He plays extreme hardball 24/7/365.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

We must be the fleecee before we can become the fleecer.
-Hinkie 2:12
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,704

Post#1163 » by the_process » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:37 pm

We don't know what agreement he came to with the Rockets to walk away. We also don't know if Silver has any informal restrictions on him.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#1164 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Pretty solid breakdown on the restrictions Moreys had to succeed under compared to other top Western Conference teams. Was even happening before Fertitta

According to the cap numbers at Spotrac, which go back to the 2010-11 season, the Rockets barely went over the luxury tax (just $3.65 million over) in their one season (2015-16) as a taxpayer. The Warriors spent $49.63 million in penalties over the last five seasons, while even the small-market Thunder spent $33.73 million. There was no excuse for Houston to not open up the checkbook. This is a franchise located in the fourth-biggest metro area in the U.S. that has had a superstar in the prime of his career. Alexander sat on his hands while Houston’s rivals went all in, counting on Morey’s ability to use advanced statistics to turn water into wine.

This refusal to spend money became farcical once Alexander sold the team to Tilman Fertitta in 2017. Fertitta spent so much money ($2.2 billion) to purchase the Rockets that he may not have had the liquidity to go into the red to build a title contender. Houston was a laughingstock around the league for the amount of juggling they had to do to stay under the tax. The best example came at the trade deadline last season, when Morey used a future first-round pick to shed the salaries of Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss. There was no basketball reason for the move. It was just done to cut costs. It’s not that Knight and Chriss would have helped the Rockets. But there were certainly a lot of better things that Morey could have used that pick for.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#1165 » by Lou_23 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#1166 » by stormi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:10 pm

what in the world
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,015

Post#1167 » by eyeatoma » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Wonder what this means for our chances to get Morey.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#1168 » by davesilver » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Someone tell me how to interpret this Peter (Spencer) Dinwiddie news
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1169 » by Arsenal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:14 pm

davesilver wrote:Someone tell me how to interpret this Peter (Spencer) Dinwiddie news

Clown show gonna clown show. Little Joshy continues to play fantasy basketball.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1170 » by eyeatoma » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:31 pm

HAHAHAH so much for getting anyone competent. Cohen remains, and in a big role as well.

Fawk this organization. I can't believe how well these rumors reel us in. Should have known better.

Read on Twitter
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#1171 » by stormi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:34 pm

\(★^∀^★)/
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1172 » by agiaco » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:56 pm

Arsenal wrote:
davesilver wrote:Someone tell me how to interpret this Peter (Spencer) Dinwiddie news

Can any of us honestly say it's a good or bad thing to hire Dinwiddie and Karangwa? I don't know a single thing about them. I also have no clue what Alex Rucker's role will be and frankly barely remember who he is.

Ned Cohen obviously has a big role, but I'm curious to know how input was given in some of the latest big decisions the SIxers made over the last couple years. Between Harris, Brand and Brown things have changed a bit. Morey is/was a pipe dream but I'm not going to rain on the parade without knowing much.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#1173 » by youngcrev » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:12 pm

eyeatoma wrote:HAHAHAH so much for getting anyone competent. Cohen remains, and in a big role as well.

Fawk this organization. I can't believe how well these rumors reel us in. Should have known better.

Read on Twitter

Man, Spike's done an amazing job of villainizing these execs. Cohen's a league plant sabotaging us from the inside over "the process" and Scott O'Neal sneaks into the room of young children at night to slowly eat their souls.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#1174 » by fl311 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 pm

Cohen won’t have much say. It’s just a title. Dinwiddie is #2 right now.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1175 » by eyeatoma » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 pm

fl311 wrote:Cohen won’t have much say. It’s just a title. Dinwiddie is #2 right now.
So no chance we get Morey now?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#1176 » by Phillyboy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:44 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
fl311 wrote:Cohen won’t have much say. It’s just a title. Dinwiddie is #2 right now.
So no chance we get Morey now?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Realistically probably not but I like your thinking. Based on only my observation as a fan I think the FO has been careful not to blame EB much for now. BB was the guy that had to go more than anyone IMO and that's done. To fire the GM as well would look desperate and would be embarrassing to basically admit their own hiring blundering. No,one at a time.

EB gets another year besides Morey will probably take the year to depressurize. But if this team makes more bad off season moves that contribute to yet another disappointing season and a man of Morey's caliber was ready and available, hell yes. Hand him over the keys.
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1177 » by Arsenal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:52 pm

agiaco wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Can any of us honestly say it's a good or bad thing to hire Dinwiddie and Karangwa? I don't know a single thing about them. I also have no clue what Alex Rucker's role will be and frankly barely remember who he is.

Ned Cohen obviously has a big role, but I'm curious to know how input was given in some of the latest big decisions the SIxers made over the last couple years. Between Harris, Brand and Brown things have changed a bit. Morey is/was a pipe dream but I'm not going to rain on the parade without knowing much.

You don't know their roles and who's in charge. That's the whole point. That lack of clarity is what allows little Joshy to continue to make basketball decisions that he has no business making. He's got several scapegoats lined up once again to catch a bullet in the coming years as his piss poor decisions continue running this franchise into the ground.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1178 » by agiaco » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:52 am

Arsenal wrote:
agiaco wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

You don't know their roles and who's in charge. That's the whole point. That lack of clarity is what allows little Joshy to continue to make basketball decisions that he has no business making. He's got several scapegoats lined up once again to catch a bullet in the coming years as his piss poor decisions continue running this franchise into the ground.

Well he does have a right to run his own team into the ground :lol: Jokes aside hopefully these new guys are decent and hungry to do well.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#1179 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:04 am

Ned f'ng Cohen. Can't see what's to gain by keeping this guy around.

Let go Josh. You still have plenty of fall guy depth. I can't imagine too many Ned Cohen fan clubs will lose their sh*t and start rioting if he's let go.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,704

Post#1180 » by the_process » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:46 am

Cohen, Rucker, and O'Neil all should be gone, whether or not they actually have any say or not. It really does seem like all they did was shuffle deck chairs.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers