ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 -- (8PM, Wed, Nov. 18, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,950

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#581 » by leper-con » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Oh, I also can't see Wiesemen starting for us in the Eastern conference finals.
If we someone how draft him, look for a vet to also be added at the center position.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#582 » by 31to6 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thanks for posting these — watched the Jalen Smith one and it was really good! Look forward to checking out more. For now: we should draft Jalen Smith :)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#583 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:28 pm

JHTruth wrote:
leper-con wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Yeah Celtics under Brad have essentially rolled out mediocre vet bigs at C his entire tenure.

Theis
Baynes
Zeller
Amir Johnson
KO

Etc. I guess if you count Al as a C he is the only really above average player they've had at the spot. Brad struggles to play Rob, one of the most effective young Cs per minute in the League.

BoB athletically is fantastic and he makes up for a lot of poor fundamental rotations with sheer athleticism. But he is often out of position, he doesn't body up on defense the way the other Williams did. He struggles guarding quicker players in space and often goes under the screen. HE has the skillset but he just isn't doing it. That's the bottom line. i'll add that I love what he brings but I can see why he gets yanked in and out of the line up. When everyone is moving on a string and he is doing his own thing it breaks down the defense,

Going under the screen is the Celtics designed defense or drop coverage. Plenty of teams use it including the Bucks, one of the best, if not the best defensive team in the league.

The four starters with Rob had a better defensive rating with Rob than Theis this playoffs.

Rob only played 11 minutes over 13 games. 149 mins total.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#584 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 pm

100proof wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
leper-con wrote:

BoB athletically is fantastic and he makes up for a lot of poor fundamental rotations with sheer athleticism. But he is often out of position, he doesn't body up on defense the way the other Williams did. He struggles guarding quicker players in space and often goes under the screen. HE has the skillset but he just isn't doing it. That's the bottom line. i'll add that I love what he brings but I can see why he gets yanked in and out of the line up. When everyone is moving on a string and he is doing his own thing it breaks down the defense,

Going under the screen is the Celtics designed defense or drop coverage. Plenty of teams use it including the Bucks, one of the best, if not the best defensive team in the league.

The four starters with Rob had a better defensive rating with Rob than Theis this playoffs.

Yeah? How many college minutes did Wiseman play last year?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#585 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 pm

JHTruth wrote:
100proof wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

2 or 3 games because he was suspended by the NCAA but I'm sure you knew that...

Awful comparison lol.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#586 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 pm

I do think if Okongwu or Wiseman falls to 10, Boston will try to move up to 10 from what I've heard.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#587 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
100proof wrote:

Awful comparison lol.

My point is Wiseman is completely unproven and to make pronouncements like he's some stud in the making is absurd. Hassan Whiteside is his comp. Whoop-dee-doo..
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#588 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:I do think if Okongwu or Wiseman falls to 10, Boston will try to move up to 10 from what I've heard.

Okongwu might. Wiseman won't in this draft.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#589 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:35 pm

JHTruth wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Awful comparison lol.

My point is Wiseman is completely unproven and to make pronouncements like he's some stud in the making is absurd. Hassan Whiteside is his comp. Whoop-dee-doo..

Whiteside is not at all his comp lol. The issue with Wiseman is that he floats too much on the perimeter and falls in love with the jumper, something Hassan doesn't do since he's incapable of shooting.

And defensively they aren't even remotely similar since Hassan just parks in the paint and can't defend a traffic cone in space.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#590 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:18 pm

JHTruth wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Awful comparison lol.

I’d comp him as Drummond with a jumper. Worse rebounder. If he’s in the right system, likely a better defender.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,312

Post#591 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:24 pm

JHTruth wrote:
100proof wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:
I think Wiseman wouldn't play more than 10/15 minutes a game under Stevens in his rookie season.
Everytime he gets beat in the pick-and-roll or misses a rotation he will be yanked and Grant or Theis will be put back in.
The available extra minutes will go to Tatum, Brown, Smart and a back-up point guard.

I would assume that if Danny is looking to trade up to get him, there will be a firm understanding with Brad that Wiseman plays through some of those gaffs. Just like smart always has with those ill advised 3pointers.

I haven't heard a single person connect Wiseman to the Celtics. Or Okongwu for that matter. Celtics aren't looking for bigs in the first round it seems anyway

Wiseman is one of the players Boston is interested in moving up for. They have talked to the Warriors and other teams. Given that it won't be Tatum or Jaylen going out, pretty unlikely that we get him. Spurs also in on him.

We also apparently have interest in Okongwu, Okoro, Vassell and Jalen Smith.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#592 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:25 pm

HondoFave wrote:Although been a fan since mid 60's - I am not a great evaluator of talent. Having said that - I saw Jalen Smith play a few times and he looks really good. Why not him at 14? Feedback will be appreciated.

Thx.

He probably won't be there and 14, but certainly a possibility.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#593 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:40 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
100proof wrote:

I would assume that if Danny is looking to trade up to get him, there will be a firm understanding with Brad that Wiseman plays through some of those gaffs. Just like smart always has with those ill advised 3pointers.

I haven't heard a single person connect Wiseman to the Celtics. Or Okongwu for that matter. Celtics aren't looking for bigs in the first round it seems anyway

Wiseman is one of the players Boston is interested in moving up for. They have talked to the Warriors and other teams. Given that it won't be Tatum or Jaylen going out, pretty unlikely that we get him. Spurs also in on him.

LOL. Everyone knows the Spurs want a big. I think they will try for Okongwu. And we "have interest" in every lottery pick? LOL
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#594 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:48 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

LOL. Everyone knows the Spurs want a big. I think they will try for Okongwu. And we "have interest" in every lottery pick? LOL

Depends on how far we can trade up, for what cost, and/or who slips. The fact that we are looking to consolidate assets and move up should be pretty intuitive to all. Nor should it being a highly dynamic draft with a bunch of comparable prospects. But to your point, yes, we definitely have significant interest in both Wiseman and Okongwu, and drafting a big in particular. That's not speculation.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#595 » by GoCeltics123 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:58 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Depends on how far we can trade up, for what cost, and/or who slips. The fact that we are looking to consolidate assets and move up should be pretty intuitive to all. Nor should it being a highly dynamic draft with a bunch of comparable prospects. But to your point, yes, we definitely have significant interest in both Wiseman and Okongwu, and drafting a big in particular. That's not speculation.

Btw, anyone who follows the current affairs board knows Cave's got sources for days (man broke that Trump had COVID an hour before it happened).

Kinda surprised we're not going for a PG but I sure hope Danny's got someone in mind for (likely) replacing Wanamaker (unless it's Tremont Waters, then all he has to do is re-sign Tremont to an NBA deal).

Also this makes me feel better that NBASupes is legit
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#596 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 am

Please tell me we aren't using Smart as trade bait to move up.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#597 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:11 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Please tell me we aren't using Smart as trade bait to move up.

Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#598 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:15 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Please tell me we aren't using Smart as trade bait to move up.

Danny is a junk peddler. Half the league probably doesn't even want to take his calls.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#599 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Danny is a junk peddler. Half the league probably doesn't even want to take his calls.

You mean we can’t get the 2nd pick for Romeo, RW3, and 26?
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#600 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 am

The Comedian wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

You mean we can’t get the 2nd pick for Romeo, RW3, and 26?

The fact that we can't get #1 for Semi...disgusting. League overvalues it's assets, lemme tell ya

/greenfont

Return to Boston Celtics