ImageImageImageImageImage

Landry Shamet's Regression

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Landry Shamet's Regression 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Oct 6, 2020 6:14 pm

What happened to this guy and how did he go from the big game three point shooter against GSW to the being next to a nothing in the 2020 Bubble Playoffs.

Is this coaching?
Or is this a deficiency in who this guy is?

The reason I find this interesting is because when he got here, everybody loved his mentality and he had a killer instinct to produce/ hit threes. To watch him in these playoffs treat the ball like a hot potato was disappointing.

I really really like Shamet. I wanted him to be in our starting lineup to begin the year IIRC.
But I think his trade value isn't much after these playoffs.
Nonetheless, can a new coach get more out of this kid?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,096

Re: Landry Shamet's Regression 

Post#2 » by LamarWho » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:23 pm

100% on Glenn Fraud Rivers. Shamet was playing his best basketball when he was in the starting lineup. After the Harkless/MM.Sr trade, he was back to the 2nd unit. We all know Shamet does not do well paring with Lou and Trez.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:32 pm

LamarWho wrote:100% on Glenn Fraud Rivers. Shamet was playing his best basketball when he was in the starting lineup. After the Harkless/MM.Sr trade, he was back to the 2nd unit. We all know Shamet does not do well paring with Lou and Trez.

Unfortunately, judging from the caliber of coaches we're interviewing, I wouldn't expect anything to change next season. Shamet still won't have any plays run for him or be put in any position to succeed.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#4 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Oct 6, 2020 9:08 pm

I think some of his regression had to do with his ankle injury and getting coronavirus. Hopefully he can stay healthy next season
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#5 » by NickP » Tue Oct 6, 2020 11:30 pm

LamarWho wrote:100% on Glenn Fraud Rivers. Shamet was playing his best basketball when he was in the starting lineup. After the Harkless/MM.Sr trade, he was back to the 2nd unit. We all know Shamet does not do well paring with Lou and Trez.

This!
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#6 » by TheNewEra » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:02 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I think some of his regression had to do with his ankle injury and getting coronavirus. Hopefully he can stay healthy next season

He was pretty bad and inconsistent all season. I don’t believe he fits with Lou will and one of them will have to go this offseason. Klaw and PG are not sliding down a spot just for Shamet to start so we either get a more traditional bench with Lou and Harrell gone or we trade Sham
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,223

Post#7 » by Clemenza » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:15 am

It was injuries and Doc had him at point in alot of these games. Last season when we got him he was in the shooting guard position and getting JJ Redick- coming off the screens for jumpers plays called for him.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#8 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:36 am

TheNewEra wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I think some of his regression had to do with his ankle injury and getting coronavirus. Hopefully he can stay healthy next season

He was pretty bad and inconsistent all season. I don’t believe he fits with Lou will and one of them will have to go this offseason. Klaw and PG are not sliding down a spot just for Shamet to start so we either get a more traditional bench with Lou and Harrell gone or we trade Sham

Lou Will and Harrell are poor defensively and I agree that one or both should go.

I think Shamet has a lot of potential. It is hard to find guys that have that type of shooting touch. I think he deserves another chance with the new staff to see how they use him.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#9 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Oct 7, 2020 6:53 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

Lou Will and Harrell are poor defensively and I agree that one or both should go.

I think Shamet has a lot of potential. It is hard to find guys that have that type of shooting touch. I think he deserves another chance with the new staff to see how they use him.

Even if Shamet finds his Shooting touch and be like Duncan Robinson, not enough. He'll always needs a lot of adjustments from coaching to stay on the floor to help the team during playoffs. As long as Shamet can't playmake&Rebound&defend or score in volume he'll only involve in 8 player playoff rotation in need of others to cover his shortcomings. The question is; would you like to put other 4 guy on the floor that pressure?

I wouldn't, and try to seek better value via trade while he's still in rookie contract. Our major hole is finding the lead guard and our assets to get that inexchange are limited. Just wanted to mention that.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#10 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Oct 7, 2020 4:02 pm

DieHardFan wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:

Even if Shamet finds his Shooting touch and be like Duncan Robinson, not enough. He'll always needs a lot of adjustments from coaching to stay on the floor to help the team during playoffs. As long as Shamet can't playmake&Rebound&defend or score in volume he'll only involve in 8 player playoff rotation in need of others to cover his shortcomings. The question is; would you like to put other 4 guy on the floor that pressure?

I wouldn't, and try to seek better value via trade while he's still in rookie contract. Our major hole is finding the lead guard and our assets to get that inexchange are limited. Just wanted to mention that.

I understand your point and I'm not saying he's untouchable- just that he has a skill that is hard to find- knock down perimeter shooting. He also isn't a terrible defender. He is about average. Yes, his play making is subpar though
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#11 » by NickP » Wed Oct 7, 2020 5:23 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Lou Will and Harrell are poor defensively and I agree that one or both should go.

I understand your point and I'm not saying he's untouchable- just that he has a skill that is hard to find- knock down perimeter shooting. He also isn't a terrible defender. He is about average. Yes, his play making is subpar though

He needs to get his confidence back. He passed up open or semi open shots. This means lack of team chemistry which should change with a new coach and philosophy.
Sham is an asset.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#12 » by SK21209 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 8:04 pm

There was a lot of talk last offseason about Shamet assuming more ballhandling responsibilities and playing some point guard but that never materialized. I want to see that this year. I'm not sure there's a starting-caliber, playoff-ready playmaking point guard available for us this season.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#13 » by TheNewEra » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:49 pm

Wonder if Lou is traded he was the only one to like posts about Doc
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#14 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:40 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Lou Will and Harrell are poor defensively and I agree that one or both should go.

I think he still has promise, and trade value as well. So certainly there's no reason to look to move on from him, but he's probably one of our better trade assets should there be a good deal/trade partner out there that gets us a lead playmaker.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#15 » by TucsonClip » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Difficult to continue to develop when you have an injury which saps your shooting, are asked to play off the ball, then play PG again like last season, then benched, then asked to play off the ball with the starters.

That is not the pathway towards competent player development.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#16 » by esqtvd » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:21 pm

TucsonClip wrote:Difficult to continue to develop when you have an injury which saps your shooting, are asked to play off the ball, then play PG again like last season, then benched, then asked to play off the ball with the starters.

This thread was started in October. Sham was already a mess; the blame game is not necessary here. The team was winning without him and tried to find a role to plug him into when he finally made it back but thinking he could be an NBA point guard was wishful thinking--as we see from the October posts above.

You chalk it up to numerous injuries all through the season [and a positive COVID test in the bubble!] and wipe the slate. Hit your shots, kid, and the rest will follow.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by TucsonClip » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Difficult to continue to develop when you have an injury which saps your shooting, are asked to play off the ball, then play PG again like last season, then benched, then asked to play off the ball with the starters.

This thread was started in October. Sham was already a mess; the blame game is not necessary here. The team was winning without him and tried to find a role to plug him into when he finally made it back but thinking he could be an NBA point guard was wishful thinking--as we see from the October posts above.

You chalk it up to numerous injuries all through the season [and a positive COVID test in the bubble!] and wipe the slate. Hit your shots, kid, and the rest will follow.

All im saying is give him a role, let him develop inside that role, and then expand from there on out. If you want him to develop as a PG, play him as a PG. If you want him to turn into JJ Redick, keep him in that role. He needs a foundation to build upon, as much as we all love guys who can play multiple positions. He needs a role to stick in the rotation.

- Shane Battier
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#18 » by nickhx2 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 pm

well said

playing under doc certainly didn't help him figure out who or what he was supposed to be as a player.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#19 » by esqtvd » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:22 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

All im saying is give him a role, let him develop inside that role, and then expand from there on out. If you want him to develop as a PG, play him as a PG. If you want him to turn into JJ Redick, keep him in that role. He needs a foundation to build upon, as much as we all love guys who can play multiple positions. He needs a role to stick in the rotation.

True. But if Shamet's not hitting his shots, he doesn't really bring much else. He played a little PG in college but that's a long way from playing it at the NBA level--and it appears that experiment failed.

Hey, he still hit 37% from distance--he wasn't a total washout, it's just that with his middling defense and inability to slash or get his own shot, like JJ he needs to be way over 40% on the 3-ball to get court time.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by TucsonClip » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:59 pm

esqtvd wrote:
True. But if Shamet's not hitting his shots, he doesn't really bring much else. He played a little PG in college but that's a long way from playing it at the NBA level--and it appears that experiment failed.

Hey, he still hit 37% from distance--he wasn't a total washout, it's just that with his middling defense and inability to slash or get his own shot, like JJ he needs to be way over 40% on the 3-ball to get court time.

Agreed, which is why he is still in prove it mode.

However, weve seen enough glimpses from him to know he can shoot sprinting off screens, has proven to be a good shooter spotting up, and his gravity and motion help unlock our offense when it bogs down into ISO ball. So lets make things easy for him. Build up his confidence and ask him to work on mastering a specific skill set before we begin to expand his role in other areas. Oh, and that means working his butt off to get better as a defender too.

- Shane Battier

Return to Los Angeles Clippers