Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

bluemj32
Rookie
And1: 927

Re: Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report. 

Post#121 » by bluemj32 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 pm

LesGrossman wrote:Kawhi isnt "lazy" or anything. He is still suffering from a severe injury and why would he burn all he has in the RS? Ironically the same people whining in here, found it totally acceptable that LeBron "cruised" on D throughout the whole RS to a degree that there are several lowlight videos out there evrery season. So one could ask, whats worse? Taking games off but showing up 100% for those you play, or playing almost all, but giving minimal effort on D, because only offensive effort shows in the boxscore? I find the whole outrage somewhat hypocritical.
Lol, first LeBron is 35 man and his milage is crazy. Several superstars in the past have preserved their energy.

Kawhi situation goes beyond the court, his crew and more are dictating how he's going to be used, who gets hired etc. If teams are allowing him to do this they can't be upset, but the other players definitely can.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using RealGM mobile app
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,171

Re: Report: Some of Kawhi teammates upset about Kawhi getting preferential treatment. Via bleacher report. 

Post#122 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:17 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Load management is going to be a more common thing in the future. Doc already said he intends to load manage Joel Embiid.
Look at Major League Baseball, the starting pitchers only pitch a few innings, we possibly won't ever see a 300 win pitcher again, and rarely a complete game. Not trying to go off topic by mentioning another sport but it's the best example I can give.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Agreed, but there's got to be a better way to do it, right?

LeBron plays like 1/2 to 3/4 speed all season, doesn't participate in all the practices, but he's involved and is throwing parties and keeping guys together even during the shutdown and the Bubble...

Kobe in the later part of his career, didn't participate in many practices, but he played the games and set the bar for his players... And those teams sucked anyway... There was no expectation of the finals for them.

Kawhi being a cold fish AND not physically being there, is a problem... Especially on a team with Contender expectations.

Did either guy have a chronic degenerative leg issue?

Go reread the thread; the reports back in Toronto from the players and now the reports in LA.

His teammates are pissed off because he’s getting preferential treatment and resting while they can’t. Don’t you think that if it was public knowledge that he had a degenerative issue, they’d be much more understanding? FVV said it, “Why is he resting?”

That lack of transparency is the kind of stuff that pisses teammates off, and I don’t blame them at all. I’ve been saying this for years now.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#123 » by Speedlot » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:20 pm

Ehh... Are you guys not familiar with what comes being the top player in the NBA?

Most top players are Divas. Even Lebron can throw his demands around. Kobe? Shaq, Jordan? They do w/e the f they want.

Remember what Butler did to Minny? He shat on all his teammates, including his young stars. People joked about it.. but now that he hah recency clout by winning 2 games in the finals. People commend him for it. Some people think he's better than Iverson already.

Leonard's title isn't recent enough apparently so people are already against him. This dude won a damn title carrying a team. He know what he's doing. He deserves that trust.

Jordan punched his teammates, went to gamble after a playoff loss. Shaq doesn't need to try hard and you still have to obey. Lebron, all I have to say is KLUTCHSPORTS.

Magic would **** on your house carpet and make you clean it up. That's what you have to take by playing with the best.

Don't know how we act surprised when Leonard was literally touted as the best player in the NBA. Ofc he gets what he wants. What don't these scrubs get? Kawhi and Giannis is the future of the league. Lebron won it this year sure.. but he got only a few years left.

Giannis and Kawhi controls the league for the next 10 years. Ship these scrubs out. Have some respect for the best.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,186

Post#124 » by D.Brasco » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Pablo Escobar wrote:Ballmer should trade Kawhi. Dude is damaged goods anyway.

Send him back to the raps for scraps.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#125 » by Topofthekey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Both sides are correct in this

Why shouldn't Kawhi be given preferential treatment? It's laughable that role players complain about stars getting preferential treatment. Earn a finals MVP or two, and then talk. If it were the sales department of a company, I'm sorry, but the person who pulls in the most sales for the company absolutely gets preferential treatment

At the same time, it's clearly detrimental to team chemistry when one player gets absolute control, to the extent of dictating how much he gets to play. Preferential treatments are one thing, but the player should be made aware that there are certain lines that he should not cross. Alienating the entire team by being a diva is one of them

At some point, the coach should have made a stand

If after repeated warnings Kawhi still couldn't show up on time to team flights, they should just leave without him, and issue him a DNP-CD
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#126 » by Soulyss » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:38 pm

I am not sure why this is shocking to anyone... There was a reason SAS punted him, knowing how good he was... if you can't fit in the Spurs culture it says something.
Mikey111690
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Post#127 » by Mikey111690 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:10 pm

To all the people bashing Lou, Beverly, and Harrell:

How would you feel if a guy at your job took days off whenever they wanted and felt they could show up whenever they wanted without any consequences? I guarantee you the reaction wouldn't be it's ok. You'd be furious that you're out there busting your ass while this **** dictates when he works and when he doesn't.

I don't like Lou, Beverly, or Harrell either but they have every right to complain. All that load managing and for what? A 2nd round playoff exit after being up 3-1. Leadership is key here and Kawhi has absolutely none of it.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,622

Post#128 » by PlatinumState » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:17 pm

Kawhi dont give an eff since he knows he gets paid and they dont wanna piss off their star so they gotta baby him regardless.

Speedlot wrote:Ehh... Are you guys not familiar with what comes being the top player in the NBA?

Most top players are Divas. Even Lebron can throw his demands around. Kobe? Shaq, Jordan? They do w/e the f they want.

Remember what Butler did to Minny? He shat on all his teammates, including his young stars. People joked about it.. but now that he hah recency clout by winning 2 games in the finals. People commend him for it. Some people think he's better than Iverson already.

Leonard's title isn't recent enough apparently so people are already against him. This dude won a damn title carrying a team. He know what he's doing. He deserves that trust.

Jordan punched his teammates, went to gamble after a playoff loss. Shaq doesn't need to try hard and you still have to obey. Lebron, all I have to say is KLUTCHSPORTS.

Magic would **** on your house carpet and make you clean it up. That's what you have to take by playing with the best.

Don't know how we act surprised when Leonard was literally touted as the best player in the NBA. Ofc he gets what he wants. What don't these scrubs get? Kawhi and Giannis is the future of the league. Lebron won it this year sure.. but he got only a few years left.

Giannis and Kawhi controls the league for the next 10 years. Ship these scrubs out. Have some respect for the best.

Really? Magic would do that? If I was his teammate and he did that in my house Id rub his face in it, damned if I ever get to play in the nba again
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#129 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:51 pm

man its gona get really crazy when he gets his 10yr vet max
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#130 » by Dupp » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:11 am

LesGrossman wrote:Kawhi isnt "lazy" or anything. He is still suffering from a severe injury and why would he burn all he has in the RS? Ironically the same people whining in here, found it totally acceptable that LeBron "cruised" on D throughout the whole RS to a degree that there are several lowlight videos out there evrery season. So one could ask, whats worse? Taking games off but showing up 100% for those you play, or playing almost all, but giving minimal effort on D, because only offensive effort shows in the boxscore? I find the whole outrage somewhat hypocritical.

Didn’t seem to show up 100% in the playoffs vs Denver :thinking:
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#131 » by MrBigShot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 am

bluemj32 wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:Role players getting mad that a 2x finals MVP and nba champion gets special treatment, oh boy. Kawhi's inability to carry a team in the RS might hinder his value slightly, but he makes up for it by being one of the best players in the world come playoff time. Virtually every superstar gets preferential treatment, if they wanna criticize him for something then it would be for having a terrible game 7.

And honestly Pat Bev is a major contender for biggest disparity between a player's actual talent and how talented they think they are. He's a decent rotation guard that's allowed to foul on almost every possession defensively, his opinion on how his team should be run doesn't exactly hold much weight.
From what we've all read and from what former starts have said this is not the norm. There's a reason why the fall out in San Antonio was bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using RealGM mobile app

Hey, Kawhi did the Spurs dirty and you wont find me disagreeing about that. It's not normal by any means but he's shown you can win while letting him do it. Kawhi's not an iron man like LeBron, Giannis, or Harden and he's got a significant injury history. If you play him like a normal star he'll just end up getting a major injury, its just one of his major downsides as a player.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#132 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:43 am

Godaddycurse wrote:Harrell wont be back and Lou will likely be traded.. problem solved.

If the problem leads to more shots for PG, i'm not sure how the problem is solved.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,473

Post#133 » by dc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:51 am

Just as an aside:

Dennis Rodman was also a tough guy for a coach to handle, not just because he was crazy, but because he was also expecting preferential day to day treatment for practicing. By the mid-90s, he was a guy in his mid-late 30s whose game revolved around hustle/energy. So he preferred not to do the regular practicing/scrimmaging of other players. He just wanted to do the bare minimum of practice and get some work in on the stationary bike to keep his cardio up to speed.

That's something Phil Jackson was able to manage, with obviously a lot of help from MJ and Scottie. It's unlikely Rodman at that stage of his career, with his craziness and unusual practice habits, could've been manageable in any other situation.

It's a tough situation for any coach to give preferential treatment to some guys as far as being able to sit out practices or games when a bunch of other guys are busting @ss on a daily basis.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#134 » by Ckay » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:54 am

Godaddycurse wrote:Harrell wont be back and Lou will likely be traded.. problem solved.

Read on Twitter
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#135 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:23 am

Ckay wrote:

Read on Twitter

trade him back to lakers, everyone happy :lol: 8-)
kbitboc
Pro Prospect
And1: 565

Post#136 » by kbitboc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:25 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Agreed, but there's got to be a better way to do it, right?

LeBron plays like 1/2 to 3/4 speed all season, doesn't participate in all the practices, but he's involved and is throwing parties and keeping guys together even during the shutdown and the Bubble...

Kobe in the later part of his career, didn't participate in many practices, but he played the games and set the bar for his players... And those teams sucked anyway... There was no expectation of the finals for them.

Kawhi being a cold fish AND not physically being there, is a problem... Especially on a team with Contender expectations.

Did either guy have a chronic degenerative leg issue?

Go reread the thread; the reports back in Toronto from the players and now the reports in LA.

His teammates are pissed off because he’s getting preferential treatment and resting while they can’t. Don’t you think that if it was public knowledge that he had a degenerative issue, they’d be much more understanding? FVV said it, “Why is he resting?”

That lack of transparency is the kind of stuff that pisses teammates off, and I don’t blame them at all. I’ve been saying this for years now.

Seems to me his teammates don't believe his injury is that serious.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#137 » by Danny1616 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:36 am

Mikey111690 wrote:To all the people bashing Lou, Beverly, and Harrell:

How would you feel if a guy at your job took days off whenever they wanted and felt they could show up whenever they wanted without any consequences? I guarantee you the reaction wouldn't be it's ok. You'd be furious that you're out there busting your ass while this **** dictates when he works and when he doesn't.

I don't like Lou, Beverly, or Harrell either but they have every right to complain. All that load managing and for what? A 2nd round playoff exit after being up 3-1. Leadership is key here and Kawhi has absolutely none of it.

If the guy was unbelievable at doing was he does and drastically increased the success of the company or whatever I was it, bringing in enormous profit then I would honestly stfu.

I don't think any company is going to complain about an employee taking days off if they produced more than anyone else and brought enormous profit to that business.

Also, Kawhi isn't taking time off because he necessarily wants to, he has a degenerative issue with his knee. You could see him slowing down when he plays too much. Raptors knew that coming in, and the Clippers knew that coming in. Why the **** are they acting surprised?
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#138 » by Baski » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:21 am

GREY 1769 wrote:People talking about these three Clips players getting shipped out are missing the bigger picture:

This is now four years and counting spanning three teams where increasing exemptions and demands by #2 and his group on and off the court have been issues. They were lucky to have been shielded by discretion of previous FOs, but things still trickle out over time. Even it's only fringe details, and there's a lot more than what we're hearing, there's a pattern of behaviour that has a common denominator.

Team mates of three teams didn't like not only the load management but how it was handled by #2 and his group.

FOs had to deal with not only the effects of LM in the locker room and on the court, but of demands by #2's group off of it, because that's how access to #2 has been controlled.

The part about being late often is a new wrinkle on an old issue, making sure everyone knows how special #2 is and therefore the same basic professionalism doesn't apply to him. Now, if nobody from Clips FO told #2 that wasn't ok, that's a problem. If he was told and still continued to be late - 'often' - that's a problem. If players who question it just get shipped out (Spurs wouldn't do that, so #2 shipped himself out to NYC after being asked about his repeated reneging on returning to play in a players-only meeting), it sends the message that one player utterly controls the franchise. If this is what Clips ownership and FO and coaching staff signed on for and are fine with tolerating, as you were.

But beware of the pattern. Truth will out.

Read on Twitter

Nah nah we'll never know what really happened. Everybody is at fault but #2. Gonna take this happening on at least 7 teams before we consider the possibility of maybe thinking about laying some hypothetical blame at his feet.......... maybe. We just don't know what happened.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#139 » by LesGrossman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:31 am

Soulyss wrote:I am not sure why this is shocking to anyone... There was a reason SAS punted him, knowing how good he was... if you can't fit in the Spurs culture it says something.

Oh you have insights in to their legal department and locker room? Tell us more please.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
blackcosmos
Junior
And1: 407

Post#140 » by blackcosmos » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 am

not all that surprising.

if my colleague half ass it at work and receive 3x the pay. I would also be irritated

Return to The General Board