ImageImageImageImageImage

How good would we be if we just stand pat this offseason?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

How good would we be if we just stand pat this offseason? 

Post#1 » by Kilroy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:01 am

I was thinking... This team really was all basically brand new this season... What if we just kept it together and let the guys have another year at it... How good would we be?
Not that I think we will stand pat... Nor can we... But just thinking... Generally teams that stay the course don't really achieve their full potential for a year or 2... It's really kind of remarkable we won the chip with this all new team.

I think we'd certainly be a WCF team at least...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Re: How good would we be if we just stand pat this offseason? 

Post#2 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:39 am

I think we’d be really good if we stood pat.
If we could get a wing defender we’d be even better.
Formerly lakerRD
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#3 » by Beethoven » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:02 am

We're losing rondo.
We're losing kcp.
Dwight as well I'm sure.
If we stand pat we would still be behind in 3pt shooting and ability in half court offense. Losing rondo will really hurt there in the latter.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#4 » by mcscotty » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:25 am

We'd be top contenders again, but we could get better with a few tweaks. Avery Bradley can go. He's proven himself to be dispensable. Kuzma could be traded for a solid vet. McGee is weak. Vegan diet is killing his athleticism. He can go. Quinn Cook could free up 3 million. I'm torn on Green. His shot wasn't falling, but he's a smart player. Winning follows him. I'd like to see Rondo back. He's the perfect back-up to spell Lebron. KCP was awesome all playoffs. Hope he opts in.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#5 » by BEazy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:10 am

Teams are going to study the Lakers extensively. With that said, they'll find ways to counter our bigs and our lack of efficient shooting.
We won't get back to the Finals if we just stand pat and other teams like the Nuggets and Warriors improve.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#6 » by BEazy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:11 am

mcscotty wrote:We'd be top contenders again, but we could get better with a few tweaks. Avery Bradley can go. He's proven himself to be dispensable. Kuzma could be traded for a solid vet. McGee is weak. Vegan diet is killing his athleticism. He can go. Quinn Cook could free up 3 million. I'm torn on Green. His shot wasn't falling, but he's a smart player. Winning follows him. I'd like to see Rondo back. He's the perfect back-up to spell Lebron. KCP was awesome all playoffs. Hope he opts in.

KCP opted out already.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#7 » by DanishLakerFan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:41 am

Kilroy wrote:I was thinking... This team really was all basically brand new this season... What if we just kept it together and let the guys have another year at it... How good would we be?
Not that I think we will stand pat... Nor can we... But just thinking... Generally teams that stay the course don't really achieve their full potential for a year or 2... It's really kind of remarkable we won the chip with this all new team.

With Rondo opting out and a lot of guys having player options, it may not be possible. But if we rolled it back for one year i think we should be better next season.

Better chemistry and guys like Caruso, THT and Kuzma should improve, Bradley should be back and we also have the 28th pick to give us some depth. In addition we'd be able to address a few needs along the way too.

Lets we replaced Dwight with Boogie. Used the MLE to bring back Rondo+Morris. Probabaly waive Cook. Resigned KCP using Bird Rights and then used BAE on a shooter i think we'd be right there.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#8 » by kblo247 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:46 pm

It’s hard to say to you see the cap because if it goes down players are better off staying where they are at and then
Exemptions may not be used by everyone
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#9 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:44 pm

In slapping together the team at the last second, Pelinka said Vogels only request was defensive guys. Players who can guard multiple positions. Defenders for varying game plans. And we were that. Small ball rockets, we had a answer. Big Man in the middle Nuggets, we had an answer. Bunch of tweeners runnin around, we had an answer for that as well. How our defensive pieces fit for next season is big key. To be adaptable for any new challenges
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#10 » by RamonSessions7 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:10 pm

I’d favor us to repeat, but wouldn’t be super confident. Just an upgrade to some measure of consistent 3rd scorer. Basically what I wanted Kuz to be
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#11 » by tamaraw08 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Kilroy wrote:I was thinking... This team really was all basically brand new this season... What if we just kept it together and let the guys have another year at it... How good would we be?

This team was not very good whenever their 35 year old leader sits on the bench for like 14 minutes per game. Rondo was not exactly healthy the whole season, missing a good chunk of games. Green was inconsistent while Bradley is not exactly fully committed to this team and JMG and Cook were useless. Young teams like Denver would be wiser, GSW would be a lot healthier and it’s possible the Clips will solve their problems.
Having said that, yes I like them to keep the core esp Morris, KCP etc and it would be nice if they can get a playmaker who can carry the team’s offense when Lebron sits.
Their half court sets needs to get better so they don’t need to rely so much on transition baskets.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#12 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:58 pm

Beethoven wrote:We're losing rondo.
We're losing kcp.
Dwight as well I'm sure.
If we stand pat we would still be behind in 3pt shooting and ability in half court offense. Losing rondo will really hurt there in the latter.

Those are not guaranteed loses, Rondo and DH have mutual interest with the Lakers, they just want to get paid so it is not a given that they will walk. Plus there is always the sign and trade possibility so it wouldn’t be a total loss if the y did walk.
Forum permissions