Kira Lewis Jr.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Kira Lewis Jr. 

Post#1 » by Saberestar » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:11 pm

I have not seen his own thread and I want to know what do you think about him.

Are there any Alabama fans that can tell me what is his biggest flaw? He seems at least decent at everything on the court and he excels in transition to me.

And what about his character?

He has been interviewed by the Suns and the Knicks so he can probably go as high as #8 in the draft.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Re: Kira Lewis Jr. 

Post#2 » by kobyz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 am

Reminds me Mike Conley
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#3 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:51 pm

I really like him. I'm not convinced he's 6'3" He looks 6'2" with sneakers on. He's a poor man's De'Aaron Fox because he's smalle and while a good defender, he's not elite like Fox. He's a good shooter unlike Fox so that closes the gap. The NBA is made for guys like him. His speed will allow him to be a terror in the PnR and he can shoot and is crafty on drives. If we're sitting there at #17 we have to think long and hard about taking him there. It depends on who is still on the board. How he measures will help make that decision. He's very sleight of build. If he shows up, measures a legit 6'3", has a 6'6" wingspan and doesn't weigh 160 lbs like he did in college, that's going to be tough to pass on given our backup PG situation and Kemba's injury concerns.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:06 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:I really like him. I'm not convinced he's 6'3" He looks 6'2" with sneakers on. He's a poor man's De'Aaron Fox because he's smalle and while a good defender, he's not elite like Fox. He's a good shooter unlike Fox so that closes the gap. The NBA is made for guys like him. His speed will allow him to be a terror in the PnR and he can shoot and is crafty on drives. If we're sitting there at #17 we have to think long and hard about taking him there. It depends on who is still on the board. How he measures will help make that decision. He's very sleight of build. If he shows up, measures a legit 6'3", has a 6'6" wingspan and doesn't weigh 160 lbs like he did in college, that's going to be tough to pass on given our backup PG situation and Kemba's injury concerns.

17 is the Minny pick are you planning on trading for that pick or something?
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:27 am

Apparently the Suns really like him. They’ve worked him out twice. I wonder if they’re either taking him at 10 or if they’re going to trade back a little for him.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#6 » by MemphisX » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:28 am

doordoor123 wrote:Apparently the Suns really like him. They’ve worked him out twice. I wonder if they’re either taking him at 10 or if they’re going to trade back a little for him.

They should take him at 10. Knicks should at 8.

Not sure why Killian Hayes is rated higher but whatever.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#7 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:15 am

He's an obvious pick for Boston at 14, but probably not going to last that long.

Boston's first-round picks the past two seasons are Romeo Langford, Grant Williams, and Robert Williams. All three seem to already be if-healty rotation guys, or at least on the verge of that status. So while the roster is sufficiently balanced and deep that BPA is perfectly doable, PG is perhaps a little better fit than other positions.

Unless, of course, Ainge is a big believer in G-League RotY Tremont Waters. Or unless Ainge agrees with the folks who think PG is deeper in this draft than other positions. (Note: The best PG Ainge ever drafted was Rondo, and I think he went at 21.)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 pm

he's good, wiry and sudden, kinda like a De'Aaron Fox, not quite as explosive tho, can play both transition in half-court, keeps defenses on their heals b/c he likes to attack, defensively not a huge negative.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#9 » by DirtyDez » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:03 am

clyde21 wrote:he's good, wiry and sudden, kinda like a De'Aaron Fox, not quite as explosive tho, can play both transition in half-court, keeps defenses on their heals b/c he likes to attack, defensively not a huge negative.

He’s got the same frame and muscle definition in his legs as Fox but looks closer to SGA as an athlete. He turns into a steal if he falls out of the lottery.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#10 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:45 pm

kobyz wrote:Reminds me Mike Conley

Pretty good comparison from what Ive seen so far. I haven't watched game film to really see his approach to an entire game. (I've only seen the typical highlight and skills analysis videos) I see the skills and athleticism being similar but from what I've heard his team plays at a high pace and he's very active in keeping pressure on the defense.

Before I say for sure, I really like Conley. I think hes a very balanced PG who can act as a system initiator as an attacker but he could also caretake an offense a bit and set up his stars in the 2 man or 3 man game when defenses lock in the halfcourt. When it comes to Kira, I'd like more data in terms of how effective he is in the second part. His caretaker skills when its not run and gun.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,500

Post#11 » by jezzerinho » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:44 pm

Personally, I take Devon Dotson over Lewis if I'm looking for an up tempo floor-running PG and I can probably get him late first at the earliest.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:33 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Personally, I take Devon Dotson over Lewis if I'm looking for an up tempo floor-running PG and I can probably get him late first at the earliest.

lol Dotson is a sneaky good athlete but he is not on the same level of bbiq as Lewis and is 2 years older.
he also is not a high level scorer or shooter and probably is a 2nd rounder at best with most projections as a 3rd guard off the bench type sim to tremont waters could in fact go UDFA unless he has a outstanding proday type workout proving he improved his outside shooting significantly
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#13 » by Kalela » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:12 am

He is one of those players you would hope some team in the lottery will fall in love with and pick him there so someone better will move down.
Fire Mazzulla
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 am

Honestly would be so surprised if he moved below the lottery. If you're a team looking for a star you're looking at the deepest position in the draft and thats guard. This guy can come in and play both guard positions and hes known for being quick. Yeah, he had turnovers, but hes a solid passer anyway for his age. I only expect him to get better in the NBA, especially with his speed.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#15 » by jezzerinho » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:47 am

Stillwater wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:Personally, I take Devon Dotson over Lewis if I'm looking for an up tempo floor-running PG and I can probably get him late first at the earliest.

lol Dotson is a sneaky good athlete but he is not on the same level of bbiq as Lewis and is 2 years older.
he also is not a high level scorer or shooter and probably is a 2nd rounder at best with most projections as a 3rd guard off the bench type sim to tremont waters could in fact go UDFA unless he has a outstanding proday type workout proving he improved his outside shooting significantly

Lol? Ok.

Kira Lewis is a good shooter and a plus athlete. He can't/won't finish through contact, lacks touch at the rim and in midrange. Where does this BBIQ manifest itself? In the half court? I don't see Lewis displaying above avg smarts in pick and roll or with playmaking. Shot creation? I'd say Lewis struggles to make space to shoot or get in the lane when he's not in transition. He's an ok distributor but prone to turnovers for a lead ball handler. On defense? He struggles with picks and screens - and not just physically. Just gets caught out of position and then can't get over the screen. So far he's a net negative defender.

That makes me sound like I think he'll be bad. I'd say a lot is correctable, but I don't see an efficient player in his early career.

Dotson's a better 3-level scorer, tho his 3pt% needs improvement. Better handle, better caretaker of the ball, better craft at creating shots, more physical and better playing thru contact, great first step, great shake and bake.

He's a better defender than Lewis already and likely to stay that way. Is apparently close to 200lbs already but still has great feet and good anticipation. Leader on defense.

Dotson's problem for me is he likes to do everything at 200mph. He needs to learn patience, improve his vision and to not lose his fundamentals through rushing too much. I think that's very coachable.

I'm happy to be against the grain on these two guys and fully prepared to be wrong. But my feeling is history will show these guys differently than their mock draft slots.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#16 » by Saberestar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:06 am

doordoor123 wrote:Honestly would be so surprised if he moved below the lottery. If you're a team looking for a star you're looking at the deepest position in the draft and thats guard. This guy can come in and play both guard positions and hes known for being quick. Yeah, he had turnovers, but hes a solid passer anyway for his age. I only expect him to get better in the NBA, especially with his speed.

I agree, I think he is a lottery pick in this draft.

Tyrese Maxey or Kira Lewis for you? I have doubts about who is gonna be better in the NBA. I like both.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#17 » by Saberestar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:52 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Lol? Ok.

Kira Lewis is a good shooter and a plus athlete. He can't/won't finish through contact, lacks touch at the rim and in midrange. Where does this BBIQ manifest itself? In the half court? I don't see Lewis displaying above avg smarts in pick and roll or with playmaking. Shot creation? I'd say Lewis struggles to make space to shoot or get in the lane when he's not in transition. He's an ok distributor but prone to turnovers for a lead ball handler. On defense? He struggles with picks and screens - and not just physically. Just gets caught out of position and then can't get over the screen. So far he's a net negative defender.

That makes me sound like I think he'll be bad. I'd say a lot is correctable, but I don't see an efficient player in his early career.

Dotson's a better 3-level scorer, tho his 3pt% needs improvement. Better handle, better caretaker of the ball, better craft at creating shots, more physical and better playing thru contact, great first step, great shake and bake.

He's a better defender than Lewis already and likely to stay that way. Is apparently close to 200lbs already but still has great feet and good anticipation. Leader on defense.

Dotson's problem for me is he likes to do everything at 200mph. He needs to learn patience, improve his vision and to not lose his fundamentals through rushing too much. I think that's very coachable.

I'm happy to be against the grain on these two guys and fully prepared to be wrong. But my feeling is history will show these guys differently than their mock draft slots.

There are big physical differences between Lewis and Dotson that are huge at the PG position.

Dotson is 6'0 barefoot and has an 7′ 11.5” standing reach.

Kira Lewis is at worst a couple inches taller and his standing reach a couple of years ago (17 yo) was 8'5 already.

Both are really fast and Dotson for now is stronger, but that is not a big advantage because Kira is two years younger.

Their skillset are probably similar for now, I can buy that, but upside + height make Lewis the better prospect IMO.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#18 » by jezzerinho » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:54 pm

The list of NBA PGs with an 8' or less standing reach is littered with stars. I doubt that will be what lifts Lewis over Dotson but I'm prepared to believe something else will.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#19 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Dotson will boom if he's put next to a playmaking wing. Dallas should try to land him.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:59 pm

jezzerinho wrote:The list of NBA PGs with an 8' or less standing reach is littered with stars. I doubt that will be what lifts Lewis over Dotson but I'm prepared to believe something else will.

What I do like about Dotson is he plays with a lot of moxey , I am just not sold he showed enough as a shooter for scouts to have him very high on any boards before the late 2nd barring some impressive pre draft process which is unlikely given teams can only see 10 prospects in total. A lot of ball handling guards in this class with better measurables and shooting ability

Return to NBA Draft