ImageImageImageImageImage

Interesting Tidbit in This Clippers Article (The Athletic)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Interesting Tidbit in This Clippers Article (The Athletic) 

Post#1 » by nabbs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:31 am

https://theathletic.com/2141520/2020/10/15/in-tyronn-lue-the-clippers-found-a-familiar-coach-who-can-bring-needed-changes/?source=emp_shared_article

Players like Beverley, Montrezl Harrell and Lou Williams — Clippers bedrocks before the arrival of Leonard and George — bristled when Leonard was permitted to take games off to manage his body and to live in San Diego, which often led to him being late for team flights, league sources said. The team also allowed Leonard to dictate to Rivers when he could be pulled from games, among other things. Lue was on Rivers’ bench for all of this, but the Clippers were Rivers’ show.

At night in the Disney bubble, Lue often was seen holding court, outside at the resort, regaling players from numerous teams (such as Kyle Lowry, the Toronto point guard with whom he’s close, as well as other Raptors) with stories and lessons.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,584

Re: Interesting Tidbit in This Clippers Article (The Athletic) 

Post#3 » by bluerap23 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Kawhi is such an atypical winner. Most players that truly want to achieve greatness need to lead by example with max effort. LeBron, MJ, Kobe all have this drive. Vince was never that guy and Kawhi doesn't look like that guy either. TBH I think we carried Kawhi just as much as he carried us.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,393

Post#4 » by beanbag » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:40 pm

bluerap23 wrote:Kawhi is such an atypical winner. Most players that truly want to achieve greatness need to lead by example with max effort. LeBron, MJ, Kobe all have this drive. Vince was never that guy and Kawhi doesn't look like that guy either. TBH I think we carried Kawhi just as much as he carried us.

He doesn't look like that guy? Do you know him personally? Ever been in an NBA lockerroom? On the bus? Team plane? Practice? Team dinner? Players only meeting?

Just because he doesn't performatively bark into the camera like Kevin Garnett begging everyone watching to think he's a leader doesn't mean anything.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by bluerap23 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:34 pm

beanbag wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:Kawhi is such an atypical winner. Most players that truly want to achieve greatness need to lead by example with max effort. LeBron, MJ, Kobe all have this drive. Vince was never that guy and Kawhi doesn't look like that guy either. TBH I think we carried Kawhi just as much as he carried us.

He doesn't look like that guy? Do you know him personally? Ever been in an NBA lockerroom? On the bus? Team plane? Practice? Team dinner? Players only meeting?

Just because he doesn't performatively bark into the camera like Kevin Garnett begging everyone watching to think he's a leader doesn't mean anything.

I am referring to his preference to play 75% of the reg season. LeBron, MJ, Kobe would never do that and it clearly has an affect on teammates. This has nothing to do with locker room or any other character issues. Don't get me wrong - I would pay him to play 50% of the reg season on the raps.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#6 » by Danny1616 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:43 pm

Load managing didn't mean that Kawhi didn't give max effort.

When Kawhi is on the floor he plays **** hard.

Yeah he's an idiot for leaving, but I respect the effort on both ends he played last season, and how he pushed his body through pain during the playoffs.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,393

Post#7 » by beanbag » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:45 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

I am referring to his preference to play 75% of the reg season. LeBron, MJ, Kobe would never do that and it clearly has an affect on teammates. This has nothing to do with locker room or any other character issues. Don't get me wrong - I would pay him to play 50% of the reg season on the raps.

I think being late for the team plane has an effect on teammates. I don't think many of the Raptors players cared how many regular season games he was playing when they were winning a title.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,596

Post#8 » by Son Goku 25 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 am

I think we're missing an important piece in that article, Kyle Lowry.

I mentioned this when the Clippers team was assembled, their lack of a true play maker and PG would be their downfall. I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle and Kawhi wanted to team since Kawhi departed to Clips. Lue is close to Kyle as well.. al though I do recall I time Lue threw him under the bus during his tenure with Cavs in playoffs.

I'd hate it if Kyle goes there though and hope it doesn't happen.
Read
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,143

Post#9 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:22 am

Masai is not trading Lowry to the clippers. Especially when you realize they have 0 assets.
baller16
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,566

Post#10 » by baller16 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:26 am

bluerap23 wrote:
beanbag wrote:

He has degenerative tendinopathy. There's nothing he can do, he has to sit out. Even if he chose to play the entire season, it'd be the dumbest thing to do and no team would allow it
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,065

Post#11 » by Indeed » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:10 am

Son Goku 25 wrote:I think we're missing an important piece in that article, Kyle Lowry.

I mentioned this when the Clippers team was assembled, their lack of a true play maker and PG would be their downfall. I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle and Kawhi wanted to team since Kawhi departed to Clips. Lue is close to Kyle as well.. al though I do recall I time Lue threw him under the bus during his tenure with Cavs in playoffs.

I'd hate it if Kyle goes there though and hope it doesn't happen.

Totally unimportant. Lowry has a contract with us.
And you think Lowry doesn't know that he is being treat better here?
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,564

Post#12 » by Brinbe » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:52 am

not too surprising. you upend the entire team culture in favor of superstars having everything handed to them when the other guys were busting their butts last year when everyone counted them out.

same thing gonna happen in brooklyn too and we already saw some of it this season
sycammer
Head Coach
And1: 1,304

Post#13 » by sycammer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:09 am

Brinbe wrote:not too surprising. you upend the entire team culture in favor of superstars having everything handed to them when the other guys were busting their butts last year when everyone counted them out.

same thing gonna happen in brooklyn too and we already saw some of it this season

we dont know that yet...kyrie isnt a leader but KD is someone who will definitely keep a check...also steve Nash as 1st HC, i had no idea that he was working with GSW during their championship run. just goes to how difficult it is to win 1 NBA Championship & they got assistance from so many former players in developing that team
Oakley:

"What's going on the league today? It ain't nothing hard, they don't practice any more, they just go around the court doing nothing."
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,796

Post#14 » by Michael Jordan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:36 am

If Masai decides to go younger and retool I wouldn’t care if they traded Kyle - but the Clippers have nothing to offer
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,564

Post#15 » by Brinbe » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:55 am

sycammer wrote:
Brinbe wrote:not too surprising. you upend the entire team culture in favor of superstars having everything handed to them when the other guys were busting their butts last year when everyone counted them out.

we dont know that yet...kyrie isnt a leader but KD is someone who will definitely keep a check...also steve Nash as 1st HC, i had no idea that he was working with GSW during their championship run. just goes to how difficult it is to win 1 NBA Cheampionship & they got assistance from so many former players in developing that team

We don't know but I'm willing to bet someone like . Dinwiddie will grouse about things since he's an all star in his own mind.

Joe Harris is gone in FA and LeVert/Allen will probably be happy to just be on a winning team and Kenny/others are already gone.

So it may work out a bit better compared to the Clippers.

But yeah, it shows how good of a situation we've had for the past two seasons. That Kawhi situation could've gone sideways since he got favorable treatment here too and there was something that went on in the locker room early that Kyle and Kawhi eluded to that they smoothed over.

Not having to pay DeMar star money as he ages further into his 30s is a godsend.

As for trading Kyle, I wouldn't be opposed but it has to be a somewhat decent return
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#16 » by Mack11 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:24 am

honestly, all these reports would have been brought to light if we didnt win a championship as well. As i recall, some of our players had a problem with his load management but in the end the load management paid off with us winning a ring so nobody made a fuss as opposed to the clippers where they failed so now they’re trying to collectively put every reason together on why they didn’t get the job done
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,151

Post#17 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Masai is not trading Lowry to the clippers. Especially when you realize they have 0 assets.

Lowry for PG. Who says no?
flipside21
Veteran
And1: 896

Post#18 » by flipside21 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Kyle Lowry and Kawhi were the first mix.

Batman with a side kick’s soul, and Robin with the heart of a galaxy class hero.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,143

Post#19 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:41 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Masai is not trading Lowry to the clippers. Especially when you realize they have 0 assets.

Lowry for PG. Who says no?

Ok thats different. They're not gonna give us PG for Lowry after they traded the farm for him lol.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,725

Post#20 » by Drygon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Vince definitely had that drive, he never had a great supporting cast in his prime.

The likes of LeBron/MJ/Kobe. never came close winning a Championship while being on a bad team.

I won't judge Kawhi, he's never played on a bad team.

Return to Toronto Raptors