ImageImageImageImageImage

Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,438

Re: Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed 

Post#41 » by mtcan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 am

bozothepope wrote:Whatever helps keep Canadians safe I'm in favour of, but I'm worried this is going to hurt our chances even more at free agents.

Players won't have to go through customs for the entire season. This is a plus for players.

Watching JJ Redick's podcast episode with Demar Derozan...he laid it out about how much of a pain it is to go through customs. He said he never understood the complaints until after he got traded to the Spurs.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#42 » by Rapsalot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Buffalo make most sense but Raptors could develop a process for opposing teams to get in and out say one hotel floor reserved and then cleaned in between stays.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#43 » by Parataxis » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:58 pm

Rapsalot wrote:Buffalo make most sense but Raptors could develop a process for opposing teams to get in and out say one hotel floor reserved and then cleaned in between stays.

Yeah, but it's also a big issue for the Raptors players. If everytime they come back from the US, they need to quarantine to just their apartments and the ACC for two weeks, they're not really going to have a very good time of things.
prelude00
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#44 » by prelude00 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:41 pm

prelude00
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#45 » by prelude00 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
prelude00 wrote:Say the raps end up in a US city that allows fans in arenas, any of you willing to fly down there to watch our boys play?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Not sure if serious
I'm serious. Believe it or not, there's still people traveling for leisure. I know people that just spent a week in Cancun

raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,284

Post#46 » by raptorstime » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Florida
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#47 » by Inklink » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Toronto and Vancouver bubbles for the entire season. Just so that pissy NBA players are forced to do so.

Seriously though, the government was 100% correct in not allowing the Jays to play here, given the MLB's horrendous plan at the outset. It had too many holes, clearly. With more lead time, they might be able to figure out a better plan for the NBA. Especially since it's one game and out, rather than MLB teams spending 3 days in the city for a series.

The NHL might have a Canadian team division, or 4 bubbles, 1 for each division? Who knows.
For lease.
Sanyo
Starter
And1: 1,628

Post#48 » by Sanyo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Pittsburgh is a possibly as well, maybe a bit nicer than Buffalo.

Tho Im sure Jack Armstrong would love Buffalo since he could go home every night and not have to drive the QEW several times a week like he usually does.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#49 » by Yallbecrazy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:29 pm

prelude00 wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:
prelude00 wrote:Say the raps end up in a US city that allows fans in arenas, any of you willing to fly down there to watch our boys play?

Not sure if serious
I'm serious. Believe it or not, there's still people traveling for leisure. I know people that just spent a week in Cancun

If the Raptors aren't allowed to play in Canada...
Then Covid will be a very serious issue still...
If Covid is a very serious issue still...
Then going to an American city which will be a hotbed of covid and sitting indoors with other fans around seems insane to me.
Sanyo
Starter

Post#50 » by Sanyo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:31 pm

no offence but the last people i would trust to self isolate and quarantine are basketball players. they love their strip clubs too much :P
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#51 » by hyper316 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 pm

Prepare for bubble 2.0. one in Orlando, other in Las Vegas
Sanyo
Starter

Post#52 » by Sanyo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm

mtcan wrote:
bozothepope wrote:Whatever helps keep Canadians safe I'm in favour of, but I'm worried this is going to hurt our chances even more at free agents.

Players won't have to go through customs for the entire season. This is a plus for players.

Watching JJ Redick's podcast episode with Demar Derozan...he laid it out about how much of a pain it is to go through customs. He said he never understood the complaints until after he got traded to the Spurs.

Im surprised by that since they fly private and dont have to wait in long lines like other mere mortals. i think for raptor players the main thing is they have to keep their passport handy. but these are nba players who bitch and moan about everything.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,720

Post#53 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:41 pm

Vaclac wrote:
douggood wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:I hope the federal government doesn't pull the same nonsense that they did with the Jays.

There won't be fans, what is the risk to the general public?

the other teams travelling, raptors travelling. in baseball case, mlb couldnt gurantee the visiting team would quarantine in the hotel next to rogers center.

That is a good point. Canadians in general care more about the NHL and it affects way more teams - I can't really imagine them saying all Canadian NHL teams have to find an American city to play in - that's a very different situation from a single exception like the Jays or the Raptors.

There is an nhl all Canadian division for next year is my understanding.

Nba sounded like they were trying to create a few bubbles to move around to and play out of. So not sure they need a home court.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Post#54 » by RyderMike » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 pm

douggood wrote:probably another nba city, share an arena

that was bluejays initial plan until all pittsburg city said no, and baltimore was taking too long,

with enough planning nba/raptors/2nd city could manage schedule. jays was too last minute, so had limited choice.

probably a state that allows public attendance. miami/orlando are probably prime targets.

I could see them wanting their own place. That's what Toronto FC decided to do. Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps decided to share stadiums with existing teams, Toronto FC decided to find their own place in Hartford for their own home field.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#55 » by Courtside » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:32 pm

If MLSE has done a lot of legwork and built a relationship with officials in CT and at UConn, then the Raptors wouldn't be badly served by playing their games there also. It's convenient to BOS and both NY area teams, with PHI not much further beyond. It wouldn't be a warm or glamorous location, but if they stay at a hotel like Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun or something, that could work too - and those two hotels both have an arena facility for use.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#56 » by Ado05 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:41 pm

Sounds like the NHL will have Canadian teams playing each other in an all Canadian division, which suggests to me that they couldn't come up with a plan that would allow teams to travel in and out of Canada.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,925

Post#57 » by Potential » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:57 pm

It will be Oracle Arena 100% guaranteed. We shut down that arena and basically own it now
Ivre
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#58 » by Ivre » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:47 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:
Pet Poeltl wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
But the players have already accepted the risk by agreeing to play. What harm does allowing them to travel in and out of Toronto really cause for the general population?

Spreading it to the general population.

Which would happen how?

Since there has yet to be a teleportation device invented. The players, after you turn off your television set, will need to move around and eat and travel. Spreading those moments between the US and Canada is problematic.

What happens if a new chicken wing flavour is available?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#59 » by bstein14 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:19 am

It's too bad they just tore down the Palace it was a pretty nice venue still and it would be sitting empty and just a few hours from Toronto.

Little Ceasar's Arena in Detroit doesn't make sense because the Pistons share with the Red Wings so there probably won't be enough open nights to run events.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see teams play in regional bubbles to cram in more games in less time without having to travel. Perhaps each division knocks out its 16 regional games (4 games each against 4 other teams in the conference) in a bubble to start the season.

You end up with bubbles in NY, Chicago, Orlando, LA, Denver, and Dallas.

Each of those venues could figure out how to host games in a manor in which they can socially distance and run two games per night.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#60 » by nabbs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 am

Rapid testing kits are probably in drug stores by the time January rolls around. I suspect they’ll do what the NFL is doing but have stricter testing protocols, mandatory masks and temp checks.

Furthermore the stadium attendance is proving to be effective from what I understand. Have there been any major outbreaks from spectators attending the NFL games?

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,

Return to Toronto Raptors