NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,147

Re: NBA executives reportedly think the Lakers will try to trade for Chris Paul 

Post#21 » by donnieme » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:07 am

Lakers have all these free agents they'd have to convince to opt-in/re-sign just to be used as salary filler. Not happening when they could just hit the market and choose where they end up. Lakers trade proposals/rumours rarely seem to make sense
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,568

Post#22 » by Sofia » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:57 am

Eric Pincus is a bum.
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#23 » by Greyhound » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:23 pm

This is fake news aimed at creating unrest amongst some of the pending Lakers free agents.

The Lakers would be the dumbest team ever to ship off so many useful role players for a rich mans Rondo. Particularly when you can bring back playoff Rondo at a more affordable cost (holding his early bird rights).

This is just Laughable. Anonymous league exec needs to take a long walk down a sort cliff.

Enjoy the trip buddy.
Don't believe the hype...
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#24 » by nedleeds » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Dr Aki wrote:zero chance unless there's a buyout

zero chance theres a buyout until his last year.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,508

Post#25 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:30 pm

I give it a chance with a KCP signed and traded. You are the master of the cap. Can KCP be given a 2 year 47m contract, which then can be traded with McGee, Kuzma and pick 28 player (10m)?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#26 » by Woodsanity » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Don't see a realistic way to make the salaries work. Would give up half the roster which isn't good.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,034

Post#27 » by lamscott » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:44 pm

What? With what money? Lol. This is crazy.

Dear GB board, don't let the bandwagon Laker fans ruin your thoughts of us. They stoopid.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Slava wrote:There's no place to fill the roster with that kind of salary added to two max players who are already there. Only way Paul comes to LA is with a significant buyout or in free agency.

I think there is a very easy path that doesn't cost the Lakers all their depth. Hawks have interest in KCP as they are desperate for more veteran wing help. A S&T with only the 1st year gtd(or maybe even 2) for a big number to the Hawks with the Lakers sending the Hawks a couple 2nds for making it a S&T to help the Lakers rather than just signing him outright and then Danny Green going to the Thunder. Thunder then send back cheap Nader along with Paul. Heck the Hawks would probably take Green too if OKC doesn't want him.

It's really easy and KCP being a Rich Paul client makes it easier.

Now this sucks as a fan of a team in the West because now nobody's challenging the Lakers, but the machinations are trivial.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,577

Post#29 » by Kingdibs19 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

No go on trading Caruso. Id trade everyone on the team for CP3 outside of the bald eagle, KCP and the big 2
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Slava wrote:There's no place to fill the roster with that kind of salary added to two max players who are already there. Only way Paul comes to LA is with a significant buyout or in free agency.

I think there is a very easy path that doesn't cost the Lakers all their depth. Hawks have interest in KCP as they are desperate for more veteran wing help. A S&T with only the 1st year gtd(or maybe even 2) for a big number to the Hawks with the Lakers sending the Hawks a couple 2nds for making it a S&T to help the Lakers rather than just signing him outright and then Danny Green going to the Thunder. Thunder then send back cheap Nader along with Paul. Heck the Hawks would probably take Green too if OKC doesn't want him.

Now this sucks as a fan of a team in the West because now nobody's challenging the Lakers, but the machinations are trivial.

I agree though I think Lakers rather keep Green and move KCP (23.5m) + McGee (4.2m) + Kuzma (3.5m) + Pick 28 (2.1m) = 33.3m
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,115

Post#31 » by Dr Aki » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:24 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

I give it a chance with a KCP signed and traded. You are the master of the cap. Can KCP be given a 2 year 47m contract, which then can be traded with McGee, Kuzma and pick 28 player (10m)?

participating in a S&T would hard cap the lakers at the apron

i don't think that's something the lakers want or need
Texas Chuck

Post#32 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:25 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

I agree though I think Lakers rather keep Green and move KCP (23.5m) + McGee (4.2m) + Kuzma (3.5m) + Pick 28 (2.1m) = 33.3m

Yeah maybe. I don't know what the ultimate budget is for the Lakers and if they would be willing to pay Paul and Green. And frankly as much as I can't believe we are here--Kuzma might project to be a better player than Green next year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#33 » by MotownMadness » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:25 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Damn, you guys are actually making this sound pretty realistic. I would think Kuzma and 28 is a good deal as the core pieces back for OKC for CP3 at this point. Then the KCP part shouldn't be a problem to work out.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:44 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Damn, you guys are actually making this sound pretty realistic. I would think Kuzma and 28 is a good deal as the core pieces back for OKC for CP3 at this point. Then the KCP part shouldn't be a problem to work out.

It's possible but probably not realistic. The hard cap would be a big issue for the Lakers, especially coming into a year where salary cap could be much lower than expected.

I think CP3 will be a 76er.
Texas Chuck

Post#35 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:45 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

It's possible but probably not realistic. The hard cap would be a big issue for the Lakers, especially coming into a year where salary cap could be much lower than expected.

Lakers wouldn't be hard-capped in this situation fwiw.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Yes but what if KCP was signed, wait a couple months, then traded?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Damn, you guys are actually making this sound pretty realistic. I would think Kuzma and 28 is a good deal as the core pieces back for OKC for CP3 at this point. Then the KCP part shouldn't be a problem to work out.

Really? Why not?
Texas Chuck

Post#38 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:54 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Really? Why not?

Hard cap is triggered by using the full non-taxpayer MLE or taking a player back in S&T neither of which happened here.
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#39 » by Dr Aki » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:55 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I give it a chance with a KCP signed and traded. You are the master of the cap. Can KCP be given a 2 year 47m contract, which then can be traded with McGee, Kuzma and pick 28 player (10m)?

Yes but what if KCP was signed, wait a couple months, then traded?

Sure, whatever the date to trade them is.

However, if the Lakers had already used the NTMLE and BAE, they would've have committed to hard cap themselves at the apron.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q20

The transactions listed above are reserved for teams that are below the Apron. This applies to the entire season in which one of these exceptions is used -- for example, if a team is below the Apron and utilizes its Bi-Annual exception, it commits itself to remaining below the Apron for the remainder of that season (through the following June 30).

In other words, when a team is below the Apron and uses its Bi-Annual exception, receives a player who is signed-and-traded, or uses its Mid-Level exception to sign a player to a contract larger than allowed by the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the team becomes hard-capped at the Apron for the remainder of that season. This eliminates any potential loophole where a team could first use one of these exceptions and subsequently add salary to go above the Apron, since the reverse -- adding salary first and then using the exception -- would be illegal.
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#40 » by Dr Aki » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Really? Why not?

Hard cap is triggered by using the full non-taxpayer MLE or taking a player back in S&T neither of which happened here.

It's also triggered by using the BAE

You can pretty much bet the Lakers will be using the BAE and NTMLE during the off-season.

Probably to retain Dwight, Kieff and Rondo

Return to The General Board