Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Re: Michael Jordan is still the GOAT. Lebron has solidified the #2 spot though. 

Post#561 » by OdomFan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Alize wrote:I also think the 2012 OKC is a better team than anything Jordan faced in the 90s.
OdomFan wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
2012 “Young.” Yeah, they were, but literally more talent than any team Jordan played in the finals. That team also had a +6.44 SRS and would be +9.15 the very next year (GOAT level SRS) but were derailed by injuries.

2014 “Aging Spurs.” OK. Aging is bad, young is bad. I guess playing 35 year old Stockton and Malone is ok, though.

2016 faced “crippled and unhealthy team.” That seems real objective

Out of their 16 Finals’ opponents, LeBron faced the 6 best and probably at least the 7 or 8 of the 10 best.

You'd guess right considering Michael Jordan was also 34-35 in that 97 and 98 Finals series. Lebron on the other hand was much younger than the aged Spurs players being brought up here.

Lol at the 2012 Thunder being better than every finals opponent Jordan face. Just another example of ignorant incorrect hot takes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app

Never said he was the only one that thought that, but great. You can both be wrong together.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#562 » by OdomFan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:13 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
2012 “Young.” Yeah, they were, but literally more talent than any team Jordan played in the finals. That team also had a +6.44 SRS and would be +9.15 the very next year (GOAT level SRS) but were derailed by injuries.

2014 “Aging Spurs.” OK. Aging is bad, young is bad. I guess playing 35 year old Stockton and Malone is ok, though.

2016 faced “crippled and unhealthy team.” :lol: :lol: That seems real objective :lol:

Out of their 16 Finals’ opponents, LeBron faced the 6 best and probably at least the 7 or 8 of the 10 best.

You'd guess right considering Michael Jordan was also 34-35 in that 97 and 98 Finals series. Lebron on the other hand was much younger than the aged Spurs players being brought up here.

Lol at the 2012 Thunder being better than every finals opponent Jordan face. Just another example of ignorant incorrect hot takes.

MJ was the one after the 1993 season who needed time off cause he was physically and mentally drained (his own words). You don't think his time away from the game didn't help him heal his mind and body for the 96-98 run?

Yes he needed the time away. What exactly does this have to do with my post though? If you're trying to say MJ had an advantage for taking a break unlike Malone and Stockton then you're wrong because by 1997 he was already fully back with a full season under his belt. Heck 2 counting the 1997 season so that's no excuse, and 1998 adds a third one by the time those playoffs rolled around.

There's 0 excuses. The Jazz played hard and were extremely tough despite the teams stars stars being in their 30s just like Jordan and Pippen was. Also Pippen wasn't 100% so that also strengthens how much that 1998 win means to his legacy.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#563 » by Drygon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:15 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
Drygon wrote:Here's context in all of LeBron's' 9 NBA Finals appearances (2007-2018)...

You know someone's shook AF when they're claiming the 2016 Warriors were "crippled"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

- Steph Curry (MCL-sprain)
- Andre Bogut (Knee injury)
- Andre Iguodala (Back spasm)

If that's not a crippled GSW team when 3 of their key players got injuries, then I don't know what to say...

People always discredit Raptors' NBA Championship 2019 for the very same logic.

Or do you not keeping the same energy because it would diminish LeBron's legacy?
Freighttrain
Analyst
And1: 7,080

Post#564 » by Freighttrain » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Let's all take a deep breathe and enjoy this great video lmao. NBA desktop nailed this.

Read on Twitter
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,384

Post#565 » by The4thHorseman » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Drygon wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:
Drygon wrote:Here's context in all of LeBron's' 9 NBA Finals appearances (2007-2018)...

You know someone's shook AF when they're claiming the 2016 Warriors were "crippled"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If that's not a crippled GSW team when 3 of their key players got injuries, then I don't know what to say...

Or do you not keeping the same energy because it would diminish LeBron's legacy?

Curry was doing 360 dunks in the layup line before games. Nobody said a word about his injury after his game 4 when he put up 38pts in 40mins of play. All the talk was if the Warriors would have to come back to Cleveland or not for a game 6. No mention of injuries until after the fact. Plus, If Curry was so injured, then why give Kyrie so much credit for the series when he was being guarded by an "alleged" gimp?

If Bogut was such a crucial part of winning, then why did he only avg. 18MP against OKC in the 7gm series prior?

Iggy played 38mins in game 7. If he was in so much pain, then why play him at all? Draymond put up 32-15-9 in game 7. That didn't make up fora few others having sub-par games???

Not saying the dudes were 100% but to call them "crippled by injuries" is just complete exaggeration.
Alize
Senior
And1: 283

Post#566 » by Alize » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:47 pm

You clearly dont know what to say, so just stop it.
Drygon wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:

magicsanta
Rookie
And1: 77

Post#567 » by magicsanta » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:59 pm

deneem4 wrote:If Lebron 3 peated in Miami he might have a chance but Jordan did it twice that’s the difference regardless
How many players won 3 times in a row twice

ummm just seven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_players_with_most_championships
A lonesome morning
Alize
Senior

Post#568 » by Alize » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:25 pm

How many players won on 3 different teams as the star leader?
magicsanta wrote:
deneem4 wrote:If Lebron 3 peated in Miami he might have a chance but Jordan did it twice that’s the difference regardless
How many players won 3 times in a row twice

ummm just seven

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_players_with_most_championships

JoeyLightYears
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,536

Post#569 » by JoeyLightYears » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:09 pm

This is good stuff. You are truly the Air Judden of LeBron haters.
Brofessor24
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#570 » by Brofessor24 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:12 pm

King James is my GOAT.

Also he is more interesting/likable than MJ IMO. I had no interest in watching The Last Dance.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#571 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Chandan wrote:MJ was almost mystical.

Everything the guy did was unique and one of a kind. Shoes, retirement, gambling, all that ****... :lol: 8-)
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#572 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 pm

homecourtloss wrote:

2016 faced “crippled and unhealthy team.” :lol: :lol: That seems real objective :lol:

Mmm, considering both Harden and RW's tendencies and the way they play ball, talent is not all. Stockton to me is better than both Harden and Westbrook ever were.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,762

Post#573 » by nikster » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:48 pm

JoeyLightYears wrote:

This is good stuff. You are truly the Air Judden of LeBron haters.

Some of them are ridiculous. Like leading his team in turnovers in 2015 is supposed to be a negative? It's so dumb it's almost comical

Edit: they actually critiziced him for not scoring the last 30 seconds of game 1. Holy hell this is dumb.
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#574 » by PMONSTER » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:05 pm

If you put 35 year old Mike on the this year's Heat team, I believe Heat win in 6 or 7.

... and I'm talking about with the injuries the Heat had
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#575 » by Dmagic » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:33 am

only way lebron can become the goat is by playing alot better than jordan did in his final years up to 40yo
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#576 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:49 am

Okay, I gotta number everyone can agree upon.
6/12
Six for 12. That would Tie the number of Chips MJ has. And DOUBLE the amount of times MJ has been to the finals.
Bron gets a 6/12, he will be universally, and un questioned GOAT.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Alize
Senior

Post#577 » by Alize » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:06 pm

Lol
FlatearthZorro wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

2016 faced “crippled and unhealthy team.” That seems real objective

Mmm, considering both Harden and RW's tendencies and the way they play ball, talent is not all. Stockton to me is better than both Harden and Westbrook ever were.

Alize
Senior

Post#578 » by Alize » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Stockton better than Harden and Westbrook? Harden is basically doing the things that MJ did (elite scoring and breaking scoring records, scoring champ....) but without winning the title.

But John Stockton is better.

FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#579 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:19 pm

Alize wrote:Stockton better than Harden and Westbrook? Harden is basically doing the things that MJ did (elite scoring and breaking scoring records, scoring champ....) but without winning the title.

But John Stockton is better.

Harden does not play a winning brand of basketball( winning titles), and he doesn't play any defense. Barring a miracle, I don't see Harden winning a title or reaching the Finals. Westbrook has won 1 playoff series since KD left. He's lost 2 in which his team was favored. He's had multiple playoff games with 30+ shots and shooting <.400 from the field. His b-ball IQ is really, really low.
Good assessment:

Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Post#580 » by Homer38 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board