David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

BaffLer
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,351

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#21 » by BaffLer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Aww, this thread just made me think about Bosh again and how much I miss him. Such a shame. His game would have been PERFECT for this era.

At least he ended his career with 2 titles. :love:
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,807

Post#22 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:36 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:Image

I enjoy how the ball comes back and bops him when he's down
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#23 » by imDatknicksTape » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 pm

says the loser who waived $14 mil to cot-tail his way to a ring.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,268

Post#24 » by D.Brasco » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Bosh would have been good playing today but mentally he was never going to be the #1 guy on a team he just didn't want it, which is fine.

Bargani would be trash in probably any era of NBA history.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,495

Post#25 » by DaPessimist » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Still have to play defense. Bosh would be fine today. Bargnani would still be hot trash.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#26 » by draftnightsuit » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Pharenheit wrote:
donnieme wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:He's not wrong. There's probably a lot of guys who were known as soft yesteryear that would feast in today's NBA

This is a myth. Kevin Love for example didn't have his value increase. Shooting 3s isn't only what makes this era, it's also about being able to guard multiple wing positions. Guys like Bargnani are no longer unicorns for shooting 3s

From a perspective of players not allowed to be tough and physical like they used to he's spot on

2000s players are just mimicking what the players of the ‘80s and ‘90s said about them:

- “physically”
- “handchecking”
- “I would average [insert inflated PPG] in today’s NBA”

This might become a tradition for every generation. Once they’ve been retired for 5+ years, they can start waxing poetic about how much “tuffer” their era was.

It’s all complete, absolute BS... but hey, I guess it’s apart of NBA culture now.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,459

Post#27 » by Jcity08 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Bargnani's heart was never in it, in the NBA.

He was also forced into a role he never should have been because of the nature of him being a 1st overall pick.

He was also a big that struggled to get 5 boards most nights.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,163

Post#28 » by Frank Dux » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Bargs? nah.

Bosh? definitely. Great team defender, great defending the pick and roll. Excellent jump shooter. he would be an amazing modern 4/5.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,721

Post#29 » by naabzor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Bargnani was a small forward in Europe and was very thin and agile. Then Toronto selected him, destroyed the only traits that supposedly made him a unicorn and have him playing center. Awful work by the raptors.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,123

Post#30 » by gp2015 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:50 pm

naabzor wrote:Bargnani was a small forward in Europe and was very thin and agile. Then Toronto selected him, destroyed the only traits that supposedly made him a unicorn and have him playing center. Awful work by the raptors.

Did the Raptors destroy his ability to play defense, rebound or play hard too?

Did the Raptors take away his desire to get better?
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
gp2015
RealGM

Post#31 » by gp2015 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Bargnani is an awful player in any era. Can't play defense, can't rebound and has no heart.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,721

Post#32 » by naabzor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm

gp2015 wrote:
naabzor wrote:Bargnani was a small forward in Europe and was very thin and agile. Then Toronto selected him, destroyed the only traits that supposedly made him a unicorn and have him playing center. Awful work by the raptors.

Those things were never what made him special. I am OK that he should have done more but you have a small forward playing center in the nba that's A recipe for disaster
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#33 » by draftnightsuit » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:54 pm

What exactly does Bargnani do better than Lauri Markannen? Because Markannen isn’t blowing the league out of the water.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#34 » by Danny1616 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:55 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:Vince Carter: D. Jordan is nets 3rd big star....these retired guys are on something

Biggest misconception from fans is that somehow former NBA players must be smart guys that know everything about basketball. We tend to romanticize players once they retire and act like they are much better and more knowledgeable then they actually are.

I was perplexed when Arenas started a podcast a year ago and people were tuning in acting like Arenas is some basketball savant who knows everything when Arenas is a certified lunatic. I was even seeing comments on his videos that if Arenas played today he would be better than Curry.

News flash: Some NBA players are pretty stupid and don't that much about true basketball analysis, scouting, player development etc.

Pierce is an all-time great but we've seen him make some of the most stupid hot takes in television history.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#35 » by gp2015 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:58 pm

naabzor wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Those things were never what made him special. I am OK that he should have done more but you have a small forward playing center in the nba that's A recipe for disaster

What made his special? He was a big that could shoot somewhat. That's about it. He wasn't even a great shooter, he was just good. Not even that efficient either.

Then you have his weaknesses and that doesn't translate to a good player at any position - bad defense, bad bbiq, doesn't rebound, can't create for others.

I can't imagine him even trying to guard some of the small forwards in the league.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,459

Post#36 » by Jcity08 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 pm

naabzor wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

His draft combine he was a 250lb PF/C.

KP had 2 inches on Bargs and was 20lbs lighter and even he wasn't a SF.

In no way was Bargs ever suited to playing the SF position.

And everything I can find about his Euro career shows he was a PF/C over there too.

Where the Raptors **** up was picking him up with their 1st pick and trying to make him the first option/franchise player after Bosh left, which he was never suited for. Its arguable if he was ever a 2nd option either.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,464

Post#37 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 pm

The David West horrible takes just keep on coming I see.

There is nothing about Bargnani's game that shows he would thrive let alone blow away the NBA. Not once in Bargnani's career did he ever average at least 10 boards per 100, just to repeat that, Im not speaking per game, per 100. His career per 36 for rebounds is 5.8. So he is a horrific rebounder, brings zero rim protection and overall horrible defender.

When it comes to the offensive side, he has more career turnovers than assists and a career average of 1.2 assists per game, so other words he is a complete zero when it comes to being a facilitating big. What about scoring, there was a couple seasons when he was putting up 19-20 ppg. For his career the average TS% for the NBA was 54%, Bargnani's career TS% is 53%.

So inefficient scorer, horrible facilitator, horrific rebounder and bad defender with no rim protection. Ya David West that guy would blow away the NBA...
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#38 » by OGLife » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 pm

For all the positives Barg could bring on offense, I'd rather give it to Bosh. Barg couldn't play yesterday, today or tomorrow
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#39 » by Danny1616 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:The David West horrible takes just keep on coming I see.

There is nothing about Bargnani's game that shows he would thrive let alone blow away the NBA. Not once in Bargnani's career did he ever average at least 10 boards per 100, just to repeat that, Im not speaking per game, per 100. His career per 36 for rebounds is 5.8. So he is a horrific rebounder, brings zero rim protection and overall horrible defender.

When it comes to the offensive side, he has more career turnovers than assists and a career average of 1.2 assists per game, so other words he is a complete zero when it comes to being a facilitating big. What about scoring, there was a couple seasons when he was putting up 19-20 ppg. For his career the average TS% for the NBA was 54%, Bargnani's career TS% is 53%.

So inefficient scorer, horrible facilitator, horrific rebounder and bad defender with no rim protection. Ya David West that guy would blow away the NBA...

Exactly.

As a Raptors fan everything you say is 100% true. Bargnani was a very flawed player who wouldn't be great in any era. He put up empty stats on one of the worst teams in the league at the time where he was the #1 option. He was overrated as a shooter as well and only shot above 37% from 3 once his career so for a 3 point shooting big he wasn't even that big of a threat from the outside.

Imo, Bargnani is most suited as a 6th man playing 15-20 minutes a night who can provide some scoring power the bench. He's kind of like a Kelly Olynyk type player, but Olynyk brings more intangibles than Bargnani did.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#40 » by jlokine » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 pm

plays like these are why bargnani is out of the league..

Return to The General Board