ImageImageImageImageImage

It Was All a Dream: my vision for this offseason

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,829

Re: It Was All a Dream: my vision for this offseason 

Post#21 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:05 am

why would we trade Dinwiddie/Allen for the #2 pick? we need veteran win now players. That trade doesn't make us any better in the short term, which is what we need to be thinking about considering the window that we have right now is very slim.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:08 am

Paradise wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Why would we trade Dinwiddie/Allen for the #2 pick in this awful draft?

Who exactly is going to help us next season in the playoffs? Lamelo Ball? No thank you.

I’d like to remind everyone Dinwiddie hit the game winner over AD in the last professional sports game with fans against the current champions in LA.

It's as if people think the guys that we have on the roster can't play or something. We have one of the best backcourts in the league.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#23 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:16 am

Packers+NetsWIN wrote:My ideal, realistic off-season doesn't have too many moves. First, it does include the following trade:

Nets receive: Kelly Oubre Jr., Cameron Johnson, and Elie Okobo.

Suns receive: Spencer Dinwiddie, Taurean Prince, Džanan Musa, and Brooklyn's 2nd round pick in 2020 draft (#55 overall). Also willing to throw in a lottery protected 1st round pick in the 2021 draft if necessary to complete the deal.

As much as I don't want to watch Dinwiddie in another uniform next season, unless he experiences an injury, he will decline his player option after this upcoming season and I anticipate he will sign a lucrative contract (at least 20M per year). That is a lot too pay at the point guard position in combination with Irving's salary. It also allows LeVert to be the main ball handler for the second unit, which after watching him operate as the main ball handler in the bubble I am confident this is a role he should thrive in. LeVert is also already locked up for the next 3 years which was a deciding factor. Furthermore, the Nets are able to get out of Prince's contract while finding a younger, better shooting, and cheaper player who is on a rookie scale contract in Cameron Johnson. The late second round pick in a weak draft and the lotto protected first rounder next year is nothing to fret over, just added incentive for the Suns. And Musa, as much as I have been rooting for him since he first was drafted by the Nets, has not shown much development/progress in the chances he has received and ultimately I think it's time to move on. He unfortunately wouldn't be getting much playing time on this ready-to-compete roster anyways. The Suns may find a role for him.

Reason the Nets do this: the Nets get a point guard prospect in Okobo who the Nets were rumored to be interested in the draft 2 years ago. He is a cost controlled, young player with potential at the point guard position to develop between the Nets and the G-League. Cameron Johnson would be great in this offense as he is an elite shooter from his college days and last year with the Suns. And again, he is a young, cost controlled player who showed promise on defense in his first season. Lastly, Kelly Oubre is a talented scorer who can help take some of the relief off of KD and Kyrie. He is also an expiring contract so next off-season, if the Nets decide to keep him they will have his bird rights and he should be less expensive that Dinwiddie. And if they decide against it, they can him walk and clear cap space since the Nets will be operating over the luxury tax.

Reasons the Suns do this: the Suns get the most talented player in this deal in Dinwiddie, who I think would thrive next to Devin Booker as both can play on and off the ball and compliment each other very well with Dinwiddie's passing skills and ability to drive. The Suns are also one of the few teams that can offer the contract that Dinwiddie is likely looking for in free agency next year. Prince offers the Suns a player with potential to be 3&D player if he can return to his shooting percentages from his days in Atlanta. He can play both forwards spots while starting or coming off the bench and his contract only has 2 years on it if they quickly want to move on from him. Maybe a change of scenery does Musa good, if not the Suns are no worse off having him on the end of their to see if they can develop him. Lastly, as mentioned earlier, the 2nd rounder this year and the lotto protected 1st rounder next year are added incentive.

Add this trade with the following off-season moves:
1.) Resign Joe Harris for 13-16M per year
+Management has already made it clear that Joe Harris is their #1 off-season priority
2.) Resign Tyler Johnson use MLE
+Johnson played very well in the bubble and we know Marks admires his game after signing him for the bubble and offering him a large contract four years ago.
3.) Resign Jamal Crawford and Andre Roberson to minimum deals
+Rumors are Nets are interested in resigning Crawford and he was be a good veteran addition to the team. Roberson is obviously known for his defensive skills and has played with Durant before
4.) Decline Garrett Temple's team option
+Temple only shot 32.9% from three in his first season with the Nets. He is also the second oldest player on the squad after Crawford. Is the poor shooting a sign of regression given his age?
5.) Use the 19th pick in the NBA draft on Desmond Bane, G/F, TCU
+Bane seems like a great fit to fill out the roster around ball handlers like Irving, Durant, and LeVert as he is a good defender and shooter. He was a 43.3% three point shooter in his four years of college. Key phrases in his scouting report were "runs the floor well and plays extremely hard", "an intelligent offensive player", and "allowed 0.54 points per one-on-one possession [88th percentile] as he is tough at the point of attack".
https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/desmond-bane#/

Nets 2020-2021 roster:
Kyrie Irving/Caris LeVert/Jamal Crawford
Joe Harris/Tyler Johnson/T. Luwawu-Cabarrot
Kelly Oubre Jr./Desmond Bane/Andre Roberson
Kevin Durant/Cameron Johnson/Rodions Kurucs
DeAndre Jordan/Jarret Allen/Nicolas Claxton
Two way players: Chirs Chiozza was solid in the bubble and Elie Okobo for developmental purposes.

Irving and Durant will carry the starters with Harris's elite shooting spreading the floor, Oubre helping in the scoring department if KD and Irving are injured or resting, and Jordan patrolling the pain. On the second unit, LeVert is surrounded by 3 great shooters in the Johnsons and Bane. And Allen can patrol the pain on the 2nd unit. Lastly, the third unit has a good mix of leadership in Crawford, defense in Roberson, and young prospects in Kurucs, TLC, and Claxton. I think the off-season moves I laid out does a good job of keeping the team competitive while at the same time keeping the luxury tax in mind. Let me know your thoughts.

I'm not a fan of using the MLE on Johnson, as much as I like him.

Also, I'm not big on Oubre Jr. He's not a very good defender at all and we ideally want a wing that can take up the tough match ups.

Bane is an interesting prospect, but it's hard to gauge how much rookies will contribute early on. Guys like Tyler Herro are the outliers.

Packers+NetsWIN
Junior
And1: 75

Post#24 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:01 am

Prokorov wrote:
Packers+NetsWIN wrote:My ideal, realistic off-season doesn't have too many moves. First, it does include the following trade:

Suns receive: Spencer Dinwiddie, Taurean Prince, Džanan Musa, and Brooklyn's 2nd round pick in 2020 draft (#55 overall). Also willing to throw in a lottery protected 1st round pick in the 2021 draft if necessary to complete the deal.

I do not understand this for the suns. They have Rubio on a longterm deal. Oubre is a similar level player to dinwiddie. why are they adding cameron johnson? value and fit are both issues here for the suns

Rubio only has two years left on his contract, so I wouldn't exactly consider that a "longterm deal" as you claim. Also Rubio is almost three years older than Dinwiddie and nowhere near the scorer that Dinwiddie is. Plus, it's not like Dinwiddie isn't used to being the sixth man or Rubio being unable to claim the 6th man role if Dinwiddie becomes the starter. The Suns don't have the issue that the Nets do with a player like LeVert being a much more effective player with the ball in his hands. So the Suns, if they decide to keep Rubio after acquiring Dinwiddie, just improved their point guard rotation drastically.

Additionally, per ESPN, Dinwiddie had a 17.90 PER, value added of 205.4, and estimated wins added of 6.8. Oubre only had a 15.01 PER, value added of 130.0, and estimated wins added of only 4.3. I'm sure most would agree with me that Dinwiddie is the better player when compared to Oubre, and I personally like Oubre which is why I'm advocating for this trade. And I don't see your point on arguing about fit as Rubio and Dinwiddie vastly improve the point guard spot and the Suns already have Oubre's replacement on their roster in the form of former lottery pick Mikal Bridges, who showed a lot of growth in his second year. And to hedge their risk even further if Bridges doesn't develop as well as they hope, they are receiving Prince from the Nets who can act a stopgap at the position until they find a new player. Plus they have the #10 pick in this draft where they will likely take a forward since the guard position is weak in this draft. So to answer you question, the Suns are adding Cameron Johnson to balance out the fact they are receiving two additional draft picks from the Nets and the most talented player in the deal in Dinwiddie. Cameron Johnson is already 24 years after having played 1 year, so I'd have to believe the Suns don't think is ceiling is extremely high that they'd be completely unwilling to give him up to obtain a player of Dinwiddie's caliber. But Johnson's three point shooting and defensive ability would be invaluable for a win now team like the Nets.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior

Post#25 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:17 am

MrDollarBills wrote:

As much as I don't want to watch Dinwiddie in another uniform next season, unless he experiences an injury, he will decline his player option after this upcoming season and I anticipate he will sign a lucrative contract (at least 20M per year). That is a lot too pay at the point guard position in combination with Irving's salary. It also allows LeVert to be the main ball handler for the second unit, which after watching him operate as the main ball handler in the bubble I am confident this is a role he should thrive in. LeVert is also already locked up for the next 3 years which was a deciding factor. Furthermore, the Nets are able to get out of Prince's contract while finding a younger, better shooting, and cheaper player who is on a rookie scale contract in Cameron Johnson. The late second round pick in a weak draft and the lotto protected first rounder next year is nothing to fret over, just added incentive for the Suns. And Musa, as much as I have been rooting for him since he first was drafted by the Nets, has not shown much development/progress in the chances he has received and ultimately I think it's time to move on. He unfortunately wouldn't be getting much playing time on this ready-to-compete roster anyways. The Suns may find a role for him.

Reason the Nets do this: the Nets get a point guard prospect in Okobo who the Nets were rumored to be interested in the draft 2 years ago. He is a cost controlled, young player with potential at the point guard position to develop between the Nets and the G-League. Cameron Johnson would be great in this offense as he is an elite shooter from his college days and last year with the Suns. And again, he is a young, cost controlled player who showed promise on defense in his first season. Lastly, Kelly Oubre is a talented scorer who can help take some of the relief off of KD and Kyrie. He is also an expiring contract so next off-season, if the Nets decide to keep him they will have his bird rights and he should be less expensive that Dinwiddie. And if they decide against it, they can him walk and clear cap space since the Nets will be operating over the luxury tax.

Reasons the Suns do this: the Suns get the most talented player in this deal in Dinwiddie, who I think would thrive next to Devin Booker as both can play on and off the ball and compliment each other very well with Dinwiddie's passing skills and ability to drive. The Suns are also one of the few teams that can offer the contract that Dinwiddie is likely looking for in free agency next year. Prince offers the Suns a player with potential to be 3&D player if he can return to his shooting percentages from his days in Atlanta. He can play both forwards spots while starting or coming off the bench and his contract only has 2 years on it if they quickly want to move on from him. Maybe a change of scenery does Musa good, if not the Suns are no worse off having him on the end of their to see if they can develop him. Lastly, as mentioned earlier, the 2nd rounder this year and the lotto protected 1st rounder next year are added incentive.

Add this trade with the following off-season moves:
1.) Resign Joe Harris for 13-16M per year
+Management has already made it clear that Joe Harris is their #1 off-season priority
2.) Resign Tyler Johnson use MLE
+Johnson played very well in the bubble and we know Marks admires his game after signing him for the bubble and offering him a large contract four years ago.
3.) Resign Jamal Crawford and Andre Roberson to minimum deals
+Rumors are Nets are interested in resigning Crawford and he was be a good veteran addition to the team. Roberson is obviously known for his defensive skills and has played with Durant before
4.) Decline Garrett Temple's team option
+Temple only shot 32.9% from three in his first season with the Nets. He is also the second oldest player on the squad after Crawford. Is the poor shooting a sign of regression given his age?
5.) Use the 19th pick in the NBA draft on Desmond Bane, G/F, TCU
+Bane seems like a great fit to fill out the roster around ball handlers like Irving, Durant, and LeVert as he is a good defender and shooter. He was a 43.3% three point shooter in his four years of college. Key phrases in his scouting report were "runs the floor well and plays extremely hard", "an intelligent offensive player", and "allowed 0.54 points per one-on-one possession [88th percentile] as he is tough at the point of attack".
https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/desmond-bane#/

Nets 2020-2021 roster:
Kyrie Irving/Caris LeVert/Jamal Crawford
Joe Harris/Tyler Johnson/T. Luwawu-Cabarrot
Kelly Oubre Jr./Desmond Bane/Andre Roberson
Kevin Durant/Cameron Johnson/Rodions Kurucs
DeAndre Jordan/Jarret Allen/Nicolas Claxton
Two way players: Chirs Chiozza was solid in the bubble and Elie Okobo for developmental purposes.

Irving and Durant will carry the starters with Harris's elite shooting spreading the floor, Oubre helping in the scoring department if KD and Irving are injured or resting, and Jordan patrolling the pain. On the second unit, LeVert is surrounded by 3 great shooters in the Johnsons and Bane. And Allen can patrol the pain on the 2nd unit. Lastly, the third unit has a good mix of leadership in Crawford, defense in Roberson, and young prospects in Kurucs, TLC, and Claxton. I think the off-season moves I laid out does a good job of keeping the team competitive while at the same time keeping the luxury tax in mind. Let me know your thoughts.

I'm not a fan of using the MLE on Johnson, as much as I like him.

Also, I'm not big on Oubre Jr. He's not a very good defender at all and we ideally want a wing that can take up the tough match ups.

Bane is an interesting prospect, but it's hard to gauge how much rookies will contribute early on. Guys like Tyler Herro are the outliers.

I understand the hesitancy on using the MLE on johnson, and that's a fair point. I was just trying to be conservative in my offseason list and think there is a realistic chance the Nets can get him back for the minimum or slightly above it.

And I know Oubre has not been a strong defender in his career, but he has shown good potential as a scorer and he has the physically ability to be a capable defender at 6'7". Remember he is only 24 so he is still young enough to learn defense. Also keep in mind that he has been with the Suns and Wizards, two teams that have not sure a propensity for defense in the past. So hopefully playing with elite scorers like KD and Irving allows him to exert more focus and energy on the defensive end.

And with Bane, again in my realistic approach to the off-season, Bane is someone I definitely believe will be there for the Nets when they are on the clock. As many people have stated on this forum, Bane appears to know his limitations and does very well to playing to his strengths. These strengths include elite shooting, playing team defense, and playing at a high IQ. Three important traits for a win now team even when there may be other prospects with a higher ceiling.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#26 » by darmani » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:43 am

This is not realistic at all. Oubre for Dinwiddie swap is bad for the Suns. Adding Prince, Musa and Cam Johnson to the deal makes it absolutely horrendous.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#27 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:18 am

Good news everyone!

Last night I had an actual dream we traded for Beal! Or maybe it was Harden?

**Disclaimer: I’ve had many weird Nets dreams and none have ever come true.**
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior

Post#28 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:23 pm

darmani wrote:

This is not realistic at all. Oubre for Dinwiddie swap is bad for the Suns. Adding Prince, Musa and Cam Johnson to the deal makes it absolutely horrendous.

What exactly is unrealistic about this? Please be specific as you didn't give any evidence, reasonings, or facts to support your opinions. You are obviously entitled to your opinions but I don't how you would like me to respond to them.

Also, my trade could not have been that far off the mark as a Suns contributor wrote the following article 8 weeks ago suggesting a trade that bears a similar resemblance to mine (basically the only difference in mine is the Suns keep their first round pick, the 10th overall, and the Nets add in a second round pick along with Musa in order to include Cameron Johnson in the trade).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/valleyofthesuns.com/2020/08/18/phoenix-suns-perfect-realistic-trade/amp/

For anyone who cannot open the link, the Suns contributor suggests this trade:

SUNS GET:
SPENCER DINWIDDIE
TAUREAN PRINCE
2020 FIRST-ROUND PICK

NETS GET:
KELLY OUBRE
JALEN LECQUE
2020 FIRST-ROUND PICK
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#29 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:53 pm

darmani wrote:

Exactly.

and not to belittle any of the ideas being put forth here, because I know everyone's intentions are in the right place, but I always say this: if you're going to propose a trade deal, think about the why.

Why would team X want to trade for these players on our team? That should be the question. I see zero incentive for the Suns to do that. Dinwiddie is not on a controlled deal, he can opt out and leave. Taurean Prince did not have a good season overall last year (albeit, I am a firm believer that playing in our full line up, he will thrive as a floor space and individual defender). Why would anyone want to trade for him? Oubre Jr., as much as I'm not high on him, is a better player than Prince is.

I keep telling yall, if you guys don't like Taurean Prince and Musa, why would another team want them?

A trade is a two way dance. Most GMs aren't idiots, they know the data on these players and their contract situations. Most fans can take a look at the way our fans talk about Prince -and- Dinwiddie and then ask "well why the hell would I want them?". That's why I poo poo on literally 98% of the trades being posted on our forum, because the people doing it never take into account the other's side's perspective in a negotiation. If I was the Suns GM and Sean Marks called me with this offer, especially coming off of how good Phoenix looked in those bubble games with their current squad, I would hang the phone up.

Packers+NetsWIN
Junior

Post#30 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:50 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
darmani wrote:

Exactly.

and not to belittle any of the ideas being put forth here, because I know everyone's intentions are in the right place, but I always say this: if you're going to propose a trade deal, think about the why.

Why would team X want to trade for these players on our team? That should be the question. I see zero incentive for the Suns to do that. Dinwiddie is not on a controlled deal, he can opt out and leave. Taurean Prince did not have a good season overall last year (albeit, I am a firm believer that playing in our full line up, he will thrive as a floor space and individual defender). Why would anyone want to trade for him? Oubre Jr., as much as I'm not high on him, is a better player than Prince is.

I keep telling yall, if you guys don't like Taurean Prince and Musa, why would another team want them?

A trade is a two way dance. Most GMs aren't idiots, they know the data on these players and their contract situations. Most fans can take a look at the way our fans talk about Prince -and- Dinwiddie and then ask "well why the hell would I want them?". That's why I poo poo on literally 98% of the trades being posted on our forum, because the people doing it never take into account the other's side's perspective in a negotiation. If I was the Suns GM and Sean Marks called me with this offer, especially coming off of how good Phoenix looked in those bubble games with their current squad, I would hang the phone up.

I don't know if you read my initial post in his entirety because I literally put the following in to explain the reasons why the Suns would do it:

"Reasons the Suns do this: the Suns get the most talented player in this deal in Dinwiddie, who I think would thrive next to Devin Booker as both can play on and off the ball and compliment each other very well with Dinwiddie's passing skills and ability to drive. The Suns are also one of the few teams that can offer the contract that Dinwiddie is likely looking for in free agency next year. Prince offers the Suns a player with potential to be 3&D player if he can return to his shooting percentages from his days in Atlanta. He can play both forwards spots while starting or coming off the bench and his contract only has 2 years on it if they quickly want to move on from him. Maybe a change of scenery does Musa good, if not the Suns are no worse off having him on the end of their to see if they can develop him. Lastly, as mentioned earlier, the 2nd rounder this year and the lotto protected 1st rounder next year are added incentive."

And you raised the point of Dinwiddie being on a 1 year contract. You do realize Oubre is on a 1 year also correct? So who do you think the Suns would want to extend at big money: (option #1) Dinwiddie next offseason when Rubio will be 30 years old and only have 1 year left on his contract, or (option #2) Oubre when they have a former 10th overall pick Mikal Bridges on a rookie contract who played great in the bubble (plus prince at SF spot who they get in this deal)? Option #1 definitely sounds like the better plan for the Suns GM
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#31 » by DarkXaero » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:05 pm

darmani wrote:

No offense, but an Oubre for Dinwiddie swap is bad for the Nets too. Dinwiddie is comfortably the better player between the two, and they're both on expiring deals. Problem is that Oubre seems far more likely to chase a big payday while Dinwiddie is the type more inclined to take a pay cut, as evidenced by his current contract.
Packers+NetsWIN
Junior

Post#32 » by Packers+NetsWIN » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
darmani wrote:

No offense, but an Oubre for Dinwiddie swap is bad for the Nets too. Dinwiddie is comfortably the better player between the two, and they're both on expiring deals. Problem is that Oubre seems far more likely to chase a big payday while Dinwiddie is the type more inclined to take a pay cut, as evidenced by his current contract.

No need to say no offense, it's all good. And yes, I agree Dinwiddie is the better player (and in an ideal world the Nets would lock him up to a long-term deal and he'd be a Net for the rest of his career). But this is why I'm asking for Cameron Johnson, who I think would be a great fit on the Nets and currently has 3 more years on a rookie scale contract. He makes up the difference for me.

But I'm of the mindset of 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst'. So the following thoughts ran through my mind: keep Dinwiddie and there is a chance the Nets lose him next year for nothing. I don't like that obviously, so now how do the Nets move him for an impact player? Oubre, who helps the nets on the wing (a position of need), is young, and is rumored to be on the trade market since the Suns already have his replacement in Mikal Bridges. Moving Dinwiddie for Oubre also puts LeVert in his ideal role of the main ball handler of the second unit. All sounds good to me. But now another problem presents itself (worse case scenario again), Oubre leaves next offseason for nothing. That is why the nets make sure cameron Johnson is included in the trade so they have a young asset on a cost controlled contract that fits in perfectly next to KD and Kyrie.

In a salary cap-less NBA, I'd love to resign Joe Harris, Jarrett Allen, and Dinwiddie to big contracts and keep moving along. But unfortunately concessions need to be made in today's NBA. So knowing worst case scenario the Nets have Cameron Johnson on the roster for a minimum of next 3 years and Oubre for a minimum of the next NBA season is good enough for me weighing it against just having Dinwiddie for a minimum of just next season and not maximizing Levert's role on the Nets to boot.

Return to Brooklyn Nets