Andrew Wiggins: turning straw into gold or always been a star in the making?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Warriors winning with Wiggins means:

The Warriors turned straw into gold.
14%
Wiggins was always going to be a star.
8%
He was just along for the ride.
78%

Total votes: 110

rtiff68
Veteran
And1: 3,709

Re: Andrew Wiggins: turning straw into gold or always been a star in the making? 

Post#21 » by rtiff68 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:54 pm

You know what’s going to be funny?

If Wiggins is useful as a rotational piece/role player, and GS storms back and has success, this board will be flushed with takes like this...

“How much help does that fraud Curry need? He loses former #2 overall pick Durant, and replaces him with #1 overall pick Wiggins!”
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,002

Re: Andrew Wiggins: turning straw into gold or always been a star in the making? 

Post#22 » by Loneshot » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Has there ever been a player that year after year people swear he's about to turn the corner and reach some untapped potential? Its getting ridiculous with Wiggins.
myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 226

Post#23 » by myrak433 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

I believe Wiggins is a good player. He is a true NBA talent. He is just not or should not be the #1 option on a team. The problem is he is getting paid like a # 1.

If he was drafted outside of the lottery and was making about half of what he is making, multiple teams would be looking for his services
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#24 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:47 pm

I guess I'm missing something...:(

.19 minute mark. I think I saw Wiggins snuff Jordon Poole on a jumper...?Who does that? Who in the league have you seen who has the ability to actually guard a smaller guard...then reach over the top to block the jumper? I've seen Wiggins do that a few times.

.27 minute mark. Reverse spin move right to the rim. Many seem to think that's some kind of gimmick. Who else does that?

1.18 mark. Those are poor handles???? I also saw him show very good handles in driving to the basket to get a point blank layup. He doesn't have good handles? He's a SF may I remind you. SF's include Rudy Gaye and others that often have pretty poor handles relative to guards.

I'm super high on Wiggins with the Warriors. And knowing the Warriors....they are going to support and promote the crap out of this guy. I know for sure they would prefer he be voted in as an all-star even if it met they don't get in.

[url][/url]
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#25 » by vxmike » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:I guess I'm missing something...:(

.19 minute mark. I think I saw Wiggins snuff Jordon Poole on a jumper...?Who does that? Who in the league have you seen who has the ability to actually guard a smaller guard...then reach over the top to block the jumper? I've seen Wiggins do that a few times.

.27 minute mark. Reverse spin move right to the rim. Many seem to think that's some kind of gimmick. Who else does that?

1.18 mark. Those are poor handles???? I also saw him show very good handles in driving to the basket to get a point blank layup. He doesn't have good handles? He's a SF may I remind you. SF's include Rudy Gaye and others that often have pretty poor handles relative to guards.

I'm super high on Wiggins with the Warriors. And knowing the Warriors....they are going to support and promote the crap out of this guy. I know for sure they would prefer he be voted in as an all-star even if it met they don't get in.

[url][/url]

He’s an incredible athlete and shows flashes of potential, but he’s demonstrated very little passion for the game or aptitude to play intelligent winning ball. He just kinda plays like a guy trudging into his factory job every day doing the minimum to get by.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#26 » by Warriorfan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:54 pm

It can be all 3 Wiggins is still young.
Gold for GS is winning a championship with Wiggins 3rd wheel.

When Curry and Thompson are in their mid 30's Wiggins will be entering his peak
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Post#27 » by cpower » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm

if we win with Wiggins it means he got injuried and could not play.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,668

Post#28 » by WarriorGM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:50 pm

vxmike wrote:He’s an incredible athlete and shows flashes of potential, but he’s demonstrated very little passion for the game or aptitude to play intelligent winning ball. He just kinda plays like a guy trudging into his factory job every day doing the minimum to get by.

Sounds like someone tired and overworked. By the way didn't he play under Thibodeau for most of his time in Minnesota?
Ilovethebay
Senior
And1: 166

Post#29 » by Ilovethebay » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:54 pm

Domejandro wrote:We all agree that D’Angelo Russell leans towards being overpaid, unless his production improves, right?

Very good. Now let’s remember that Minnesota traded a top three protected pick (which becomes unprotected) to turn Andrew Wiggins into D’Angelo Russell. Keep in mind, this only happened because Golden State ended up settling for this deal.

I watched the dude for six years, the concept of this thread is legitimately ludicrous. Best of luck to him, I hope he thrives in Golden State, but come on now.

Laugh now :D . I like Wiggins new situation better than Dlo's. The same system that resulted in Harrison Barnes getting massively overpaid may just make Wiggins deal just that much more palatable.This trade has the potential to be the worst in Minny history. The gambler in me hopes that the pick won't convey until 2022. Could you imagine the Warriors hoisting the championship trophy and getting the number pick in the same year :D :D . I know the odds of that are slim but one can dream.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 3,987

Post#30 » by vxmike » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:54 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
vxmike wrote:He’s an incredible athlete and shows flashes of potential, but he’s demonstrated very little passion for the game or aptitude to play intelligent winning ball. He just kinda plays like a guy trudging into his factory job every day doing the minimum to get by.

Sounds like someone tired and overworked. By the way didn't he play under Thibodeau for most of his time in Minnesota?

He was equally as sluggish before and after Thibs in Minnesota. He plays like a guy who was pushed into basketball because of his size and athleticism, not a guy who loves basketball. He’s the kind of guy that’ll retire at 30 once he can’t score a big contract anymore.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Post#31 » by Jcity08 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 pm

K4P wrote:Is Pat McCaw a star in the making?

Patrick Andrew McCaw is a 3 time champion and only came off the 3 peat a little under a year & a half ago.

Put some respect on his name!

/s

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,498

Post#32 » by GregOden » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 pm

iamworthy wrote:Ask yourself the same question except change the team the lakers and change the player to kuzma. What did you come up with?

You might be overselling Wiggins by comparing him to Kuzma. If they can do a 1 for 1 swap and salaries aren't a thing I think the Warriors takes it.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,498

Post#33 » by GregOden » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:16 pm

rtiff68 wrote:You know what’s going to be funny?

If Wiggins is useful as a rotational piece/role player, and GS storms back and has success, this board will be flushed with takes like this...

“How much help does that fraud Curry need? He loses former #2 overall pick Durant, and replaces him with #1 overall pick Wiggins!”

No funnier than the Harden narrative changing if he suddenly starts winning titles. Anyone can make up some what-ifs.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#34 » by gorz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Context is everything..ppl say hes terrible bc hes being compared to former #1 picks but if he was a 2nd rd pick he would be an overachiever. His only real asset is his scoring albeit not efficient however avgersging +20ppg in the league for the season requires talent and skill. His main issue is mental he was never an alpha and was never going to live up to the hype of a #1 pick but now in golden st he can play a complimentary role which fits his personality.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#35 » by soxfan2003 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Wiggins still has the talent to be a star player in terms of impact but the odds of him making it are low but the Golden State Warriors situation is close to an ideal situation. MN was a bad situation for him.

With the Warriors, he has to improve as a shooter and what better team to try to do it with then a team with Curry/Klay that is coached by Kerr. You are talking 3 of the best shooters in NBA history.

The other thing Wiggins brings to the table is he had some relative success against Lebron albeit in a bunch of meaningless games. Wiggins is obviously far from Lebron but Wiggins has enough athleticism and wiry strength that he isn't really intimidated by Lebron. While he will never be Iggy on defense, he did play better defense with the Warriors and may be able to crank it up even a little bit more.

If I am the Warriors, I am keeping Wiggins and only packaging him with picks for a player that I realistically can't get right now like Giannis.

I will say this Warriors go nowhere without Green and Wiggins playing well or at least some major frontcourt help.

Wiggins has for sure not come close to living up to the #1 pick. He would have been picked 2nd or 3rd if Embiid was healthy. But at the same time, he is better than some advanced stats suggest. Those advanced stats don't really reward him for playing tons of minutes. Playing less minutes should allow him to play harder in the minutes he does play.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,723

Post#36 » by Woodsanity » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Basically a pile of dung left the dung heap and landed on a pile of gold.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,723

Post#37 » by Woodsanity » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:58 pm

youOK wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:If Wiggins had Butler’s motor he’d be an all star level talent.

But he doesn’t.

He also lacks either the requisite ball-handling or shooting skills that the top guys have. His only elite tool is his athleticism. He's much closer to 2015 DeRozan versus a Jimmy Butler or Paul George.

Basically a homeless version of 2015 Derozan tbh. :noway:

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,622

Post#38 » by PlatinumState » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Cant fix what was never there. Wiggs never had the drive to become great, he's content with being just ok
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#39 » by killmongrel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:14 pm

If your take is that Wiggins is going to suck because he sucked in a sucky organization like the Wolves, then you might be in for a surprise. If Wiggins can just be a good role player, then he will be worth his overpriced salary for a team that didn't have the means to get somebody else due to the capspace. Don't know why this is so difficult for some to understand.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#40 » by iamworthy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 pm

GregOden wrote:
iamworthy wrote:Ask yourself the same question except change the team the lakers and change the player to kuzma. What did you come up with?

You might be overselling Wiggins by comparing him to Kuzma. If they can do a 1 for 1 swap and salaries aren't a thing I think the Warriors takes it.

:o

Return to The General Board