Gary Payton Interested In Becoming Assistant Coach

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Gary Payton Interested In Becoming Assistant Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Gary Payton has interest in becoming an NBA coach and is available to join a coaching staff as an assistant.

“I have had conversations in the past about coaching, but the timing wasn’t right. I believe I now am ready to coach,” Payton told Yahoo Sports in a phone interview Thursday night. “A lot of young NBA players are a voice away from reaching their true potential. I would like to join an NBA staff where I can help coach, mentor and guide players toward the hard work, focus and determination needed to become a reliable contributor to a team’s success.”

Payton retired 13 years ago and he's eager to get back in the game to help develop players.

“I have knowledge to share and I’m ready to help,” Payton said.

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Gary Payton Interested In Becoming Assistant Coach 

Post#2 » by Barcs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:14 pm

I always wanted the Knicks to sign Payton when he was a player. I would do it! The Knicks are going to need a guy this year that can help develop a point guard, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather them learn from.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#3 » by donemilio21 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Did he run out of money ? He retired 13 years ago having made over $100M in his career, and now at aged 52 he wants to coach ? I really don't get these former players trying to get coaching or front office jobs. You get to retire in your mid 30s with millions in the bank, and you want to continue to work ? I feel sorry for them honestly that they cannot find anything else in life to make them happy.
Kobewade11
Head Coach
And1: 15,588

Post#4 » by Kobewade11 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Did he run out of money ? He retired 13 years ago having made over $100M in his career, and now at aged 52 he wants to coach ? I really don't get these former players trying to get coaching or front office jobs. You get to retire in your mid 30s with millions in the bank, and you want to continue to work ? I feel sorry for them honestly that they cannot find anything else in life to make them happy.

You sound like an idiot, maybe being around the game IS what makes these guys happy.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,896

Post#5 » by mastermixer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:05 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Did he run out of money ? He retired 13 years ago having made over $100M in his career, and now at aged 52 he wants to coach ? I really don't get these former players trying to get coaching or front office jobs. You get to retire in your mid 30s with millions in the bank, and you want to continue to work ? I feel sorry for them honestly that they cannot find anything else in life to make them happy.

Lold hard.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#6 » by Lee in Oregon » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:33 pm

You sound like a bitter, jealous person. The Glove has plenty of dough and being an assistant coach isn't a big payday. He's still only 52 and wants to get back into the game. I applaud him now as I did when he was a Sonic. What "you don't get" could fill a landfill. Stop feeling sorry sorry for millionaires and get back to work.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:18 am

You sound extremely bitter and it shows.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#8 » by Scalabrine » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:14 am

Lee in Oregon wrote:

You sound like a bitter, jealous person. The Glove has plenty of dough and being an assistant coach isn't a big payday. He's still only 52 and wants to get back into the game. I applaud him now as I did when he was a Sonic. What "you don't get" could fill a landfill. Stop feeling sorry sorry for millionaires and get back to work.

just quoting because im glad people are burying this comment.

this guy doesnt know wht hes talking about
Go Knicks!
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#9 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:23 am

What? There's nothing wrong with wanting to be back around the game you love. Yes being an assistant is a grind, but if he wants to do that and a team is interested, good for him.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#10 » by dautjazz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Not sure what job you have, I work IT, and while I don't absolute hate it, it's not very passionate for me, if I had a career in as a basketball player, the next logical move is to work for a network like ESPN/ABC or TNT, or coach, then GM, then own a team. Obviously some people like MJ can shoot straight up to the top. Anyways, this is not about putting millions in the bank, and then just live off it for the 50 some years of your life. If you have character to make it in TV like a Barkley or Jalen Rose, or the mind to coach like a Steve Nash (assuming he does atleast for offense), then why would you rot away retired for the rest of your life? I'm sure Payton some time between being a player and a TV personality, and it gave him time to reflect, am I going to wake up every day with nothing to do really, for the next 40-50 years, or am I going to do something chalenging?

Remember, there are the guys like Andrew Wiggins who are clearly not passionate for the game and about evolving themselves, then you have the MJ, Kobe, Lebrons, and Gary Payton. He's going to come into an organization and transform their defensive mindset, perhaps teach small players how to post, whatever he's learned in 30+ years around the game, he'll a sea of basketball knowledge. Keep in mind, he's played for KC Jones, George Karl, Paul Westphal, Nate McMillan, Phil Jackson, Doc Rivers, Stan Van Gundy, and Pat Riley. I can only imagine what he's been able to pick up from this pool of coaches who have won 21 NBA champions as coach, and even more in other roles (player, GM, etc..). Feeling sorry for Payton for wanting to take on new challenges in his 50s instead of just sulk in his fortune is stupid. We should all strive to find something we are passionate about like Payton is with basketball.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#11 » by Rhythm043 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:10 pm

He probably feels like getting back out there in the game and being productive. He had like 10 years + enjoying his retirement. Maybe now he's feeling like a new challenge/ chapter.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#12 » by cheese318 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:19 am

RiverboatRiles wrote:

You sound like an idiot, maybe being around the game IS what makes these guys happy.

Some are just lifers to the game and it has nothing to do with money you make. You gotta respect a man who wants to teach the tools he learned in the game. It’s funny you’ll respect the coach who started from DIII to the NBA but since this guy made millions you disrespect him because he wants to be a coach. Ever think he wanted to do it when he retired but had a family and wanted to be around for when they were growing up? Ya don’t know so stop acting like you do
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#13 » by MitchB3 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:03 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:

What? There's nothing wrong with wanting to be back around the game you love. Yes being an assistant is a grind, but if he wants to do that and a team is interested, good for him.

Do you know how much patience it takes to coach? I don't think this person understands that. It's not as though he's saying he wants a head coaching job; all he wants to do is give back to the game. There's a saying that goes "Each one, Teach one." Imagine learning from one of the greatest PG defender, a champ, a HOFer.
donemilio21
Veteran

Post#14 » by donemilio21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:44 am

cheese318 wrote:
RiverboatRiles wrote:

Some are just lifers to the game and it has nothing to do with money you make. You gotta respect a man who wants to teach the tools he learned in the game. It’s funny you’ll respect the coach who started from DIII to the NBA but since this guy made millions you disrespect him because he wants to be a coach. Ever think he wanted to do it when he retired but had a family and wanted to be around for when they were growing up? Ya don’t know so stop acting like you do

He will just take a job from someone perhaps more deserving because he has name recognition. Just because he was a great player, does not mean he will make a great coach. There are probably so many great assistants who are being overlooked because they have not played in the NBA and do not have NBA agents. Have you though he may be just bored? If he really loves the games and wants to coach, maybe he can go coach high school team that otherwise cannot afford a coach, or maybe mentor some kids and train them. That's what you do when you love the game.
donemilio21
Veteran

Post#15 » by donemilio21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:51 am

RiverboatRiles wrote:

If that's what makes him happy, then he should go start from the bottom, start at the G-league as an assistant, or go coach high school or college team. Show that you can coach, you are good at it and and it is really for you. Jumping on to an NBA team right away just because you were a former player and you had the connections more than a decade after you stopped playing is against the heart of basketball.
donemilio21
Veteran

Post#16 » by donemilio21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:55 am

Lee in Oregon wrote:

yeah yeah.. actually now you sound bitter because you think I insulted a former Sonics player. Not saying he wants a payday. But making a point that he just comes out of nowhere decade plus later and starts lobbying for job at the highest level of basketball with no coaching experience. That's not who he was as a player, he played hard, trained hard and hustled. that's what I feel sorry for.
donemilio21
Veteran

Post#17 » by donemilio21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:03 am

Scalabrine wrote:just quoting because im glad people are burying this comment.

this guy doesnt know wht hes talking about

It seems to me that you cannot really put together a few words to have a legitimate response. If you have the capability, do tell me how I am wrong, I very well maybe, but I think I raise a legitimate point that as great of a basketball player he is, taking a 13 year break and then suddenly lobbying for a job at the highest level of sport is not what people consider "normal". Not only that, he should be out there coaching a much lower level team, show that he really wants to get back into the game by proving he a good, capable coach.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#18 » by cheese318 » Tue Nov 3, 2020 12:24 am

donemilio21 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
RiverboatRiles wrote:You sound like an idiot, maybe being around the game IS what makes these guys happy.

He will just take a job from someone perhaps more deserving because he has name recognition. Just because he was a great player, does not mean he will make a great coach. There are probably so many great assistants who are being overlooked because they have not played in the NBA and do not have NBA agents. Have you though he may be just bored? If he really loves the games and wants to coach, maybe he can go coach high school team that otherwise cannot afford a coach, or maybe mentor some kids and train them. That's what you do when you love the game.

What if he is a great coach? Why does he have to go to the high school ranks? He has the knowledge.. this happens in baseball all the time as well so I don’t see why it’s a crazy thing a former player has the knowledge to be a coach in the NBA. But I guess since he made so much money he now is bored and that’s why he wants to do it. Your reasoning is ridiculous and slighted
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Discussion