ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,048

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#2463 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Just reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2008269 makes me think maybe there is a good chance we trade down to get two picks, like that Boston trade, just to get more guys on rookie salaries.

With the cap likely going down, and the state of the league financially, I don't think Sarver will spend money on free agents outside of maybe the cheap guys and Saric. I won't even be surprised if we come in below the cap or near the salary floor. Hopefully we can keep Saric for cheap. I also think because of this financial scenario, it may increase the likelihood Oubre gets traded, but only if they can shed salary in the process and get a very useful player in return. I don't think they will do it with GS to move up to 2 unless they are absolute in love with a player they think likely goes very high....mainly because that rookie contract would be fairly pricey.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#2464 » by Frank Lee » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm

A lot of wishful thinking..... why does Boston make that trade ? Who will deal for Oubre without shedding long term salary?

Too many pipers here puffing fantasy smoke.
May be im wrong, but moving up to 10 from 14 hardly warrants 18.,.. So why don’t you present these hairbrainers to the respective fan bases and see what they say. And that Oubre and 10 for 2??? You really think GS needs a player like Oob? Doesn’t make sense and reeks of the rosies

What ? Me Worry ?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#2465 » by Saberestar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:12 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Just reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2008269 makes me think maybe there is a good chance we trade down to get two picks, like that Boston trade, just to get more guys on rookie salaries.

With the cap likely going down, and the state of the league financially, I don't think Sarver will spend money on free agents outside of maybe the cheap guys and Saric. I won't even be surprised if we come in below the cap or near the salary floor. Hopefully we can keep Saric for cheap. I also think because of this financial scenario, it may increase the likelihood Oubre gets traded, but only if they can shed salary in the process and get a very useful player in return. I don't think they will do it with GS to move up to 2 unless they are absolute in love with a player they think likely goes very high....mainly because that rookie contract would be fairly pricey.

I do not think so, I think that we will sign more veterans on minimun contracts to get older and have more players ready to play.

Cam Payne is a good example of a minimun guy who is more ready to play than an average rookie PG. And he is even cheaper than a lot of them.

We can sign a player like Jordan McRae for the minimun on a two year contract and get solid production for him. You know what we got from Okobo, Melton, Lecque and Jerome on their rookie seasons...NOTHING.

And I do not even want to talk about adding a rookie C to the roster expecting some type of production from him...OMG...fouls, mistakes, more fouls, more mistakes... and always hearing the same old "bigs take years to develop". No thanks.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2466 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:18 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Just reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2008269 makes me think maybe there is a good chance we trade down to get two picks, like that Boston trade, just to get more guys on rookie salaries.

I do not think so, I think that we will sign more veterans on minimun contracts to get older and have more players ready to play.

Cam Payne is a good example of a minimun guy who is more ready to play than an average rookie PG. And he is even cheaper than a lot of them.

We can sign a player like Jordan McRae for the minimun on a two year contract and get solid production for him. You know what we got from Okobo, Melton, Lecque and Jerome on their rookie seasons...NOTHING.

And I do not even want to talk about adding a rookie C to the roster expecting some type of production from him...OMG...fouls, mistakes, more fouls, more mistakes... and always hearing the same old "bigs take years to develop". No thanks.

I think we will sign those guys too, but to have cheap rookie contracts under control for 4 years is something they could value, especially if they are experienced guys like Bane.

We have limited sample size with Payne, so we will see with him, though I'm hopeful and feel there is a good chance he will be decent, though not nearly the player he was in the bubble due to limited competition along with a hot streak.

I don't necessarily think they will trade down and try to get two picks, but do think it is a possibility given the financial situation. There are not always a lot of minimum guys that still contribute too much...and there is little upside for the future with them unless you somehow find a young minimum guy, like a Payne, who you think is poised to break out.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2467 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:23 pm

Frank Lee wrote:A lot of wishful thinking..... why does Boston make that trade ? Who will deal for Oubre without shedding long term salary?

Too many pipers here puffing fantasy smoke.
May be im wrong, but moving up to 10 from 14 hardly warrants 18.,.. So why don’t you present these hairbrainers to the respective fan bases and see what they say. And that Oubre and 10 for 2??? You really think GS needs a player like Oob? Doesn’t make sense and reeks of the rosies

Yeah, as mentioned, I don't see the GS deal happening as I think both sides wouldn't want to do it. I thought I read the Boston deal was 14 and 26 for 10...at least in that ZonaSports guy offseason thing that is what he said.

A deal like the earlier rumored Oubre/Kennard swap would be the type of deal they could look at to save like $10 million or whatever the difference is.

I don't see any of these as rose colored glasses or wishful thinking deals (unless you are talking about something else I am not mentioning here)....I don't think Oubre and 10 for the 2 or Oubre for Kennard are beneficial swaps for us, but they save money, which might be one of the goals. I don't know if moving up 4 spots is worth the 26th pick but Boston does need a C....that ZonaSports guy had Okongwu dropping to 10 though which is highly unlikely...so if a C doesn't drop, I don't see them doing it for another position...as they seem pretty set elsewhere.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2468 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:28 pm

Maybe if they moved down to get another pick, a 10 for 12 and 35 or a 10 for 13 and 39 is more likely...of course Sac and NO would REALLY have to be eager to leap a team or two to get a guy. List of picks: http://www.tankathon.com/power_rankings

Sixers could be 21, 34 and 36. I don't really see 3 rookies but I guess we did it last year (though that might make it MORE unlikely)...but 2nd rounders can be minimums or 2 way contracts.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#2469 » by BobbieL » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:31 pm

If they lower the cap - don't they have to change the lux tax levels or stagger them for a few years. As lowering the cap but keeping lux tax levels benefits teams over the cap
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2470 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:37 pm

BobbieL wrote:

If they lower the cap - don't they have to change the lux tax levels or stagger them for a few years. As lowering the cap but keeping lux tax levels benefits teams over the cap

They might lower them, though maybe not because it's not like existing player contracts reduce accordingly when the cap shrinks...so a team that was all set working to be just under the tax and not planning on adding anyone could be penalized financially for something out of their control.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#2471 » by Kerrsed » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:25 pm

Saberestar wrote:And I do not even want to talk about adding a rookie C to the roster expecting some type of production from him...OMG...fouls, mistakes, more fouls, more mistakes... and always hearing the same old "bigs take years to develop". No thanks.

Usually highly drafted "Star" Bigs do. Thats because they are usually one and done guys and still really raw. Drafting bigs that high is usually based off of their young age and potential.

Now, if you are just looking to get a nice role playing big that can give you 10 minutes a night off the bench behind your starter, grabbing an older, more seasoned big in the draft will work out fine. Its the reason why older players are usually drafted towards the end of the 1st by teams that need production from their rookie ASAP and dont have the time to spend developing a guy.

So you grab a guy like Azubuike/Oturu/Tillman/Tillie, guys that have more than a single season in REAL competitive organized ball. They dont need the time to develop into the player they are going to be because they are already pretty much there. Sure they might have something to work on or tweak, but all rookies do. All players do. But its not like drafting an 18 year old Big who is expected to be an all-star talent at some point in his career and working on every aspect of his game trying to help him get there.

I said it before (Many Times) that the draft is a good way to get some nice cheap talent. Late in the draft its a low risk low reward roll of the dice. One nice thing is that they are on easily tradable cheap deals and teams tend to be more ok trading for a guy on his rookie contract in hopes of there maybe being unrealized talent that went untapped by the team that drafted them, as opposed to older guys in their mid to late 20's that have been traded from team to team to team and then signed as a FA. Less likelihood of one of those guys all of sudden being considered a real talent.

I also did point out a month or so ago that i felt this is the route that the Suns would take. More-so because of Sarver than James Jones. Look at the bottom of our roster. Lecque and Okobo are right at the bottom salary wise, both drafted by us with 2nd round picks. Cheap talent to roll the dice on. Okobo in my opinion hasnt really panned out, so you let him go or try to trade him and replace him with another cheap roll of the dice. Lecque has only been around for a season and we drafted him knowing he was really young and really raw. Spent quite a bit of time in the G-League (That we no longer run), so im expecting him to stay on-board and get a few random minutes here and there. Diallo is on the end of his rookie contract (Another 2nd round pick on a cheap deal). He is kinda confusing. His Per36 stats look decent, but i dont think i could trust him in bigger minutes than he already gets. I think since he gets so few minutes he's able to go all out, but couldnt keep that pace up if he had to play a major back-up role. Wouldnt be surprised if we let him walk. Now Carter is a cheap 2nd round pick that i would absolutely keep. His pitbull attitude on defense and picking guys up full court caused a lot of issues for teams in the bubble and left opponents pissed off and frustrated.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#2472 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:34 am

I posted the Windhorst article after listening to the Russillo pod. Ive been saying for a while the financials for the next couple/few years for the NBA is going to be a big deal. The league lost a **** ton of money and spent money on the bubble. One interesting point he brought up was while they would never say it publicity there are owners who would much rather not play than play without full arenas. It's why he thinks March is a better bet than January for the start of this coming year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2473 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

I posted the Windhorst article after listening to the Russillo pod. Ive been saying for a while the financials for the next couple/few years for the NBA is going to be a big deal. The league lost a **** ton of money and spent money on the bubble. One interesting point he brought up was while they would never say it publicity there are owners who would much rather not play than play without full arenas. It's why he thinks March is a better bet than January for the start of this coming year.

Yeah, next year's revenue will probably hurt more than this year's, given they played 5 out of the 6 months of the season before the pandemic hit at all. Arenas likely won't be full regardless of when they start, and the later they start, the shorter the season. Next year's cap will probably be depressed even more than this year's, if they start reducing it.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#2474 » by Crives » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:33 am

If we trade down for picks only I bet the deal doesn’t happen until we are on the clock at #10.. there could be some wild picks this year with interesting names falling to #10... increasing the value of the pick while on the clock.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#2475 » by Crives » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:42 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

One thing we have going for us is the arena renovations and practice facilities. Sarver just spent a ton of money on these upgrades and is likely looking to start filling the arena again to start recouping on his investment. If it is expected for the season to start with fans in talking stick... I think Sarver may be willing to spend on exceptions to put us slightly over the cap... 5m-10m in extra player salary could go a long way towards a winning season leading to high gate revenue.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#2476 » by nevetsov » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:36 am

If they end up cutting the two way spots, and the roster is capped at 15:

Rubio, Payne, Lecque
Booker, Carter, Jerome
Bridges, Oubre, #10
Johnson, Saric, Kaminsky
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

Maybe we sub Kaminsky out for a cheaper third string FA.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#2477 » by Saberestar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 am

nevetsov wrote:If they end up cutting the two way spots, and the roster is capped at 15:

Rubio, Payne, Lecque
Booker, Carter, Jerome
Bridges, Oubre, #10
Johnson, Saric, Kaminsky
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

I think that we need more money/resources invested in the backcourt and less in the frontcourt.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#2478 » by cberry78 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:38 am

nevetsov wrote:If they end up cutting the two way spots, and the roster is capped at 15:

Rubio, Payne, Lecque
Booker, Carter, Jerome
Bridges, Oubre, #10
Johnson, Saric, Kaminsky
Ayton, Baynes, Diallo

I thought I remembered something about the League (possibly) expanding rosters for the coming season? Something to do with COVID and G-League worries leading to an expansion of players that teams are allowed to carry at one time.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,380

Post#2479 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:14 pm

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020/10/18/21521706/solar-panel-keith-smith-joins-national-perspective-suns-cap-space-how-attractive-are-phoenix-suns

Solar Panel:
Keith Smith joins to discuss whether Suns are the best destination this winter

Espo, Dave and Keith discuss the NBA landscape, free agency, offseason goals and Suns potential

By Dave King@DaveKingNBA  Oct 18, 2020, 8:24am MST

Follow Keith here on twitter for the latest NBA news: @KeithSmithNBA

We cover:

- Offseason dates.
- Best guesses for start of free agency, training camps and season.
- Suns available cap space: spend now or wait till next summer?
- Rank this winter’s free agent destinations with cap space, best to worst.
- Are the Suns actually the BEST destination this winter?
- Who should be the Suns top target: Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo?

jkjk But seriously, Are the Suns the best possible destination for Christian WoodFred VanVleet and Jerami Grant?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,380

Post#2480 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:44 pm

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020/10/18/21521704/the-phoenix-suns-could-control-the-free-agent-market-this-winter

The Suns could control the free agent market this winter

Suns could be the best combination of money, role and multi-year playoff prospects among free agent destinations this offseason.

By Dave King@DaveKingNBA  Oct 18, 2020, 9:42am MST

Salary cap space

The cap will likely stay the same this year, at $109.1 million, meaning the Suns could create about about $18 million in cap space, if they are willing to renounce their special over-the-cap re-signing (Bird) rights to Dario Saric, Aron Baynes, Frank Kaminsky, Cameron Payne, Jevon Carter, Cheick Diallo, Elie Okobo. (All but Saric, Baynes and Kaminsky are in the league-minimum range anyway, so Bird Rights are unnecessary here anyway).

I know $18 million doesn’t sound like much, but the level of free agents available plus the limited cap space around the league makes this an attractive number this winter.

Other teams with projected cap space:

- Atlanta Hawks ($44 million).
- New York Knicks ($42.4 million).
- Detroit Pistons ($30 million).
- Miami Heat ($21 million).
- Charlotte Hornets ($19.4 million).
- Phoenix Suns ($18 million).

Check out cap space around the league here in Keith Smith’s handy dandy spreadsheet.

Return to Phoenix Suns