ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#461 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:56 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Anyone saying Hayward is better than Jaylen is living in the past or imagining some idyllic version of what Hayward is capable of in a single game when healthy.

Hayward may be have a more complete skill set, but he’s declining and way less consistent. Night in night out for a full season I’d go with Jaylen 10 times out of 10 at this point.

or, they know basketball and don't use PPG comparisons without context when declaring someone better than the other. Which of the two can bring the ball up the court, initiate the offense and run PnR? Which one of the two gets parked in the corner and barely handles the ball because his handle and BBIQ are suspect? Which one of the two has mental lapses multiple times a game on defense? Which one has a better than 2:1 assist to turnover rate? Now which one has a negative turnover rate? Hayward does so many things better and is overall a higher skilled player. The fact that Hayward still hasn't regained his pre-injury athleticism (it takes 18-24 mos.) and was still as productive as he was, all while accepting the demotion from #1 option in Utah, to the #2 when he came here to play with Kyrie, to the #4 presently, speaks to his unselfishness, being a team player and that he's an improved player.

Hayward deserves to go somewhere and be the #1 or #2. He is that good. And I think you'd see he'd likely put up even better numbers than his all-star peak which was him just entering his prime. Jaylen's game is predicated on other's getting him the ball for wide open threes. Tatum and Hayward create for themselves and others. Jaylen has tunnel vision and can't create for himself unless it's on a mismatch. But get those mismatches he needs to be involved in the PnR which he can't be because of his lack of handle.

Hayward in his all-star season was ascending as a player. He was headed towards being a 22-6-5 player with efficiency and good defense. How many players in the NBA give you that? Giannis, Kawhi, Lebron, Tatum and Butler. That's it. That's rarified air. You act as if the FACT that Hayward is better than Jaylen, is some slight on Jaylen. What a touchy bunch.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#462 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 pm

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#463 » by TommyPointGawd » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:Anyone saying Hayward is better than Jaylen is living in the past or imagining some idyllic version of what Hayward is capable of in a single game when healthy.

Hayward may be have a more complete skill set, but he’s declining and way less consistent. Night in night out for a full season I’d go with Jaylen 10 times out of 10 at this point.

or, they know basketball and don't use PPG comparisons without context when declaring someone better than the other. Which of the two can bring the ball up the court, initiate the offense and run PnR? Which one of the two gets parked in the corner and barely handles the ball because his handle and BBIQ are suspect? Which one of the two has mental lapses multiple times a game on defense? Which one has a better than 2:1 assist to turnover rate? Now which one has a negative turnover rate? Hayward does so many things better and is overall a higher skilled player. The fact that Hayward still hasn't regained his pre-injury athleticism (it takes 18-24 mos.) and was still as productive as he was, all while accepting the demotion from #1 option in Utah, to the #2 when he came here to play with Kyrie, to the #4 presently, speaks to his unselfishness, being a team player and that he's an improved player.

Hayward deserves to go somewhere and be the #1 or #2. He is that good. And I think you'd see he'd likely put up even better numbers than his all-star peak which was him just entering his prime. Jaylen's game is predicated on other's getting him the ball for wide open threes. Tatum and Hayward create for themselves and others. Jaylen has tunnel vision and can't create for himself unless it's on a mismatch. But get those mismatches he needs to be involved in the PnR which he can't be because of his lack of handle.

Hayward in his all-star season was ascending as a player. He was headed towards being a 22-6-5 player with efficiency and good defense. How many players in the NBA give you that? Giannis, Kawhi, Lebron, Tatum and Butler. That's it. That's rarified air. You act as if the FACT that Hayward is better than Jaylen, is some slight on Jaylen. What a touchy bunch.

You are 100% right. I have changed my opinion. Hayward is the best player on the team. End of discussion.
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#464 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:49 am

It was asserted in the trade thread that Jaylen is most likely a top 40 player. I checked. I agree. In fact, I have him at #31, and see only 10 more guys who I think have even a strong argument over him.

My list is below; I hope there aren't any (or least aren't many) really embarrassing oversights/omissions. Guys named without comment I put ahead of him. Guys with question marks I don't put ahead of him, but recognize that other people easily might. (Indeed, a few guys I put behind Jaylen were 2020 all-stars. But on the other hand, I put Jaylen behind a few guys he outplayed in the postseason.)

Dallas – Doncic, Porzingis
Denver – Jokic, Murray
Golden State – Curry, Thompson, Green?
Houston – Harden, Westbrook
LAC – Leonard, George
LAL – James, Davis
Memphis – Morant?
Minnesota – Towns
New Orleans – Ingram, Williamson?, Holiday?
Oklahoma City – Paul
Phoenix – Booker?
Portland – Lillard
Sacramento – nobody
San Antonio – nobody
Utah – Mitchell, Gobert

18 yes, 4 close no

Atlanta – Young?
Boston – Tatum, Walker?, Hayward?
Brooklyn – Durant, Irving
Charlotte – nobody
Chicago – nobody
Cleveland – nobody
Detroit – nobody
Indiana – Sabonis?, Odiapo?, Brogdon?
Miami – Butler, Adebayo
Milwaukee – Antetokuonmpo, Middleton
NYK – nobody
Orlando – nobody
Philadelphia – Embiid, Simmons
Toronto – Siakam, Lowry
Washington – Beal

12 yes, 6 close no
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,057

Post#465 » by Johnny Tomala » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:25 pm

From the ? players that You listed, I would pick Williamson and Booker as definitely better than Brown from the West guys and Young from East guys.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#466 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Johnny Tomala wrote:From the ? players that You listed, I would pick Williamson and Booker as definitely better than Brown from the West guys and Young from East guys.

Do you really think Williamson is there already (or at least will be in the upcoming season)?

Booker and Young are just scoring-vs.-defense kinds of judgments, so I won't bother pushing back about those.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#467 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:13 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:It was asserted in the trade thread that Jaylen is most likely a top 40 player. I checked. I agree. In fact, I have him at #31, and see only 10 more guys who I think have even a strong argument over him.

My list is below; I hope there aren't any (or least aren't many) really embarrassing oversights/omissions. Guys named without comment I put ahead of him. Guys with question marks I don't put ahead of him, but recognize that other people easily might. (Indeed, a few guys I put behind Jaylen were 2020 all-stars. But on the other hand, I put Jaylen behind a few guys he outplayed in the postseason.)

Denver – Jokic, Murray
LAC – Leonard, George
LAL – James, Davis
Memphis – Morant?
Minnesota – Towns
Oklahoma City – Paul
Phoenix – Booker?
Portland – Lillard
Sacramento – nobody
San Antonio – nobody
Utah – Mitchell, Gobert

18 yes, 4 close no

Atlanta – Young?
Charlotte – nobody
Chicago – nobody
Cleveland – nobody
Detroit – nobody
Miami – Butler, Adebayo
NYK – nobody
Orlando – nobody
Toronto – Siakam, Lowry
Washington – Beal

12 yes, 6 close no

I'll give you an updated list that is sure to trigger the Jaylen defense force. These are objectively better player, that you listed, no stats needed:

Trae
Hayward
Tatum
KD
Kyrie
Doncic
Porzingis
Steph
Klay
Harden
Westbrook
Sabonis
Oladipo
Lebron
AD
George
Kawhi
Morant
Butler
Bam
Giannis
Middleton
Zion
Holiday
Paul
Simmons
Embiid
Booker
Lillard
Lowry
Siakam
Mitchell
Gobert
Beal

that's 34 guys no doubt better than Jaylen. No debate to be had.

However, your list was missing the following objectively better players:

LaVine-25-5-4
DLO-23-4-6
Ayton-18-12-2
Blake-25-7-5 (last healthy season)
Wall-21-4-9 (last healthy season)
Love-17-10-3
JJJ-17-5-1 w/ 1.6 blocks
McCollum-22-4-4
Fox--22-4-7

now we're up to 43 OBJECTIVELY better players, when you consider the player's impact and position. Homers might laughably attempt to claim Jaylen is better than maybe 2-4 of these players but they'd be wrong.

Now, let's talk SUBJECTIVELY. The following have a similar impact as Jaylen and an argument could be made for them over him though I wouldn't:

Aldridge-19-7-3
DeRozan-22-5-5
Capela-14-14-1 with 2 blocks a game
Dinwiddie-21-4-7
Kemba-21-4-5
Drummond-15-15-3 with 1.5 blocks and steals a game
Graham-18-3-8
Brogdon-17-5-7
Hield-19-5-3

players I think are better but due to circumstances/injuries haven't completely proven it to the world just yet
MPJ
Markkanen
SGA
Lonzo
Bridges
Isaac
Barrett

add the 10-12 guys from the previous drafts with potential to be better and 10 or so guys from the 2020 draft class and it doesn't look good for Jaylen to get in that top 40 and definitely, should he crack it, not for a sustained amount of time because the 2021 class is LOADED.

Just enjoy the #3 that he is, the 3 and sometimes D and stop putting so much pressure on the poor kid by saying he's better than he is.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#468 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:23 pm

TommyPointGawd wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

You are 100% right. I have changed my opinion. Hayward is the best player on the team. End of discussion.

such a mature response. I had no idea so many children frequented this board.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,208

Post#469 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:25 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

such a mature response. I had no idea so many children frequented this board.

Keep it Cordial.

~ Parl
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#470 » by Floody100 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:It was asserted in the trade thread that Jaylen is most likely a top 40 player. I checked. I agree. In fact, I have him at #31, and see only 10 more guys who I think have even a strong argument over him.

Denver – Jokic, Murray
LAC – Leonard, George
LAL – James, Davis
Memphis – Morant?
Minnesota – Towns
Oklahoma City – Paul
Phoenix – Booker?
Portland – Lillard
Sacramento – nobody
San Antonio – nobody
Utah – Mitchell, Gobert

18 yes, 4 close no

Atlanta – Young?
Charlotte – nobody
Chicago – nobody
Cleveland – nobody
Detroit – nobody
Miami – Butler, Adebayo
NYK – nobody
Orlando – nobody
Toronto – Siakam, Lowry
Washington – Beal

12 yes, 6 close no

I'll give you an updated list that is sure to trigger the Jaylen defense force. These are objectively better player, that you listed, no stats needed:

Trae
Hayward
Tatum
KD
Kyrie
Doncic
Porzingis
Steph
Klay
Harden
Westbrook
Sabonis
Oladipo
Lebron
AD
George
Kawhi
Morant
Butler
Bam
Giannis
Middleton
Zion
Holiday
Paul
Simmons
Embiid
Booker
Lillard
Lowry
Siakam
Mitchell
Gobert
Beal

LaVine-25-5-4
DLO-23-4-6
Ayton-18-12-2
Love-17-10-3
JJJ-17-5-1 w/ 1.6 blocks
McCollum-22-4-4
Fox--22-4-7

now we're up to 43 OBJECTIVELY better players, when you consider the player's impact and position. Homers might laughably attempt to claim Jaylen is better than maybe 2-4 of these players but they'd be wrong.

Now, let's talk SUBJECTIVELY. The following have a similar impact as Jaylen and an argument could be made for them over him though I wouldn't:

Aldridge-19-7-3
DeRozan-22-5-5
Dinwiddie-21-4-7
Kemba-21-4-5
Graham-18-3-8
Brogdon-17-5-7
Hield-19-5-3

players I think are better but due to circumstances/injuries haven't completely proven it to the world just yet
MPJ
Markkanen
SGA
Lonzo
Bridges
Isaac
Barrett

add the 10-12 guys from the previous drafts with potential to be better and 10 or so guys from the 2020 draft class and it doesn't look good for Jaylen to get in that top 40 and definitely, should he crack it, not for a sustained amount of time because the 2021 class is LOADED.

Just enjoy the #3 that he is, the 3 and sometimes D and stop putting so much pressure on the poor kid by saying he's better than he is.

You lost this argument as soon as used a couple of players ‘last healthy season’.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#471 » by floyd » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:32 pm

BostonCouch somehow doesn’t know that being too injured to play makes you less good
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer

Post#472 » by TommyPointGawd » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:53 pm

floyd wrote:BostonCouch somehow doesn’t know that being too injured to play makes you less good

Let's add Greg Oden, Brandon Roy and Jonathan Bender to list.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#473 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 am

Dang. I was hoping you guys wouldn't let BostonCouchGM derail this strand of the discussion with his baiting insults, as he has so many others. But not all hopes come true.
rd26
Junior
And1: 592

Post#474 » by rd26 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:49 am

Poor man's Jae Crowder.....got it.

Just curious, is Couch the same poster that educated me on JBs pseudo-intellectialism, horrible body language, and just general cancerous nature???

If so, thanks for making sure Noone dares root for such a vile Celtic
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#475 » by chrisab123 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:50 am

Multiple time all-star and the 2nd/3rd option on a title team. Probably more of that 3rd option. A more refined version of Darryl Dawkins.
Stan34
Senior
And1: 434

Post#476 » by Stan34 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:06 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

Denver – Jokic, Murray
LAC – Leonard, George
LAL – James, Davis
Memphis – Morant?
Minnesota – Towns
Oklahoma City – Paul
Phoenix – Booker?
Portland – Lillard
Sacramento – nobody
San Antonio – nobody
Utah – Mitchell, Gobert

18 yes, 4 close no

Atlanta – Young?
Charlotte – nobody
Chicago – nobody
Cleveland – nobody
Detroit – nobody
Miami – Butler, Adebayo
NYK – nobody
Orlando – nobody
Toronto – Siakam, Lowry
Washington – Beal

12 yes, 6 close no

Trae
Hayward
Tatum
KD
Kyrie
Doncic
Porzingis
Steph
Klay
Harden
Westbrook
Sabonis
Oladipo
Lebron
AD
George
Kawhi
Morant
Butler
Bam
Giannis
Middleton
Zion
Holiday
Paul
Simmons
Embiid
Booker
Lillard
Lowry
Siakam
Mitchell
Gobert
Beal

LaVine-25-5-4
DLO-23-4-6
Ayton-18-12-2
Love-17-10-3
JJJ-17-5-1 w/ 1.6 blocks
McCollum-22-4-4
Fox--22-4-7

Aldridge-19-7-3
DeRozan-22-5-5
Dinwiddie-21-4-7
Kemba-21-4-5
Graham-18-3-8
Brogdon-17-5-7
Hield-19-5-3

MPJ
Markkanen
SGA
Lonzo
Bridges
Isaac
Barrett

Porz is not better
Hayward not
Sabonis not
Dipo not
Siakam not
Lowry not
Gobert is not (no GM right now could choose gobert over Jaylen)
Lavine (really?)
DLO not
Ayton not
Kevin Love (ah ah ah)
JJJ not
Aldridge not
Capela (ah ah ah)
Drummond, Graham, Hield (I dont think you are serious)

The rest, I dont know what to Say: you put Isaac in the mix. You kidding
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer

Post#477 » by TommyPointGawd » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:15 pm

I think if you watch every Celtics game you will be able to see the flaws of your own players(if you choose to). Then you look at the stats of other players maybe a game here and there, and rate them on a completely different criteria. Mix in a natural bias and it leads to a bunch of arguments between fan bases wildly over/under rating players, trying to justify opinions with Vorp, worp, or any other stat they can dig up. This is all normal part of being a fan.

Then there is just flat out hate.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#478 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:29 am

Remember that feel-good story in which:
-- Jaylen felt his grandfather should come live with him/his family during quarantine.
-- Grandfather (military vet and heavyweight boxer who sparred with Liston, Ali and Frazier) turned into a serious trainer for Jaylen.

Well, here's a twist I didn't know:
-- Grandpa had cancer.
-- He was ready to refuse chemo and die.
-- Jaylen talked him into continuing to fight the disease by making it an analogue to Jaylen going into the bubble and competing there.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-jaylen-brown-almost-skipped-nba-restart-due-grandfathers-cancer-diagnosis

And by the way, this is Jaylen's paternal grandfather, while Jaylen's father lives (or at least used to live) in Hawaii.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#479 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:48 am

There’s a real possibility that I’m prouder to root for Jaylen than any Celtics player ever. I mean what a good dude this guy is.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#480 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:24 am

Wow, Jaylen and his grandfather are amazing people. I hope Jaylen runs for president when he retires.

Return to Boston Celtics