ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#301 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:35 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Should be at least 3rd! We will win either way! I said what I said! No more bubble, lets see these guys (other teams) with real challenges to deal with outside of game time and see if they still hold up in the playoffs! Traveling/flying, partying, women, family, gambling and the ability to spend money are all distractions they didn't have in the bubble! Home court should matter again too! Our guys have made it to the ECF and minutes from the Finals (against LBJ) in and outside the bubble!

Can't wait for next season!!!

Once we shore up our weaknesses (Center & Bench), we should be at or near the Top of the Conference.

Floody100 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Floody100 wrote:
Clippers & the Nets ahead of us :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that's crazy. We're Top 4, as is.

With Tatum’s rise I really only see the Lakers as the team we’d probably lose too.
Too much drama going on at the Clippers. Steph & Klay are not only getting older but Klay just came off a pretty significant injury. KD’s coming off a career threatening injury & you’ve got the problems surrounding Kyrie. Unless they makes some changes, the Bucks will just get exposed again.

Lakers are the only team that worries me.

If we address our needs, I think that we can give them a good run for the money.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#302 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Could a Kemba-Smart-Tatum-Hayward-Gobert team win a title?
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#303 » by Ernest » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:55 pm

Payton wants to be an assistant coach, why not right? Fun bit of trivia he actually played for us. Remember how bad we were then?
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#304 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Read on Twitter

This article is interesting, a lot of execs have a lot of different ideas of what we should do
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#305 » by playa-hater » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:13 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Could a Kemba-Smart-Tatum-Hayward-Gobert team win a title?

could Yes, but the best odds???
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#306 » by playa-hater » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:23 pm

Meanwhile, can someone with better Cap knowledge tell me if Boston can approach Hayward and agree to have him opt out, and resign him to a 3 year 60 million or so type of extension. Hayward gets to stay, still have a good market value coming in (uncertainty with the CBA coming) all while Boston gets some cap relief this season, which they can use to sign someone like (Ibaka or D Gallo) for 10+ million.

In fact I am not a "Capologist" but maybe Hayward can make it where he gets 15 mil this season and the contract progresses to 20, the 25 mil or something along those lines??

If possible this would help Boston get on on some lower level veterans that can really help us..
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#307 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 pm

playa-hater wrote:Meanwhile, can someone with better Cap knowledge tell me if Boston can approach Hayward and agree to have him opt out, and resign him to a 3 year 60 million or so type of extension. Hayward gets to stay, still have a good market value coming in (uncertainty with the CBA coming) all while Boston gets some cap relief this season, which they can use to sign someone like (Ibaka or D Gallo) for 10+ million.

In fact I am not a "Capologist" but maybe Hayward can make it where he gets 15 mil this season and the contract progresses to 20, the 25 mil or something along those lines??

If possible this would help Boston get on on some lower level veterans that can really help us..

No cap expert either but I believe even should he opt out and his $34 million comes off the books, it puts us at just slightly below the salary cap so it wouldn't help. And aren't we hearing the cap might be going down as well? He'd be stupid to Opt out unless someone has given his agent the impression that he'll get a 4 or 5 year contract for $25 million plus. Doing the math. If he had option a) taking 5-$125 by opting out. Or, opting in for $34 million and chancing a 4-$91 million I think it could go either way. I think he probably believes he can get better than 4-$91 on the open market next season so opting in is his best bet. There's absolutely zero chance he would opt out and sign with us for cheap. Why should he? Why would he? Especially since it doesn't mean we can sign anyone anyway.

I'm afraid out best bet is to go forward with the best set of wings in the game, Dump Kemba because he's easily repalceable, even if it means trading away Langford or a 1st. Go for it in 2021 hoping Hayward is even closer to fully healed and Danny drafts well. Then when Hayward leaves, that money gets used to max Tatum and with Kemba off the books we'd have a max slot for the 2021 FA class or to re-sign Hayward. Getting out from under Kemba's awful contract will be the difference between being pretenders or contenders.
yeleven11
Rookie
And1: 1,545

Post#308 » by yeleven11 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:29 am

playa-hater wrote:Meanwhile, can someone with better Cap knowledge tell me if Boston can approach Hayward and agree to have him opt out, and resign him to a 3 year 60 million or so type of extension. Hayward gets to stay, still have a good market value coming in (uncertainty with the CBA coming) all while Boston gets some cap relief this season, which they can use to sign someone like (Ibaka or D Gallo) for 10+ million.

If he opted out for 3 years/60 million, that would mean he only thinks he can get 2 years/26 in 2021 since his opt in this year is 34mil. He'll get comfortably more than that in 2021 barring some outrageous decline in production. For him to opt out and extend, it'll have to make sense for him financially. We would really have to be talking 4yr/100ish for him to opt out and seriously consider that route. Also, so many more teams have available cap space in 2021 so unless we're rewarding him significantly more than what he thinks he can get in 2021, the opt out and extend option isn't necessarily the best thing for hayward.

To add, even with an opt out and extend for hayward, we won't have cap space going forward.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#309 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 am

Even if we offered Hayward $75/3 years starting at $23.15M, most we can offer an FA is the non-tax MLE, which is maybe just under $10M.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#310 » by playa-hater » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:44 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:

Even if we offered Hayward $75/3 years starting at $23.15M, most we can offer an FA is the non-tax MLE, which is maybe just under $10M.

OK then at least your answer takes away my concern and options for GH.. Now my head can just go back to spinning on trade options and who Boston will/should draft. :crazy:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#311 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 am

playa-hater wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:

OK then at least your answer takes away my concern and options for GH.. Now my head can just go back to spinning on trade options and who Boston will/should draft. :crazy:

Yeah, Hayward is gone. -- I'd be shocked if he were still on the team next season.
I think that he gets traded either on Draft Night, or later on in Free Agency.

If we can bring in 2-3 players for him, then we could answer some of our needs without bringing in FA's.
A Starting Center, and 2 Bench players would be great.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#312 » by playa-hater » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:04 am

Parliament10 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Even if we offered Hayward $75/3 years starting at $23.15M, most we can offer an FA is the non-tax MLE, which is maybe just under $10M.

Yeah, Hayward is gone. -- I'd be shocked if he were still on the team next season.

If we can bring in 2-3 players for him, then we could answer some of our needs without bringing in FA's.

I am opposite on this one.. one way or the other I expect GH playing for Boston next season.. No real reason, but just my gut feeling..

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/01/10/USAT/f4b518b4-cc6f-4a77-8ddd-ffcf8a1eee44-GettyImages-821217952.jpg
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#313 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:07 am

playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

I am opposite on this one.. one way or the other I expect GH playing for Boston next season.. No real reason, but just my gut feeling..

I hear ya.
We wouldn't be able to bring in any FA over the taxpayer MLE (or, unlikely, non-taxpayer).

It's really best that we get something for him, now.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#314 » by Edug27 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:38 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:Could a Kemba-Smart-Tatum-Hayward-Gobert team win a title?

If they are all healthy? No.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#315 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:51 am

Edug27 wrote:

If they are all healthy? No.

Noted. I will relay to Danny soon.
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 751

Post#316 » by batabatuta » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:39 am

Danny will trade anyone on the team even Tatum for a superstar on a win-now mode.
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Post#317 » by Asian Celtic » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:42 am

captain green wrote:Best thing I read today Gary Payton wants to be on a bench coaching, make this happen.

Yeah he could he that guy that gets into our guys face and pump them up to play beyond their skillset. You know the coach k type of coach that Tatum wants.

On boarddddd
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#318 » by Triple7 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:28 am

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#319 » by Ernest » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:31 pm

What would be interesting is a list of possible veteran minimum contract free agents:

Bigs:
Howard
DMC
Gasol
Nene

Wings:
Melo
Carter?
Green (either one I guess)

Guards:
Rondo?
IT
Bradley

Can anyone fill out this list?
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#320 » by Roddy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Ernest wrote:What would be interesting is a list of possible veteran minimum contract free agents:

Bigs:
Howard
DMC
Gasol
Nene

Wings:
Melo
Carter?
Green (either one I guess)

Guards:
Rondo?
IT
Bradley

Can anyone fill out this list?

I think that some teams will give more than the minimum for Howard, Rondo or Melo.

If we talk about the MLE, why not.

Also, Serge Ibaka would be a great target, but he will probably stay in Toronto

Return to Boston Celtics