Andrew Wiggins: turning straw into gold or always been a star in the making?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Warriors winning with Wiggins means:

The Warriors turned straw into gold.
14%
Wiggins was always going to be a star.
8%
He was just along for the ride.
78%

Total votes: 110

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Re: Andrew Wiggins: turning straw into gold or always been a star in the making? 

Post#61 » by bstein14 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:23 am

Honestly he could take a big step forward being the #3 option on the team, as far as overall offensive efficiency goes he needs to up those %s and he can be a positive member of the team. Still not worth that contract and GS would be lucky to trade him for someone on a much smaller contract.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Re: Andrew Wiggins: turning straw into gold or always been a star in the making? 

Post#62 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:25 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Warriors fans are trying to convince themselves that he's a superstar now for whatever reason, and I don't get it, because in a few months they'll be here trying to convince everyone that Steph Curry has no help, and that he's carrying a D-league squad.

I don't get why it is that on the PC board you're a reasonable and thoughtful poster but when the discussion turns to the Warriors and Steph you become dismissive and haughty. Is there a single Warrior fan arguing Wiggins is a superstar? Of course not, and you're smart enough to read people's posts and see that.

I can't keep up with all the guys with "Warriors" in the front part of their name, but the amount of hype surrounding Wiggins turning the corner, being a great player there, or now being a positive trade asset is very apparent here... but like I said, if people suggest that Steph has a lot of help, the entire conversation will shift. It can't be both.

I think the Warriors will be formidable next year, and they are going to be back to being a pretty strong team, health permitting... but very little of that will have anything to do with Wiggins, no matter how many people try to spin him into being a positive.

Fair point. I made this username when I was 13 or something and have been wanting to change and I also find the Warriors username posters a little embarrassing. But again, I don't think there's a lot of hype with Wiggins. There's belief he can be better than Harrison Barnes was, albeit in a different role and more volume scoring. I also think Warriors fans are well aware he doesn't have positive trade value, which is precisely why most Warriors fans are opposed to the packages he's involved in where it takes assets to get off of him. Makes more sense to not cancel the value of the assets out with Wiggins' negative contract.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,034
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#63 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:26 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
I don't get why it is that on the PC board you're a reasonable and thoughtful poster but when the discussion turns to the Warriors and Steph you become dismissive and haughty. Is there a single Warrior fan arguing Wiggins is a superstar? Of course not, and you're smart enough to read people's posts and see that.

I can't keep up with all the guys with "Warriors" in the front part of their name, but the amount of hype surrounding Wiggins turning the corner, being a great player there, or now being a positive trade asset is very apparent here... but like I said, if people suggest that Steph has a lot of help, the entire conversation will shift. It can't be both.

I think the Warriors will be formidable next year, and they are going to be back to being a pretty strong team, health permitting... but very little of that will have anything to do with Wiggins, no matter how many people try to spin him into being a positive.

Fair point. I made this username when I was 13 or something and have been wanting to change and I also find the Warriors username posters a little embarrassing. But again, I don't think there's a lot of hype with Wiggins. There's belief he can be better than Harrison Barnes was, albeit in a different role and more volume scoring. I also think Warriors fans are well aware he doesn't have positive trade value, which is precisely why most Warriors fans are opposed to the packages he's involved in where it takes assets to get off of him. Makes more sense to not cancel the value of the assets out with Wiggins' negative contract.

Oh, it's nothing to be embarassed of, I'm not even accusing them of being bandwagon fans, I just literally can think of a handful of guys with a very similar name that I'm pretty sure I mix up. :lol:

Also, my name basically shows where my heart was when I joined the forum, and I've never wanted to change it, just for the nostalgia, lol.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#64 » by NoZoLakers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:31 am

Jagic Mohnson wrote:Hes basically Eddie Jones minus the defense. I mean Lakers fans love Eddie but the dude didnt have the extra gear Kobe had which you need to be great and that is what Wiggins lacks.

eddie had a respectable mid range n developed a decent 3pt shot to after he sent to cha
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#65 » by michaelm » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:37 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Warriors fans are trying to convince themselves that he's a superstar now for whatever reason, and I don't get it, because in a few months they'll be here trying to convince everyone that Steph Curry has no help, and that he's carrying a D-league squad.

This is an absolutely pointless hypothetical discussion at this time, and sure until he proves he can be something different with GSW than he was with the Twolves he isn't.

GSW see something in him though, and I believe traded for him as a keeper in preference to DLo, and haven't been proven wrong yet either, with it also hardly being the case that players have never looked better playing for them than they have playing for other teams. If he is good at getting to the line that is a plus for GSW who largely haven't had a player with that ability, and if he enjoys his work more at GSW and with tutelage from Dray Green gives effort using his athleticism/speed, size and length as a wing defender that would be a plus as well.

The Twolves weren't a great organisation during his tenure there imo, with bad coaching and a poorly constructed roster including a so-called superstar big man unwilling or unable to contribute much on the defensive side of things. Even the quotes I have seen from Jimmy Butler, which are admittedly perhaps selected, seem to indicate his major problem was with KAT.

And as others have said, he doesn't have to play up to the level of his contract, he just needs to be better than nothing, nothing being pretty much the alternative, while GSW are hopefully still in a championship window contemporaneously with being in salary cap hell.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#66 » by meekrab » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:39 am

Impuniti wrote:He doesn't need to be a star for the Warriors to win it. Play good defense, move off the ball, set screens, don't shoot too much to take away from the Splash Brothers and make wide open shots.

Sure, the issue is Wiggins has never really shown any inclination to do those things. If Kerr can figure out how to get that out of him he'll be the first coach who did.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#67 » by LibertyPrime » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:42 am

If what I think happens and the Warriors end up with a starting lineup of.....

Steph
Klay
Wiggins
Green
Wiseman

.....then they will easily be winning a large number of games whether Wiggins lives up to his potential or not, and no one will care.
"The last domino falls here!"
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#68 » by _AIJ_ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:43 am

He was always trashed when he was playing for the wolves. Now that he plays with the Warriors, he’s praised as a star? Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#69 » by Stillwater » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:48 am

its the perfect scenario for him to have less attention so he can get his ...so he may have a breakout season so to speak but imo it wont be sustainable if he were moved to a lesser roster ,like where he left.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#70 » by The_Hater » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:23 am

HoopsterJones wrote:If Wiggins had Butler’s motor he’d be an all star level talent.

But he doesn’t.

That’s only one of many differences between the two

Wiggins lacks a lot of Butler’s skill level and smarts too. Lower bball IQ, much worse defensively, doesn’t handle or pass the ball as well.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#71 » by Warriorfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:29 am

It won't take much for it to work for GS. GS can manufacture a max slot for a trade at the deadline if they use the Full TPE.

If Wiggins shoots a higher pct due to the gravity of Curry and spacing of Thompson plus plays avg defense he can be added with the Min for another max level player as a exp who can get 20pts for 2022.

Return to The General Board