ImageImageImage

G-League Thread, 2020-21 – (Atlanta Bubble)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Re: G-League "Select Team" to be called "Ignite" out of Walnut Creek, CA 

Post#41 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:05 am

"Ignite" is really not looking like a good name for a California team.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#42 » by Ernest » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:19 am

Why not just have G league teams play a lot of games in Europe too. League could probably make more money. I imagine it's hard to fill stands in America for G league but abroad I bet it's not. Free European tour vacation would make it even more of a good deal to an 18 year old.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#43 » by Taget » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:02 pm

I don't like it because most kids won't make the NBA including top recruits and a 4 year college degree is worth a hell of a lot more than what the NBA-GL is offering them.

That said I hope this gives the NCAA the kick they need to finally start sharing their ridiculous revenues with their players and put an end to their ticky tack rules that will punish a player for taking a second helping of spaghetti while the coaches and colleges live large.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#44 » by GWVan » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:38 pm

Taget wrote:I don't like it because most kids won't make the NBA including top recruits and a 4 year college degree is worth a hell of a lot more than what the NBA-GL is offering them.

That said I hope this gives the NCAA the kick they need to finally start sharing their ridiculous revenues with their players and put an end to their ticky tack rules that will punish a player for taking a second helping of spaghetti while the coaches and colleges live large.

35-125K a year is a good start on a college fund

They have to find a way to get Jalen Green on the Celtics. He and Jaylen Brown on the same team is just too amusing not to do it.
We came very close to Allen Ray and Ray Allen on the same team but the idiot went to play in Italy. Fun fact, later on the other idiot went to play in Miami.
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#45 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:14 pm

GWVan wrote:
Taget wrote:I don't like it because most kids won't make the NBA including top recruits and a 4 year college degree is worth a hell of a lot more than what the NBA-GL is offering them.

35-125K a year is a good start on a college fund

They have to find a way to get Jalen Green on the Celtics. He and Jaylen Brown on the same team is just too amusing not to do it.
We came very close to Allen Ray and Ray Allen on the same team but the idiot went to play in Italy. Fun fact, later on the other idiot went to play in Miami.

Actually, they get an automatic college scholarship along with the deal.
Not sure when they would use it, though.

Ernest wrote:Why not just have G league teams play a lot of games in Europe too. League could probably make more money. I imagine it's hard to fill stands in America for G league but abroad I bet it's not. Free European tour vacation would make it even more of a good deal to an 18 year old.

They're not locked-in to playing only in the U.S., or the G-League, for that matter.
The "Ignite" will play Exhibitions, and can play abroad.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,324

Post#46 » by Zaschrona » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:46 pm

What a terrible idea this is. If NBA wants to higher up the interest in G-League they should allow 18-year old players to enter the draft, but with the rule that they have to spend their entire first year playing in the G-League for that team's farm team. Imagine the hype around Zion for the whole year. People would then actually watch G-League.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: G-League may start Nov./Dec., in a Bubble – incl. Select "Ignite" Team 

Post#47 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:21 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#48 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Is it? None of these kids are going to school for four years. This is for players who want to be pro basketball players and get to their first NBA contract as quickly as possible. If they go to school, it's for one year regardless of how bad/injured they are in that one year. Jalen Green signed for 500k and can sign endorsement deals. Won't have to play for a dick head college coach, sounds pretty nice. I can't find exact details, but players receive a college scholarship as part of signing to the Ignite team anyway. Not sure if full, or partial or whatever, but I don't see the downside unless you just really love playing terrible college basketball for a year.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#49 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:33 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:

Is it? None of these kids are going to school for four years. This is for players who want to be pro basketball players and get to their first NBA contract as quickly as possible. If they go to school, it's for one year regardless of how bad/injured they are in that one year. Jalen Green signed for 500k and can sign endorsement deals. Won't have to play for a dick head college coach, sounds pretty nice. I can't find exact details, but players receive a college scholarship as part of signing to the Ignite team anyway. Not sure if full, or partial or whatever, but I don't see the downside unless you just really love playing terrible college basketball for a year.

Yep. They receive a full scholarship, as part of the Select contract. When and whether they take it or not, is up to them.
But, time is ticking on those bodies. They can go to school, when they retire.

https://gleague.nba.com/professionalpath/
What off-the-court opportunities are afforded to players signed to Select Contracts?

The NBA G League is working on the specific opportunities for players signed to Select Contracts, which will include academic scholarships, life skills training and mentorship programs.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#50 » by Taget » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:09 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:

A lucky handful will be drafted. A bunch more might gamble incorrectly and end up un-drafted and may or may not end up okay. Most assuming their school is looking after them will spend all four years there. Including a few who may be top recruits and may end up just not developing into the NBA talent people assume. If as stated above they can get a scholarship to a 4 year school and more importantly can get admission, great. But if you can get a free ride into a top school that takes care of their students like Duke. That's still a better deal. Even the best players and even in their teens are one injury away from losing everything. The degree will last.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: G-League may start Nov./Dec., in a Bubble – incl. Select "Ignite" Team 

Post#51 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:42 pm

Maybe a guy like Kai Sotto is taking a risk, but otherwise if you're a top-20 RSCI recruit, you are definitely better off taking money from the G-League. Those guys get drafted almost 100 pct of the time even if they suck in college.

And even if Kai ends up sucking, he's going to make bank in endorsements as a tall-ass filipino kid for the next four years that would not be available to him if he were beholden to the NCAA. You get paid, you play in a system that more closely resembles NBA basketball, you don't have to listen to some terd college coach, you can market yourself and make endorsement money. Only downside is you probably have to live in Dayton, Ohio or something.

Take Simisola Shittu a few years ago. High recruit, goes to Vandy for one year, elects to enter draft and goes undrafted. Would he have been better off signing with the Ignite and making 125k plus whatever endorsement he can procure? Or 1 year of Vanderbilt education? I suppose it depends on if he flames out and if he will finish his degree at Vanderbilt (does he get a full ride scholarship?)
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: G-League may start in a Bubble – incl. Select "Ignite" Team 

Post#52 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:52 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#53 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:43 am

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#54 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#55 » by captain green » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:55 am

Ok wtf actually is the ignite team? Is it just another team?
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#56 » by Parliament10 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:06 am

captain green wrote:Ok wtf actually is the ignite team? Is it just another team?

It's the prospect team, for 18+ yr olds.

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#57 » by captain green » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:17 am

So they put all the best players on this team to play against the other teams?
That makes no sense to me. If I was any other team I'd be circling the date I played this team out of disrespect.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#58 » by Parliament10 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:23 am

captain green wrote:So they put all the best players on this team to play against the other teams?
That makes no sense to me. If I was any other team I'd be circling the date I played this team out of disrespect.

It's an experimental thing. The Ignite team is not actually part of the G-League.
They'll be playing exhibition games and so forth.

You gotta read up on it.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: G-League News, 2020-21 – No 45-Day Limit on Two-Way players 

Post#59 » by Parliament10 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter