ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread X [marks the spot] (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Context
RealGM
And1: 11,880

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread X [marks the spot] (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) 

Post#1761 » by Context » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:11 am

Capn'O wrote:
Context wrote:Now I can speak freely...
The Knicks need to get LaMelo Ball. Period.

Killian!

I know Cap...thats your favorite but:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
:lol:
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread X [marks the spot] (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) 

Post#1762 » by F N 11 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:13 am

Juco24 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Vassell got the Rafiki jumper

DAMN! :lol: :lol:

Violation
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,603

Post#1763 » by Capn'O » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:21 am

Context wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Killian!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I honestly haven't looked at Ball much as I wasn't in range and then moved the pick. Some of the concerns with him are typical no-goes for me but I also know he has some transformational skills. KH is more rounded but maybe not with the ceiling?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,927

Post#1764 » by stuporman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:23 am

robillionaire wrote:Conspiracy theory the knicks made him (vassell) a promise and he’s doing his part to make sure nobody else drafts him because he wants to be in NY

LaMelo too.....the long con
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#1765 » by DOT » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:27 am

Capn'O wrote:
I honestly haven't looked at Ball much as I wasn't in range and then moved the pick. Some of the concerns with him are typical no-goes for me but I also know he has some transformational skills. KH is more rounded but maybe not with the ceiling?

Ball is insanely raw as a scorer and is pretty bad on defense, but he does make great passes

My big concern for him is, for as good as people say he is at playmaking, his team was dead last in FG%, 3PT%, and PPG in the NBL last year, so for as good a passer as he is, he really didn't seem to elevate his teammates' play.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Context
RealGM

Post#1766 » by Context » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 am

Capn'O wrote:
Context wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Killian!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Im definitely not gonna **** on Killian because I have Ball. I studied killian extensively. He seems to have a killer work ethic.
I expect him -if he puts the time in to be able to use his right like his left. I just dont know what his transition will be like in the nba...

As far as Ball I just think nothing fazes him. I also think he's had to not only deal with his dad but also his older brothers. His
dad has been programing all of his sons since their birth to play this game. So for me I think his greatest strength is his mental make up and thats what I think will propel him into eventually being a franchise player...
Spoiler:
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1767 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 am

Juco24 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Juco24 wrote:If you guys go back and look at the video FN11 shared, the guy said something about Vassell that I didn't know/realize. He said "When Vassell shoots from that deep, he ALWAYS cocks it back- even when he was @ FSU. It's his deeper than the 3pt line shot."

I went back and looked at the video and sure enough Vassell was much deeper than @ the 3 line. Is this actually true? No clue - as I couldn't find any clips of Vassell in a game shooting that deep. Will say this though: That makes a helluva lot more sense!

Vassell is back as my top selection (if we stay @ 8)

Not true. Ive never seen him shoot it from behind the head like that ever.

Look how far he's behind the 3 point line... that was this guy's point.... that shot on the video going around is the same shot Vassell has always been taking... WHEN HE'S SHOOTING WELL BEYOND THE 3 LINE and that his form has NOT changed when shooting AT THE 3PT LINE.

Again I couldn't find anything to confirm what this guy stated

Just to try to figure it out, that 3 pt line shown is 19.75 ft and the NBA range 3 at that spot is 23.75 ft, so 4 feet behind the line in that pic. I’d say he’s more than 4 feet back so it’s definitely NBA range but I don’t think it’s THAT far back
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,927

Post#1768 » by stuporman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:44 am

Maxie has to be able to guard 1s while playing offense like a 2, a 3&D locking and popping at the 1 with some switch ability because he's strong and long. He's not a true PG in any way but if he can do that well he has a role in the new nba, quite a useful role in it.

Not sure he's the right pick for the Knicks but he would be a terror if used to his abilities on a playoff team one of those winning teams just outside of the lottery.

Doubt he gets to 27
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,536

Post#1769 » by aggo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:51 am

"we need Lamelo Ball"

ok.

Ask yourself if Ben Simmons would be ranked higher than Lamelo Ball based on their tape at the same point of development.

Spoiler:
Ball sucks and his ceiling after 2 years in the NBA IS what Simmons already was IN college.
Simmons was hanging and banging at the rim with 20lbs more lean mass than Ball in college.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#1770 » by RHODEY » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:52 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:This is damage control, they were not messing around there and you can clearly see he's serious in the video.

It very well could be, but I'll be damned if I let a random 20 second clip on the internet discourage his entire career. I'm sure NBA teams are going to know better than us. Even with the release I'd take him if we stay at 8 without a problem.

His shot mechanics in college looked like someone who doesn't have the strength to shoot the NBA three reliably, that video was him shooting from NBA distance and having to use a new form to get the ball to the hoop. They deleted it cause they knew how bad it was and are now trying to spin the damage control.

With that release he won't ever be a good shooter, there's too many moving parts in addition to having to jump so much. If you take him 8 and he failts to be a 38-41% three point shooter it would be a disaster because he has very little to offer on offense outside of the potential to shoot. He's not worth the risk, his freethrow percentage and this video in general should be a massive red flag.

LOL

aggo
RealGM

Post#1771 » by aggo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:57 am

The greatest mystery in sports is how people can watch NBA all day and come away convinced Lamelo Ball is

1/ the best prospect in this draft
2/ anyone "needs" him so badly

can't defend, can't hang and bang at the rim, isn't explosive, can't shoot.

By the way, did we mention hes supposed to play PG? LOL
Context
RealGM

Post#1772 » by Context » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:03 am

aggo wrote:The greatest mystery in sports is how people can watch NBA all day and come away convinced Lamelo Ball is

i want to know one thing- if ball becomes that franchise player- what will you come on this forum and write?
Spoiler:
aggo
RealGM

Post#1773 » by aggo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:05 am

Context wrote:
aggo wrote:The greatest mystery in sports is how people can watch NBA all day and come away convinced Lamelo Ball is

i want to know one thing- if ball becomes that franchise player- what will you come on this forum and write?

Nothing, I saw the tape. He could always reach his max potential, which is basically Simmons, but what's his floor? WHat's the most likely outcome?

a slower post injury Shaun Livingston?

What's the most likely outcome of a PG that probably shoots 25% from three between years 1-3 in the league?
Context
RealGM

Post#1774 » by Context » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:06 am

aggo wrote:
Context wrote:

Nothing, I saw the tape. He could always reach his max potential, which is basically Simmons, but what's his floor?

What's the most likely outcome of a PG that probably shoots 25% from three between years 1-3 in the league?

can Simmons even make a 2? :lol:
Spoiler:
aggo
RealGM

Post#1775 » by aggo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:09 am

"hes great at passing"

Since when was this a great indicator for success in the NBA?

Go look at Dangelo Russell's passing in college
Go look at Lonzo Ball's passing in college
Go look at Ben Simmon's passing in college

if you actually did that and came away thinking "wow, Lamelo is such a better PG and "passing" at the same time in development as these 3 guys" im sorry, you just suck at evaluating prospects.

and btw, Lonzo won't get paid for his passing.
Daneglo Russell isn't paid for his passing
and you could even ARGUE that Ben Simmons isn't paid for his passing.

But yeah, go on believing that Ball is some 10x better passer than every "bigger point guard" drafted recently
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,959

Post#1776 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:31 am

Context wrote:
aggo wrote:
Context wrote:i want to know one thing- if ball becomes that franchise player- what will you come on this forum and write?

Nothing, I saw the tape. He could always reach his max potential, which is basically Simmons, but what's his floor?

Lol I have the same questions about Lamelo, but when it comes to Simmons, at least I know I’ll get 15 a game efficiently from him as well as great defense, and some triple doubles
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1777 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:32 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Context wrote:
aggo wrote:

Lol I have the same questions about Lamelo, but when it comes to Simmons, at least I know I’ll get 15 a game efficiently from him as well as great defense.

sure, and ben simmons is a perennial all star. and was the 1st pick. are we supposed to be upset about this

lamelo will likely make more 3s in his first nba game than ben simmons has made in his career. quote it and sig it. it's a terrible comparison. ben simmons is afraid to even shoot

and yes lamelo is a better passer
Context
RealGM

Post#1778 » by Context » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 am

robillionaire wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:
Context wrote:can Simmons even make a 2? :lol:

Lol I have the same questions about Lamelo, but when it comes to Simmons, at least I know I’ll get 15 a game efficiently from him as well as great defense.

sure, and ben simmons is a perennial all star. and was the 1st pick. are we supposed to be upset about this

lamelo will likely make more 3s in his first nba game than ben simmons has made in his career. quote it and sig it. it's a terrible comparison. ben simmons is afraid to even shoot

and yes lamelo is a better passer

when i saw that - I laughed my ass off and said to myself - I am not wasting my time...Ben doesnt shoot wtf are they talking about :lol: they just want to hate Melo because of his dad or show :lol:

I would have been riding with you in this thread but I had to keep quite because I had the #2 pick and wanted to draft him-
check the sig...I ended up moving up when the 1st pick got traded to take him- didnt want to take a chance...
Spoiler:
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#1779 » by RHODEY » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:28 am

Context wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Killian!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Context
RealGM

Post#1780 » by Context » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:37 am

RHODEY wrote:
Context wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Killian!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler: