ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Draft Thread, Part 2

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#801 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:55 pm

wco81 wrote:Is Okoro's defense better than Thybulle's defense when he was coming out last year?

For his great defense, 76ers still underachieved so wing defense may be overrated.

Yes, but no.

Okoro is thick. And really strong. More like a Jimmy Butler type on D.

I would say Vassell is a lot like Thybulle. But obviously Bassell better on offense. And I’d give Thybulle the edge on defense, but Vassell is close.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#802 » by HiRez » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:53 pm

Old_Blue wrote:Maybe it's just the times we live in, but I am preparing to be totally disappointed with this entire draft. It just feels like the worst draft in the history of drafts, one that nobody is really enthused about. The entire lot of prospects is flawed in one way or another, an island of misfit toys observers are trying to justify would complement one team or another. Add to that multiple reports of teams wanting to trade down in order to avoid higher draft pick salaries, it wouldn't surprise me at all if more than one team simply sold their pick for cash considerations. What a year to be picking #2. Instead of being jazzed about this draft, I'm just hoping the the Warriors avoid stepping in dog poop. Wish I could be more optimistic, but I just don't see how with these choices.

I see it a bit differently, it's sketchy at the very top, but there's at least 10 guys I'm very interested in who could be very good (and even a few more lower down like Bey and Bane). I won't be surprised if this draft produces zero superstars but lots of All-Stars.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#803 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:57 pm

It’s a much better draft than many will admit. The narrative has been set, so no changing that. But there’s quite a few good prospects.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#804 » by jason bourne » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:26 pm

Coxy wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:The more I hear teams like San Antonio, and the Celtics would like to move up for Wiseman, it just helps reaffirm what I’ve always thought.

They won't trade Tatum, Brown, or Smart. I think the Ws would take Smart and some of their FRPs. Instead, they want to get rid of Hayward and Theis and get Wiggins + #2.

I think you missed the point bourne. Mylie is stating that if quality drafting orginisations like San Antonio and Boston think Wiseman is a big time prospect enough to trade up for, then it's prudent to think that Wiseman might be pretty good, if they think so.

Wiseman is a foundation piece for a ball club. We need to draft him.

I understand what you are saying, but Wiseman won't be an All-Star or be ready to start until 2023. Our core will be too old by then.

Before then, Ramon Shelbourne of ESPN thinks the Warriors can get Giannis in 2021 --
Read on Twitter

Kostas getting a ring will open his brothers eyes! The downside is the Ws will have to give up Draymond or Klay. That's why getting a deep threat or Obi Toppin in this draft would be nice.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#805 » by Coxy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:21 pm

jason bourne wrote:
Coxy wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
They won't trade Tatum, Brown, or Smart. I think the Ws would take Smart and some of their FRPs. Instead, they want to get rid of Hayward and Theis and get Wiggins + #2.

I think you missed the point bourne. Mylie is stating that if quality drafting orginisations like San Antonio and Boston think Wiseman is a big time prospect enough to trade up for, then it's prudent to think that Wiseman might be pretty good, if they think so.

I understand what you are saying, but Wiseman won't be an All-Star or be ready to start until 2023. Our core will be too old by then.

Before then, Ramon Shelbourne of ESPN thinks the Warriors can get Giannis in 2021 --
Read on Twitter

Kostas getting a ring will open his brothers eyes! The downside is the Ws will have to give up Draymond or Klay. That's why getting a deep threat or Obi Toppin in this draft would be nice.

You have no idea about Wiseman and what he’ll be, or when he’ll be making an impact in the NBA. You’re so full of it.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#806 » by jason bourne » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 pm

In other news, it seems only the Knicks and Warriors have interviewed LaMelo Ball so far...

"The NBA Draft is still a little more than a month away. Prospects are recording interviews. Prospects are making recording training videos. Let’s talk about it, shall we?

We begin with LaMelo Ball, the presumptive No. 1 overall pick. A dude with his pedigree must have spoken to every team in the lottery at least once over the past few months, right?

Wrong. LaMelo went Jalen and Jacoby and revealed that only two teams have chatted with him during the leadup to the draft: the Knicks and the Warriors."

Read on Twitter
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#807 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:39 pm

jason bourne wrote:In other news, it seems only the Knicks and Warriors have interviewed LaMelo Ball so far...

"The NBA Draft is still a little more than a month away. Prospects are recording interviews. Prospects are making recording training videos. Let’s talk about it, shall we?

We begin with LaMelo Ball, the presumptive No. 1 overall pick. A dude with his pedigree must have spoken to every team in the lottery at least once over the past few months, right?

Wrong. LaMelo went Jalen and Jacoby and revealed that only two teams have chatted with him during the leadup to the draft: the Knicks and the Warriors."

Read on Twitter

That's because a deal is in place to send LaMelo to the Knicks in a trade with the Warriors ;)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#808 » by jason bourne » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 am

Coxy wrote:
jason bourne wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Read on Twitter

You have no idea about Wiseman and what he’ll be, or when he’ll be making an impact in the NBA. You’re so full of it.

I checked on the Spurs before posting and they wanted Okongwu or Toppin. Those are the two whom I wanted the Warriors draft if they wanted a big man. Do you want the link?

Also, I haven't heard anything about the Celtics wanting Wiseman. On realgm, one or few Celtics' fans were willing to give up more than Gordon Hayward in trade.

Wouldn't you think either of those teams would've contacted the Warriors if they wanted Wiseman? He's the most likely not to go to the the TWolves. I think the Warriors will settle for LaMelo or Anthony Edwards if they're there at #2.

I don't think the Warriors want a Hassan Whiteside. They may have taken a chance on a higher ceiling DeAndre Jordan as I would have, but we didn't see enough of Wiseman. He quit his team. He didn't go overseas to play pro ball or even contact the G-League. I think he's lazy and has no heart, i.e. sawft. That's a red flag for me.

Here's a fairly neutral article on Wiseman -- https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/12/21/21031750/james-wiseman-nba-draft-2020-memphis-tigers-scouting-report. Had Wiseman finished the season with the Tigers, then I might've put him in the back of the top ten.

ImageImage
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#809 » by Coxy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:33 am

jason bourne wrote:
Coxy wrote:
jason bourne wrote:

Read on Twitter

I checked on the Spurs before posting and they wanted Okongwu or Toppin. Those are the two whom I wanted the Warriors draft if they wanted a big man. Do you want the link?

Also, I haven't heard anything about the Celtics wanting Wiseman. On realgm, one or few Celtics' fans were willing to give up more than Gordon Hayward in trade.

Wouldn't you think either of those teams would've contacted the Warriors if they wanted Wiseman? He's the most likely not to go to the the TWolves. I think the Warriors will settle for LaMelo or Anthony Edwards if they're there at #2.

I don't think the Warriors want a Hassan Whiteside. They may have taken a chance on a higher ceiling DeAndre Jordan as I would have, but we didn't see enough of Wiseman. He quit his team. He didn't go overseas to play pro ball or even contact the G-League. I think he's lazy and has no heart, i.e. sawft. That's a red flag for me.

Here's a fairly neutral article on Wiseman -- https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/12/21/21031750/james-wiseman-nba-draft-2020-memphis-tigers-scouting-report. Had Wiseman finished the season with the Tigers, then I might've put him in the back of the top ten.

Haha you checked in with the Spurs did you? Did you do coffee with Pop? What exactly did he say? If you just checked in with the Spurs RealGM board and that’s what they said, LMAO. This is a fan website dude, not real life. Nobody knows what the teams and their GMs are wanting to do, quit talking like your opinion matters, it doesn’t.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 845

Post#810 » by DevinVassell » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:34 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
jason bourne wrote:In other news, it seems only the Knicks and Warriors have interviewed LaMelo Ball so far...

Read on Twitter

That's because a deal is in place to send LaMelo to the Knicks in a trade with the Warriors ;)

Maybe I am off base here but this is surprising to me.

I realize we are still a month out from the draft but just two teams have bothered to get off their dairy airs and get in contact? Whether you like LaMelo or not, you would think every team in the top ten would have spoken to him. What are these multi million dollar franchise front offices doing with their time? Twiddling their thumbs and watching youtube highlights everyday? Jesus Christ, in a pandemic when there is a lack of scouting information on players, it's not hard to set up a bloody zoom interview and talk with someone. Do your due diligence.

Anyway as much as I don't want him, glad the Warriors have been in contact.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#811 » by ShayDee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:07 am

jason bourne wrote:
Read on Twitter

You know what I believe about Ball?

He is lying to his teeth and acting weird in interviews to tank his draft spot so it will be easier for the knicks to trade up for him
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#812 » by HiRez » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:05 am

Maybe Ball refused to interview with the other teams? I agree it's odd, but possible. Curry refused to interview with the Warriors, didn't he?

The big question is just how desperate are the Knicks to move up to get him? If it's true that Minny is looking to trade down, that decreases our leverage so it seems unlikely we'll get a big haul for the #2.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#813 » by BW32 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:25 am

Watch the Wolves take Ball as a trade "asset" and play themselves because no one trades for him.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#814 » by ShayDee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:55 am

Hold up. Someone posted this months ago and I just brushed over the Dude. After piecing all the puzzles of our needs, draft this man. Although he makes good decisions most of the time, he has shot selection issues and after looking deeper, he is kinda turnover prone.

But he is extremely versatile, can play multiple positions, can defend 1-3. 4s if adds strength, can pass, handle, drive, has a floater game. and can hit shots if open. So he can spot up in the corner. I think he is an advanced McKinnie and could be close to Iggy with some developments

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#815 » by azwfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:02 am

ShayDee wrote:
wco81 wrote:Is Okoro's defense better than Thybulle's defense when he was coming out last year?

For his great defense, 76ers still underachieved so wing defense may be overrated.

The worrisome thing about Okoros defense to me is his low STL% and BLK% for being a defensive stopper. Thybulle's or even any other defensive player has way higher values than him. I guess he didn't like to take risks

For context,

Okoro: 0.9 Stl/g 0.9 blk/g 1.7 STL% 3.1 BLK%
Thybulle(final year): 3,5 stl/g, 2.3blk/g 6.7 STL%, 8.4 BLK%

That's why I think Okoro is overrated a bit by alot of people. In a normal draft he won't be in the lottery But the draft being weak has elevated him

Okoro is an elite on the ball defender and extremely strong enabling him to defend bigs.

He does not have elite measurements and is not an elite team defender (more like good). This is why his stls and blks are low.

Vassell is pretty much the opposite. Elite team defender and good on the ball. Not as strong, but more length.

The primary thing that sets them apart from each other imo is Okoro has got that “it” factor, the dog in him, the aggressiveness and intensity that dont really see in Vassell. Someone here said Jimmy Butler like. Ive also heard Ron Artest like. Okoro makes our defense stronger and our team tougher.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#816 » by Mylie10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

ShayDee wrote:Hold up. Someone posted this months ago and I just brushed over the Dude. After piecing all the puzzles of our needs, draft this man. Although he makes good decisions most of the time, he has shot selection issues and after looking deeper, he is kinda turnover prone.

But he is extremely versatile, can play multiple positions, can defend 1-3. 4s if adds strength, can pass, handle, drive, has a floater game. and can hit shots if open. So he can spot up in the corner. I think he is an advanced McKinnie and could be close to Iggy with some developments

That was me. I’ve quieted down on it, because I don’t have the energy to post about the second round. But dude would be a great fit and has a 7’2” wingspan.
Khoee wrote “
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#817 » by ShayDee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:07 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:Hold up. Someone posted this months ago and I just brushed over the Dude. After piecing all the puzzles of our needs, draft this man. Although he makes good decisions most of the time, he has shot selection issues and after looking deeper, he is kinda turnover prone.

That was me. I’ve quieted down on it, because I don’t have the energy to post about the second round. But dude would be a great fit and has a 7’2” wingspan.

We have to start loving the 2nd round prospects guys. We are almost guaranteed to not use the TPE, and 2nd round prospects will be almost better than the min FA we sign. On a cheaper longer term deal as well
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,182

Post#818 » by xdrta+ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm

ShayDee wrote:We have to start loving the 2nd round prospects guys. We are almost guaranteed to not use the TPE, and 2nd round prospects will be almost better than the min FA we sign. On a cheaper longer term deal as well

What makes us almost guaranteed to not use the TE? I would say the opposite.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#819 » by Little Digger » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:48 pm

ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#820 » by BW32 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:34 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
ShayDee wrote:We have to start loving the 2nd round prospects guys. We are almost guaranteed to not use the TPE, and 2nd round prospects will be almost better than the min FA we sign. On a cheaper longer term deal as well

What makes us almost guaranteed to not use the TE? I would say the opposite.

The Covid economy.

Return to Golden State Warriors