Fred VanVleet Could Get Similar Contract To Malcolm Brogdon

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Fred VanVleet Could Get Similar Contract To Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:06 pm

Malcolm Brogdon's contract with the Indiana Pacers is a barometer for what Fred VanVleet could expect to earn this offseason, sources told Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.

Brogdon signed a four-year, $85 million deal with the Pacers last offseason.

Bondy adds that the Raptors remain the favorites to re-sign VanVleet, though the Pistons, Suns, and Knicks are also interested.

The 26-year-old VanVleet averaged 17.6 points and 6.6 assists last season.  

Via Stefan Bondy/New York Daily News

Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,897

Re: Fred VanVleet Could Get Similar Contract To Malcolm Brogdon 

Post#2 » by Jabroni Lames » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:46 pm

Your weekly “VanVleet is gonna get overpaid” update. FVV is a $15M/yr player. A 3rd or 4th option. Brogdon is way better.
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#3 » by ebrian » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:14 am

Without sounding like too much of a homer, I think FVV can be as good as Kyle Lowry, some day. That's his ceiling, and when you consider Lowry has only made "the big bucks" over the last 3-4 years of his career, you can't be giving FVV $21M per at this stage of his. His next contract, definitely $22-25M per, but it's way too soon for that kind of dough.

I think Brogdan is a similar type of player (more offense, less defense) which is why Indiana finds themselves out of the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference despite the fact that they're just $5.7M of salaies away from paying the luxury tax. If you give guys like this too much money, it hinders your chances to add/sign franchise-level talent.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#4 » by MitchB3 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:Your weekly “VanVleet is gonna get overpaid” update. FVV is a $15M/yr player. A 3rd or 4th option. Brogdon is way better.

How exactly is Brogdon better?
MitchB3
Starter

Post#5 » by MitchB3 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 am

I hope the Raptors keep him, because if they lose out on him then this team will be in a bit of trouble.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Post#6 » by Lockdown504090 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:19 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:Your weekly “VanVleet is gonna get overpaid” update. FVV is a $15M/yr player. A 3rd or 4th option. Brogdon is way better.

he can score and defend size better than fred. brogdon wouldnt have gotten locked by the celtics this year and philly last year like fred did.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

he can score and defend size better than fred. brogdon wouldnt have gotten locked by the celtics this year and philly last year like fred did.

I'm not sure about the scoring part, but as for the defending part I'm taking Fred.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,897

Post#8 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:18 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

I'm not sure about the scoring part, but as for the defending part I'm taking Fred.

FVV is pretty limited as a defender, though. In the Celtics series, Tatum and Brown got switches onto FVV and just shot right over him on the perimeter.... again and again. Duncan Robinson also shoots right over him.

If FVV is chasing Steph or Kemba around a Box & 1, then he looks like a star. But Box & 1 is a gimmick defense and Brad Stevens eventually figured out how to exploit it for backdoor dunks.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#9 » by MitchB3 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:he can score and defend size better than fred. brogdon wouldnt have gotten locked by the celtics this year and philly last year like fred did.

FVV is pretty limited as a defender, though. In the Celtics series, Tatum and Brown got switches onto FVV and just shot right over him on the perimeter.... again and again. Duncan Robinson also shoots right over him.

If FVV is chasing Steph or Kemba around a Box & 1, then he looks like a star. But Box & 1 is a gimmick defense and Brad Stevens eventually figured out how to exploit it for backdoor dunks.

You say this but the Raptors also had a chance to win game 7, don't act as those Brad Steven figured it out and the won in 5 or 6 games. They won in a very close game 7 and should the Raptors hit more shots or even FVV hit that 3 pretty sure we're talking about a whole different series.

Return to Wiretap Discussion