69%

Total votes: 58

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,670

Re: Sekou to Orlando? 

Post#21 » by Invictus88 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:36 pm

jakebernat wrote:what a stupid post. I wonder who voted “yes” :lol:

Most logically the OP. They at least thought it was debatable enough to warrant a poll.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#22 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Manocad wrote:Absolutely. Then:

1. Trade the player picked 15th this year for another team’s 15th pick in next year’s draft
2. ?
3. Championship

You are wise beyond your years
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#23 » by bstein14 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm

People are always going to have an attachment to the player they have rooted for. The truth is, Sekou has been pretty disappointing from what I've seen.

Obviously if Sekou really puts the work in, he is going to be a solid NBA player. We will know a lot more when we see how he comes out to play in January. It just feels like its been a long time in Detroit since we've seen a young player take a big leap forward into something to be excited about.

There are plenty of people here who wouldn't have traded Stanley Johnson after his first season in Detroit, for the #7 pick the following year (Jamal Murray).... Johnson was able to play 73 games at 23.1 MPG and shot horrible %s but really showed defensive promise. Sekou played just 38 games at 19.8 MPG and shot horrible %s.

I would argue that it was one of Dumars' largest mistakes, now cashing out on Darko when it was clear we were close to having enough to repeat as NBA champions. Dumars for sure could have gotten enough in return before the 2005 trade deadline to land us enough fire power off the bench to win again in 2005.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#24 » by rmfc » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:50 pm

bstein14 wrote:People are always going to have an attachment to the player they have rooted for. The truth is, Sekou has been pretty disappointing from what I've seen.

Agreed but Sekou has only been in the league for one season. Despite having several disappointing performances, Sekou did show flashes of intriguing potential. Unlike the 2005 Pistons, this current Pistons version can afford to be patient with Sekou. Hopefully, he grows up a little this upcoming season.

I would give him one more season to showcase his talent and motivation for the game.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,368

Post#25 » by Billl » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Sekou shot a low percentage from deep, but I would be shocked if it stays that way. His shot looks really nice and he looks comfortable shooting it.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,942

Post#26 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 pm

bstein14 wrote:I would argue that it was one of Dumars' largest mistakes, now cashing out on Darko when it was clear we were close to having enough to repeat as NBA champions. Dumars for sure could have gotten enough in return before the 2005 trade deadline to land us enough fire power off the bench to win again in 2005.

Darko broke his hand (with help from a Flaker) and missed the offseason, so we weren't going to get a lottery pick. Part of the challenge was Davidson refusing to go over the cap for a championship team. What Larry Brown would've wanted for Darko -- a veteran backup guard/forward -- would've almost certainly done that.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,881

Post#27 » by tmorgan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:52 am

Sekou hasn’t moved on my personal evaluation radar yet, good or bad. He had a solid start, fell off badly, and did some childish stuff. He’s a child, so no surprise there. On draft day, if an offer comes in and you know exactly what you can get and there’s a player you like better, sure. But 15, right now, no.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#28 » by MotownMadness » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Is Sekou 6'8 or 6'9? He looks pretty tall
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,041

Post#29 » by Laimbeer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:20 pm

I've got his value as a bit less than when we drafted him. Nineteen, high ceiling, yeah, but his rookie season was brutal. Not to mention murmurs about his approach to the game.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,736

Post#30 » by Snakebites » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:42 pm

The value probably isn't off, if we're being honest. I don't read much into what we've seen of him so far, but he certainly hasn't played his way into more value than he had at 15 last year, and he's at least as many years away as whoever gets drafted at 15 this year, so there isn't really a timeline issue there either.

The proposed move is pointless though, unless Sekou simply doesn't fit in with Weaver's vision- which is hard to see given our relative lack of young assets- what is there not to fit into?
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,074

Post#31 » by NYPiston » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:43 am

Sekou disappointing? He's 19 and never played ball in North America until this year. He played well in the G League got promoted showed some flashes and yes, struggles, on a team that was an absolute disaster and some people are ready to throw in the towel with him? Give me a break. Ridiculous.

He's raw and has a lot of athleticism with a game that has a lot of growth potential. You need to be patient with him, work with him and try to get the best out of him. He's the type of high upside project that the Pistons haven't had in a very long time so he needs to be a big focus of development going forward and it will take time. It's absurd to have any talk of trading him. He's probably the only Pistons player outside of the two old guys and Wood with any real talent.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#32 » by Manocad » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:57 am

Snakebites wrote:The value probably isn't off, if we're being honest. I don't read much into what we've seen of him so far, but he certainly hasn't played his way into more value than he had at 15 last year, and he's at least as many years away as whoever gets drafted at 15 this year, so there isn't really a timeline issue there either.

The proposed move is pointless though, unless Sekou simply doesn't fit in with Weaver's vision- which is hard to see given our relative lack of young assets- what is there not to fit into?

Yeah, giving up on 19 year old rookie to draft a 19 year old one-and-done doesn't seem to be a clear move forward.

Now, if #15 was a 6'6' slashing G/SF with an outside shot who was a 21 year old junior from Villanova? Perhaps a little more intriguing.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#33 » by SamFlow » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:40 pm

now if they offered the 15 pick for former 2 pick Darko.... I'd strongly consider it.
BigDaddyJungle
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,453

Post#34 » by Canadafan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:24 pm

SamFlow wrote:now if they offered the 15 pick for former 2 pick Darko.... I'd strongly consider it.

God that whole chain of events really was a horrible time in pistons history lol
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,223

Post#35 » by thesack12 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:57 pm

Canadafan wrote:
SamFlow wrote:now if they offered the 15 pick for former 2 pick Darko.... I'd strongly consider it.

God that whole chain of events really was a horrible time in pistons history lol

Idk, Winning the 'ship the year they drafted Darko then taking the Spurs to 7 games in the following year's Finals didn't seem all that bad.

If that was a horrible time in Pistons' history, I don't think anybody has invented a word yet to truly describe the ghastly nature of the last 12 years of Pistons' history.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by Canadafan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:26 am

thesack12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Idk, Winning the 'ship the year they drafted Darko then taking the Spurs to 7 games in the following year's Finals didn't seem all that bad.

If that was a horrible time in Pistons' history, I don't think anybody has invented a word yet to truly describe the ghastly nature of the last 12 years of Pistons' history.

Well, I'd like to assume u know I meant the move that was totally irrelevant to winning 6straight eastern finals, back to back NBA Finals appearances whilst winning 1 title. And then because of that move, led us to getting Stuckey which in turn led us to trading Chauncey which in turn led us to said horrible time in pistons history also aptly named the ghastly nature of the last 12 years of Pistons history. :D
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,223

Post#37 » by thesack12 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 am

Canadafan wrote:Well, I'd like to assume u know I meant the move that was totally irrelevant to winning 6straight eastern finals, back to back NBA Finals appearances whilst winning 1 title. And then because of that move, led us to getting Stuckey which in turn led us to trading Chauncey which in turn led us to said horrible time in pistons history also aptly named the ghastly nature of the last 12 years of Pistons history. :D

Its all butterfly effect type stuff.

If Detroit drafts Melo @ 2 that year, who knows how the team would have fared. There's a chance they might not have been as good as they were. With Melo in the lineup, they obviously wouldn't of had Tay's defense on the floor which would have been a huge loss with how the game was back then. Melo's mentality and style could have also had an adverse effect on the massive amount of chemistry that team had as well.

We'll never know, but I know I'm not unhappy with my memories of those 03-08 teams. Would have loved another 'ship though.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by Canadafan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:55 am

thesack12 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Well, I'd like to assume u know I meant the move that was totally irrelevant to winning 6straight eastern finals, back to back NBA Finals appearances whilst winning 1 title. And then because of that move, led us to getting Stuckey which in turn led us to trading Chauncey which in turn led us to said horrible time in pistons history also aptly named the ghastly nature of the last 12 years of Pistons history. :D

Its all butterfly effect type stuff.

If Detroit drafts Melo @ 2 that year, who knows how the team would have fared. There's a chance they might not have been as good as they were. With Melo in the lineup, they obviously wouldn't of had Tay's defense on the floor which would have been a huge loss with how the game was back then. Melo's mentality and style could have also had an adverse effect on the massive amount of chemistry that team had as well.

We'll never know, but I know I'm not unhappy with my memories of those 03-08 teams. Would have loved another 'ship though.

Me as well. Some of the best times of my life were those years.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#39 » by SamFlow » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:12 am

Canadafan wrote:

I don't blame Darko.... I BLAME OTIS THORPE! If he hadn't played well enough for us to get that trade.

shhhh, the one time we win the lottery we blow it. We all know who we got. I never looked at who we could have got if we would have just stayed lower... 8th or so?

nope 6th, Chris Kaman territory. Probably would have switch Darko with Zarko. PG heavy draft. Kyle Korver was a second rounder.
BigDaddyJungle
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#40 » by Pharaoh » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:39 am

SamFlow wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

I don't blame Darko.... I BLAME OTIS THORPE! If he hadn't played well enough for us to get that trade.

shhhh, the one time we win the lottery we blow it. We all know who we got. I never looked at who we could have got if we would have just stayed lower... 8th or so?

nope 6th, Chris Kaman territory. Probably would have switch Darko with Zarko. PG heavy draft. Kyle Korver was a second rounder.
Assume we take Melo at #2.

LB was a **** so doesn't start him, instead prefers Tayshaun until Melo buys in to playing defence....

Which he eventually does after we make the Sheed trade

BOOM - The five fingered fist becomes 6, we likely still destroy the Lakers in 04 and likely beat the Spurs in 05.

Might have even got another one as slowly Melo rises to true franchise player status (since he's a 2 way player) and carries us through as the guys age.

Melo and Chauncey did well in Denver together so there's no reason to think they couldn't have done well here.

Us v Cavs would have become the rivalry for us years.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons