Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Re: Ladies And Gentlemen, Tyronne Lue 

Post#61 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:03 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
The above reputation is based on a false media narrative.

The players like him (n two different variations of the roster), he's a good strategist, and he'll hold guys accountable.

Couldn't disagree more.

Also, if you dont want to believe me, which is fine, here are some quotes from Jovan Buha:

Stylistically, Lueā€™s Cleveland teams were relatively modern. Heā€™s a more progressive coach than Rivers. He often played small-ball lineups, often with LeBron or Richard Jefferson at the four (picture Leonard or George doing so more often) and downsized the center position by going five-out with Love (imagine JaMychal Green or Marcus Morris Sr.). He even made the difficult decision to bench Love in crunch time of the playoffs in favor of the more defensively capable Tristan Thompson, while maintaining the starā€™s buy-in to the teamā€™s culture.

Some changes that Lue will bring to the Clippers next season include better ball movement and a faster pace, league sources said. The Clippers will experiment more on the defensive end, mixing in more zone coverages and varying pick-and-roll schemes. The younger players on the roster ā€” Ivica Zubac, Landry Shamet, Terance Mann and Mfiondu Kabengele ā€” will be given larger roles and more minutes. The Clippers plan to stagger Leonard and Georgeā€™s minutes more, as well as testing out different role players around them to see what lineup combinations work best.

Came here to post this. Reading that last paragraph made me realize just how stagnant things had gotten under Doc.

At the very least, he will try out stuff for more than 2 minutes at a time before falling back to his tried and true.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#62 » by nickhx2 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:04 pm

lou and harrell need to go. possibly beverley, too. this team is going to have issues when its best player REQUIRES time off, and its role players are the ones chirping. that's the kind of stuff that'll poison an entire locker room. and just honestly that kinda pisses me off. harrell was godawful in the playoffs but he's the one who was crying all season? christ.

also, wasn't there a post or something about how ballmer lost his mind when doc refused to listen to his staff/analytics? i keep hearing something along those lines if anyone could elaborate on it.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#63 » by nickhx2 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 pm

also i saw the headline with gary payton wanting to try out as an assistant HC role. he said he was interested in player development, which seems like it would be good for our young guys. not sure if lue is gonna just stick to billups/drew, but that seems a bit scant for an entire staff.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,803

Post#64 » by esqtvd » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Some changes that Lue will bring to the Clippers next season include better ball movement and a faster pace, league sources said. The Clippers will experiment more on the defensive end, mixing in more zone coverages and varying pick-and-roll schemes. The younger players on the roster ā€” Ivica Zubac, Landry Shamet, Terance Mann and Mfiondu Kabengele ā€” will be given larger roles and more minutes. The Clippers plan to stagger Leonard and Georgeā€™s minutes more, as well as testing out different role players around them to see what lineup combinations work best.

Came here to post this. Reading that last paragraph made me realize just how stagnant things had gotten under Doc.

At the very least, he will try out stuff for more than 2 minutes at a time before falling back to his tried and true.

"Same thing but different" as we used to say in the huddle after a play failed. :-D

We shall see if the problem was the driver or the horses. The only new thing will be getting on the players' sh*t, which Doc didn't. Doc don't do Daddy Day Care. He treated them like adults and they failed. After this gutless collapse they may be more open to Ty kicking some ass--and ironically that's the one thing Doc needs to do with that kindergarten over in Philly lol. Out of the frying pan into the frying pan.

Ty's "changes" are only everything Doc talked about all the time--pace, ball movement. New combinations? Play the young'uns??What, was he supposed to play the G-Leaguers instead of Beverley, Shamet, Senior and the rest when they had barely played together themselves? And expect to beat the Lakers?

This is a one-way ticket. Kawhi and PG both signed off on Ty's hiring but if it's not some magic wand that fixes the deeper problems with this roster, this whole house of cards collapses next summer.

This time next year, Ty and the kids might be the only ones left. :lol:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#65 » by wco81 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:57 pm

esqtvd wrote:This is a one-way ticket. Kawhi and PG both signed off on Ty's hiring but if it's not some magic wand that fixes the deeper problems with this roster, this whole house of cards collapses next summer.

Where would they go?

KL wants to be in LA and so does PG, though he did sign an extension with OKC.

So they'd opt out to join the Lakers and share billing with AD and LBJ? That's if the Lakers even will have cap space after they max out AD.

Depending on what happens to the cap over the next couple of years, there aren't going to be too many teams willing to sign max FAs.

Dallas, Miami, maybe NYK?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#66 » by esqtvd » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:17 pm

wco81 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:This is a one-way ticket. Kawhi and PG both signed off on Ty's hiring but if it's not some magic wand that fixes the deeper problems with this roster, this whole house of cards collapses next summer.

Where would they go?

KL wants to be in LA and so does PG, though he did sign an extension with OKC.

So they'd opt out to join the Lakers and share billing with AD and LBJ? That's if the Lakers even will have cap space after they max out AD.

Depending on what happens to the cap over the next couple of years, there aren't going to be too many teams willing to sign max FAs.

Dallas, Miami, maybe NYK?

Frankly, I think another failure would be the end of their partnership but PHX works for PG just fine too. They finished 8-0 in the bubble, and with Booker and Ayton they've really got something going over there.

47 min (52.1 mi) via I-5 N and CA-14 N
wco81
RealGM

Post#67 » by wco81 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:42 pm

That could happen but the Suns had a great run in the bubble because their young forwards Bridges and the rookie Johnson played so well.

They may not be as good as either KL or PG but they're a lot cheaper for the next couple of years.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,804

Post#68 » by og15 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:32 pm

I don't know why Lue should not be given a chance before simply writing him off. Billups seems like a nice option as an assistant too.

Being a coach of LeBron is always tough. If you succeed, LeBron is the reason, if you don't succeed, it's your fault. It's similar to being a teammate of LeBron, outside of the LeBron haters, it can be tough to get recognition, and blame is always around the corner.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#69 » by esqtvd » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:58 am

:rofl2:
wco81 wrote:That could happen but the Suns had a great run in the bubble because their young forwards Bridges and the rookie Johnson played so well.

They may not be as good as either KL or PG but they're a lot cheaper for the next couple of years.

You ask, we answer. :D If one of the finest two-way players in basketball history wants to join your team, you probably find a way.

Actually I hadn't thought about it until you brought it up and I checked the flight times: For an NBA zilllionaire, with a private jet you can be door-to-door from Talking Stick Arena to San Diego or Palmdale in under 2 hours, barely longer than it takes by car from Staples.

Money stuff aside, if I were a Clipper I'd be so out of here tomorrow. For Phoenix.

Let's make no mistake-- PHX is a live NBA destination if Kawhi sours on the Inglewood Ballmers. Kawhi risked maybe $100 milion to set up his contract with Ballmer with an escape hatch in Summer 2021.

I think we sold our soul. I feel nothing anymore and I don't think anyone on the Clippers roster does either. Whatever Doc built is gone. This is a corporation now, no more, no less. Who loves a corporation?

Question, WCO--Besides Kawhi and Zu--who's your favorite Clipper???

Good luck, Ty.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#70 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:04 pm

How is this troll not banned yet?
wco81
RealGM

Post#71 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:40 pm

esqtvd wrote:Question, WCO--Besides Kawhi and Zu--who's your favorite Clipper???

I don't have any favorites. I respect Kawhi's skills, though he's become too good at foul hunting.

Lou is good at it as well, high FT rate. But I respect the skills and the savvy, though it is annoying, just like when Harden does it.

Clippers are an interesting franchise, especially with CP3 and Griffin. They brought a lot of drama, even as they won, but they clearly alienated a lot of fans, with the level of Kobe-like whining to the refs after almost every play.

Kawhi is low or no drama. PG13 would be smart to tone down his act too. Better to be more like Kawhi, not Beverly.

But aside from the culture, they have one of the top rosters in the league so they're going to be under a lot of scrutiny from around the league.

I don't have a strong opinion on whether Doc should have been fired. It makes sense after all the years he's had. But he's going to be under a microscope in Philly.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#72 » by nickhx2 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:41 pm

og15 wrote:I don't know why Lue should not be given a chance before simply writing him off. Billups seems like a nice option as an assistant too.

Being a coach of LeBron is always tough. If you succeed, LeBron is the reason, if you don't succeed, it's your fault. It's similar to being a teammate of LeBron, outside of the LeBron haters, it can be tough to get recognition, and blame is always around the corner.

because narrative is all some people understand.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#73 » by esqtvd » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:57 pm

wco81 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Question, WCO--Besides Kawhi and Zu--who's your favorite Clipper???

I don't have any favorites. I respect Kawhi's skills, though he's become too good at foul hunting.

It was a rhetorical question directed at the fans here as well as the "fans." :lol: The point being, I don't think there's a lot to like on this roster. It's just a bunch of guys, all of whom stunk up the Bubble bigtime on every level.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#74 » by esqtvd » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:31 pm

og15 wrote:I don't know why Lue should not be given a chance before simply writing him off.

No, whine like a sissy biotch until at least May and see if he makes the Finals. :rofl2:

I loved this yesterday over at the sh*tshow they call the LA Times:

So Bill Plaschke now thinks that when the ā€œLakers hired cerebral coach Vogel,ā€ they found ā€œthe perfect curator for Jamesā€™ intelligent style.ā€

Bill must think no one would remember his column in the May 11, 2019 edition of The Times with the headline: ā€œFrank Vogelsā€™s hiring by Lakers prompts a question: Are they kidding?ā€ In this column, Bill came up with some real gems, such as ā€œThe Lakers have found a head coach for LeBron James whose teams were eliminated by James in the playoffs three consecutive seasons,ā€ ā€œIn its latest bewildering move, a franchise that once enjoyed a Whoā€™s Who of coaching talent hired a Whoā€™s That,ā€ and ā€œThere are legitimate questions about whether James will respect and follow a coach who has no Finals appearances and could never figure him out.ā€

It appears Bill just proved himself wrong.

John Bransfield
    Arroyo Grande

It's just too rich.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#75 » by TheNewEra » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:39 pm

nickhx2 wrote:also i saw the headline with gary payton wanting to try out as an assistant HC role. he said he was interested in player development, which seems like it would be good for our young guys. not sure if lue is gonna just stick to billups/drew, but that seems a bit scant for an entire staff.

I would like a big man coach to help up develop players long term.
wco81
RealGM

Post#76 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:53 pm

nickhx2 wrote:also i saw the headline with gary payton wanting to try out as an assistant HC role. he said he was interested in player development, which seems like it would be good for our young guys. not sure if lue is gonna just stick to billups/drew, but that seems a bit scant for an entire staff.

I think players get into coaching and they also learn how to coach. For many they start out helping the players scrimmage or do drills by getting on the practice court themselves.

You wonder about older former players who have been away from the game for a long time, whether they're willing to grind and learn the profession. Especially today, analytics are a part of coaching whereas when they played they probably weren't.

Stackhouse seems to have gotten started from bottom and has worked his way up. Other former players may be looking for a faster route to becoming HC and the big guaranteed contracts.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#77 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:19 pm

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

"Same thing but different" as we used to say in the huddle after a play failed. :-D

We shall see if the problem was the driver or the horses. The only new thing will be getting on the players' sh*t, which Doc didn't. Doc don't do Daddy Day Care. He treated them like adults and they failed. After this gutless collapse they may be more open to Ty kicking some ass--and ironically that's the one thing Doc needs to do with that kindergarten over in Philly lol. Out of the frying pan into the frying pan.

Ty's "changes" are only everything Doc talked about all the time--pace, ball movement. New combinations? Play the young'uns??What, was he supposed to play the G-Leaguers instead of Beverley, Shamet, Senior and the rest when they had barely played together themselves? And expect to beat the Lakers?

This is a one-way ticket. Kawhi and PG both signed off on Ty's hiring but if it's not some magic wand that fixes the deeper problems with this roster, this whole house of cards collapses next summer.

Well, one thing is certain- we'll finally have some new things to complain about. 8-)
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#78 » by nickhx2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 am

for sure we need someone working with zubac/kabe.

but for us to also maximize our assets we do need a guy working with mann. gary payton i imagine could do a lot of good there. i read a story about how he taught kobe some tricks and kobe ended up using them against him.

fwiw i don't think anyone knows one way or another what payton really is aiming for but starting at player development i'm sure would be fine and good for him.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#79 » by nickhx2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:38 am

whatever new things we have to complain about i'm sure can't ever be as bad as the dumpster fire that occurred during doc's reign.

i mean i guess we'll always have to complain about doc apologists, so i figure some things won't change.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#80 » by esqtvd » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:41 am

nickhx2 wrote:whatever new things we have to complain about i'm sure can't ever be as bad as the dumpster fire that occurred during doc's reign.

i mean i guess we'll always have to complain about doc apologists, so i figure some things won't change.

yes you will, and no they won't, apparently
God forbid anyone having a different opinion lol

but Doc is GONE
and if it was all Doc's fault I guess everything's ok now

so why all the biotching, Nick? :lol:

we'd have beat the Nuggets in 4
the Lakers in 7
and the Heat in 5

We have a championship team!!

Return to Los Angeles Clippers