ImageImageImage

We should probably still try to upgrade the 5 spot

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

We should probably still try to upgrade the 5 spot 

Post#1 » by Ernest » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Don't get me wrong, it really wasn't a problem this year. We all thought it would be and Theis really stepped up. Philly looked to be a possible nightmare match up due to size and they weren't. Kanter was alright and RWilliams showed some real promise at the end. But....

What are the odds it all just works out again? I mean on paper it really shouldn't. I get we can and will go small a lot. I do think Williams will really step up and I don't think Theis will take a step back. But.......

We just have too much talent on the team to risk it. We have an elite Defender in Smart. A superstar to be in Tatum and stars in Walker, Hayward and Brown.

I'm not saying we should trade someone important just to balance the roster, but we really should be looking at every option to help out the 5 spot. I'm wondering what options are out there. We've talked about trading (maybe Hayward) for one of the Indy bigs. There have to be a few other younger Centers out there we could get for Hayward or Brown or Walker right? So that's one option. We've talked a bit about vets we could just sign. Howard makes a lot of sense to me. No one seems to like the idea of DMC. What other vets could we grab that might be better than Kanter?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Re: We should probably still try to upgrade the 5 spot 

Post#2 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:30 pm

The list of centers one would trade Brown for is VERY short.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#3 » by darrendaye » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:32 pm

I vacillate about it, but, while not a clear solution, I've been hoping Ainge offers Harry Giles the MLE. Certainly a roll of the dice. My hesitation is he replicates Robert Williams and the roster is bloated already. But both have intriguing upside and should be entering their true judgement season next year.

In potentially losing Kanter, the biggest hit they take is elite level rebounding. Theoretically, this could be covered by drafting a strong rebounding 4 like Jalen Smith or Achiuwa and might explain their reported interest in Oturu, who would be a somewhat undersized 5, but with stretch potential.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,210

Post#4 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:45 pm

I still like the Trade of Hayward = for a Starting Center and some Bench Players (Turner, McDermott, +1).
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#5 » by captain green » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:36 pm

Make offer to Jacob poeltl hope San Antonio doesn't match if not try Harrell if no. Draft oturo and precious drop kanter poirer sign tacko.
But we have to give timelord minutes next year whether he bombs or not we have to see him playing.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,674

Post#6 » by Romeiro Celtic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:42 am

captain green wrote:Make offer to Jacob poeltl hope San Antonio doesn't match if not try Harrell if no. Draft oturo and precious drop kanter poirer sign tacko.
But we have to give timelord minutes next year whether he bombs or not we have to see him playing.

I don't think we have the capspace to make an offer for Poeltl
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,674

Post#7 » by Romeiro Celtic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 am

I personally liked this trade idea a friend came to me today https://tradenba.com/trades/g6JQWalvb
what do you guys think about it?
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#8 » by Spin Move » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:32 am

Romeiro Celtic wrote:I personally liked this trade idea a friend came to me today https://tradenba.com/trades/g6JQWalvb

He is not a good defender, you are just getting yourself a slightly less worrisome on defense version fo Enes Kanter, he can't switch in the pick and roll, I would not trade that kind of value for him based on fit. Take out the picks and I think about it but still say no, but then Memphis says no as well
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#9 » by Parliament10 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 am

Romeiro Celtic wrote:
captain green wrote:Make offer to Jacob poeltl hope San Antonio doesn't match if not try Harrell if no. Draft oturo and precious drop kanter poirer sign tacko.

I don't think we have the capspace to make an offer for Poeltl

Yeah. I think that you're right on that. No Cap space.

Spin Move wrote:
Romeiro Celtic wrote:I personally liked this trade idea a friend came to me today https://tradenba.com/trades/g6JQWalvb

He is not a good defender, you are just getting yourself a slightly less worrisome on defense version fo Enes Kanter, he can't switch in the pick and roll, I would not trade that kind of value for him based on fit. Take out the picks and I think about it but still say no, but then Memphis says no as well

Yeah. Too much for too little.
I'm still with the Hayward for Turner, McDermott, +1.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#10 » by Spin Move » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 am

The number of centers who would make us much better on both ends is small. KAT, AD, Nurkich, they are not easy to aquire. There are lesser centers like Myles Turner, who blocks shots and makes 3 but is an awful rebounder. There are lots of guys who block shots and rebound but don't shoot 3's (Your jarret allen types). The ones that can actually gaurd the pick and roll, block shots, rebound and shoot 3 are really small, we want a younger Serge Ibaka, if we cant get a KAT.

I would pursue Turner but not at the cost of more then Hayward who is expendable due to duplication of skills.
If we could trade Hayward or Smart for #2 and get Wiseman I would (We would have to provide some combo of #14 or taking back Wiggins in those scenarios). He is Chris Bosh, if he had played more last season we would have no chance of acquiring him and perhaps we don;t but he is the only real chance we have to get a close to KAT level player without trading Brown or Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#11 » by Parliament10 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:49 am

Spin Move wrote:The number of centers who would make us much better on both ends is small. KAT, AD, Nurkich, they are not easy to aquire. There are lesser centers like Myles Turner, who blocks shots and makes 3 but is an awful rebounder. There are lots of guys who block shots and rebound but don't shoot 3's (Your jarret allen types). The ones that can actually gaurd the pick and roll, block shots, rebound and shoot 3 are really small, we want a younger Serge Ibaka, if we cant get a KAT.

I would pursue Turner but not at the cost of more then Hayward who is expendable due to duplication of skills.
If we could trade Hayward or Smart for #2 and get Wiseman I would (We would have to provide some combo of #14 or taking back Wiggins in those scenarios). He is Chris Bosh, if he had played more last season we would have no chance of acquiring him and perhaps we don;t but he is the only real chance we have to get a close to KAT level player without trading Brown or Tatum

Too bad we couldn't pry KAT loose from Minnesota.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Post#12 » by flintsky21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:14 am

It depends on how much DA is willing to do a deal to get one. Because I believe he can get a guy like Vucevic if he really wants to, but it would involve giving up on Hayward and finally admitting that his signing was, to put it likely, a failure (not entirely Hayward's fault). I think the last big player to player trade DA made was the Kyrie Irving deal in the summer of '17. That's 3 years ago. We know DA loves his assets and picks, but has it come to the expense of missing opportunities to significantly improve the team along the way?
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#13 » by captain green » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:55 pm

Upgrading the 5 is essential in my opinion. No free agents can move the needle unless it's round 4 of euro unknown big. Faverini, thies, porier I'd say try the German league again we are 2 for 2 there leave the Frenchies alone we are 0 and 2 there. Hayward and picks can get us a big probably less overall talent intake though. And ainge drafts small guards and small ball bigs or just out right crappy ones so I don't have faith in that either. And it's a shame really last year needed to be a home run with at least one rookie and we might have got a single or struck out. Timelord is really are only hope. And at all costs we need to keep thies because without him we would be screwed. If we keep the picks time to bring in bigs we can always find little dudes later. I don't believe in getting another to eventually take over or whatever **** that others are on board with. As far as I'm concerned 2 /3 of roster can play the damn pg. And yet we have guys saying we need a pg pfft come on man .
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.

Return to Boston Celtics